IGNORED

Steve Williams Inducted Into Caddy Hall Of Fame

RJH999
Note: This thread is 3512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think for tour pros a good caddy has to make few mistakes, protect their employer, be a bit of a psychologist and stay out of the way.

I agree. So how are these measured to determine the ones which are hall-of-fame worthy?

The reputation that SW seems to have ion this sites actually undeserved. People make up things like "he wanted the limelight when Scott won the Masters", which you can plainly see on video isn't true. He did the opposite. In interviews he is actually a nice person. A player like Woods (there are none) needs a caddy who can keep crowds in line and protect their player. Is he a bad person for doing his job? People seem to basically hate the fact that a caddy is New Zealand's highest paid sportsperson and that he is not shy on the golf course. I have seen him do some arrogant things, like taking off his bib a little early to reveal his sponsor logos, and yes, the comments he made about first win on the bag with Scott was over the top. BUT - he was treated like crap by Woods and his reaction was understandable. And I totally believe him when he says he didn't know what Tiger was doing. As for people here who don't understand the role of a caddy - or think their job is to read putts - the mind simply boggles. To me, one of the most cringeworthy things in televised golf is the caddy who knows he's got the mics aimed at him trying so hard to sound supportive and knowledgable and say 50 words when 20 would suffice. Williams does his job perfectly. He deserves the award, whatever status it may or may not have in the minds of amateur golf fans.
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It's not that I don't understand the role of a caddy...it's that I don't understand how one determines which ones are hall-of-fame-worthy.

I'll predict it now. The ones in there are the 'famous' ones - Angelo, Bruce, Bones, hell...maybe even Jack Jr. since he was on dad's bag for the 1986 Masters.

I mean, Briny Baird may have an awesome caddy. But I doubt he'd ever be considered for the HOF since his man has never won an event.

Robert Allenby will tell you what a bad one is.

The other side of the coin is that caddies will tell you which players (see line above) are an absolute nightmare to work for. ;-)

Robert Allenby will tell you what a bad one is.

The other side of the coin is that caddies will tell you which players (see line above) are an absolute nightmare to work for.

Well, I don't have Robert's number handy to call & ask him. ;-)

And besides, it's not the bad ones we're trying to determine. It's the HOF-worthy ones.

The reputation that SW seems to have ion this sites actually undeserved.

People make up things like "he wanted the limelight when Scott won the Masters", which you can plainly see on video isn't true. He did the opposite.

In interviews he is actually a nice person.

A player like Woods (there are none) needs a caddy who can keep crowds in line and protect their player. Is he a bad person for doing his job?

People seem to basically hate the fact that a caddy is New Zealand's highest paid sportsperson and that he is not shy on the golf course.

I have seen him do some arrogant things, like taking off his bib a little early to reveal his sponsor logos, and yes, the comments he made about first win on the bag with Scott was over the top. BUT - he was treated like crap by Woods and his reaction was understandable.

And I totally believe him when he says he didn't know what Tiger was doing.

As for people here who don't understand the role of a caddy - or think their job is to read putts - the mind simply boggles.

To me, one of the most cringeworthy things in televised golf is the caddy who knows he's got the mics aimed at him trying so hard to sound supportive and knowledgable and say 50 words when 20 would suffice.

Williams does his job perfectly. He deserves the award, whatever status it may or may not have in the minds of amateur golf fans.

Yeah, I try to not have too strong of an opinion on Steve Williams ... or anybody for that matter, because I don't know the guy.  All I know is he was Tiger Woods' caddy for several wins and now he's Adam Scotts caddy for several wins, including his first major.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I doubt it.

Speaking of coincidence, and this goes directly to your very first point ...  If I were to list the people that are most "hated" on TST, the first three that come to my mind right now are, in no particular order:  Steve Williams, Brandel Chamblee, and Hank Haney.  The three guys who a lot of people perceive as having wronged Tiger Woods in some way, shape or form in the past few years.  I don't think that is a coincidence.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I were to list the people that are most "hated" on TST, the first three that come to my mind right now are, in no particular order:  Steve Williams, Brandel Chamblee, and Hank Haney.

Thanks for the compliment, GD :-P

I seem to have dodged another bullet!

Thanks for the compliment, GD :-P I seem to have dodged another bullet!

Lol. You're just misunderstood.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Plus he said people-we are still not sure you are human.[quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/76998/steve-williams-inducted-into-caddy-hall-of-fame/18#post_1051378"] Lol. You're just misunderstood.[/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Plus he said people-we are still not sure you are human.

Lol! Curmudgeon fight!!!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yeah, I try to not have too strong of an opinion on Steve Williams ... or anybody for that matter, because I don't know the guy.  All I know is he was Tiger Woods' caddy for several wins and now he's Adam Scotts caddy for several wins, including his first major.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I doubt it.

Speaking of coincidence, and this goes directly to your very first point ...  If I were to list the people that are most "hated" on TST, the first three that come to my mind right now are, in no particular order:  Steve Williams, Brandel Chamblee, and Hank Haney.  The three guys who a lot of people perceive as having wronged Tiger Woods in some way, shape or form in the past few years.  I don't think that is a coincidence.

Stevie and Hank don't make my list of most hated.  I don't care for how they handled the end of their business relationship with Tiger but they both earned their place to be where they are in golf.  Stevie is one of the best caddies out there imo, so he rightly deserves a place in the HOF.

I'd actually like Hank if he didn't write the book about his time with Tiger.

Brandel is a a$$hat and I don't see anything redeeming in his public persona.

Joe Paradiso

The reputation that SW seems to have ion this sites actually undeserved. People make up things like "he wanted the limelight when Scott won the Masters", which you can plainly see on video isn't true. He did the opposite. In interviews he is actually a nice person. A player like Woods (there are none) needs a caddy who can keep crowds in line and protect their player. Is he a bad person for doing his job? People seem to basically hate the fact that a caddy is New Zealand's highest paid sportsperson and that he is not shy on the golf course. I have seen him do some arrogant things, like taking off his bib a little early to reveal his sponsor logos, and yes, the comments he made about first win on the bag with Scott was over the top. BUT - he was treated like crap by Woods and his reaction was understandable. And I totally believe him when he says he didn't know what Tiger was doing. As for people here who don't understand the role of a caddy - or think their job is to read putts - the mind simply boggles. To me, one of the most cringeworthy things in televised golf is the caddy who knows he's got the mics aimed at him trying so hard to sound supportive and knowledgable and say 50 words when 20 would suffice. Williams does his job perfectly. He deserves the award, whatever status it may or may not have in the minds of amateur golf fans.

Stevie's overt racist comments towards Tiger were a little over the top. His anger/frustration was justifiable, but not his comments. In other news, Bubba Watson's caddy should be a HoF contender for not clubbing his man to death mid-round with a sand wedge.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 3512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!