IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

• Administrator

Im curious about both as well. Arccos is super expensive. Is Arccos really worth the price difference?

I don't think so. It's twice the cost (or more) and requires you to use your phone. So it gives you, what, real-time updates? Is that worth $200?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im curious about both as well. Arccos is super expensive. Is Arccos really worth the price difference?

I don't think so at all.  I really don't want to carry my phone around the golf course - and where am I supposed to put my phone if it's raining?  Game golf requires that I tag something - but I think that's a good thing.  Adding shots w/ the web interface for the times I forget to tag seems a lot easier than removing shots that Arccos decided I hit just because I was moving the club around.

I'm really hoping that the competition between the devices forces both of them to innovate a lot on the software and analysis side.  That's where the real benefit is so hopefully having multiple products out there will make all of them better.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

Game golf requires that I tag something - but I think that's a good thing.

And now that they've added the ability to detect shots, it's not even a "requirement."  It'll pick up all the shots you forget to tag and you just have to tell it which club when you're editing.

Like you I am thinking about Arccos as well. The reviews seem to suggest that Arccos has a better software package which makes it work more seamlessly. I like the idea of not having to wear an obvious device on your belt and also having to remember to tap the device after every stroke. With Arccos it sounds like you can just play and the round is automatically recorded on your IPHONE. By most accounts there are very few errors and they are getting better with it all the time.

Reason for going with ARCCOS over GAME GOLF:

I like the idea of having this concealed in your pocket in your IPHONE mostly so you don't have to explain what you have to your playing partners.

Not having what could be perceived as a golf aid on you belt which you have to remember to tap after every stroke.

With ARCCOS you can review your round at any point on your IPHONE. With GAME GOLF have to wait till you get home and down load it on you PC.

Cost IMO neither is too excessive given what you get for information on YOUR game. A much better investment than another driver that is "Guaranteed to get you 10 more yards". Hell if I got my guaranteed 10 yards from every driver I bought I'd be driving the ball 500 yards by now LOL!

I am told that ARCCOS is right around the corner from bringing out an ANDROID compatible device. This should decrease the production costs.

• Administrator

I like the idea of having this concealed in your pocket in your IPHONE mostly so you don't have to explain what you have to your playing partners.

Not having what could be perceived as a golf aid on you belt which you have to remember to tap after every stroke.

Both of these are dealt with, on the infrequent occasions someone asks, by saying "It's GAME Golf. You've never heard of it?"

It's perfectly allowable under the Rules of Golf.

With ARCCOS you can review your round at any point on your IPHONE. With GAME GOLF have to wait till you get home and down load it on you PC.

Is that worth $200+? To see something you did three holes ago instead of, I don't know, just remembering it on your own?

I am told that ARCCOS is right around the corner from bringing out an ANDROID compatible device. This should decrease the production costs.

Why would that decrease production costs?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with the points @iacas brought up. I'd just like to add the fact that this reason: [quote name="club ho" url="/t/76544/tst-investigates-game-golf/450#post_1093778"]I like the idea of having this concealed in your pocket in your IPHONE mostly so you don't have to explain what you have to your playing partners.  [/quote] Is completely negated when you do this: [quote name="club ho" url="/t/76544/tst-investigates-game-golf/450#post_1093778"]With ARCCOS you can review your round at any point on your IPHONE. [/quote]Because now you're THAT guy on the golf course with his phone out. Oh, and a number of courses don't allow you to have your cell phone out at all, so you can't do it anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I wouldn't be interested in viewing stats on the course so the phone can stay in the bag. It's the Bluetooth sensors I like but not sure it's worth $225 just for that.

Dave :-)

I agree with the points @iacas brought up. I'd just like to add the fact that this reason:

Is completely negated when you do this:

Because now you're THAT guy on the golf course with his phone out.

Oh, and a number of courses don't allow you to have your cell phone out at all, so you can't do it anyway.

Lack of realtime stats is one of the bigger drawbacks keeping me from getting the Game Golf unit. I'd like to know exactly how far my shot went without having to do math or remember to turn the measure shot function from my GPS on. I never play in competitions, so the fact that this restriction keeps the unit legal for competitions doesn't do anything for me.

I take my phone out a fair amount during my round, and I don't play anywhere where there's a phone policy.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Lack of realtime stats is one of the bigger drawbacks keeping me from getting the Game Golf unit. I'd like to know exactly how far my shot went without having to do math or remember to turn the measure shot function from my GPS on.

Why do you want the real time numbers? I have never know exact distances on my previous shot and I guess I don't know how it would help with the rest of my round.

Why do you want the real time numbers? I have never know exact distances on my previous shot and I guess I don't know how it would help with the rest of my round.

