IGNORED

If You Could Only Use 2 Clubs

Gary L
Note: This thread is 892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’m thinking 3 wood (maybe driver) and 6 iron. You would need a club you can hit out there a good distance and it would be a good club to putt and play some shots around the green with.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6-iron around the green--chips, putting?  I don't know.

We just played a one club challenge at the Erie outing and everyone putted with a 5 or 6 iron. It's not as hard as you might think. It wasn't "easy" but also not impossible. You could even putt with the back of the club. You're not going to save that many shots going with a putter over an iron/hybrid/wedge. More importantly you want to give yourself the best chance at getting on the greens in regulation (or getting near the greens in regulation).

Mike McLoughlin

If I had to dump my bag today and take the 2 clubs I hit most comfortably it might be 5 iron and 8 iron. I know I'm lacking substantial distance this way and same with loft but I guess with only 2 to choose from I'd want what feels most comfortable not most versatile.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

If I had to dump my bag today and take the 2 clubs I hit most comfortably it might be 5 iron and 8 iron. I know I'm lacking substantial distance this way and same with loft but I guess with only 2 to choose from I'd want what feels most comfortable not most versatile.

You'd be surprised at how close or how many times you can hit the green from 110-130 with a 5 iron.

Mike McLoughlin

Sounds like everyone chose a 5 or 6 iron for a one-club tournament.  Anyone get funky and play it with a wood or hybrid?

No just 5 and 6 irons. We played the front nine at Whispering Woods from the white tees, 2947 yards.

Mike McLoughlin

So, how'd you do?

It was a scramble format with five teams of four. Results were: +3, +2, +1, E, E.

I agree with @mvmac . 3 wood and 6 iron would be the way to go.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Two clubs only, my Ping 2 iron and 9 iron.

* In My Ping DLX Bag *

Ping G25 driver 12.5 deg

Ping G25 Fairway 16.5 deg

Ping Rapture 2 Iron 18 deg (Alternet 20deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping I 20 Hybrid 20 deg      (Alternet 23 deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping G25 Irons 4-UW

Ping Tour Wedge SS 52 deg

Guerin Rife Barbados Putter (Alternet Odyssey White Ice 6 355g)

Preferred Ball Srixon Z Star.

how your putting with a driver ?, i feel a 2 iron be more versatile, long off the tee and close the face for putting,9 iron you can also be very versatile with.

* In My Ping DLX Bag *

Ping G25 driver 12.5 deg

Ping G25 Fairway 16.5 deg

Ping Rapture 2 Iron 18 deg (Alternet 20deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping I 20 Hybrid 20 deg      (Alternet 23 deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping G25 Irons 4-UW

Ping Tour Wedge SS 52 deg

Guerin Rife Barbados Putter (Alternet Odyssey White Ice 6 355g)

Preferred Ball Srixon Z Star.

I've played a bunch of these. My buddy and I used to take our kids out for 9-holes and we'd play a 2-club match. 3-hybrid and 6-iron for me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

Depending on the course…

Hybrid (2-iron/5-wood distance) and 7-iron

- or -

4-iron and sand wedge.

It's much easier to putt with a wedge, and to play short game shots with a wedge too. But getting close to the green in regulation is important as well. So I'm not sure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd be going with my hybrid and either a 6 iron or wedge. I think I'd still be able to take enough off the hybrid for most shots, and then have the wedge to play short shots around the green and putt with.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!