IGNORED

Tech that helps find your ball.

18rounds
Note: This thread is 2928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is nothing new, we've all heard it on the course, it probably comes up from some golfer 100x a day on any given course.

Searching for lost balls is perhaps the biggest reason for overall slow play, and good players are just as guilty, they hate giving up on a decent drive lost in the rough.

Colored balls don't help, because it's not the color in most losses, its the grass hiding the ball until you're right on top of it.

The affordable tech is not there yet, if it were we would have them.

Today I was golfing on a leaf covered course and got to thinking, while I was looking for a ball that I swear I saw land on the fairway, what if the ball would have a RFID chip in it to help you find it?

Is the ability for the ball to be lost an integral part of the game?

Would it speed up play if groups did not spend 5 minutes looking for balls on every other hole?

Could a chip be put in a ball without changing it's playability?

These are the kind of things I think about when I am out there by myself.

I am surprised (or missed it - I read the thread quickly) that no one has mentioned that such balls would be illegal under the ROG if the electronic finding device is used..

14-3/14

Electronic Instrument Used to Find Ball

Q.A radio-frequency identification chip has been embedded in a golf ball. When used with a special radio receiver, a player may find such a ball readily because the receiver emits a signal that grows louder as the person holding the receiver moves closer to the ball. Is the use of such a ball and receiver permissible?

A.No. Use of such a ball in conjunction with the receiver is a breach of Rule 14-3.

However, use of such a ball without the receiver is permissible, provided the ball conforms to the Rules, the embedded chip has no capability other than identifying the ball and its use is in accordance with any conditions of competition that may have been adopted (e.g., the List of Conforming Golf Balls Condition).

Since the only possible reason for using the Prazza is the illegal use of the ball-finder I find it highly questionable and misleading for them to talk about the ball conforming to USGA rules without also mentioning that the thing you are paying all of the money for DOESN'T!!  And despite their claim that the ball by itself conforms, I do not see any Prazza brand ball on the USGA list of conforming balls.  And I spent some time poking around their web-site and could not find any place where they even address the legality issue other than their very misleading statement that the USGA has determined their ball conforms.

http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

I would never do business with a company like this.  They could have marketed it for non-USGA play but instead have chosen to try to deceive.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am surprised (or missed it - I read the thread quickly) that no one has mentioned that such balls would be illegal under the ROG if the electronic finding device is used..

Since the only possible reason for using the Prazza is the illegal use of the ball-finder I find it highly questionable and misleading for them to talk about the ball conforming to USGA rules without also mentioning that the thing you are paying all of the money for DOESN'T!!  And despite their claim that the ball by itself conforms, I do not see any Prazza brand ball on the USGA list of conforming balls.  And I spent some time poking around their web-site and could not find any place where they even address the legality issue other than their very misleading statement that the USGA has determined their ball conforms.

http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

I would never do business with a company like this.  They could have marketed it for non-USGA play but instead have chosen to try to deceive.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I saw it was USGA approved and never thought to look if the USGA permitted the technology.  I guess that explains why I didn't find many companies in the US that made them.

Joe Paradiso

There was a gizmo called "Gopher" golf ball finder that was sold for a short period in the 90's. It sold for about $120, and was simply a free-swinging, telescopic radio antenna connected to a plastic grip. It was supposedly "tuned" to the molecular signature of a golf ball. As you walked past the lost ball, the free-swinging antenna would turn and point at the ball - something like the idea of a "divining rod" which is used to "find water" underground. I managed to pick one of these up at a garage sale (complete with VHS tape) for $5. Makes no logical or scientific sense, but I put it in my bag to kill time while waiting on the tee. People are amazed that it seems to work! You can still buy these on ebay or other places, and it is quite the "conversation piece". Google "Gopher" golf ball finder and take a look. Recently, a guy in England jazzed one of these up with a fancy case and "programming cards" and sold thousands of these in Iraq for $40,000 each as "bomb detection" devices. He's in jail now.

Trust me - the golf ball Gopher "works". ;)

There was a gizmo called "Gopher" golf ball finder that was sold for a short period in the 90's. It sold for about $120, and was simply a free-swinging, telescopic radio antenna connected to a plastic grip. It was supposedly "tuned" to the molecular signature of a golf ball. As you walked past the lost ball, the free-swinging antenna would turn and point at the ball - something like the idea of a "divining rod" which is used to "find water" underground. I managed to pick one of these up at a garage sale (complete with VHS tape) for $5. Makes no logical or scientific sense, but I put it in my bag to kill time while waiting on the tee. People are amazed that it seems to work! You can still buy these on ebay or other places, and it is quite the "conversation piece". Google "Gopher" golf ball finder and take a look. Recently, a guy in England jazzed one of these up with a fancy case and "programming cards" and sold thousands of these in Iraq for $40,000 each as "bomb detection" devices. He's in jail now.

My next break, I'm going to look up (or try to figure out) how it works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gopher-Golf-Ball-Finder-Golfer-Save-Strokes-Under-Water-Bushes-Rough-Fair-Way-/331061207258

Cool find.

Not so funny:

http://www.businessinsider.com/uk-man-jailed-bomb-detectors-iraq-2013-5

EDIT: Looks like a near field capacitive variation detection circuit. Probably only in to 10 to 100MHz operating range. My guess is it only finds golf balls under certain circumstances.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Can't figure out how the "Gopher" golf ball finder actually works, but must be some sort of "witchcraft". One was cracked open during a trial here in the USA, and all they found was a couple of resistors and a few dead ants (!). No battery or electrical source. Supposedly, by walking slowly with this device at your side, you create a force field that gets interrupted by the ball. My B.S. meter reads "full" right about now, but the antenna does seem to swing around and point at a ball on the ground  when you pass by it. One thing for certain - you will never find a golf gadget that is as unique or as fun as this is. Real voodoo!

