IGNORED

Officially Made the Switch to Blades.

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I lost about 8 strokes off my game after switching to my 695MBs, in one half season.  I was previously playing Titleist 755s, and before that, Big Bertha monster cavity backs.  The Berthas were hook machines, the 755s were much better but I was still pretty inconsistant, and the current 695MBs are never leaving my bag.....  Maybe it has more to do with better suited shafts, but I have never hit so many nice shots and my misses are much more manageable.  My 4, 5 and 8 are my go-to irons and use the 3 quite often after hitting an errant drive. Just played my first round of the season today.  Played to my index, and could have been better if the range was open to work on my driver, as it lost me 2 balls today. I just think your statement is a pretty vague generalization...

I suppose I was still a little disappointed by my range session today. I admit that my thin shots and shanks ended up pretty much where I was aiming, but they felt really bad. The scenario that @Golfingdad brought up was not even as bad as he outlined, but it felt so much worse when it wasn't just right. So much so, I was ready to snap the club in half. My 3i performance was so bad. I had two decent flights out to the right distances followed by 6 erratic shots. Some of the inconsistency might be due to the lie as the ground was very uneven, but I know that the game improvement clubs are still better suited for my current ball striking ability under the same conditions. Who knows, I might do a 180 at the end of the year if I can hit this 3i and everything shorter with some consistency.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finally took the plunge and switched over to blades. I've been working extremely hard on my swing and it is now consistent and repeatable. I've always loved the look and feel of blades but I wanted to wait until I had the confidence in my swing before I bought a set.

Well, yesterday I purchased a used set of Mizuno MP 68's in great condition. Went to the range today and I totally made the right decision in purchasing blades.

The feel, look at address, the confidence they inspire, accuracy, well, I could go on. I love them. I won't be putting cavity backs into my bag until I absolutely have to due to age and loss of power.

Can't wait to take them to the course!!

Weren't you playing a set of Scratch irons? What happened to those?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

What are you gaming shorty?

TaylorMade Rocketbladez Tour

Previously Adams CB2

Previously Mizuno MP57

Previously Mizuno MP60

Just wondering if you got to compare the standard rbz with the rbz tour? And if so?.. What are the major differences?,.. if any?

Gaz Lee

I play the MP-57.  But I also have a six iron (demos that I got for $5 each from a shop that was closing) of the MP58, MP60, MP32.

The 58, 60 and 32 feel great on pure shots, but significantly worse on off center hits.  They lose distance too.  If I am playing 18, and hitting my irons let say 20 times in a round, I will have maybe 3 pure hits, 10-12 slight misses (off center or slightly heavy) and 5 WTF shots.  With that pattern, I want a bit more forgiveness that I would get with the 60 or 32.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Weren't you playing a set of Scratch irons? What happened to those?

I still have them and I still love them but I've always wanted to switch to a bladed iron. I tried my buddies MP 32's about a month ago at the range and then borrowed them for my first round of the year and shot a legit 81 at a moderately difficult course here in Niagara. The mishits that I had weren't as punishable as everyone would seem or says. I was still getting decent yardage and ball flight off of toe and heel hits. Purely struck shots were unbelievable and I was flag hunting almost all day. Now, I don't expect all of my rounds to be that way, this is golf!!

This prompted me to pick up a set of MP 68's because supposedly the 68's are a hybrid of all of the good qualities of the MP blade line. I'm heading out in an hour to play my first round with these clubs and I'm excited but not expecting to par the course. Like I said, they've been incredible at the range. I'm hitting 5 to PW very well but haven't pulled the 4 iron out yet. I never really used a 4 iron even with my other sets because I have a 7 wood for those shots which I hit consistently well. I will teach myself to hit a good 4 iron though.

Anyways, who cares if I'm playing blades. I'm not a wannabe nor am I trying to "look" like a player. I feel much more confident at address and that's what has prompted me to think about making the switch. When I'm looking at a thick top line it really throws me off. I don't know why some of you are all up in arms over this. Is it affecting your game? No, thought not. Big f**king deal, I bought and am now gaming blades. The world will now come to an end.

