IGNORED

San Francisco Driving Range

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alright, only had 30 minutes at the simulator before they close because work ran a bit long.  Here are two shots with no warmup or anything. Kinda missed the first one, ~320 yards but way right, however the second one is alright at 342 yards. -----------------------------------APOLOGIES BELOW THIS LINE------------------------------------

Thats impressive :bugout:

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Yes, tremendous speed there. Gotta admit, I too figured you were a troll. Thanks for backing it up so quickly.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Impressive. Most impressive.

You might be screwed in finding a range in reasonable driving distance. I'm curious about the rest of your game though. With a driving distance such as yours, it seems that you would be chipping and putting for birdie a lot.

Something else to consider, when taking video, it's better if you do so horizontally to avoid VVS.

- Shane

I suppose it is a bit troll friendly to write on a forum like this. However it seems like a fairly stupid thing to lie about if you ask me. As I've pointed out before I'm not even that unique.

I feel this is getting very centralized around me though, but since you asked:

Regarding equipment I'm 6'4 so I've never hit a 44 inch driver. But I hit about the same distance with a 45 or 46 inch one. I tried out a few at golfsmiths fitting centre a while back and I hit the top of the line driver for each major manufacturer 330 without a problem as long as I got an X stiff shaft (they didn't have more). I'm actually more accurate with my Krank though because it gives me so much less spin. With an 'average' driver I'm around 7000RPM of backspin and even with the top of the line drivers/shafts that they had at golfsmith I was between 4-5000. As far as distance goes they're not far behind the Krank but they all go freakishly high, I'm estimating now but they must be 100 yards up in the air some of them and completely impossible to control if there's the slightest breeze. With the Formula 5 and XXX stiff I get around 2-3000 RPM of spin so it's much easier to control. I've never been in a long driving contest and I bought the driver because it actually does help me getting more control.

Regarding my game overall I'm a 9 handicap and I think that's probably about right. I've only played one round of golf in 4 years so I wouldn't really know. I've played a few short courses (with holes up to 100 yards) and I usually score a few under par so I suppose my short game is alright. I can certainly reach every par 5 in 2 shots and I suppose some par 4's as well but I'm too inconsistent to do it over 18 holes so I'd probably loose a few balls and score in the high 70's or something like that. The one round that I did play I shot a 78 with a few lucky puts.

I was an 8 handicap when I was 14 but busted both my knees playing hockey and didn't play at all for 2 years and ever since I've been playing 2-3 rounds a year at best. It's only really the last few months that I've been getting into it more again.

Why would anyone doubt that a 9 handicap could hit 330 yards?

8-10 strokes from lousy putts or chips is very believable. Plus, you are in a strong position to be OB or at least off most of the fairways with drives that long.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Why would anyone doubt that a 9 handicap could hit 330 yards?

8-10 strokes from lousy putts or chips is very believable. Plus, you are in a strong position to be OB or at least off most of the fairways with drives that long.

It has nothing to do with handicap in general. The brightest red flag is the "averaging 330 yards" part, which is by far not common at all. Doing it on occasion, or doing it several times in your golfing "career" is one thing. Averaging 330 is a much different level. Again, look at what the PGA professionals are averaging. Bubba has been averaging what, 310-314 yards? He's also the longest on tour at this time. How quickly would you believe someone who walked up and said "Hi, my average drive on most days is 15 yards longer than Bubba Watson. 50 yards longer than him on a good day". I don't know about you, but I'd probably raise an eyebrow and walk away.

Of course, I now understand the circumstances surrounding this claim. I believe I could average quite a nasty drive with a 4-5° driver as well. I know it would rarely be in play, but on a simulator I'll put numbers up that give the "holy shit" factor too. Then again, not all simulators are equal either (as I think most of us know). Haven't you been to a TM demo event in a Golf Galaxy or something? I remember hitting a few drives that were pushing 330 with a TM R11. It was really disappointing to see my current driver average 320 (even though I'm averaging 275-280 in real life) on that simulator by comparison as well.

I dont' want to make this thread about something it is not about though. This guy needs help finding an island in the SF area that he can tee off, so I'll bow out and allow him to receive the recommendations he requested.

It has nothing to do with handicap in general. The brightest red flag is the "averaging 330 yards" part, which is by far not common at all. Doing it on occasion, or doing it several times in your golfing "career" is one thing. Averaging 330 is a much different level. Again, look at what the PGA professionals are averaging. Bubba has been averaging what, 310-314 yards? He's also the longest on tour at this time. How quickly would you believe someone who walked up and said "Hi, my average drive on most days is 15 yards longer than Bubba Watson. 50 yards longer than him on a good day". I don't know about you, but I'd probably raise an eyebrow and walk away.

