IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had a frustrating 104 today.  I was just missing on shots and it was getting me in a ton of trouble.  A few tee shots caught a slope wrong and trickled OB by a foot.  An approach shot that I thought I hit perfect was a little right and caught the edge of the bunker and buried.  It missed going over and onto the green by a foot.  I had 2 approach shots that I hit fat and one landed in a bunker (took me 3 shots to get out) and another got lost in a random group of bushes.  I was in 3 green side bunkers that took me 7 shots to get out of and some of the shots getting out were blades across the green then add on my 3 putts, my scored added up.  I feel like I am really close to turning this around.  I did hit a beautiful 270 yard drive that left me a 60 yard pitch into the green that I hit to within 10 feet and birded and I had back to back pars at one point.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

Had a frustrating 104 today.  I was just missing on shots and it was getting me in a ton of trouble.  A few tee shots caught a slope wrong and trickled OB by a foot.  An approach shot that I thought I hit perfect was a little right and caught the edge of the bunker and buried.  It missed going over and onto the green by a foot.  I had 2 approach shots that I hit fat and one landed in a bunker (took me 3 shots to get out) and another got lost in a random group of bushes.  I was in 3 green side bunkers that took me 7 shots to get out of and some of the shots getting out were blades across the green then add on my 3 putts, my scored added up.  I feel like I am really close to turning this around.  I did hit a beautiful 270 yard drive that left me a 60 yard pitch into the green that I hit to within 10 feet and birded and I had back to back pars at one point.

Interestingly, I saw a quick blurb on the golf channel at the beginning of he season on how to play bunker shots and just using what the blurb dude said has enabled me to have a pretty dang good sand game. I never fret the sand anymore.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Duff McGee , they used to be something I never have to worry about because they are too close to the green. Now that my accuracy is getting better, the sand is coming into play.

- David -

@Duff McGee , they used to be something I never have to worry about because they are too close to the green. Now that my accuracy is getting better, the sand is coming into play.

Haha I know the feeling.

Speaking of sand... I played with a guy who was pretty much aiming for bunkers on every hole if he couldn't get the green. His chipping sucked - I mean really sucked worse than mine. But his bunker play? Amazing. He'd land and stop it within six feet of the hole every time.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I played 18 last night.  It was both a mistake and great idea.  Front 9 was terrible.  Scored a 10 on the first hole.  Lost 4 (!) balls on the second tee.  (The course was empty -- no one behind me and a twosome somewhere out in front of me -- or I would have moved to the next hole after losing the second.)  I just hacked my way around and as best as I could, trying to figure out where the problem was.  I finally got it together at the 7th.  Scored par on 8 and 9 and decided to play the back 9.  I won't say I didn't anything spectacular on the back 9 but by persevering through the front, I righted the ship and enjoyed the round overall.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Slice came back last week. Spent a little time on the range friday and tried a slightly different stance, ball flew straigth'ish, slight fade. Hope it translates to the tee box today

Slice came back last week. Spent a little time on the range friday and tried a slightly different stance, ball flew straigth'ish, slight fade. Hope it translates to the tee box today

It worked, shot a 42+44-86-kept it in the fairway, 15 or 20 yards further

It worked, shot a 42+44-86-kept it in the fairway, 15 or 20 yards further

Nice!

I was on my way to sub 100 round on Sunday.  I wasn't play particularly great but playing fairly consistent. Nothing worse than a double, with several bogeys and and a few pars sprinkled in.  Then on the last hole I hit an OK drive, but then every shot after was a disaster.  Topped a 7 wood that went about 50 yards, shanked a 9 iron that probably went another 30 yards, bladed a SW that flew the green and landed in a bunker, took two shots to get out of the bunker with the second flying the green... 1 chip and 3 putts later I carded a 10 on the hole. For a 102, 101 ESC. :censored:

These blow up holes are what I need to eliminate...they seem to come out of no where and I am not sure how limit the damage.  Anyway I am sure I will be hanging out in this thread for quite awhile yet!

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

I think on my next round, I am going to keep the 3 wood and driver in the bag and just go hybrid off the tee to see if I can eliminate the 8 and 9's I occasionally get.  Not many of our Par 4's are over 400, so if I can go 210 off the tee and can reach the green with a longer iron or hit my 3rd shot on and get bogies.  Until I can get the driver to where it is in bounds on every swing, it is running up my scores.  One swing will be perfect and the next will be OB.

