IGNORED

Scotty Cameron... Should I?

Note: This thread is 3546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let me ask you, in your opinion why aren't they mainstream?

Boutique companies aren't in it to conquer the world. Some get big, some don't. Most offer a premium product for a premium price to a finicky consumer that appreciates quality that can't be bought off the rack. You see it a lot in musical instruments, especially guitar related stuff.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe I have a troll following me around.. Lol. I believe that.

Is a troll someone who calls you on the ignorant posts you make that indicate your prejudices and inability to read a thread you are participating in?

Grow up.

As iacas said, Edel is mentioned many times in this thread.

You read those posts but didn't follow up the information that could educate you.

So......you keep on saying the SC is "the best" rather than researching and acknowledging alternatives that rate equally in quality (dozens of brands) but demonstrably superior in other ways, eg. fitting.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
As iacas said, Edel is mentioned many times in this thread.

You read those posts but didn't follow up the information that could educate you.

FWIW (to nobody in particular), I'm an Edel fanboy because they're the only company that offers the fitting that they have.

As soon as another company helps me to help golfers even better, I'm switching.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That was not intended to be an insult on Edel. No, I honestly have not.

Let me ask you, in your opinion why aren't they mainstream? I'm certainly no tour pro, but I've been in quite a few big events - USGA qualifiers. US Am, US Open qualifiers.. Never made it, nor did my brother although he did make it to sectionals. I've never heard of them once in any events.. Not in other clubs I've ever been in, Golfsmiths, even never heard of them on TV. So how else would I?

except here. I'm sure they are wonderful flatsticks. and this fitting system sounds awesome. No way am I saying they are subpar, I've got zero experience with one, but I will one day and post my thoughts when I do.

Not mainstream? Scotty was not mainstream until Titleist bought him in the mid-90's. Some guys like Edel don't want to be mainstream.  Mainstreaming  also takes a serious advertising budget and more overhead. Depends on your equity and objectives.

They are not found on retail sites ... it takes a personal fitting and an hour or so.

Most guys don't want to do a fitting because it takes work to actually postpone a purchase and plan a fitting, or they haven't heard of Edel.

Look on all popular golf sites if you like ... do a search and you will find Edel.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I really wish the Edel fitter was a bit closer so I didn't have to burn vacation time to get fitted or I would have been there already. The more research I am doing on putters it sounds like Edel is the way to go for a truly custom putter. Maybe that will be my off season treat, get fitted and order one. How long does it take after the fitting to receive the Edel putter? What happens if my stroke changes, can the putter be adjusted or is it purchasing a whole new one? @iacas

• Administrator
I really wish the Edel fitter was a bit closer so I didn't have to burn vacation time to get fitted or I would have been there already. The more research I am doing on putters it sounds like Edel is the way to go for a truly custom putter. Maybe that will be my off season treat, get fitted and order one. How long does it take after the fitting to receive the Edel putter? What happens if my stroke changes, can the putter be adjusted or is it purchasing a whole new one? @iacas

OT for this thread, so I'm putting it in a spoiler…

I imagine that, if the fitter is an hour away, you can probably find a holiday or something that isn't too important but which you get off to make the trip.

The fit doesn't change unless you are fit with a VERY weird setup (usually your eye line has to be way off) or change to a VERY weird setup.

The fit is just for aim and distance control. Unless your brain suffers some sort of traumatic injury, your aim won't change. Your distance control likely won't change either. Worst case, though, you can remove the shaft and/or change the counter-weighting. You could add lead tape to make the head heavier.

Very low odds you'll need to do either if you're properly fit.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To be completely honest, since I don't pay much attention to the putters the pros use, I hadn't even heard of scotty cameron until I was on this site. I think you could probably ask a lot of average golfers if they've heard of scotty cameron and they'd not know what you were talking about any more than if you asked them about edel....

As much as I think getting an edel putter would be great and cool it seems more like something that would be a final step in my club purchases. No putter is going to magically make me see the line better or hit the ball the right pace all the time. I can say, the last thing I'd do is spend 200+ on a putter that wasn't fit to me. Just like I won't be spending a lot of money on any club in the future that I haven't taken the time to have fitted.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

To be completely honest, since I don't pay much attention to the putters the pros use, I hadn't even heard of scotty cameron until I was on this site. I think you could probably ask a lot of average golfers if they've heard of scotty cameron and they'd not know what you were talking about any more than if you asked them about edel....

Same with me.  This is a large part due to marketing and product development Odyssey and Taylor Made are doing.  SC is popular among die hard golfers but not mainstream.  You don't find SC in Sports Authority, Dicks or other non-golf dedicated stores.  Edel is even lesser known than SC but they are gaining in popularity thanks mostly to the passion of their satisfied customers.

