IGNORED

Kronos putter on SharkTank

Gary L
Note: This thread is 3513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Mandala flange thickens as it gets deeper.  This moves the center of gravity back, increasing forgiveness and encouraging acceleration through the putting stroke.

Um.... if it's going to encourage a bad habit AND cost a lot I think I'll have to pass.

I can only imagine the simultaneous groan and eye roll coming from Erik as he reads the underlined portion lol.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just happened to see this episode tonight on Hulu. Being a big golf fan when I heard "golf product" I was interested to see what it was. Now I must say that the price is pretty high, very high actually. But the criticism and comments here are I'm sorry... a joke. I am not by any means saying they will make it or they wont, but almost everything that HAS made it... In any industry, started from nothing and I'm sure came with plenty of "your product stinks, you can't compete, there is no way you are successful with this". These guys are clearly passionate about what they do making such a high end product. Like someone else said, just one pro using this and having some success could be all they need. Someone else also mentioned why didn't they ask about a patent or anything that like... Patents are expensive and overrated and the value placed on patents in the Shark Tank is unreal

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I just happened to see this episode tonight on Hulu. Being a big golf fan when I heard "golf product" I was interested to see what it was. Now I must say that the price is pretty high, very high actually. But the criticism and comments here are I'm sorry... a joke. I am not by any means saying they will make it or they wont, but almost everything that HAS made it... In any industry, started from nothing and I'm sure came with plenty of "your product stinks, you can't compete, there is no way you are successful with this". These guys are clearly passionate about what they do making such a high end product. Like someone else said, just one pro using this and having some success could be all they need.

Someone else also mentioned why didn't they ask about a patent or anything that like... Patents are expensive and overrated and the value placed on patents in the Shark Tank is unreal

What is success?

I think you must appeal to more than a PGA Touring Pro ... Cameron was right time, right place, good product in the late '90's.

The market has evolved. I think you see several boutique makers on the various tours but that does not translate into world name recognition. Piretti received a lot of props with Stenson last year, but he stopped using it; and I would bet that they typical Joe Golfer has not heard of Piretti, or Byron or Edel, Bobby Grace, or David Mills, or that new German maker that Duval uses, and a host of others. If you are not an OEM, or were bought by an OEM because Tiger or Rors were using your putter, that brand recognition is tough.

So what is success?

If I know the boutique market, why would I buy something off the shelf, when for the same price, I can get a custom fit for everything Edel for $540 or so, or a custom weight Edel for $380 (+/- a few $$), or a Mills or Byron where I'm talking with the maker about what offset and head I want and custom sight lines.

It may happen for them, but I think they need to find a custom niche or stats that show their superior production methods show tangle results.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I just happened to see this episode tonight on Hulu. Being a big golf fan when I heard "golf product" I was interested to see what it was. Now I must say that the price is pretty high, very high actually. But the criticism and comments here are I'm sorry... a joke. I am not by any means saying they will make it or they wont, but almost everything that HAS made it... In any industry, started from nothing and I'm sure came with plenty of "your product stinks, you can't compete, there is no way you are successful with this". These guys are clearly passionate about what they do making such a high end product. Like someone else said, just one pro using this and having some success could be all they need. Someone else also mentioned why didn't they ask about a patent or anything that like... Patents are expensive and overrated and the value placed on patents in the Shark Tank is unreal

I'm admittedly ignorant here, but isn't the likely reason Kronos did't patent anything because they didn't have anything to patent? What's patentable about this putter that hasn't been patented?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris223

I just happened to see this episode tonight on Hulu. Being a big golf fan when I heard "golf product" I was interested to see what it was. Now I must say that the price is pretty high, very high actually. But the criticism and comments here are I'm sorry... a joke. I am not by any means saying they will make it or they wont, but almost everything that HAS made it... In any industry, started from nothing and I'm sure came with plenty of "your product stinks, you can't compete, there is no way you are successful with this". These guys are clearly passionate about what they do making such a high end product. Like someone else said, just one pro using this and having some success could be all they need.

Someone else also mentioned why didn't they ask about a patent or anything that like... Patents are expensive and overrated and the value placed on patents in the Shark Tank is unreal

I'm admittedly ignorant here, but isn't the likely reason Kronos did't patent anything because they didn't have anything to patent? What's patentable about this putter that hasn't been patented?

They have nothing to patent that would be significant. Their "pitch" that it was milled out of a single block of metal and that the center point of their Ping knockoff balances on the sight line is certainly nothing new. The Sharks ask about patents since they know if you don't have one, it is very likely that someone will come by and knock you off. That is, if your product is successful. Without patent protection, you are wide open to getting killed by the copycats. And, there goes your investment.....

I know they have nothing to patent. Just stating that patents are overrated and the patent system is broken. It can take YEARS for a patent to be approved... More than enough time for copycats to kill you. If someone bigger does try to copycat, you'll spend a fortune in time and money fighting it out in court until you're broke. 97% of all issued patents never make it to market. And many successful products were never patented, WD-40 for example.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I know they have nothing to patent. Just stating that patents are overrated and the patent system is broken. It can take YEARS for a patent to be approved... More than enough time for copycats to kill you. If someone bigger does try to copycat, you'll spend a fortune in time and money fighting it out in court until you're broke. 97% of all issued patents never make it to market. And many successful products were never patented, WD-40 for example.

In the time it takes to issue a patent, the patent is "pending". While it is pending, you don't know exactly what the patent will cover. Will you dare to copy it and risk treble damages when the patent is issued and it covers what you are making? I don't think so. That's why "patent pending" deters more copycats than the actual patent. Once the patent issues, you can examine the claims to see how you may be able to get around it. Until then, you are taking a risk.

I know. I have 60+ patents in my name.

I was shocked Kronos made it on the show and even more so that Robert invested in them.

I'm not sure if it was a set up or the weeping really got to Robert but Robert totally ignored all the sharks typical rules of investment analysis.   Kronos valuation was way too high, there was nothing about the design that could be protected (patents) and the founders didn't provide any research data on current market share, market potential or cost of customer acquisition.

You're not going to sell a lot of $500 putters online here without some pro's playing them and a lot of hype surrounding them.  I agree with Kevin, we should have a moment of silence for Robert's money dying.

Joe Paradiso

I saw it ... the incessant blubbering was a bit much.    Best part was the female judge ... she said her husband loves golf and she HATES golf - so true of so many couples (except mine   :-)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Obviously, there is a lot of "scripting" going on in this show. True, the Sharks are investing their own money. But the producers know the product and pitch well before time, and play it to the hilt. Cue the "tear jerking music" when the begger starts to cry. Even Kevin O'Leary was chopping onions in his lap. The show is entertaining, but not really spontaneous or "real".

Obviously, there is a lot of "scripting" going on in this show. True, the Sharks are investing their own money. But the producers know the product and pitch well before time, and play it to the hilt. Cue the "tear jerking music" when the begger starts to cry. Even Kevin O'Leary was chopping onions in his lap. The show is entertaining, but not really spontaneous or "real".

Yep, it's TV.  Still, does anyone think that this putter would improve their game?

Yep, it's TV.  Still, does anyone think that this putter would improve their game?

Any putter that instills more confidence in your putting ability will improve your game on a temporary basis.  I'm sure some people read the technology blurb about the weighting, see the price and feel that this will remedy their putting woes.  It will likely work for a few rounds until the honeymoon period wears off or they find a new, "better" putter to replace it.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!