- David -

Played 18 on Saturday with a 55 on the front, but I started playing much better on the back. All was going well until a ridiculous pin placement on 15. The green was a big hill with the pin right on the top. I was putting uphill and would come up short and roll way back to the fringe. Did this a few times, then hit way past only to hit it too hard and back down the hill. Drove me nuts and ended up 8 putting! Ended up with a 108.

An 8 putt!?!?!  I would of quit after 4 probably

- David -

Went and played for the first time since mid July (finished up grad school FINALLY)

Shot a 47 on a quick 9 hole round. Drove the ball straight (but not very far). My second shot was money today, which is usually where I struggle. I had a 5ft birdie putt that I PED'd into next week. I had to sink a 15 footer to save par. Then I proceeded to stink it up on the putting green for the remainder of the afternoon. Even with an average putting day, I could've shaved an easy 3-5 strokes off my score. I couldn't figure out the flatstick.

Felt good to get back out there after a little hiatus. Glad school is done. It's great hearing all of the success stories from guys (and gals?) in this group. Let's keep it up folks!

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

Just got done playing a few hours ago and came home with a 91 for my best round ever by 5 strokes.  I'm still going to put myself into the "Trying to Break 100" club until I can keep these scores down.  It might just be a flash in the pan thing for the time being.  There was some weird stuff going on.  I got better as the darkness came.  I'm talking darkness where you cannot see the ball after you hit it the last few holes.  That goes for the close stuff too around the greens.  I went by sound for some of them and hoped and prayed they were not too far off the beaten path.  For some reason, my drives were terrible in the sense that they did not hit too many fairways of the hole I was playing.   Contact felt solid but they just did not go where I wanted.  Today was a slice day with the driver.  The drive after my hole-in-one was a 132 yard piece of crap that had me laughing out loud.  My 3 & 5 woods bailed me out on many occasions and got me real close to the green.  It may sound strange but right now I have better confidence hitting the ball out of the rough than I do on the fairways.  The ball was always sitting up and I got some good whacks at them.  I seem to hit some real crap in the short grass if any longer distance is involved.  My shots around the green were nothing to write home about either.  I need to learn how to hit a chip (and fast) because the few I've tried are horrible.  Oh if they all would be in sync for a round instead of one hole.

Bogey

Bogey

Double Bogey

Hole-in-One

Double Bogey

Double Bogey

Quad

Double Bogey

Bogey

Triple Bogey

Par

Bogey

Bogey

Par

Par

Bogey

Bogey

Par

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/565706

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Just got done playing a few hours ago and came home with a 91 for my best round ever by 5 strokes.  I'm still going to put myself into the "Trying to Break 100" club until I can keep these scores down.  It might just be a flash in the pan thing for the time being.  There was some weird stuff going on.  I got better as the darkness came.  I'm talking darkness where you cannot see the ball after you hit it the last few holes.  That goes for the close stuff too around the greens.  I went by sound for some of them and hoped and prayed they were not too far off the beaten path.  For some reason, my drives were terrible in the sense that they did not hit too many fairways of the hole I was playing.   Contact felt solid but they just did not go where I wanted.  Today was a slice day with the driver.  The drive after my hole-in-one was a 132 yard piece of crap that had me laughing out loud.  My 3 & 5 woods bailed me out on many occasions and got me real close to the green.  It may sound strange but right now I have better confidence hitting the ball out of the rough than I do on the fairways.  The ball was always sitting up and I got some good whacks at them.  I seem to hit some real crap in the short grass if any longer distance is involved.  My shots around the green were nothing to write home about either.  I need to learn how to hit a chip (and fast) because the few I've tried are horrible.  Oh if they all would be in sync for a round instead of one hole.

Hole-in-One

You had a hole in one and you didn't lead the story with that?!?!?!?!?!  Congrats!!!!  Congrats on the 91 also.

- David -

You had a hole in one and you didn't lead the story with that?!?!?!?!?!  Congrats!!!!  Congrats on the 91 also.

I made a separate thread about that. :-)

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Bogey

Bogey

Double Bogey

Hole-in-One

Double Bogey

Double Bogey

Quad

Double Bogey

Bogey

Triple Bogey

Par

Bogey

Bogey

Par

Par

Bogey

Bogey

Par

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/565706

Congrants on the 91 and the hole in one!  That is great!

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!