Joe Paradiso

This exact post from that guy Erik (or iacas) completely sums it up for me. [QUOTE]This thread pops up from time to time, and it always boils down to this: if you think they're worth the price, they are. If you don't, they aren't. Clearly they are "worth it" for enough people, as Scotty and Titleist are doing just fine with their business. It's rare to see me putting with anything BUT a Scotty Cameron putter, not because of name but because his designs are more innovative, his materials better, and his quality control higher than most other putter companies , and CERTAINLY higher than a Spalding putter.[/QUOTE] Personally, I've been using Scotty Cameron putters for 20 years and using the exact same two together for over 12 years. My Studio 1 & Pro Platinum Newport 2. I see no reason to ever change. Not to even run out and get the latest Cameron offerings. If you only knew how many putters I've been given through the years, from Cameron's to Ping to Bettinardi, you name it... and I give them all away to clients, members, my kids, whoever...But just because I think mine are the best for my game..doesn't mean I think others are junk..nor have I ever said that. I love passionate folks, but laugh at trolls. Period. It's just clubs, folks come here to shop talk about equipment etc and have a laugh not get trolled by a curmudgeon / alter ego.... Let it go. Last time I even acknowledge that troubled character. That's all on this one.. I honestly could not care less who plays with what. That's what makes it fun, it's your game, it's your equipment. Enjoy!

This exact post from that guy Erik (or iacas) completely sums it up for me.

Personally, I've been using Scotty Cameron putters for 20 years and using the exact same two together for over 12 years. My Studio 1 & Pro Platinum Newport 2. I see no reason to ever change. Not to even run out and get the latest Cameron offerings. If you only knew how many putters I've been given through the years, from Cameron's to Ping to Bettinardi, you name it... and I give them all away to clients, members, my kids, whoever...But just because I think mine are the best for my game..doesn't mean I think others are junk..nor have I ever said that. I love passionate folks, but laugh at trolls. Period. It's just clubs, folks come here to shop talk about equipment etc and have a laugh not get trolled by a curmudgeon / alter ego.... Let it go. Last time I even acknowledge that troubled character. That's all on this one..

I honestly could not care less who plays with what. That's what makes it fun, it's your game, it's your equipment. Enjoy!

LMAO..... Where did that quote come from?

• Administrator
This exact post from that guy Erik (or iacas) completely sums it up for me.

The context is that I was responding to a guy who had said " I'll take my spaulding [sic] putter over one any day, thoughts?" And, you know, that it was based on what I knew in 2007. Scotty putters then were pretty widespread. Titleist had a bigger stranglehold on the game, Tiger was still using a Scotty, etc. Titleist was truly competing against "Spalding" and other brands, as Callaway/Odyssey, TaylorMade/Rossa, Cleveland/Never Compromise, and others hadn't really pushed as hard to get into putters. That changed over time.

Suffice to say my opinion's changed. The landscape has changed as well.

You'll note that I said it's rare to see "ME" playing with something other than a Scotty. I had two or three then. Sometimes, even then, I busted out an older Ray Cook model.

Scottys are still more innovative and use better materials and have higher QC than a lot of sub-brand putters out there, like Spalding if they're still making putters. That is not true when it comes to other companies like the ones I listed above, or Edel, or several others. The shelves in 2004-2007 were filled with a lot of odd putter types. Camerons stood out from the crowd then far more than they do now.

To be completely honest, since I don't pay much attention to the putters the pros use, I hadn't even heard of scotty cameron until I was on this site. [U]I think you could probably ask a lot of average golfers if they've heard of scotty cameron and they'd not know what you were talking about any more than if you asked them about edel.... [/U] As much as I think getting an edel putter would be great and cool it seems more like something that would be a final step in my club purchases. No putter is going to magically make me see the line better or hit the ball the right pace all the time. I can say, the last thing I'd do is spend 200+ on a putter that wasn't fit to me. Just like I won't be spending a lot of money on any club in the future that I haven't taken the time to have fitted.

Sorry @Jeremie Boop , I have to disagree. I would say most average golfers HAVE heard of Scotty Cameron putters, and know that they are high end. I don't think hardly any non-golfwebsitejunky golfer has heard of Edel.

Colin P.

Sorry @Jeremie Boop, I have to disagree. I would say most average golfers HAVE heard of Scotty Cameron putters, and know that they are high end. I don't think hardly any non-golfwebsitejunky golfer has heard of Edel.

Hmm... we definitely run in different circles because I could ask just about every golfer I know about those putters and nobody would know about them.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!