IGNORED

How to Hit a Driver (Hit it Further and Stop Slicing!)

mvmac
Note:Β This thread is 1131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

If your hips, the center of movement and power, are not working correctly, all else counts little. Β IMO>

Me? Β I fit Mike's criterion precisely as the 'guy too steep' with driver. I can hit the 5 wood off the mat very well. Β Put the ball on a rubber tee and pick up the driver and all results go total crap. Β How many pop-ups can a guy accept before putting the damn thing back in the bag? Β When the ball goes more up than out, like up in the air 20 yards but only 12 yards forward, time to find an instructor. Β Or ditch the driver. Β Try every idea i know to get back on normal swing path has not been successful.

it's gotten in my head &Β my swing is a mess lately with all these crazy swing thoughts &Β its' becoming the absolute bane of my (golf) existence.

Try every idea i know to get back on normal swing path has not been successful.

To both you guys, as @iacas said, recommend starting a swing thread.

@inthehole are you hitting it towards the toe with these hooks?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@inthehole are you hitting it towards the toe with these hooks?

yes - toe shots are a guaranteed snap hook ... hit manyΒ more of those than I like to.Β Β Β Β  Even on good hits, it's always a heavy draw, if not the unpredictable hook.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

yes - toe shots are a guaranteed snap hook ... hit manyΒ more of those than I like to.Β Β Β Β  Even on good hits, it's always a heavy draw, if not the unpredictable hook.

I had this issue a couple months back, it's called "gear effect". Mike helped me fix that, along with many other swing flaws. Start a my swing thread.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

Start a my swing thread.

Yes. It's not really the topic here.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Lihu

Start a my swing thread.

OK I give ... for the severely technologically challenged among us ... do you have to figure out how to post a video on youtube, or can you just insert a video file into a threadΒ like we do with pictures ?

John

• Administrator

OK I give ... for the severely technologically challenged among us ... do you have to figure out how to post a video on youtube, or can you just insert a video file into a threadΒ like we do with pictures ?

https://www.youtube.com/upload . We aren't a video hosting site. :)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

DOH ... tried one of my older drivers with muchΒ less offset for last coupleΒ rounds & hooks be gone.Β Β Β  Wish I questioned my equipment a couple months ago rather than thinking it was an issue with my swing and beating my head against the wall trying to fix something that wasn't all that broken to begin withΒ (fail is strong when using an offset driver when the inherent tendency is to fight a hook - I guess I was able to make unconscious adjustments so it worked most of the time, but broke down over time to becoming unreliable)

All I can sayΒ is ... :doh:

John

Jonathan Byrd from the McGladrey

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

IΒ΄m still working on my drive strike, and this thread is being my biggest help. I can now send the ball quite good, many times placed it in the fairway, and my results have been improved a lot since. However, I think that I get a short distance, because the ball goes really high, and this makes me loose distance. Maybe is not a problem of tee high, and the fault is on my swing, maybe too steep. Other thing IΒ΄m trying to fix, is to keep my left arm straight and stretched os the top of my backswing, so it gives me the sensation of a really wide movement, and then is when I hit it further...Keep working on it !! :-D - Amazing game !! -

:nike:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I guess I should have just put up the dtl view

@mvmac . Sorry for the late request, but any chance you could add a few more DTL frames for the rest of the sequence? I feel like I get into an ok position at the top, but just cannot figure out how the transition is supposed to work.

@mvmac. Sorry for the late request, but any chance you could add a few more DTL frames for the rest of the sequence? I feel like I get into an ok position at the top, but just cannot figure out how the transition is supposed to work.

Sure, I'll use Daniel Summerhays. Understand that this is more of a knowledge thread, golf isn't "paint by numbers" and I want to make sure you don't start thinking about all these things when you're playing or practicing. The best way to improve is to identify and work on a priority piece, something that's specific for you. I'd recommend starting a swing thread.

Ok, here's the driver swing from dtl.

Left knee gains flex, right knee lessens, allows the hips and shoulders to turn on an angle and for the arms/hands/club to travel in and up.

