IGNORED

Did I Make the Right Decision?

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was in a sporting goods store this morning and noticed they had a set of Adams RPM's on clearance for $150. When I casually mentioned this to my wife, she ordered me to go back in and purchase them. I got halfway across the parking lot and decided against it.

Here's my logic... I play with a previously used set of Adams A4's. The grips probably need to be replaced and the faces and soles are becoming beat up. Since working and spinning the ball is above my skill level, I'm not worried about the faces being worn. But the worn grips will probably hurt my game and I never had them fitted.

I'd rather take the $150 and...

1. Have my current clubs fitted and re-gripped or

2. Put it towards a new set which I believe if purchased at the golf center will include a free fitting.

Suggestions?

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't buy anything you don't really want.

• Upvote 2

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I was in a sporting goods store this morning and noticed they had a set of Adams RPM's on clearance for $150. When I casually mentioned this to my wife, she ordered me to go back in and purchase them. I got halfway across the parking lot and decided against it. Here's my logic... I play with a previously used set of Adams A4's. The grips probably need to be replaced and the faces and soles are becoming beat up. Since working and spinning the ball is above my skill level, I'm not worried about the faces being worn. But the worn grips will probably hurt my game and I never had them fitted. I'd rather take the $150 and... 1. Have my current clubs fitted and re-gripped or 2. Put it towards a new set which I believe if purchased at the golf center will include a free fitting. Suggestions?

Did you WANT to get them? If you wanted them, you should have got them. 150 is a hell of a deal. If you didn't want them, just don't get em!

Riley

• Administrator

I concur with the responses above, but will just add that grooves also help generate backspin and reduce fliers as well as well-struck shots that fall out of the air. Grooves have much less to do with any "sidespin" than "backspin."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Does your wife have a sister? :-D

You did good, you held off and will wait for the fitted set.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I agree with the other posts. Why buy if you don't want. In the end buy what you want

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I was in a sporting goods store this morning and noticed they had a set of Adams RPM's on clearance for $150. When I casually mentioned this to my wife, she ordered me to go back in and purchase them. I got halfway across the parking lot and decided against it.

Here's my logic... I play with a previously used set of Adams A4's. The grips probably need to be replaced and the faces and soles are becoming beat up. Since working and spinning the ball is above my skill level, I'm not worried about the faces being worn. But the worn grips will probably hurt my game and I never had them fitted.

I'd rather take the $150 and...

1. Have my current clubs fitted and re-gripped or

2. Put it towards a new set which I believe if purchased at the golf center will include a free fitting.

Suggestions?

Depending on which grips you choose, it'll cost you around $150 to have 13 grips replaced. ( unless you DIY)

IMO....................if you like the look of the RPM's, by all means........go buy them!  It's a steal and you can have a new set of clubs for the price of re-gripping the old ones!

my 2 cents.....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Thanks for the replies.

Most of what I think I know about golf is from reading the posts on this site. Two opinions that seem consistent are that you should try out clubs before you buy them and you should be fitted for them once you've made the decision. Another common opinion is that you should like how they look at address.

Yes, I liked the look of them but could say that about most new clubs (especially the Mizunos). And yes, I did want them but I have to be smart about this. I don't want to spend money just to have something new and shiny. I want something new and shiny that will help my game. A new set from a golf shop will cost  2 or 3 times more but if that includes me trying them first and also includes a "free" fitting, it might be worth it.

I didn't realize that new grooves would potentially help so that's good to know. I also didn't know re-gripping was so expensive. I think I can rule out putting any more money into the set I have.

Alright, I'm glad I asked, thanks again.

Jon

Other than new grips, btw, don't buy cheap ones. I'd suggest maybe investing in some lessons if you haven't already... :-D

If you plan on really being a golfer, learn to re-grip your own clubs. It's easy. And a lot cheaper. Google how to do it.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• Administrator

If you plan on really being a golfer, learn to re-grip your own clubs. It's easy. And a lot cheaper. Google how to do it.

Or just get PURE grips and don't worry about that stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I disagree with this. Golftown charges $2 a grip for regripping, so less than $30 for a full set. They also have a HUGE sale on grips every February (IIRC), one year I got Winn Lites for $1 each ($3 installed), redid my entire set for under $50 tax in. Wasn't crazy about the Winns but that's besides the point. If you time your regrip with their clearance sales, which should be a no-brainer as it's in the middle of the off season, you can get it done pretty cheaply. I don't know what the initial outlay would be on equipping yourself to DIY but, in my experience, having someone else do the regrip can be very reasonable if you're savvy about it. I also know a local driving range with an indoor facility that regularly has deals on 13 grips installed for a flat fee that ranges from $14-$30 depending on the grips they're clearing out.

