IGNORED

Shut club face

Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Basically every shot I hit starts left of its target. I play a draw, so it can make it nearly impossible to play. Any tips? I have a my swing thread, and the latest video is a reasonable approximation of my swing. EDIT: my swing now is different; my head no longer goes forward.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Open the face a bit before you grip the club.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Open the face a bit before you grip the club.

That's probably the best advice, but if the ball is going high enough (i.e. you're not hitting big pulls with much less loft than you should have), aim everything to the right.

It's rare, but some good players (including Sam Snead for years) played a baby pull-draw as their shot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's probably the best advice, but if the ball is going high enough (i.e. you're not hitting big pulls with much less loft than you should have), aim everything to the right. It's rare, but some good players (including Sam Snead for years) played a baby pull-draw as their shot.

The height is good, but it's def not a baby pull-draw. I'll aim down the right side of the fairway and pull it dead into the left rough; and that's best case scenario almost all of the time.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Well, I was right; the club face is shut. However, according to the video I just took I am also swinging waaaaaay over the top.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator
Well, I was right; the club face is shut. However, according to the video I just took I am also swinging waaaaaay over the top.

Right, so you have two things to figure out.

How are the things Mike told you going? http://thesandtrap.com/t/64954/my-swing-jbishop15/36#post_970830

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Right, so you have two things to figure out.

How are the things Mike told you going? http://thesandtrap.com/t/64954/my-swing-jbishop15/36#post_970830

I don't feel like my turning rates are too bad.

I posted my swing. I'm across the line, right foot is coming up too early, and I'm swinging way over the top.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Focus on your alignment and grip. Usually one of the 2 is causing the issue. Then take a couple of practice swings and try to hit the inside of the ball. Unless your hooding the club at impact you should hit a draw.

I don't feel like my turning rates are too bad.

I posted my swing. I'm across the line, right foot is coming up too early, and I'm swinging way over the top.

Ah haa..COTT is likely why your hitting it left..I had that problem awhile back, plus having a strong grip, made it even worse, as I was closing the face on impact.

One thing could be causing the OTT move...your take away. I was taking it really far to the inside, i.e. dtl, my hands would almost be behind my hip. Also a good posture helps, so you can have your arms just hang in front of you, then take the club back on the same line your arms hang, this gets the club on a good path. I also weakened my grip some, and put the grip way more in my fingers, which also helped.

I've hit more than my share of pull hooks lately (some really ugly) and haven't played enough to figure out a good answer. Never really had that problem (at least not to any extent) until I changed my swing. If I set up with the clubface open it helps, if I trust it, but the sight of it at address makes me panic halfway down in my swing and roll everything over. I am getting good results with fairway woods by just using what feels like a hold off of rotation through impact (and without a loss of distance) but the driver isn't cooperating with the same technique. I would be playing better golf right now if I only used the 3W instead of the driver but I have to get something figured out and it's not going to get figured out unless I hit it. Made a birdie on a 510 yard par 5 last week after a pitiful 120 yard duck hook tee shot (so at least some things are going right). Maybe I should just tee off with a sand wedge and play from there? ;-)

Posted in your swing thread

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64954/my-swing-jbishop15/36#post_1016077

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!