Of course, I now understand the circumstances surrounding this claim. I believe I could average quite a nasty drive with a 4-5° driver as well. I know it would rarely be in play, but on a simulator I'll put numbers up that give the "holy shit" factor too. Then again, not all simulators are equal either (as I think most of us know). Haven't you been to a TM demo event in a Golf Galaxy or something? I remember hitting a few drives that were pushing 330 with a TM R11. It was really disappointing to see my current driver average 320 (even though I'm averaging 275-280 in real life) on that simulator by comparison as well.

I dont' want to make this thread about something it is not about though. This guy needs help finding an island in the SF area that he can tee off, so I'll bow out and allow him to receive the recommendations he requested.

Yeah, but his video shows that on the launch monitor he did average 330 for two shots at least.

He looked pretty much like he could do it more times too.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah, but his video shows that on the launch monitor he did average 330 for two shots at least.

He looked pretty much like he could do it more times too.

My doubts were expressed prior to a video being posted, or mentions of a 48" 5° driver being used. After I requested the video and the OP obliged, I admitted that my assumption was wrong. :beer:

My doubts were expressed prior to a video being posted, or mentions of a 48" 5° driver being used. After I requested the video and the OP obliged, I admitted that my assumption was wrong.

Probability was on your side that your assumptions were correct. I guess this was an exception to the rule. :beer:

Just imagine if someone like Gorilla James or Steve Buzza had posted here with 380 yard average drives or something like that?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

@mikeokslonger , you are a beast.  I'd stick with the simulators so you get all the vitals about spin and ball speed.  Looking at the 2nd drive on your posted video, your ball goes pretty straight so even on a short range you should have a pretty good idea if it would land on the fairway or not.  What is your club head speed?

Joe Paradiso

Getting back to the topic. I have played at Coyote Creek about 64 miles south of San Francisco.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+Francisco,+CA/Coyote+Creek+Golf+Club,+1+Coyote+Creek+Golf+Dr,+Morgan+Hill,+CA+95037/@37.4827397,-122.3383203,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x80859a6d00690021:0x4a501367f076adff!2m2!1d-122.4194155!2d37.7749295!1m5!1m1!1s0x808e26661bd14777:0x1eb79146a0b3159f!2m2!1d-121.707753!2d37.196354

The range is pretty long. http://coyotecreekgolf.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Coyote+Creek+Golf+Club/@37.1932558,-121.7065193,694m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x808e26661bd14777:0x1eb79146a0b3159f

EDIT: I forgot it is a ways out there.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

@Spyder I absolutely love how your attitude towards this whole topic has gone from 'you're a dumb liar' to 'you're just hitting like that because of your driver', completely ignoring my actual request which was to get some advice on a driving range. Don't know how many posts you have now man but I see none of them which is targeted towards anything other than making me look stupid and having you save face.

Furthermore - absolutely everything you have said suggests that the only thing that would happen if someone stuck a driver like mine in your hand is to get a good workout for once. If you don't swing harder than Bubba (which I seriously doubt considering how completely unbelievable you thought it was that I did) you have nothing to gain from a 5 degree driver unless you're hunting for mice. As much as I'd like to break out the math for you I'll save that for another time. Although to summarize - If you're happy with your drives using a 9.5 degree, 44.5'' driver and a Pro V1 you'd get about the same hang time as a pebble falling from a shoe if you used a 5 degree, 48'' XXX Stiff one.

I'm only speaking English as a second language so I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but perhaps you need to look into how to use quotation marks. Quoting and doing a very bad job at in a condescending manner paraphrasing someone are two different things. How you got to be listed as "forum leader" (FYI - there's a proper use of a quote) of anything but is beyond my understanding.

Thanks a lot for the advice Lihu, I'll be sure to try that one out! Regarding newtogolf, my normal swing is around 125-130mph (with any driver that I've tried) and I can push it just over 130 if speed is what I'm going for, those shots have about a 1/10 chance at best to be in play though haha. I can live without seeing where the ball lands, the main issue is that I don't want to risk hitting someone. I went to TPC Harding Park last weekend after being told that their range is 300 yards with trees behind it by someone in their golf shop over the phone. When I went there the actual range was 220 at best. There was a net and some trees but then there was the 18th fairway. I tried a drive and it was way over the net and over the 18th fairway behind the driving range. Someone who's a bit more selfish than myself might just think that **** it... I'll hit anyway but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. That's the whole reason I went on this forum in the first place but it's sort of turning into something else for some reason.

