IGNORED

Will Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

MS256
Note: This thread is 3400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will spreading of Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

• No.
    • Yes.

Here's the thing about the calls for a travel ban, we are in month 3 of the epidemic, how many times has the screening failed? Once?

Actually, according to this article , Duncan came here on a flight from Belgium.  I haven't heard anybody suggest that it's necessary or feasible to ban 100% of flights coming to this country from abroad so even if we had a travel ban from West Africa from the start, nothing would be any different.

In 3 months (patient zero died almost 10 months ago, but the WHO didn't consider it a public health emergency until August 8th) we've had 3 cases here in the US.  One who came here from Europe, and 2 who got it from him while treating him.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rush had on an expert who said they should end the flights.  I think he was a fiction novelist.  Rush also suggested that Obama is letting ebola in as payback for slavery, but I digress....

I go back and forth on the travel restrictions.  Unlike David, I think there's a big downside to restricting travel.  then you see this f'ing nurse flying to cleveland and the other guy getting on a cruise ship, and the guy dying in his vomit on the plane into JFK and start to think we need to do more.  But I also can't help but think that if only 1 infected person has slipped through since this started in July, then the current game plan is working extremely well.

Only 2 people have actually caught it here.  And their both still alive.  I think we've got to keep that in perspective.  Of course that can change if the 260 people she flew with and everyone those people met with turn out to have ebola.

I read last night that they flew the first nurse to NIH, which is less than 10 miles from my house.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

But I also can't help but think that if only 1 infected person has slipped through since this started in July, then the current game plan is working extremely well.

Only 2 people have actually caught it here.  And their both still alive.

I think we've got to keep that in perspective.

And I think you need to relax and stop panicking!!! :-P

Rush had on an expert who said they should end the flights.  I think he was a fiction novelist.  Rush also suggested that Obama is letting ebola in as payback for slavery, but I digress....

I didn't hear Rushie make that comment but I'm sure he was joking trying to get a rise out of the left. If you were listening you probably realize that, if you read it on Huffpo, you may not. [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/77593/will-ebola-become-a-big-problem-in-the-united-states/160_40#post_1066245"]Actually, according to [URL=http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/16/3580494/travel-ban-wont-solve-ebola/]this article[/URL], Duncan came here on a flight from Belgium.  I haven't heard anybody suggest that it's necessary or feasible to ban 100% of flights coming to this country from abroad so even if we had a travel ban from West Africa from the start, nothing would be any different. [/quote] OMG. We have the remarkable ability to weed out those from the affected countries by way of their passports and visas. Let's just turn em around, individually. No need to ban all flights from everywhere, cripes. And I gotta ask, if the outbreak occurred in Israel or even GB, would the same ridiculous arguments apply? I think not, you'd be arguing completely the other way because our government would and you'd parrott them as you're doing now.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

http://www.arlnow.com/2014/10/17/developing-ebola-scare-at-the-pentagon/

Goddamnit.  First they move the nurse to Bethesda.  Then some doctor from Sierra Leon with ebola.  And now there's an ebola scare at the pentagon. I may need to suit up like the lady at Dulles.

Lady just chilling at Dulles in her homemade Hazmat suit

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I read last night that they flew the first nurse to NIH, which is less than 10 miles from my house.

Heh.  I work at NIH, so I'm sitting about half a mile from the patient.  And my house is closer too :)

Come to think of it, I'm in the NIH golf league with the guy who runs the unit where these patients are kept.  Played with him a few weeks ago, just before they brought in the first ebola patient.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

And I gotta ask, if the outbreak occurred in Israel or even GB, would the same ridiculous arguments apply? I think not, you'd be arguing completely the other way because our government would and you'd parrott them as you're doing now.

I'm a bit offended by this. I have not been "parrotting" anybody.  The link I gave in the post you quoted was the first hit on a random google search of "ebola good idea to restrict travel."  I have no idea what Obama is saying about this or any other "lefties", or "righties" for that matter, because I don't really watch the news either.  So there is no "parrotting" going on here.

Just a guy taking in some information, considering it, and deciding for himself what he feels makes the most sense. You disagree, and that's fine.  But please don't insult my intelligence.

I'm a bit offended by this. I have not been "parrotting" anybody.  The link I gave in the post you quoted was the first hit on a random google search of "ebola good idea to restrict travel."  I have no idea what Obama is saying about this or any other "lefties", or "righties" for that matter, because I don't really watch the news either.  So there is no "parrotting" going on here.

Just a guy taking in some information, considering it, and deciding for himself what he feels makes the most sense. You disagree, and that's fine.  But please don't insult my intelligence.

Its just a crutch to dismiss rational thought rather than counter it with a rational thought.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Heh.  I work at NIH, so I'm sitting about half a mile from the patient.  And my house is closer too :)

Come to think of it, I'm in the NIH golf league with the guy who runs the unit where these patients are kept.  Played with him a few weeks ago, just before they brought in the first ebola patient.

