IGNORED

Know Any Really Good Golfers That Completely Quit Due to Frustration?

Todd Ruggere
Note: This thread is 1276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Cuz otherwise, what's the goal here?

I have a few guesses:

• Troll
  • Drinking problem
  • Just an arrogant, miserable human being

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

iacas: Identify the real source of your anger. It's not me. Perhaps it's the realities I pointed out? Relax and get ready for 420. Don't worry, I'm outta here. Also, I don't fish, prefer distance running. Chill, bro. I can't help it if the game is losing millions of players and the youngsters have no interest. Not my fault scores have been the same for the last 30 years. Ask yourself why you can't accept a different viewpoint? You're taking swatting a ball into the woods a little too seriously. Adios, boys and girls!

I think we need to take into account the different types of golfers. Those for whom golf is their living and the rest of us who play for the "fun" of it.

For us weekend golfers we need to keep reminding ourselves why we play and that form is often temporary and fleeting. I dont think its too hard for a regular golfer to go from shooting low to higher rounds and still enjoy it. (some will find it easier than others im sure ;-)).

For the pro's its more dificult. If we miss a 2 footer its a touch embarrasing and our mates laugh, but if they miss one it could be the difference between buying a new car or not paying the rent. Like i said in my previous post, for a lot of the guys on the minor tours they often find out that they can make more money in a regular day job with less stress and uncertainty.

For the teaching pro's im sure its a similar story. If you are good at what you do then the bills are paid and life is rosey, but if you arent and the students aren't choosing you then i can see the frustration building.

The guy i worked with didnt play at all for two years after he quit. He said it took a trip to a pitch and putt with a friend for a laugh to rekindle his love for the game.

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Textbook Pterodactyl...swoops in, shits on everything, flies away.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Fitcat21 said:

iacas: Identify the real source of your anger. It's not me.

No anger here at all. Just bewilderment at your weak efforts to, I don't know, make other people quit golf?

I can't help it if the game is losing millions of players and the youngsters have no interest.

Girls golf is the fastest growing segment, and junior golf is rising right now as well, through efforts like the First Tee, Drive, Chip, and Putt, PGA Junior League, etc.

Nice try though.

Not my fault scores have been the same for the last 30 years.

More incorrect facts:

Oops.

10 minutes ago, Fitcat21 said:

Ask yourself why you can't accept a different viewpoint? You're taking swatting a ball into the woods a little too seriously. Adios, boys and girls!

It's not the "different viewpoint" I can't accept. It's trolling I don't accept.

Au revoir.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/16/2014 at 10:41 AM, Vinsk said:

Playing poorly isn't fun guys. I can take a walk anywhere and enjoy the outdoors. I live in Colorado for ****** sake! LOL. If I just wanted to enjoy myself there are a million ways to do that. I play golf because I love the challenge, true. But like any other sport I've played, hard work and dedication deserves some reward. 

Well said.

I've played with several guys now who admitted to me they didn't get good at golf until they retired and were able to play every day. Some of these guys also quit for long stretches at a time, due to life's circumstances. 

I do enjoy playing golf. But IMO no sport has a smaller ROI. If I invested this much time and money into any other sport, I'd be very, very, good right now. 

Edited by Kalnoky

54 minutes ago, Fitcat21 said:

stuff.

I'm sorry you no longer love golf.   Perhaps you never did.   But, I certainly disagree with your viewpoint.     Don't get me wrong, I love days when I shoot 80.   but, I have also had some of them funnest days on the course while I shoot 90+, but just having a good time hacking the ball around with friends.    

Maybe it's possible that you are just too focused on all the other people on the course, to just stop and enjoy the game for yourself?    possibly try a different course?   a different time of day?  
no need to be a curmudgeon just because you can't hit the ball the way you used too.   There's room out here for all types of golfers. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/death-watch-how-much-longer-can-golf-survive-2017-04-18

That's for my pal iacas, or whatever the spelling is..

No troll, no drinking - gotta clear that up. I won't take his caustic remarks sitting down! LOL

This is all *off topic* now so this is where everybody starts flipping out - I get it and apologize right now to all here reading this. I really do. I know people love the game. Non disrespect meant. I wanna be clear on this. 

Still, it must be said:

Improved by how much for how many people? Two strokes?One? So it's a big deal to go from 93 to 91? LOL

How come the LPGA isn't on CBS, NBC??  

That's an easy one. The sheer excitement of watching the mechanical Asian girls winning every week is just soooooo exciting. They ARE hotttt - I'll say that!

When the older people die off there won't be enough replacements, just like what is happening with harness racing tracks. Every young guy that joined us on the course was on the phone almost every hole. How many rounds of golf does the average player play? How many courses are being bulldozed vs new ones being built?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-08-15/america-s-golf-courses-are-burning

It's on the wall, man. Dead game, laddie. I can go all day with this but what's the point? Kids start playing and find out it's too hard and they will get worse despite the *instruction* and all the blown $$$. They move on, stay glued to their phones and do other stuff. Face it, the courses allow 5 hour rounds, it's too much money, you're gonna generally not improve after two years according to some data. Then, you get older and really start to suck. Not a lot of fun for guys making a 7 degree shoulder turn. lol

This concludes my erudite exposition directed at my angry detractor. My feedback should be appreciated. You want this forum to be like a nursing home? Lighten up, 8 days to 420.  Hit your local dispensary! Chill out. The really smart guys know how to improve with minimal effort: get a pencil with an eraser and take 18 mulligans! lol

What kinda site is this? Can't delete my account? Never heard of such a thing????