Simple, they don't have egos to stroke, when someone can't play the way they want people to think of them the next best thing is to look like it. I had a friend who was a mid-high capper who wasted his money on a set of blades only to ditch the things after a few months, his mishits were just awful to watch and you could hear that horrible clanky sound of a toed shot, he asked me if I wanted to buy them I just said what for? do I look like I need any more frustration in my game? If the OP is happy with what he has then fine but I have been around long enough just like others to know you don't go and buy blades for forgiveness and consistency you buy them to work the ball, however the only payers who can do that on a consistent level are usually in + index range not 10-18.

I'm currently learning how to work the ball with my coach. This is something that is going to take time and practice and I'm not in a hurry to add these shots to my bag on the course just yet. I find the blades amazing when I'm trying to knock the ball down for when I'm playing on a windy day and like I said before, I love how much tighter the dispersion is as well. I can get an incredibly high ball flight when needed as well.  I've tried to draw the ball a few times at the range and I do find it slightly easier with the 68's but I still have work to do on those shots just yet.

I still have them and I still love them but I've always wanted to switch to a bladed iron. I tried my buddies MP 32's about a month ago at the range and then borrowed them for my first round of the year and shot a legit 81 at a moderately difficult course here in Niagara. The mishits that I had weren't as punishable as everyone would seem or says. I was still getting decent yardage and ball flight off of toe and heel hits. Purely struck shots were unbelievable and I was flag hunting almost all day. Now, I don't expect all of my rounds to be that way, this is golf!!

Not for "distance", but were you hitting a lot of greens or depending on up and downs more? I shot an unofficial 40 and a carded 42 and 46 for 27 holes in one day. The 6 stroke difference in scores was probably just my mood. This never happened when I was using my game improvement players clubs. I admit that my scores seem to be going down, but I feel like that's despite the fact that I am using blades. Sure, the pure shots feel unbelievably good, almost like a drug addiction. The issue is when they don't feel that good, it's a real downer. It makes some of us want to snap the club in half.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not for "distance", but were you hitting a lot of greens or depending on up and downs more? I shot an unofficial 40 and a carded 42 and 46 for 27 holes in one day. The 6 stroke difference in scores was probably just my mood. This never happened when I was using my game improvement players clubs.

I admit that my scores seem to be going down, but I feel like that's despite the fact that I am using blades.

Sure, the pure shots feel unbelievably good, almost like a drug addiction. The issue is when they don't feel that good, it's a real downer. It makes some of us want to snap the club in half.

I was hitting a lot of greens. My driving has improved dramatically over the past year due to proper lessons and relentless hard work and practice. This allows me to be in scoring range on most par 4's when I drive the ball well. When I say scoring range, I mean 150 yards or less. With the MP 32's, I was hitting greens more than normal, high, soft landing beautiful shots. Sure, they weren't all within 10 feet from the pin but at least I was on the dance floor. Maybe it's just a novelty that will wear off when I have a terrible round with the blades but I've had terrible rounds with game improvement clubs so I expect that will happen sooner or later. Plus, it's my swing that dictates the terrible round, not the clubs.

I had an excellent day with the MP 32's and I was hitting greens like crazy. I find the MP 68's to be as or even slightly more forgiving than the MP 32's and the MP 32's are very forgiving for a blade. I think that most people have a huge misunderstanding when it comes to blades. I was really taken back at how forgiving they can actually be. I thought that heel and toe hits would be these dreadful worm burners that would go 50 yards and sting all the way into your armpits. Not the case at all. One thing about mishits with blades is that they still go straight. I found that mishits with my GI clubs would either hook or slice with a loss of yardage. My MP 68's still go straight but at a loss of distance of course.