Weight and lower center are transferring forward with a steady head, creating axis tilt. This keeps the arms "in" so he can swing OUTward. Most slicers will have the shaft steeper on the left and club outside the hands on the right.

Having the club head inside the hands doesn't guarantee an OUTward swing direction, I've seen players "in" a few degrees at A6 that end up swinging a little left. That can be a "good player problem".

Hip thrust and the handle "raising".

Mike McLoughlin

Sure, I'll use Daniel Summerhays. Understand that this is more of a knowledge thread, golf isn't "paint by numbers" and I want to make sure you don't start thinking about all these things when you're playing or practicing. The best way to improve is to identify and work on a priority piece, something that's specific for you. I'd recommend starting a swing thread.

Ok, here's the driver swing from dtl.

Left knee gains flex, right knee lessens, allows the hips and shoulders to turn on an angle and for the arms/hands/club to travel in and up.

Weight and lower center are transferring forward with a steady head, creating axis tilt. This keeps the arms "in" so he can swing OUTward. Most slicers will have the shaft steeper on the left and club outside the hands on the right.

Ive been working on this by doing a drill I got from evolvr and I have no problem making my downswing look like this when Im pausing at the top and making sure I drop the club head down inside the making a swing. Β I'm struggling with this at full speed. Β Is there a feel I someone can pass on to me to make sure I drop the club inside right after my transition. Β  I want to send a video in for my next lesson but Im struggling getting into the right position on my downswing and I don't want to send in a video of the same swing (the wrong swing) twice. Any help would be great.

Ive been working on this by doing a drill I got from evolvr and I have no problem making my downswing look like this when Im pausing at the top and making sure I drop the club head down inside the making a swing. Β I'm struggling with this at full speed. Β Is there a feel I someone can pass on to me to make sure I drop the club inside right after my transition. Β  I want to send a video in for my next lesson but Im struggling getting into the right position on my downswing and I don't want to send in a video of the same swing (the wrong swing) twice. Any help would be great.

The feeling @iacas and I had you working on comes to mind. The feeling of "pushing" the ball out to right field with your path.

Mike McLoughlin

The[SIZE=13px]Β feelingΒ [/SIZE] @iacas [SIZE=13px]Β and I had you working on comes to mind. The feeling of "pushing" the ball out to right field with your path.[/SIZE]

Ok the weather has been pretty crappy but I've been trying to get to the range every other week. I'm going to work on that feel. I want to get it right since you guy have gotten me in such a good position from set up to the top of my back swing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys .Ive follow theΒ  swing thoughts on this post,, but I still have the problem. My problem is the ball goes straight where I aim it,but when the ball slows down it goes left.(lefty golfer). Ive tried everything cant get it to stop. Looked at a video of my swing and My left arm is a little bent on the downswing. Im over the top just a bit not alot.. Im trying one arm swings loading my left arm to keep it straight, trying to find the right slot. I would love your feed back on this. the thread has helped alot thanks again best regards Joe.......

Hello Guys .Ive follow theΒ  swing thoughts on this post,, but I still have the problem. My problem is the ball goes straight where I aim it,but when the ball slows down it goes left.(lefty golfer). Ive tried everything cant get it to stop. Looked at a video of my swing and My left arm is a little bent on the downswing. Im over the top just a bit not alot.. Im trying one arm swings loading my left arm to keep it straight, trying to find the right slot. I would love your feed back on this. the thread has helped alot thanks again best regards Joe.......

Hi, welcome to the site.

I would take a look at the first post and kind of go through this check list.

-Are you setting up with the hips forward?

- Are the feet turned out at address?

- Are you making a centered hip turn on the backswing?

- Is the weight getting forward on the downswing?

Mike McLoughlin

Thank you for your responce. I take the top of the post withe me, I want to say I do all of it but if I was doing everything on the list I think my problems would be gone. My ball off the tee goes right where i aim it as it slows down the spin takes it left. I have to say it's more of a over fade. (stack and tilt book pg 122 #4) Ive tried swinging to right field, thats right where the ball goes to right field.If I slow the swing down its a playable overfade, but lacks distance. If I swing hard sometimes you can see the side spin.....

Note:Β This thread is 1131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!