IGNORED

Golf...cool or not???

BrownCoast
Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is golf cool?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator

Anything that 60+ year olds play can't be cool.  Cool is the province of youth.  Right now few under the age of 25 think golf is cool.  So what is cool?  Darned if I know since I am part of the 60+ crew.  Do I care that golf is not cool?  Nope.

Gave a lesson today to an 87-year old golfer.

May have been one of the coolest guys I've ever taught.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anything that 60+ year olds play can't be cool.  Cool is the province of youth.  Right now few under the age of 25 think golf is cool.  So what is cool?  Darned if I know since I am part of the 60+ crew.  Do I care that golf is not cool?  Nope.

Lol ... As long as the grandkids still think I am cool ... Then I am good!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

What a crazy thread. Where to even start?

Golf is cool.

I wear polos all the time, and I'm a girl. Cotton, not sweaty synthetics. Eww.

That video with Ricky Fowler and Bubba Watson and the other two guys was cool. But none of them were dressed appropriately for the golf course. Didn't they take the quiz?

Also, Ricky Fowler's stupid little flat-billed caps are stupid little flat-billed caps.

The only women who wear skorts are golfers and tennis players.

D&D; used to be cool, back in the day when you had to give a damn and learn to calculate Thac0. If you know what that means, you're cool. If not, stick with the new D&D; which is nothing but a panty-waist board game. Chutes and Ladders is cooler than the new D&D.;

Sports jerseys are for game day. Only. Otherwise, go put on a polo and look like a grown man, you schmuck.

Holy sh*t moxie, I think you actually read all the threads and followed on point with your comments. As for D&D; I personally never played either version so I don't know what thac0 means..didn't even know there was multiple versions. The other 2 golfers are Hunter Mahan and Ben Crane. Welcome to the chaos lol

Back to topic I will say the stadium seating (at tpc arizona I think but probably wrong) is awesome Love seeing fans go crazy! I'm originally from Winnipeg and we have some of the loudest fans in hockey. Games are so noisy that opposing teams coach once complained that he thought we filtered in noise to distract their team. I don't think the stuffy attitude that I see in many club houses warrants a level of elitism. The golf clap should never take place and Tiger fist pump is way better (was never a fan of Tiger). I love seeing on the lpga when they jump in the water can't stand seeing golfers get pissed of at the slightest noise yet you play outdoors with birds chirping galleries clapping near by but a single click with no flash from a camera will ruin your shot??? As keeeeeshawn would say C'moooon maaaan!!! Athletes train all the time with simulated noise Golfers should do the same.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

I take my 4 year old grandson to chip and putt. That kid is going to be a STUD! I'll have to ask him if I'm cool. Probably does know what it means either. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Golf is not cool. IMHO. I still play and have no interest in anyone's else's opinion. Other golfers will talk all day about courses, clubs, etc. Its the coolest thing for a golfer. But,people who don't golf don't care. On a semi-related topic, I wear shimmery polos to play golf. They are the most temperature appropriate shirts I have to play in. I also get complements on them all the time. I also wear golf shorts because the pockets hold a pencil, tee, ball marker, divot tool, and a golf ball more comfortably than regular shorts. Add my white golf shoes and I'm so f'en cool its a wonder that I don't freeze the pond when I donate a ball to the ball diver's retirement fund.

I only drive about 180, but I make up for by not hitting my wedges well.

I always thought that worrying about whether something was cool was the first sign that you were not cool.  Cool people just are - they do not worry about whether they or what they are doing is cool.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I always thought that worrying about whether something was cool was the first sign that you were not cool.  Cool people just are - they do not worry about whether they or what they are doing is cool.

I doubt that. I am sure there are plenty of people who put on the facade of being cool, and are probably good enough to act cool, when they probably are not in person. A lot of people can hide aspects of their lives that some would deem uncool. There are a lot of stories of actors who are douche bags off set, but to many they "look" cool because of the persona they take on in front of a camera. Those people people who know how to put on that fake disarming smile, wrack up the charm.

Really, people are only cool because other people deem them cool. They are not "Just" cool, it is a judgement by society, not an actually character trait. Since societies opinions can turn on a dime, being cool isn't something substantial.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I doubt that. I am sure there are plenty of people who put on the facade of being cool, and are probably good enough to act cool, when they probably are not in person. A lot of people can hide aspects of their lives that some would deem uncool. There are a lot of stories of actors who are douche bags off set, but to many they "look" cool because of the persona they take on in front of a camera. Those people people who know how to put on that fake disarming smile, wrack up the charm.

Really, people are only cool because other people deem them cool. They are not "Just" cool, it is a judgement by society, not an actually character trait. Since societies opinions can turn on a dime, being cool isn't something substantial.

Only for people who define themselves by other people's opinions.

Rich - in name only

Only for people who define themselves by other people's opinions.

Isn't being cool being defined by someone else's opinion.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Isn't being cool being defined by someone else's opinion.

Only if you let it be.

Rich - in name only

Only if you let it be.

Well no, the underlying definition of being cool is based solely on opinion and judgement. If there is non, then there is no being cool or not being cool, there is just being who you are. So, it doesn't matter if you let be cool or not. you can think it uncool, but if society thinks it is cool, then that is what it is. Look at smoking. The act use to be cool, not it isn't. It changed solely based on societal opinion. some still might think it looks cool to smoke, but it isn't because majority of society doesn't think it is cool anymore.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well no, the underlying definition of being cool is based solely on opinion and judgement. If there is non, then there is no being cool or not being cool, there is just being who you are. So, it doesn't matter if you let be cool or not. you can think it uncool, but if society thinks it is cool, then that is what it is. Look at smoking. The act use to be cool, not it isn't. It changed solely based on societal opinion. some still might think it looks cool to smoke, but it isn't because majority of society doesn't think it is cool anymore.

Wow, the death knell for independent thinking.

Obviously cool is not an objective value - it is entirely subjective.  That being the case it is a matter of opinion.  And WHOSE opinion counts is a personal matter.  Kids in my class think really stupid T-shirts are cool.  I don't   Who is right?  There is no such thing as society's opinion.

When something is based on opinion and judgement (which really is just another word for opinion in this case) then the key issue become WHOSE opinion/judgement.  And personally I choose to be guided by MY opinion, not society's.  And anyone who decides to do or not do something because "society" thinks it is cool or uncool is a little foolish, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Rich - in name only

Gave a lesson today to an 87-year old golfer.

May have been one of the coolest guys I've ever taught.

I just played with two pretty cool 60+s this morning. One was a retired local TV reporter.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Obviously cool is not an objective value - it is entirely subjective.  That being the case it is a matter of opinion.  And WHOSE opinion counts is a personal matter.  Kids in my class think really stupid T-shirts are cool.  I don't   Who is right?  There is no such thing as society's opinion.

When something is based on opinion and judgement (which really is just another word for opinion in this case) then the key issue become WHOSE opinion/judgement.  And personally I choose to be guided by MY opinion, not society's.  And anyone who decides to do or not do something because "society" thinks it is cool or uncool is a little foolish, IMO.

Not really, I just think in terms of being cool, it has always been defined by public opinion.

Well I rather not be narcissistic, so I wouldn't base me being cool on what I thought of it :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Now we're getting somewhere with this thread. Correct it is in the eye of the beholder. I just wanted to know what people thought. Never was someones opinion of this game going to sway my decision on this game. I do think there are some cool golfers out there today (both pro and just regular hackers) IMO I think Duff, Rickie, Phil, Keegan and even the late retro wearing Payne Stewart to name a few of the pros. I too have also golfed with some people that I was paired up with and some carried a certain level of moxie others didn't.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!