I was hitting a lot of greens. My driving has improved dramatically over the past year due to proper lessons and relentless hard work and practice. This allows me to be in scoring range on most par 4's when I drive the ball well. When I say scoring range, I mean 150 yards or less. With the MP 32's, I was hitting greens more than normal, high, soft landing beautiful shots. Sure, they weren't all within 10 feet from the pin but at least I was on the dance floor. Maybe it's just a novelty that will wear off when I have a terrible round with the blades but I've had terrible rounds with game improvement clubs so I expect that will happen sooner or later. Plus, it's my swing that dictates the terrible round, not the clubs. I had an excellent day with the MP 32's and I was hitting greens like crazy. I find the MP 68's to be as or even slightly more forgiving than the MP 32's and the MP 32's are very forgiving for a blade. I think that most people have a huge misunderstanding when it comes to blades. I was really taken back at how forgiving they can actually be. I thought that heel and toe hits would be these dreadful worm burners that would go 50 yards and sting all the way into your armpits. Not the case at all. One thing about mishits with blades is that they still go straight. I found that mishits with my GI clubs would either hook or slice with a loss of yardage. My MP 68's still go straight but at a loss of distance of course.

This gives me some hope when I get down to your HC. I'm happy to hear that the 68s appear more forgiving, because the 52s are the cavity backs from hell. Keep us posted on your progress with the MP68. BTW, all my comments about blades adding strokes were more geared towards the 16 to 22 handicap crowd.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

And Mizuno's promotion is full of more bullshit than any other brand becuase it's self consciously understated and almost reverse snobbery. People buy into the nonsense about GF forging and think they are buying a samurai sword rather than a mass produced lump of steel.

Lol at this comment.

I have been kicking around replacing my MP33s with AP2s and may probably still but the fact is the misses with the blades are not that bad. I don't always like the instant loss of 10 yards if you miss the sweet spot but I have played my best rounds of golf with them. This year is probably my best swing year to date so I expect good things and I am not super excited to sell them either, considering I have to put out 400-500 extra clams to get into the APs.

They are much more accurate and I just need to get my distances nailed down. This is only the second year playing them.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

The usual rehashed rhetoric about being forced to hit pure shots and feedback and great for practice and working the ball etc. etc etc.

And Mizuno's promotion is full of more bullshit than any other brand becuase it's self consciously understated and almost reverse snobbery. People buy into the nonsense about GF forging and think they are buying a samurai sword rather than a mass produced lump of steel.

All of these advantages exist for all but the most shovel like irons like Callaway Big Berthas from years ago.

Don't get me wrong - I had a friend who had 67s and he hit some amazing shots with them. But if he had something more forgiving he would hav ehit more great shots.

He just liked the idea of looking like a "player".

People can play what they like, but they need to be informed.

Grain Flow is absolutely crucial in high quality Plain Carbon Steel. I'm a mechanical Engineer so I know quite a bit about the microstructure of steel. The Grain Flow Forging process that Mizuno has in their manufacturing process produces high quality Plain Carbon Steel. When you have the grains tightly packed together, uniform and flowing in one direction with minimal inter-lamellar spacing, you have a steel that is preferable for high stress. This particular forging process produces a fibrous grain structure that maximizes toughness, has better strength and resistance to fatigue. When you have such a high quality steel such as this, you have the ability to create superior feel and sound with the product. Grain Flow Forging is NOT bullshit and is a widely used process to create superior quality Plain Carbon Steel. The more favourable the grain orientation, the better the steel, the better the golf club. Plain and simple.

Grain Flow you say! :D

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I have been playing some Titleist 690.MB irons 3-pw this season. I am an extremely high handicapper (if I cared to keep a handicap). I shoot in the upper 90s most of the time. These blades have not cost me any strokes, my scores have gone down if anything...however I would say my significantly lower rounds are due to much improved putting and drives that are playable.

I do not find blades to be a killer, especially for high handicappers. Misses go straight still which may actually save me some shots. And I believe blades would not hurt any high handicappers due to the fact that we are so bad we will find many other ways to screw up our scorecard no matter what clubs we are using.