Can't figure out how the "Gopher" golf ball finder actually works, but must be some sort of "witchcraft". One was cracked open during a trial here in the USA, and all they found was a couple of resistors and a few dead ants (!). No battery or electrical source. Supposedly, by walking slowly with this device at your side, you create a force field that gets interrupted by the ball. My B.S. meter reads "full" right about now, but the antenna does seem to swing around and point at a ball on the ground  when you pass by it. One thing for certain - you will never find a golf gadget that is as unique or as fun as this is. Real voodoo!

It might be picking up FM radio waves or some other source. I'm just glad you only paid $5 for the novelty.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It might be picking up FM radio waves or some other source. I'm just glad you only paid $5 for the novelty.

If it actually works to any extent, I imagine it would also be considered illegal by the USGA.

Rich - in name only

If it actually works to any extent, I imagine it would also be considered illegal by the USGA.

So, you're saying that if we made a copper infused paint and FMCW 77GHz radar, it would/could be banned by USGA?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So, you're saying that if we made a copper infused paint and FMCW 77GHz radar, it would/could be banned by USGA?

Even though I don't know what half of that is, absolutely they would ban it, IMO.  Why wouldn't it be banned?  I think you have to read the decision I posted in the spirit of its intent.  They do not want unusual equipment used to find golf balls.

Rich - in name only

Even though I don't know what half of that is, absolutely they would ban it, IMO.  Why wouldn't it be banned?  I think you have to read the decision I posted in the spirit of its intent.  They do not want unusual equipment used to find golf balls.

I agree that the "Gopher" and it's makers are a bit "unusual", but radar systems are very common. :smartass:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The cynical side of me thinks ball manufacturers are going to resist any rfid sol'n or whatever thing you do to "tag" a ball mightily. Unless they find an angle to sell more balls. What if camera and computer technology improve so much that you have a device you set behind the ball and it locates the ball, Trackman like? This co-opts the ball manufacturers. They can do nothing to prevent something like this from coming to market. Yeah, they could buy it out and kill it surreptitiously, but that's a bit paranoid. Or is it?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The cynical side of me thinks ball manufacturers are going to resist any rfid sol'n or whatever thing you do to "tag" a ball mightily. Unless they find an angle to sell more balls.

What if camera and computer technology improve so much that you have a device you set behind the ball and it locates the ball, Trackman like? This co-opts the ball manufacturers. They can do nothing to prevent something like this from coming to market. Yeah, they could buy it out and kill it surreptitiously, but that's a bit paranoid. Or is it?

Sounds like scoring lower is counter productive to selling more balls? ;-)

EDIT: Check this out. A simple FMCW radar will allow you to find this ball. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/995253465/hollow-metal-core-golf-balls

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/77830/tech-that-helps-find-your-ball/18#post_1070238"] The cynical side of me thinks ball manufacturers are going to resist any rfid sol'n or whatever thing you do to "tag" a ball mightily. Unless they find an angle to sell more balls. What if camera and computer technology improve so much that you have a device you set behind the ball and it locates the ball, Trackman like? This co-opts the ball manufacturers. They can do nothing to prevent something like this from coming to market. Yeah, they could buy it out and kill it surreptitiously, but that's a bit paranoid. Or is it?[/QUOTE] Sounds like scoring lower is counter productive to selling more balls? ;-)

Ha ha. I think that's a separate issue. If instruction overall improved 20 fold, there would be more people playing. More courses opening or not closing. And more rounds played per person because more fun if you play well and faster play (w/o said device.) Imho, ball manufacturers *want* lower scores. That's good for business. The increase in play should outweigh fewer balls lost.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Ha ha. I think that's a separate issue. If instruction overall improved 20 fold, there would be more people playing. More courses opening or not closing. And more rounds played per person because more fun if you play well and faster play (w/o said device.)

Imho, ball manufacturers *want* lower scores. That's good for business. The increase in play should outweigh fewer balls lost.

I'm sure Titleist would like me to use brand new balls every round. ;-)

As a testament to how good they are, I've been playing this Pro-V1x for the last week and a half. This is about twice as long lasting as the Pro-V1s. She's kind of looking sorry though, a few scuffs here and there. Good ole Vixie, as I affectionately call her, will need to be retired soon. I almost lost her to someone yesterday, but they realized they had made a mistake, and traded the DT-Solo ball they were about to abandon back for her.

I might have to start using KTLA-Bob (named after the logo on his side), another ProV1x.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Sweet idea, but I'm more of a traditionalist:

I was thinking about a small amount of low-grade isotope and a geiger counter, but that's an electronic device. How about a golf ball that pings? Training a pointer to sniff out and 'set' on your ball?

Kevin

They are already using RFID balls for some driving-range based golf games aimed at younger people that don't have the time/money to play on actual golf courses - aim at targets and a computer counts up the score.

• 1 year later...

There's now an app for iPhone and android phones to help locate your ball.  Uses object recognition technology of the phone to find it, as long as it's a white ball.

Has anybody here given this a try? (Won't work on my android--I'm still on 4.something and it requires android 5--so I can't try it myself.  Until I upgrade my phone.  Maybe I'll lose it today or something.)

http://golfballlocatorapp.com

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 2928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!