Unless you're stealing grips, I don't how you can beat those prices and that's without even considering the time and hassle you're saving.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I'm not sure how to take the first part of this (all this time I thought I was a golfer), but I appreciate the advice. I've wanted to learn to re-grip for some time now. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Or just get PURE grips and don't worry about that stuff.

I just ordered the PURE compressor attachment and a set of PURE grips. Both the set and the gun together were less than $50 - maybe because the grips are orange. Thanks for the advice.

I disagree with this. Golftown charges $2 a grip for regripping, so less than $30 for a full set. They also have a HUGE sale on grips every February (IIRC), one year I got Winn Lites for $1 each ($3 installed), redid my entire set for under $50 tax in. Wasn't crazy about the Winns but that's besides the point. If you time your regrip with their clearance sales, which should be a no-brainer as it's in the middle of the off season, you can get it done pretty cheaply. I don't know what the initial outlay would be on equipping yourself to DIY but, in my experience, having someone else do the regrip can be very reasonable if you're savvy about it. I also know a local driving range with an indoor facility that regularly has deals on 13 grips installed for a flat fee that ranges from $14-$30 depending on the grips they're clearing out.

Unless you're stealing grips, I don't how you can beat those prices and that's without even considering the time and hassle you're saving.

I don't think there's anyone in this area that'll do it that cheap but you're right, if done correctly it can be inexpensive. The guy who owns the simulators I use in the winter will put new grips on if I buy them. Forgot exactly what he charges but it wasn't much.

Even if the savings aren't that great, re-gripping clubs might be cool to learn.

Jon

I like your thinking in your first post.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Re-gripping my clubs is something I like to do myself just because I know it'll be done correctly. I had a putter grip put on incorrectly twice (I had to pay both times) and I haven't had another person do my grips since. It's just something that makes me more comfortable and confident over the ball because it means I know I did everything I could to put the best club possible into my hand for that shot.

I just started re-gripping and it is very easy.  The first two clubs were a little difficult, but I learned not to buy cheap grips...they were very thin, smell very rubbery, and they were very hard to push on because I had to put a bunch of tape under them to try and widen the grip.

The 3rd one took less than 5 minutes.  I was bored the other day and didn't want to go out to the garage, so I just used hairspray and slid it right on.  The Golf Pride Tour Velvet is much better and was much easier than the cheap Medallist grips I got from Golfsmith.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started re-gripping and it is very easy.  The first two clubs were a little difficult, but I learned not to buy cheap grips...they were very thin, smell very rubbery, and they were very hard to push on because I had to put a bunch of tape under them to try and widen the grip.

The 3rd one took less than 5 minutes.  I was bored the other day and didn't want to go out to the garage, so I just used hairspray and slid it right on.  The Golf Pride Tour Velvet is much better and was much easier than the cheap Medallist grips I got from Golfsmith.

I finally received the Pure grips yesterday and regripped 6 irons in about an hour. It was as easy as everyone described. The rest of the grips should arrive tomorrow.  I'm a bit nervous about the driver and fairways, but we'll see how that goes. I was even able to remove the old Adams grips without cutting them off. Since they're not in too bad of shape, they'll go on an older set I have laying around.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Jon

I disagree with this. Golftown charges $2 a grip for regripping, so less than $30 for a full set. They also have a HUGE sale on grips every February (IIRC), one year I got Winn Lites for $1 each ($3 installed), redid my entire set for under $50 tax in. Wasn't crazy about the Winns but that's besides the point. If you time your regrip with their clearance sales, which should be a no-brainer as it's in the middle of the off season, you can get it done pretty cheaply. I don't know what the initial outlay would be on equipping yourself to DIY but, in my experience, having someone else do the regrip can be very reasonable if you're savvy about it. I also know a local driving range with an indoor facility that regularly has deals on 13 grips installed for a flat fee that ranges from $14-$30 depending on the grips they're clearing out. Unless you're stealing grips, I don't how you can beat those prices and that's without even considering the time and hassle you're saving.

So, you'd rather spend $50 to re-grip rather than $15? A roll of double sided tape cost $10 and will last years. Home Depot has mineral spirits pretty cheap. I keep that around for various jobs. When you find a really good blowout on grips, you can pick them up and save them till later.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!