And this study/article has some design flaws but it is more technical and unbiased than anything I have ever seen regarding the never ending blade vs cavity back debate.

http://3jack.blogspot.com/2010/02/blades-vs-game-improvement-irons.html

Please read this if you ever post about blades being an instant scorecard destroyer! According to this, it may be the opposite :O

And to the OP. Glad you are enjoying your 68s. Those are sweet clubs and I'm super jealous. I can't wait till I run into a nice set of used mizuno blades for a good price. I feel the same way about playing blades....they are fun for me and fun is the only reason I play the game so I love my blades!

I have been playing some Titleist 690.MB irons 3-pw this season. I am an extremely high handicapper (if I cared to keep a handicap). I shoot in the upper 90s most of the time. These blades have not cost me any strokes, my scores have gone down if anything...however I would say my significantly lower rounds are due to much improved putting and drives that are playable. I do not find blades to be a killer, especially for high handicappers. Misses go straight still which may actually save me some shots. And I believe blades would not hurt any high handicappers due to the fact that we are so bad we will find many other ways to screw up our scorecard no matter what clubs we are using. And this study/article has some design flaws but it is more technical and unbiased than anything I have ever seen regarding the never ending blade vs cavity back debate. [URL=http://3jack.blogspot.com/2010/02/blades-vs-game-improvement-irons.html]http://3jack.blogspot.com/2010/02/blades-vs-game-improvement-irons.html[/URL] Please read this if you ever post about blades being an instant scorecard destroyer! According to this, it may be the opposite :O And to the OP. Glad you are enjoying your 68s. Those are sweet clubs and I'm super jealous. I can't wait till I run into a nice set of used mizuno blades for a good price. I feel the same way about playing blades....they are fun for me and fun is the only reason I play the game so I love my blades!

Read the link. Interestingly, the very first comment was that the sample size was too small to be a legitimately valid study. Just sayin'....... I do agree though, if your goal is simply to have fun, play whatever you want and to heck with what anyone else says or thinks. Truth be told though, most of us have more fun when we're scoring better. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Nice thread...congrats on your new blades Paiste...enjoy them !

I played blades for years...Wilson Staff and the best blades I've ever owned Macgregor Tourney Reg M75T...played them until my car was stolen (and never recovered) along with my clubs back in 2004...they were made in the 60s and were simply great...I've had some health issues and have returned to the game after a 4 year hiatus...being aged 62 I naturally thought I might need some more forgiving irons and purchase some Mizuno MX-200...a forged GI iron that works for me...I am currently back on track and scoring like I used to...I'm not saying its the irons (more my brain) but they have helped...blades are great and can teach you how to strike the ball if you are patient enough to learn

What's in my bag

Cobra Speed LD-F 10.5* Driver

Callaway XHot 15* 3-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 5-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 7-wood

Wilson Staff Ci9 Irons 4-GW

Mizuno T-Zoid Sand Wedge 56*

Odyssey White Hot #2

The only times I've ever hit any blades were the few occasions where I hit somebody else's clubs just messing around, and surprisingly (to me at least) I always hit them just fine (or at least fine by my substandards). ;-)

Just got in from my first official round with my MP 68's and was my best round to date. I'm not just saying this to justify my purchase either. I was driving the ball very well today which put me in scoring range on quite a few occasions. I ended up scoring an 80 and the irons did not disappoint. I was striking the ball very clean and crisp. There was not a lick of wind today so my iron shots were nice and high and landed soft with a little spin. Even shots that were towards the heel were struck very good. Most of shots today were on center and I was extremely pleased. Looking forward to my next round.

Just got in from my first official round with my MP 68's and was my best round to date. I'm not just saying this to justify my purchase either. I was driving the ball very well today which put me in scoring range on quite a few occasions. I ended up scoring an 80 and the irons did not disappoint. I was striking the ball very clean and crisp. There was not a lick of wind today so my iron shots were nice and high and landed soft with a little spin. Even shots that were towards the heel were struck very good. Most of shots today were on center and I was extremely pleased. Looking forward to my next round.

I can A) say congrats or B) debate how blades will impact your game long term blah blah blah I will go with A). Congrats ... Glad you enjoyed your purchase and had a great round of golf regardless of the score ... After all isn't that why you tee it up ... To have fun and enjoy golf. Thanks for the update!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!