IGNORED

Adjusting Forged vs. Cast Irons

Note: This thread is 3432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never been a fan of Mizuno in the past, but the JPX line does look nice. I see double digit handicappers all the time with irons I would never think of playing. The game is hard enough as it is. Get a club that will help you. There's no shame in getting forgiving clubs, especially when you beat your playing partner's a$$.

[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/78508/adjusting-forged-vs-cast-irons/0_100#post_1083552"]AP1's or JPX-850's would be great options, both are cast.  The JPX-850 Forged are a bit less forgiving, but as their name states, they are forged.  I have played the JPX-825's and 712 AP1's and liked them both. I would suggest you try narrowing down your options and then go hit them all to see which you like best.  I wouldn't get too caught up in Maltby ratings as it's only a guide.  I can tell you that I started out with Diablo Edge irons because they were SGI and that's what everyone told me I "needed" as a new golfer and I hated them.  I hated how they looked and felt but bought them because I was told I "needed" SGI irons. Your swing and game will progress regardless of which iron you purchase as long as you take lessons and work on your swing.  Buy something that you like looking down at and you feel comfortable holding and don't worry as much about what handicap they are targeted at (though I'd avoid blades for now). [/quote] Thank you for the insight. The irons I currently use are a starter set from Sports Authority that I got for $200. I wonder where these would rate on the Maltby Playability Factor.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for the insight.

The irons I currently use are a starter set from Sports Authority that I got for $200.

I wonder where these would rate on the Maltby Playability Factor.

My very first set were from Sports Authority and looked similar to yours.  From the looks of them I'd guess they'd rate out as a GI, they don't look overly wide or appear to have much technology to make them overly forgiving.

Joe Paradiso

My very first set were from Sports Authority and looked similar to yours.  From the looks of them I'd guess they'd rate out as a GI, they don't look overly wide or appear to have much technology to make them overly forgiving.

Haha, that's good.  I guess that'd mean that new irons would make the game easier for me (and hopefully allow me to shoot lower scores)!. :)

Christian

Haha, that's good.  I guess that'd mean that new irons would make the game easier for me (and hopefully allow me to shoot lower scores)!. :)

If you haven't already take a look at the G30's. I think they look nice at address and have all the help you can get. I think ping was the 1st company to produce cavity back irons. I had g15's that I loved I just got rid of then this year once my ball striking got to the point where I thought I could hit something a little smaller with less offset.

If you haven't already take a look at the G30's. I think they look nice at address and have all the help you can get. I think ping was the 1st company to produce cavity back irons. I had g15's that I loved I just got rid of then this year once my ball striking got to the point where I thought I could hit something a little smaller with less offset.

What did you replace your G15's with and how's it working out having something a little smaller with less offset?

Christian

What did you replace your G15's with and how's it working out having something a little smaller with less offset?

I ended up picking up some callaway x2 hot pro irons. I got them on ebay for a real good price. I absolutely love them. They look a lot more traditional but they still have good forgiveness on off center hits. I hit my pings real high (that's what they are supposed to do) but I like my ball flight a lot more with the callaways. It's a lot lower. I actually gained about 15 yards per iron and they are the exact same loft as the pings. I think I was ballooning the pings a bit probably getting to much spin and launch. I am not very good with my 4 &5 iron in this set. I actually took the 4 out of the bag and replaced it with a hybrid.

I ended up picking up some callaway x2 hot pro irons. I got them on ebay for a real good price. I absolutely love them. They look a lot more traditional but they still have good forgiveness on off center hits. I hit my pings real high (that's what they are supposed to do) but I like my ball flight a lot more with the callaways. It's a lot lower. I actually gained about 15 yards per iron and they are the exact same loft as the pings. I think I was ballooning the pings a bit probably getting to much spin and launch. I am not very good with my 4 &5 iron in this set. I actually took the 4 out of the bag and replaced it with a hybrid.

I often wondered about buying irons on the internet.  Can those still be fitted regardless if they are cast or forged?