I'd like to know how far my clubs go. I don't have access to a simulator, so working them out on the course and range are the only option. And just the feedback of knowing how something felt or the conditions surrounding a shot versus the result would be gratifying and enlightening. There's a bunch of times where I'll get to my ball and wonder how far I just hit it, whether it's unexpectedly longer or shorter than I thought. If I didn't think to grab my GPS and turn the measuring on, I'm left to guesswork from the scorecard, and that's so imprecise that it's not worth doing.

And honestly, I'm of the mindset that if an automated voice in the unit told me the distance every single shot I hit went (other than around the green, I guess), I'd love that. Maybe a button on the device so you can control when you want to hear it. I like having more information, whether positive or negative. Getting the information well after the round limits the value of it. That's not to say there isn't a great deal of value left in that information; just that I feel it lessens its impact and usefulness.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Real time distance is useless for us higher handicap golfers IMO. I know what my rough potential is but that changes as the course changes, from 150 I use at least three different clubs. I think the round review and social part of GG makes it a more appealing product. Bluetooth is the only thing I like about the other.

Real time distance is useless for us higher handicap golfers IMO. I know what my rough potential is but that changes as the course changes, from 150 I use at least three different clubs. I think the round review and social part of GG makes it a more appealing product. Bluetooth is the only thing I like about the other.

Depending on wind,lie,temperature, uphill or down hill ect... I don't see the point in know how far I hit the previous shot. I don't ever remember having the opportunity to hit 2 of the exact same shots on the course. Maybe a driver but even then sometime you make an easy swing and others you let it loose.

I'm not sure that I really agree. If anything, I'd think that the feedback is more important to us worse players who are still working to get to our potential and learning about cause and effect in our game as it relates to resulting shots. In any event, I'd like to know that information. Like I said, I could get that with my GPS, but, like others have said, they could get what Game Golf does through apps that do this kind of tracking. The benefit here is in the simplicity of collecting and presenting that information. Having it available on the spot as opposed to after the round gives you the fresh memory of being able to work through what I did, felt, the conditions, etc, as they related to the shot and the result. I'd find that really useful. All of my practice is on mats because there's no grass ranges anywhere, and, as I said, it's really hard to get distance feedback past a certain point. On-course data collection and feedback are important to me for learning, and I wish this device would help do that better.

Dom's Sticks:

Doesn't matter for me because I know I will hit a succession of mishits. My instructor has FlightScope I am fully aware how inconsistent I am. I tracked clubs for a year via GolfLogix and learned nothing from the numbers alone and none were near what my potential best shot was because of all the crummy shots in the averages. Whatever device I chose it will be the analysis of data post round that helps. But I see that as being the fuel for practice as weak spots become apparent not course management. Currently I can only manage the course as well as I hit the ball on any given day.

@dkolo , I don't believe real time information is important, either. On the course, I'm hitting shots and I'm focusing on what I need to do for my next shot (or more likely, where I have to go searching for my ball ;-) ). There's little time or reason to worry about any one particular swing while I'm playing golf, because I'm playing golf, not practicing.

If you think that' feature is really worth $200, go for it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@dkolo, I don't believe real time information is important, either. On the course, I'm hitting shots and I'm focusing on what I need to do for my next shot (or more likely, where I have to go searching for my ball ). There's little time or reason to worry about any one particular swing while I'm playing golf, because I'm playing golf, not practicing.

If you think that' feature is really worth $200, go for it.

Oh heavens no, that feature is not worth $200. But Game Golf isn't worth the $119 - $199 to me either without that feature, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Both of these are dealt with, on the infrequent occasions someone asks, by saying "It's GAME Golf. You've never heard of it?"

It's perfectly allowable under the Rules of Golf.

Is that worth $200+? To see something you did three holes ago instead of, I don't know, just remembering it on your own?

Why would that decrease production costs?

I just don't like having that box on my belt. I never was one for belt clips for cell phones either.

I agree I would not care about checking my device every three holes but I would like to reflect on my round at the club house while having a cold beer.

As I said before in a sport where greens fee are nearly $100 per round and a set of clubs and bag are over $1500. They both are fairly priced IMO

Android phones make up 75% of the smart phone market. This would equate a 300% increase in potential customers. By increasing production numbers the cost of manufacturing individual units  would decrease and the manufacturer will reduce there asking price. Example the first cell phones cost over $800 dollars a piece and the air time was over 1 dollar a minute.

Oh heavens no, that feature is not worth $200. But Game Golf isn't worth the $119 - $199 to me either without that feature, haha.

Really, get a Game Golf. Get one on sale if you can, then. Since you mentioned you don't have a real way of measuring your distances for feedback and learning, the tool is invaluable. You start learning what you actually do on the golf course instead of what you think you do. It's eye opening.

Bill

My Swing Thread