IGNORED

Is Distance Really That Important for Amateurs?

FireDragon76
Note: This thread is 3081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I absolutely second D Wheeler's post on the importance of short game.

I see also noted in Osman post that he is a long hitter whether with wood or iron. But he would rather gain 40 Yard drive into the rough than 40 yard back in the fairway.

Golf is a thinking game. I am sure majority will agree to position the ball so that the next shot will be easier. After all we are amateurs - Getting Par is already great.
For Professionals - of course they think they can deal with any situations and rewarded with adrenalin when their shots land near if not in the hole. Pros train with hundreds of balls daily and acquire great skills in difficult situations. However landing in roughs, if ball is buried in halfway can still be problematic to any best player.
If the next shot is another 200 Yard, this half buried ball most probably do not have to chance to reach Green in two, but a 240 yard on the fairway can, as Osman do well with 3W or less... - unless he is lucky it laid nicely floating in the rough.

What I aim to say - is that golf is also a thinking game. One should consider the layout of the course and plan it's approach. If your driver at 280 yard can end up 70% into the hazard (be it thick rough, water, deep sand trap or forest, why not consider a shorter drive 240 yard 80% chance on the fairway.
> /HH

• Administrator
I absolutely second D Wheeler's post on the importance of short game.

The short game is not terribly important.

What I aim to say - is that golf is also a thinking game. One should consider the layout of the course and plan it's approach. If your driver at 280 yard can end up 70% into the hazard (be it thick rough, water, deep sand trap or forest, why not consider a shorter drive 240 yard 80% chance on the fairway.

It turns out that those types of things rarely work out that way. Nobody has an extra 40 yards to spare, and even the most accurate PGA Tour players don't hit 80% of their fairways .

Let's talk about real things, and not just make up hypotheticals, please.

Plus, seriously, a 5-iron versus a 9-iron? I'm taking the 9-iron.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see also noted in Osman post that he is a long hitter whether with wood or iron. But he would rather gain 40 Yard drive into the rough than 40 yard back in the fairway.

I would take 40 yards closer in the rough compared to 40 yards shorter in the fairway every day of the week, all day, all night, and on holidays.

Golf is a thinking game. I am sure majority will agree to position the ball so that the next shot will be easier.

I agree, the shot from 40 yards closer will be easier ;-) I'd rather have a 9 iron in the light-medium rough than a 5 iron from the fairway.

Just because someone hits it long doesn't mean they have a good chance of hitting it in trouble. And if someone has a 70% chance of hitting it trouble, hitting it 40 yards shorter won't lead to an 80% improvement in accuracy. You're just making stuff up to fit your opinion.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Just because someone hits it long doesn't mean they have a good chance of hitting it in trouble. And if someone has a 70% chance of hitting it trouble, hitting it 40 yards shorter won't lead to an 80% improvement in accuracy. You're just making stuff up to fit your opinion.

Not to mention that if someone hitting driver has a 70% chance of hitting it into trouble, there's a good chance he can hit it into trouble with this 5 iron, too. Still better off with the shorter club with more loft.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

No But for real golf from real tees it is

What other kind of golf is there?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Non competitive, recreational golf. And tournaments that use a handicap

What's the difference? The goal is to card the lowest score.

[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/78188/is-distance-really-that-important-for-amateurs/600_100#post_1090864"] What other kind of golf is there?

Non competitive, recreational golf. And tournaments that use a handicap[/quote] Ah, now I understand. Distance still matters, and not everyone is a scratch golfer. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No But for real golf from real tees it is

I don't understand what this means? I also don't understand your response to Lihu.

[quote name="nick1998bunker" url="/t/78188/is-distance-really-that-important-for-amateurs/660#post_1090854"]No But for real golf from real tees it is

I don't understand what this means? I also don't understand your response to Lihu.[/quote] He was talking about playing from the "real" tees, meaning something like 6800+ yards, and no handicap adjustment to your score.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

He was talking about playing from the "real" tees, meaning something like 6800+ yards, and no handicap adjustment to your score.

How does that have anything to do with distance being more important?

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/78188/is-distance-really-that-important-for-amateurs/666#post_1090895"] He was talking about playing from the "real" tees, meaning something like 6800+ yards, and no handicap adjustment to your score.[/QUOTE] How does that have anything to do with distance being more important?

Well, I for one, think you need the most distance you can get regardless.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Ah, now I understand. Distance still matters, and not everyone is a scratch golfer. ;-)

All I was saying is that distance is only important in those types of golf settings. For recreational golf it's not important to a point as you can always tee it forward. As long as you can hit it 180 from the whites your fine

[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/78188/is-distance-really-that-important-for-amateurs/600_100#post_1090892"] Ah, now I understand. Distance still matters, and not everyone is a scratch golfer. ;-)

All I was saying is that distance is only important in those types of golf settings. For recreational golf it's not important to a point as you can always tee it forward. As long as you can hit it 180 from the whites your fine[/quote] I suppose that depends upon your definition of "important". In the setting you suggest, I would think it's a bare necessity, while for recreational golf it is important. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I suppose that depends upon your definition of "important". In the setting you suggest, I would think it's a bare necessity, while for recreational golf it is important. ;-)

Well what are the benefits, more spin and shorter approaches are all I can think of, and for recreation people generally play tees where they all have the same number club in.

Note: This thread is 3081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!