Christian

I often wondered about buying irons on the internet.  Can those still be fitted regardless if they are cast or forged?

I would assume so. I never got them fit. I've been making swing changes for the last 2 years or so. I never saw a point to get fit until I had my swing fixed. I was coming way over the top. So what would have fit me then probably won't fit me now. Im working on swinging from the inside. I will have then looked at when I get to a certain point but having a repeatable swing is my only concern at this time. I can pick up any club and play shitty (which a where my game is currently). ;)

PING irons can be adjusted either three or four degrees off of standard if you send them to PING for very cheap plus shipping. I've heard they do it for free though if you bring them in without shopping then there, but that may be untrue. As for shaft length and model/stiffness, that can be changed on any iron so long as you are not adverse to the possibility of reshafting the club's.

PING irons can be adjusted either three or four degrees off of standard if you send them to PING for very cheap plus shipping. I've heard they do it for free though if you bring them in without shopping then there, but that may be untrue.

As for shaft length and model/stiffness, that can be changed on any iron so long as you are not adverse to the possibility of reshafting the club's.

Yeah I feel you have to be knowledgeable in what kind of adjustments you'd need for the clubs so I think an inperson would probably be best for those of us who don't have much knowledge in this subject.  Haha.

Christian

PING irons can be adjusted either three or four degrees off of standard if you send them to PING for very cheap plus shipping. I've heard they do it for free though if you bring them in without shopping then there, but that may be untrue.

As for shaft length and model/stiffness, that can be changed on any iron so long as you are not adverse to the possibility of reshafting the club's.

Correct, there no charge for the adjustment, you just pay for shipping.

http://www.ping.com/about/clubrepair.aspx

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I would assume so. I never got them fit. I've been making swing changes for the last 2 years or so. I never saw a point to get fit until I had my swing fixed. I was coming way over the top. So what would have fit me then probably won't fit me now. Im working on swinging from the inside. I will have then looked at when I get to a certain point but having a repeatable swing is my only concern at this time. I can pick up any club and play shitty (which a where my game is currently). ;)

A 16HC telling a 31HC that he's plays, "shitty," is if nothing else, inspiring - haha.

Christian

Correct, there no charge for the adjustment, you just pay for shipping.

http://www.ping.com/about/clubrepair.aspx

Is that just with Ping?

Christian

A 16HC telling a 31HC that he's plays, "shitty," is if nothing else, inspiring - haha.

Well it gets more and more frustrating the better you get. If your not already signed up for evolvr I suggest you do that. It will he the best $ you ever spend on golf. I've learned more in the 2 months I've been doing it then I have in the last few years trying to figure shit out on my own.

Oh no!!!!!

Here we go again.

"Working the ball" (vomit) has NOTHING to do with the clubs you use.

Where do people get this nonsense from? Seriously

Really ..... hey I thought I was special.

I have 7 different sets of irons in my closet right now ranging from Hogan Apex forged to TaylorMade CBG R7 Max irons which I believe to be the most forgiving super GI irons ever made.

I am perfectly capable of working the ball with all 7 different sets of my irons .......... I can shank, hook, slice or top any and all of those clubs.

I'm as cheap as they come, but I'd pay the extra to get fitted and buy them from a brick and mortar shop. I wouldn't want to run the risk of getting fake clubs. Don't buy them from some kid that was hired off the street to sell clubs either. Find a place that will fit you professionally. Maybe your local golf pro shop. You'll have them quite a while (unless you're a club ho), so the extra spread out is only pennies more per use. I'm a club building ho. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Well it gets more and more frustrating the better you get. If your not already signed up for evolvr I suggest you do that. It will he the best $ you ever spend on golf. I've learned more in the 2 months I've been doing it then I have in the last few years trying to figure shit out on my own.

Yah, I have an Evolvr account and it's good. I wasn't really able to play, much less practice or submit videos, because of work from pretty much Aug.-Nov. so I haven't really been able to take advantage of it. Now that it's cold and the winter weather is here, outdoor practice will probably not happen as often as I should for the improvements I'd like to see by next season.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!