I hope you have a hazmat suit! :-P

I was in Rockville this morning and drove past the area on my way into DC.

What courses does your NIH league play so I know to avoid them?

Let's all be honest.  Hysteria is a lot more fun than acting rationally.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Its just a crutch to dismiss rational thought rather than counter it with a rational thought.

I agree, this isn't a lefty, righty issue so let's apply some rational thought to this.

If a friend of yours had a stomach virus or the flu would you?

1. Not be concerned that you or your family would get sick and invite him/her and their family over to your home
  2. Invite the family to your home but not the person that was currently exhibiting symptoms
  3. Hold off on the invitation until you were certain they were no longer contagious.

Joe Paradiso

The person at the Pentagon was found vomiting at 9:10 am est.  There is still no word on whether it was ebola.  Yet it seemed like the JFK incident was tested in minutes and determined not to be ebola.  I wonder why the same quick test could not be administered at the Pentagon.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I'm a bit offended by this. I have not been "parrotting" anybody.  The link I gave in the post you quoted was the first hit on a random google search of "ebola good idea to restrict travel."  I have no idea what Obama is saying about this or any other "lefties", or "righties" for that matter, because I don't really watch the news either.  So there is no "parrotting" going on here. Just a guy taking in some information, considering it, and deciding for himself what he feels makes the most sense. You disagree, and that's fine.  But please don't insult my intelligence.

No offense meant, truly. Started to write a long dissertation about how you actually have been influenced but decided against it. I will simply say that I'm sorry you are offended.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

The person at the Pentagon was found vomiting at 9:10 am est.  There is still no word on whether it was ebola.  Yet it seemed like the JFK incident was tested in minutes and determined not to be ebola.  I wonder why the same quick test could not be administered at the Pentagon.

To my knowledge there is no quick test, I believe they tried to reduce panic while they got it all sorted out.

EDIT:

The CDC did a cursory examination and held of on a full determination until an autopsy could be performed.  I'm guessing they didn't see blood in his vomit or his tear ducts so they felt confident given the person died that the advanced symptoms would have been present if it was Ebola.

Joe Paradiso

I agree, this isn't a lefty, righty issue so let's apply some rational thought to this.

If a friend of yours had a stomach virus or the flu would you?

Not be concerned that you or your family would get sick and invite him/her and their family over to your home

Invite the family to your home but not the person that was currently exhibiting symptoms

Hold off on the invitation until you were certain they were no longer contagious.

Same with ebola.  I would not invite someone with ebola to dinner.

But @Golfingdad would probably kiss the ebola patient.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I thought I provided rational solutions, rather than thoughts. I don't use crutches but I am not offended that you think I should.

I didn't hear Rushie make that comment but I'm sure he was joking trying to get a rise out of the left. If you were listening you probably realize that, if you read it on Huffpo, you may not.

OMG. We have the remarkable ability to weed out those from the affected countries by way of their passports and visas. Let's just turn em around, individually. No need to ban all flights from everywhere, cripes. And I gotta ask, if the outbreak occurred in Israel or even GB, would the same ridiculous arguments apply? I think not, you'd be arguing completely the other way because our government would and you'd parrott them as you're doing now.

While you have the remarkable ability to discount anybody who may be assessed as an "expert" and prefer to listen to anybody opposed to what these "experts" may propose. Especially if they have anything to do with the evil Government. BTW, what was your position when the Bush Administration listened to the same "experts" and chose not to ban travel at the time surrounding what was an airborne virus?

There is nobody in the country who has more understanding of Ebola than the WHO and CDC. Some mistakes have been made at the source in Dallas, but they are the ones who know the protocols and how to implement them going forward. That is why they got the nurses out of Dallas and into more secure environments. They didn't do it because Rush Limbaugh or John Boehner thinks it is a good idea, they did it because it was the right thing to do. Anybody who allows their politics to inform their opinions, or better yet their decisions, relating to things that have nothing to do with politics are being irrational.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

I hope you have a hazmat suit!

I was in Rockville this morning and drove past the area on my way into DC.

What courses does your NIH league play so I know to avoid them?

Let's all be honest.  Hysteria is a lot more fun than acting rationally.

Falls Road and Needwood.  Too bad the season is over.  Come to think of it, our end of season event took place at Musket Ridge.  The guy I was talking about was there, and this was after the patient had arrived, so you might want to avoid that course. :-)

Another guy in the league was talking about sequencing ebola.  His lab is actually doing it.  Not something you'd hear in most golf leagues, I'd guess.

BTW, you don't have to work at NIH to join the league, if you're interested.  Bring your own hazmat suit.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Note: This thread is 3400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!