IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Well I use golf pride grips, so looks like I should be okay. Thanks, guys.

Worst case, a little dab of a $3 bottle of silicone helps make sure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Game Golf Live is under $90 on amazon again. Just bought one tonight. Too bad my next round of golf is TDB. I'm excited for my new toy!

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 2/5/2018 at 3:43 PM, iacas said:

Worst case, a little dab of a $3 bottle of silicone helps make sure.

Like Silicone sealant? Can the tags be removed from the grips after being "glued" in?

Edited by hilmar2k

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, hilmar2k said:

Like Silicone sealant? Can the tags be removed from the grips after being "glued" in?

Yeah. Easily. They just don’t vibrate-and-pop-off.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah. Easily. They just don’t vibrate-and-pop-off.

They still can, just not as easily. I had much better results with superglue.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Game Golf Live arrived last night! There's a good 6-8 inches of snow on the ground right now, so it's going to be a while before I can actually use it, but I'm pretty excited.

Quick question for you all with live - do you need to use the phone app during your rounds to activate the unit? The guide says you're supposed to, but I'd rather not, since I have an older iPhone and the app will probably be a battery sink if it's on for 4+ hours.

-- Daniel

• Administrator
7 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Quick question for you all with live - do you need to use the phone app during your rounds to activate the unit? The guide says you're supposed to, but I'd rather not, since I have an older iPhone and the app will probably be a battery sink if it's on for 4+ hours.

No. Don't even pair it if you don't want to.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, iacas said:

No. Don't even pair it if you don't want to.

Thanks. :beer: I sort of figured, but I wanted to find out before trying my first round with it.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

• 2 months later...

This is a very niche question on the strokes gained algorithm. Does anyone know if they take altitude into account for the strokes gained? I'm wondering if I'm getting extra credit for being at altitude and hitting the ball longer. Here are my strokes gained vs. a 5 handicap and a scratch handicap:

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 9.02.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-06 at 9.02.38 PM.png

Now, I know my short game and putting are weaknesses, but I'm a little skeptical that I gain over 3 stokes in the long game over a 5 handicap, and only lose 2 against a scratch golfer. And I'm wondering if the distance I'm hitting clubs might be messing up the data.

-- Daniel

• Administrator

They probably don't.

I don't think they factor gender into the equation at all, either. Natalie is about an 8.5 handicapper, yet if you compare her game to a 10 handicapper, she's losing strokes everywhere.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

They probably don't.

I don't think they factor gender into the equation at all, either. Natalie is about an 8.5 handicapper, yet if you compare her game to a 10 handicapper, she's losing strokes everywhere.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Their handicap calculations is also funky. The course scorecards that I've seen on Game Golf's website have the rating and slope correct, or at least close enough. And yet, they have my GG handicap well below what it should be based on the scores.

I would also hope they would adjust based on CR/slope, since our CR/slopes are much lower than they would be with similar yardages at lower elevations. It also wouldn't be hard to adjust yardages to sea level. You get the elevation of the course, and then you can adjust from that. Similar to what the Mevo does with altitude. It won't be perfect, but it would be good enough for their purposes.

I'm going to shoot an e-mail to their support tonight and see what they say, if anything, and report back.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

• Administrator

Their ratings are almost entirely yardage based.

34 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

And yet, they have my GG handicap well below what it should be based on the scores.

That's interesting. My index next revision will be 14.0 with the addition of yesterday's round but GG has 16.7 as their handicap.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's interesting. My index next revision will be 14.0 with the addition of yesterday's round but GG has 16.7 as their handicap.

I only have two scores, which I'm sure messes with the handicap. But GG has me as a 5.1 handicap, but the differentials were both 7.9.

-- Daniel

• 5 weeks later...

In another thread about "What I've learned from 6 rounds of Arccos", several people responded about their experiences the Game Golf as well.   I did also but starting thinking about the putts lost and my use/application.   I don't mark the hole location when correcting the round (I don't pair it with my phone).    I make sure it shows when I 3 putt but sometimes the distances of each putt isn't close.   I'm sure that affects the strokes lost.    What's the correct procedure for correcting putts before signing the round?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
7 hours ago, dennyjones said:

In another thread about "What I've learned from 6 rounds of Arccos", several people responded about their experiences the Game Golf as well.   I did also but starting thinking about the putts lost and my use/application.   I don't mark the hole location when correcting the round (I don't pair it with my phone).    I make sure it shows when I 3 putt but sometimes the distances of each putt isn't close.   I'm sure that affects the strokes lost.    What's the correct procedure for correcting putts before signing the round?

Do it online, in your browser.

Yes, you're getting bad data.

On 6/6/2018 at 3:46 PM, dennyjones said:

What's the correct procedure for correcting putts before signing the round?

I don’t pair my phone either, so I fix it online.

I mostly just worry about the distance of my first putt - that’s enough to make sure my strokes gained (short game and putting) stats are accurate.

• Like 1

- John

Thanks.   I'm enjoying it so far.

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

I don’t pair my phone either, so I fix it online.

I mostly just worry about the distance of my first putt - that’s enough to make sure my strokes gained (short game and putting) stats are accurate.

Thanks.   I'm enjoying it so far.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny