IGNORED

3 Keys to Better Putting

iacas
Note: This thread is 1551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

From James Sieckmann's book…

FullSizeRender.jpg

In his order, that's…

1. Bead
  2. Read
  3. Speed

And the fourth I kinda disagree with. I'm not trying to hole every putt, nor do I expect to hole every putt.

I expect that I'll give every putt a good chance, but once I do my job (the first three keys), it's up to chance whether my ball hits the right little bits and goes in. Particularly from outside, oh, 8-12 feet.

If you do the first three things properly, you'll have confidence that you're a good putter because you are… so #4 is "kinda" true… but not literally.

What's your thought process on a long putt?  For putts outside 15' or so, I've been thinking for a while that I'll get this close, or within 10%, somewhere between a goal and an attempt to will that result, or at least focus on it.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The best tip I have ever gotten on putting is from Gary Player. In a video I watched he said the most important thing in putting is to watch the putter strike the ball. Don't watch the ball go into the hole, but instead listen for it. It is very hard and takes much discipline to keep your head down but trust me, it works! I practiced this method for a few hours and shot my best 9 hole score (37) in a high school match a few days ago. Try this and your putting from 20 feet and in will improve dramatically! 

• Administrator
22 hours ago, Shindig said:

What's your thought process on a long putt?  For putts outside 15' or so, I've been thinking for a while that I'll get this close, or within 10%, somewhere between a goal and an attempt to will that result, or at least focus on it.  

I give it the best chance it has. That's all I ever do, on any putt.

From 30', for example, I know the make percentages. I don't think it'll go in. But I still just give it the best chance I can.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2017 at 5:00 PM, Alx said:

20170606_180054.thumb.jpg.7aaa2ba05df3ebfcd624abdb5c356dc9.jpg20170606_212154.thumb.jpg.a4277b33cbe3996ae5b93eb32bad21bd.jpg

20170606_192735.thumb.jpg.fa4ee7975669099891790b401b2e4501.jpg

I counted 3 holes where we had what I would describe as good greens... The rest are basically this.

Lol at iacas' response.  

I agree, those green look like they'd give you an "inconsistent" putting surface for sure.

• 2 months later...

I play with a fellow who, when putting, looks at the hole rather then his ball when making the stroke. No stats but it really seems to work for him. Any thoughts on that, I was thinking of trying it?

Putting is costing me up to 10 strokes a round, I end up three putting most greens. I'm usually on in three, on a par four, but walk off with a six, very frustrating! 

My problem is pulling or pushing a putt, don't know how to correct the problem?

I can read greens and distance control is fine, but I miss most three to four foot putts! I call them 'knee knockers,' I have no confidence in sinking those putts and I usually don't.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

I play with a fellow who, when putting, looks at the hole rather then his ball when making the stroke. No stats but it really seems to work for him. Any thoughts on that, I was thinking of trying it?

Jordan Spieth did/does this on some putts, especially shorter ones. Give it a shot.

4 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

I end up three putting most greens. 

I can read greens and distance control is fine, but I miss most three to four foot putts! 

If you three putt most greens and you're missing 3-4 footers, that obviously means after your first putt you are leaving yourself 3-4 feet. I wouldn't say your distance control is fine.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 minutes ago, klineka said:

Jordan Spieth did/does this on some putts, especially shorter ones. Give it a shot.

If you three putt most greens and you're missing 3-4 footers, that obviously means after your first putt you are leaving yourself 3-4 feet. I wouldn't say your distance control is fine.

Good point, I pull or push my "lag" putts leaving me 3 to 4 foot to the side of the cup. I meant my distance to the cup was fine but I would be off to one side or the other. If I'm not pushing or pulling the longer putts then maybe I need to work on reading the greens as well. But I do know I need to work on those 3 to 4 footers.

Just now, cooke119 said:

Good point, I pull or push my "lag" putts leaving me 3 to 4 foot to the side of the cup. I meant my distance to the cup was fine but I would be off to one side or the other. If I'm not pushing or pulling the longer putts then maybe I need to work on reading the greens as well. But I do know I need to work on those 3 to 4 footers.

You could always try the "gate" drill, can be with multiple sets of tees or just one set of tees, something like this, and as you get better just bring the tees closer towards the toe and heel of the putter.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

You could always try the "gate" drill, can be with multiple sets of tees or just one set of tees, something like this, and as you get better just bring the tees closer towards the toe and heel of the putter.

image.png

Interesting, I will try it. I do notice that on my back stroke the putter head appears to wobble a little. This will help, I'll practice it today. Thanks

49 minutes ago, klineka said:

image.png

I am not a fan of straight back and straight through. It causes too many unnatural compensations in controlling the face to path. Letting the putter have a natural arc lets the clubface to rotate more naturally.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

Go buy yourself a metal yardstick.  Learn to putt the length of it.. It will help you significantly. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

38 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I am not a fan of straight back and straight through. It causes too many unnatural compensations in controlling the face to path. Letting the putter have a natural arc lets the clubface to rotate more naturally.

Yeah I agree with that and I have a slight arc in my motion too, the picture was more just for demonstration of the gate drill, I'll do a few putts every so often with the gate, but I just use one set of tees.

2 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Putting is costing me up to 10 strokes a round, I end up three putting most greens. I'm usually on in three, on a par four, but walk off with a six, very frustrating! 

My problem is pulling or pushing a putt, don't know how to correct the problem?

I can read greens and distance control is fine, but I miss most three to four foot putts! I call them 'knee knockers,' I have no confidence in sinking those putts and I usually don't.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't like the Jordan Spieth thing at all. I don't get how you could possibly hit a putt on line when you aren't watching the ball, but if it works it works.

A drill I like for practicing hitting a spot is to lay down 2 balls in a fairly flat spot on the green 2-3 feet from each other and play billiards golf with them. So you hit your first ball into the second ball, and you want to try to make the second ball travel as straight as you possibly can. Practice different putt power, but always move the ball to within a couple feet.

:whistle:

• Administrator

I can make putts with my eyes closed after I line it up. Same thing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

53 minutes ago, iacas said:

I can make putts with my eyes closed after I line it up. Same thing.

You've putt that to the test?

And you sure can make some but can you make more putts that way? I guess it could keep you from something that you see and subconsciously try to adjust.

:whistle:

I was playing with a guy last week that would push the club out and away from him on the backswing, then kinda cut across it on the way through. He was basically swinging the putter with his hands and not his shoulders. I dont do that in my stroke, but Ive been struggling a bit with putting this year and seeing this guy putt gave me a idea of something i should work on. I did the towel under the armpit thing and just practiced making 3-4 footers for a few minutes and the stroke began to feel much more solid again. I too was getting a little armsy and didnt realize it. Distance control much better next time out when i swung the putter with my shoulders and arms as a unit instead of just the hands and arms. 

I like the feeling of chasing the ball with the putter head down my intended line. That doesn't really happen, but its what i like to feel. And putting is a mostly feel thing IMO. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jshots said:

You've putt that to the test?

Yeah.

And I’m not talking about short ones alone.

I've heard people that use the no look method describe it as shooting a free throw.   You don't look at the ball when you shoot, at least you shouldn't .   

Personally, I don't care to even try that method.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!