IGNORED

The Official (Not Official At All) Drugs & Alcohol Thread

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 3554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

You're not talkin bout weed right?..
If I had kids who were 16 or 17 I would rather them smoking pot than drinking and getting wasted till 4 in the morning. Drinking really ****s you up. I'd feel much more relaxed if my kid was smoking pot, eating a shitload of Doritos, and playing Call of Duty then he/she partying and getting drunk out of his/her's mind...

If I had kids that were 16 or 17 there would be Hell to pay for either one. I don't give a crap about marijuana one way or the other as long as it's not around me. The last time I ever even smelled it was coming out from under a stoner's door in the dorm in 1975. The way I see it there are 4 answers. 1. Give MUCH stiffer penalites for drugs. Millions arrested here compared to 400 hanged in Singapore over a 13 year period debunks the "Penalties don't disuade behavior" line. 2. The status quo. Which obviously only costs me tax dollars and stops nothing. Druggies don't even mind doing a little time and getting 3 meals a day and some R&R.; 3. Decriminalize pot in small amounts and at least free up a few of my tax dollars for something worthwhile. 4. Legalize. Hate to even think about how easy it's going to be to purchase and sell to minors then but ought to be interesting. My choice is number 3 reluctantly because we sure are never going to go the Singapore route (thankfully). Even I'm not that hardline.

Yeah about that..do you live in ****ing Greenland or something? I smell weed every time I go outside yo.

Riley

The alternative being making it easier to get drugs. The you can already get drugs so lets make them legal argument is pretty lame.

What is accomplished by keeping them illegal.  Every drug can be bought at any H.S. in the country.  You keep saying our argument is lame, but what is your solution?   If the government can't get drugs off the streets with all the money we're spending then what's the harm in making it available so that at least we know the drugs aren't cut with harmful chemicals.

Would you want your kid to drink a bottle of vodka or experiment with other crap kids do because they can't buy booze, like anti-freeze, mouth wash, cough syrup (pink and purple).  We're no more winning the war on drugs than we are winning the war in the middle east.  Status quo isn't cutting it, so it's time for new ideas and approaches.

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is accomplished by keeping them illegal.  Every drug can be bought at any H.S. in the country.  You keep saying our argument is lame, but what is your solution?   If the government can't get drugs off the streets with all the money we're spending then what's the harm in making it available so that at least we know the drugs aren't cut with harmful chemicals. Would you want your kid to drink a bottle of vodka or experiment with other crap kids do because they can't buy booze, like anti-freeze, mouth wash, cough syrup (pink and purple).  We're no more winning the war on drugs than we are winning the war in the middle east.  Status quo isn't cutting it, so it's time for new ideas and approaches.

Weed and X are certainly available at the High School. Have to dig deep to find some Crank or Blow though.

Riley

Weed and X are certainly available at the High School. Have to dig deep to find some Crank or Blow though.

I don't know where you live, but here on Long Island, besides weed, heroin is the #1 drug in high schools.  Speed and Ritalin are real popular in the colleges.

Joe Paradiso

I don't know where you live, but here on Long Island, besides weed, heroin is the #1 drug in high schools.  Speed and Ritalin are real popular in the colleges.

Jeez. Here in NorCal(at least where I live) it's all weed weed weed. Few of the teachers are on it as well. Speed is available, as is ecstasy. No Heroin to be found. Have to go a little ways to find some Coke or Meth(not that I do this, of course). Also a lot of people doing stuff like breaking into their parents medicine cabinet. Lots of Oxy and Vicodin abuse. Especially the football players... Shrooms & LSD around a little with the hippies. Users have declined significantly since the 70s...

Riley

Lol.  I don't smoke pot but you must keep some odd, very conservative church goin' company if you haven't even smelled pot in nearly four decades.

Lol, that was the thing that stood out to me as well. How is that even possible?

Lol, that was the thing that stood out to me as well. How is that even possible?

I don't know.  Besides friends, I smelled it walking down a street in the lower east side of Manhattan in May.  Smelled it on the golf course a month ago.  I was with my parents.  My 70 year old mother noticed it first.  I smelled it at a PNC Park bathroom two months ago.  This is just from memory.  It's everywhere.

"Witty golf quote."

I think I speak for most northern californians when I say I literally smell it every day. No hyperbole. In fact, I think several people on my street grow. Hahaha. Maybe that's why I always smell it, gotta love it.

Riley

Going to church has nothing to do with it. The vast majority of people I hang around with haven't been to church in years. But they do have jobs that all drug test and they wouldn't have those jobs if they smoked pot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Going to church has nothing to do with it. The vast majority of people I hang around with haven't been to church in years.

But they do have jobs that all drug test and they wouldn't have those jobs if they smoked pot.

I only have one friend that smokes pot.  It doesn't surprise me that you have no friends that smoke pot, just that you haven't smelled it since 1975.  I have smelled it on the golf course a few times in the last year from strangers I've been paired with.  Smelled it at ball games many times, concerts just about EVERY time, the beach, walking down the street, etc, etc, etc.

Just saw some cool facts. Portland Oregon has 44 drug treatment centers. Oregon spends 51 million a year on drug treatment. Treatment for heroin has a 90% failure rate. Your right what we are doing isn't working. We need to work harder to stop the drug flow into this country

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Not a chance somebody is going to light up on a golf course around here. Haven't been to the beach in about 3 years but going in September. We''ll see but I'm betting I won't see (or smell) it there either. Went to a Lookouts game last month...nothing there. Went to "Beer Fest" at Moccasin Bend...nope... nothing there but beer. People that smoke pot around here don't have jobs and gather up in a basement somewhere and smoke until they run out. Then you see them creeping around looking for somebody to mooch some money off of so they can start again. They are almost always repeat customers down at the county jail. When I interned at the jail last summer almost everybody that came through the door was well known by the jailers and none of them acted like it bothered them at all to be there. BTW. How do people out there on the left coast keep jobs? Don't companies do random drug testing out there? I would say that's the biggest deterrent of all around here. If you work you don't smoke and if you don't work you do...it's actually pretty consistent.

BTW. How do people out there on the left coast keep jobs? Don't companies do random drug testing out there?

Well, yeah, I suppose being in Cali has something to do with the prevalence.  :)  As far as the above is concerned, my company doesn't drug test, so as long as people are doing their jobs well, then they'll be fine.  I don't know of any other companies that drug test either.  Certainly some must do, but I don't know any of them.

And either Alabama is very different than California, or you have a very general idea of what people who smoke pot do.  Out here people who smoke pot do EVERYTHING.  They aren't all "stoners" or lowlifes who hang out in basements.  They work at big companies, run their own businesses, are soccer moms, golfers, etc, etc, etc.

Well, yeah, I suppose being in Cali has something to do with the prevalence.  :)  As far as the above is concerned, my company doesn't drug test, so as long as people are doing their jobs well, then they'll be fine.  I don't know of any other companies that drug test either.  Certainly some must do, but I don't know any of them. And either Alabama is very different than California, or you have a very general idea of what people who smoke pot do.  Out here people who smoke pot do EVERYTHING.  They aren't all "stoners" or lowlifes who hang out in basements.  They work at big companies, run their own businesses, are soccer moms, golfers, etc, etc, etc.

So so true...I'm almost positive Stevie Jobs was getting baked in his garage when he came up with the idea of apple. :-P Yeah, I was talking to a guy who used to live in Idaho. When he first came to California he was really confused and was like "what is this smell" "i'm smelling things" before being kindly told that it was the Marijaweens. Good stuff.

Riley

I'm not saying y'all are a bunch of squares.  But I am saying, y'all, the south has a bunch of squares.

But I can't wait to go to Myrtle a month from now.  I'm going to golf the shit out of that city.  I guess Myrtle is kind of soft south, though.  Lots of fat, retired northerners.  I was actually supposed to arrive there this day.  Family trip.  But my brother-in-law had to have surgery and it threw off the whole thing.  But that's okay.  He's doing well.

EDIT-- I was still going in September. 8 days now, 10 days in September with just 14 days off in between.  Privileges of the self-employed.  Another privilege:  No drug testing.  Of course, I don't use any drugs besides alcohol so it's lost on me.

"Witty golf quote."

I'm not saying y'all are a bunch of squares.  But I am saying, y'all, the south has a bunch of squares.

It's the Bible Belt.

It's about not questioning authority (in general),

which is why it's the Bible Belt. :-D

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!