Adios!

15 minutes ago, Fitcat21 said:

more stuff. 

I'm just...    not even sure what the point is..  

Edited by lastings

check out my swing here

Fitcat21 I wont "@" you since you probably don't want any notifications from the site, but I'm a huge fan of the sweeping generalizations. YUUUGE.  If I had a dollar for every industry that is supposedly dying because of my generation I'd be retired at 26.  Thanks for the constant clickbait emails, LinkedIn, as well as the contradicting articles about the industries we're saving (which happen to be some of the one's we're "killing"???) Markets have their ebbs and flows and yet any blip makes for a pretty exciting article in a time when the non-stop news feed needs to be fed.  Not to mention data can basically manipulated to back up whatever claim you're making...

Where I work has a rotational program and it seems every new person through here plays golf.  It's almost annoying since too many people under 30 play golf to organize straightforward foursomes.  It used to be the company charity scramble had "that team" of young guys.  Now there's at least 3.  But hey, those are just my observations and who am I but a dumb millennial that didn't understand your post because it didn't have enough emojis.  Enjoy the toke my man.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Fitcat21 said:

Adios!

You said that already. Let’s hope it’s true this time.

Bye bye, troll.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This may be the first time I've ever suggested this, but there are some people that the sport simply won't miss.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

This guy is pretty funny.

I have been playing for about 6 years and keep getting better every season. 

My son is just getting into golf and likes it better than playing with his phone.

Every weekend I go out with my buds we have a ton of fun no matter what the scores.  When we play for money, we use our handicaps to make it even.  We always see a packed course no matter where we play.

Sorry folks, sport is dead.  Mail all your unused golf clubs to me... no need to keep them in your house collecting dust!

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

what's weird is, I can't imagine he's telling the truth.   You're telling me that he got paired up with a 20-something single and that kid was on his phone on every hole?   I don't believe it for a second.  

sure, there are obnoxious people on golf courses sometimes.   But, those people don't play as singles.  players that care enough to play by themselves are there for the game.  

check out my swing here

18 minutes ago, lastings said:

You're telling me that he got paired up with a 20-something single and that kid was on his phone on every hole?   I don't believe it for a second.  

I joined a twosome once and one of them -- who was at least 40 years old -- constantly checked his phone, either checking football scores or texting. I mean this guy would stop in the middle of the fairway while walking to his ball to reply to a text*. Neither he, nor the woman he was with, could be considered avid golfers anyway, but it just proves that smartphone addiction is not an age-related problem.

* I played three holes with these people and they were so slow that I finally said, "I'm trying to get a full 18 in today so I'm going to play on ahead."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

7 minutes ago, krupa said:

* I played three holes with these people and they were so slow that I finally said, "I'm trying to get a full 18 in today so I'm going to play on ahead."

Good job on that!  I would have been gone as well.  I am here to play 18 and then go do other stuff.  Those who don't mind being out there for 5+ hours are no fun to play with.

I have been paired with a few sales guys that were just like you described... once I just picked up and drove off to the next hole and continued playing.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

to be fair, I use the GPS on my phone, so I am looking at my phone on every hole.   

check out my swing here

Sorry, gotta respond to the idiocy. Lastings "doesn't believe it for a second." You're in fantasy land. I have no reason to make this stuff up - NONE. The kid was tending the flag with one hand and holding his phone in the middle of a text with the other. I'm NOT making this up. Two young guys were in front of us one time at the 150 so we had to wait. For some reason they would not hit. Then we see the reason: busy texting in the middle of the fairway. Just stood there for 10 minutes oblivious to protocol. Another time on a par three there were three older guys on the green and the fourth was a young guy still off the fairway near the woods. He was on his phone with one hand and swatting at the ball with a wedge with the other - again, not making this stuff up. These are not isolated incidents. This is the way it is. If you think otherwise then go play with these youngsters and monitor this phone addiction for yourself. I played with a guy who owned a limo company - on the phone almost every hole. The guy is on the tee box chatting away on my downswing like I'm not even there. This is the future - you wanna ignore it or deny it then go right ahead. I GUARANTEE this will happen to you and when it does you will remember these comments. I used to play 150 rounds a year and I've seen stuff you wouldn't believe: carts abandoned on two holes in a row and just sitting in the middle of the fairway. Why? The *golfers* were picking up chestnuts. We joined a new course to avoid some of this and we ended up behind the last group on *ladies' day" on our first outing. The result: front nine in 3 hours flat. Yes, the all-time record. The idea that young people are gonna save golf is ludicrous and delusional. They're checking their facebook pals on the first green! LOL Again, these are not isolated incidents. Go play 150 rounds a year on public courses and marvel at the lunacy. I did. I have no motive to fabricate this. The aforementioned occurrences are more reasons to abandon the game, in addition to deteriorating skills. You quit now and three years from now you take the money you saved and buy a Fiat Spyder.  lol You people think the *First Tee* is gonna help? They'll be playing 7 hour rounds - Facebook, Myspace, Instagram, emails, texting... Wake up. Ask anybody who plays 150 rounds what really goes on and they will tell you. All this is off topic but I won't sit here and have people accuse my of making it up. Call me any freaking names you want. Just don't call me a liar. THAT's the real bullshit here, not my comments. I'm not here to persuade anybody to quit. Can I be any clearer? I just quit and came on here and opened a can of worms by mistake. That's what happened. Play all you want - it doesn't affect me. Just remember, it's a dead game, laddies and you could have had a Spyder! lol 

Adios, amigos

Note: This thread is 1276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!