Why would anyone doubt that a 9 handicap could hit 330 yards? 8-10 strokes from lousy putts or chips is very believable. Plus, you are in a strong position to be OB or at least off most of the fairways with drives that long.

Why do a 9 handicappers bad strokes have to automatically come from chips and putts?? Long doesn't equal straight. At my brothers club tournament a couple of weeks ago they had a long drive contest. The winner (5 years running now) was around 350 yards, and he's something like a 9 handicap. The runner up (also 5 years running I think and the guys older brother) hit it 320-something. And he's a mid teen capper who I got to play 18 holes with, and his issues are myriad, but mainly it's that he's ridiculously wild off the tee.

@Spyder I absolutely love how your attitude towards this whole topic has gone from 'you're a dumb liar' to 'you're just hitting like that because of your driver', completely ignoring my actual request which was to get some advice on a driving range. Don't know how many posts you have now man but I see none of them which is targeted towards anything other than making me look stupid and having you save face.

Furthermore - absolutely everything you have said suggests that the only thing that would happen if someone stuck a driver like mine in your hand is to get a good workout for once. If you don't swing harder than Bubba (which I seriously doubt considering how completely unbelievable you thought it was that I did) you have nothing to gain from a 5 degree driver unless you're hunting for mice. As much as I'd like to break out the math for you I'll save that for another time. Although to summarize - If you're happy with your drives using a 9.5 degree, 44.5'' driver and a Pro V1 you'd get about the same hang time as a pebble falling from a shoe if you used a 5 degree, 48'' XXX Stiff one.

I'm only speaking English as a second language so I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but perhaps you need to look into how to use quotation marks. Quoting and doing a very bad job at in a condescending manner paraphrasing someone are two different things. How you got to be listed as "forum leader" (FYI - there's a proper use of a quote) of anything but is beyond my understanding.

Thanks a lot for the advice Lihu, I'll be sure to try that one out! Regarding newtogolf, my normal swing is around 125-130mph (with any driver that I've tried) and I can push it just over 130 if speed is what I'm going for, those shots have about a 1/10 chance at best to be in play though haha. I can live without seeing where the ball lands, the main issue is that I don't want to risk hitting someone. I went to TPC Harding Park last weekend after being told that their range is 300 yards with trees behind it by someone in their golf shop over the phone. When I went there the actual range was 220 at best. There was a net and some trees but then there was the 18th fairway. I tried a drive and it was way over the net and over the 18th fairway behind the driving range. Someone who's a bit more selfish than myself might just think that **** it... I'll hit anyway but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. That's the whole reason I went on this forum in the first place but it's sort of turning into something else for some reason.

I hope you find a safe and convenient place to practice your drives. That's definitely one dilemma I would like to have.

Why do a 9 handicappers bad strokes have to automatically come from chips and putts?? Long doesn't equal straight. At my brothers club tournament a couple of weeks ago they had a long drive contest. The winner (5 years running now) was around 350 yards, and he's something like a 9 handicap. The runner up (also 5 years running I think and the guys older brother) hit it 320-something. And he's a mid teen capper who I got to play 18 holes with, and his issues are myriad, but mainly it's that he's ridiculously wild off the tee.

True enough, and that was the other possible reason I listed.

This is definitely a good reason why it is important for long hitters to be able to practice their drives. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hey Mike, I work here in San Francisco.  I'm a fairly avid golfer.  I have a video blog and deal in the golf improvement space.

Glad you found your way to Eagle Indoor.  There is not a single range in the area that could accomodate even 300 yard drives that I'm aware of.   Certainly nothing close.  You'd have to go way out of the area.

Let's meet up one of these times and I'll take some video of your swing and observe some of these bombs first hand.

-Nick Chertock
nick@golfprogress.net

415-810-5271

Hey Mike, I work here in San Francisco.  I'm a fairly avid golfer.  I have a video blog and deal in the golf improvement space.

Glad you found your way to Eagle Indoor.  There is not a single range in the area that could accomodate even 300 yard drives that I'm aware of.   Certainly nothing close.  You'd have to go way out of the area.

Let's meet up one of these times and I'll take some video of your swing and observe some of these bombs first hand.

-Nick Chertock

nick@golfprogress.net

415-810-5271

Hey @mikeokslonger dude and I recommend you meet up with him.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thought I got banned there for a sec and posted with another acc, turns out it's alright. Here it goes again. @Lihu I suppose it's sort of a luxury problem to have. Nonetheless I enjoy practicing though and it'd be nice to find the best place to do it. @golfprogress Sure that sounds cool. I'm not too knowledgable about neither the swing or golf in general really but it sounds like fun. At the eagle club place then I take it?

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!