IGNORED

RFKFREAK's Journal About Golf Past, Present, and Future

RFKFREAK

2 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Bunkers.... I'd almost rather play from a sand bunker than from the rough. I hit 4 of them on the front 9 and still ended up with a 45. I'll tell you though, the technique with opening the club face always had me blading the shots, so I decided to simplify the approach. I bought a 64 degree wedge for the added loft. You don't need it. You can use your 60 degree lob wedge. I can even get out of a fairly steep greenside bunker with this method which could border on a shallow pot bunker. The key is hitting 1" behind the ball and making an aggressive follow through. How far the ball goes depends upon the length of your backswing. You don't have to kill the ball. It even works with long greenside bunker shots. So here it is: the no frills bunker shot. Stop blading them.

I may start doing this when the sand is wet or hard because that really was the toughest part in getting out of the bunkers yesterday.  I rarely blade it getting it out because I am hitting behind it so that's not really an issue for me.  For the moment, though, I'd much rather play from the rough.

Also if you're not playing for money, and just playing a friendly round, go ahead and take practice swings in the bunker and hit the sand near the ball. Screw entering the handicap - play a practice round. Do you play in tournaments? No. Practice on the course. It's okay to do that. Just tell the person you're playing with that you're doing that, and it's fine as long as you're not holding up play.

I know you're a big proponent of this but I'm not, tbh.  Part of the fun for me is playing by the Rules of Golf and since I'm not a member of a club and pay each time I play, I like to keep score to see how I'm doing relative to other times.  I've only stopped keeping score or fiddled around once and that was a day that I was playing 9 after work with @colin007 earlier this year and everything was going wrong so I was like, screw it.

Drives: I'm not hitting my driver that well at the moment either, and when I do hit it straight, it's not going that far - about 215 yds tops. If you're averaging 200 - 220 yds with your driver, I'd move up a set of tees. 6300 yds is too long for you. You should be playing from 5600 - 5800. You'll have more fun, too. Don't think it won't be challenging. I'll be you'll still be challenged to break 100.

Well, I was averaging that because 37.5% of my drives would go 100-199 yards because they were mishits, I don't think it's an accurate reflection of my driving ability, it's just some days are better than others.  Yesterday was an average day as most of my drives went roughly 235-255 yards which is appropriate for the tees I played, IMO (6300 yards).

Putting: I rarely get around the course with under 36 putts.

I can and have.  When I'm playing a lot of chip shots, I feel I should be 1 putting more and getting my putting in the low 30's.

We're not professionals or top amateurs and we'll never be in that realm. We want to have fun playing the game. 

We're not, but I'm a big believer in my abilities so whereas I may never get there, that doesn't mean that I don't feel like I won't get to scratch some day.

My home course just painted all the red tees green (5600 yds), and changed the score cards to accommodate a green/white course as well - the hard holes are the green holes, and the easy holes are the white holes - (5800 yds). Red has a stigma of "the ladies tees", but since they painted them green, I've seen guys using them. However, I wish they'd gone with gold because they'd be easier to find.

Good on your course for trying to change things up to make it easier for people's ego to play appropriate tees.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I don't see any reason for you to move up a set, when you make decent contact your drive goes 240ish and I think that's good for where you play. 

How was that course? I've never heard of it.

Colin P.

I have or had days last year where I was driving the ball 240 yds avg. Then others where I was driving 180 due to mishits. So I stayed at 5600 and called the few good days outliers. Game Golf has me at 212 average with a bunch a lot longer and a lot shorter. So that's what I go by. Plus I'm over 55 which puts me in the "senior" category anyway - pbbbt. 

But seriously, that bunker method works in fluffy bunkers, too. Most of our sand up here is kind of heavy anyway. I just want to get out in one shot. It's just like a pitch shot except you're hitting it fat on purpose. Since I went to it I've never had multiple hits out of a bunker. Do you have a practice bunker at your driving range? If not, use one on your course for practice if you don't have anyone behind you - it wouldn't be like you have a choice here. My pro said it's good to do this - he did when he was an amateur and still did when he played practice rounds on the tour. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

9 hours ago, colin007 said:

Yeah I don't see any reason for you to move up a set, when you make decent contact your drive goes 240ish and I think that's good for where you play. 

How was that course? I've never heard of it.

Yeah, I think 230+ is good enough for the White/Middle tees.

It's about an hour and fifteen south in Pleasant Valley.  My friend from Westchester and I are planning on getting together and playing there once a month.  You're welcome to join.

6 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

I have or had days last year where I was driving the ball 240 yds avg. Then others where I was driving 180 due to mishits. So I stayed at 5600 and called the few good days outliers. Game Golf has me at 212 average with a bunch a lot longer and a lot shorter. So that's what I go by. Plus I'm over 55 which puts me in the "senior" category anyway - pbbbt. 

I see my mishits as outliers.  GG has me at 247 with my driver so I feel I'm good.

6 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

But seriously, that bunker method works in fluffy bunkers, too. Most of our sand up here is kind of heavy anyway. I just want to get out in one shot. It's just like a pitch shot except you're hitting it fat on purpose. Since I went to it I've never had multiple hits out of a bunker. Do you have a practice bunker at your driving range? If not, use one on your course for practice if you don't have anyone behind you - it wouldn't be like you have a choice here. My pro said it's good to do this - he did when he was an amateur and still did when he played practice rounds on the tour. 

I practice bunkers sparingly.  With so much to work on, I don't prioritize it because normally, at most, I only have one bunker shot around and it's not a regular occurrence for me to not get it out.  Yesterday I think it was primarily due to the conditions but as I said, when I encounter those conditions again, this will be good to keep in mind, thanks!

It was a cold and windy out there today:

107 on Par 72 (35 over)
59 on Par 36 on Front (23 over) 
48 on Par 36 on Front (12 over)

68.1/130 
2/14 FIR (14%) 
1/18 GIR (6%)

241.40 Avg Drive  
7 Penalty Strokes
0 Bunker Shots 
33 Putts (1.8/hole)

6 - One putt
9 - Two putts
3 - Three putts

0 Birdies 
2 Pars 
9 Bogeys 
1 Double Bogeys 
6 More than Double Bogey.

2016-05-15.jpg

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/898771 (GG has my front 9 as holes 19-27 and back 9 as holes 10-18)

7 penalty strokes is just ugh with 4 coming off the tee.  One of them I don't feel that bad about (hole #7) because I didn't see it come off the tee so had to re-tee and couldn't find it so played my provisional.  The one on 9 pained me.  I have this super hook draw with my driver and on 9, I shouldn't hit driver and didn't even think of hitting my hybrid.  So, what happens on this dog left, I hit my 5W and it ends up going through the fairway and right into the water.  I was very frustrated.  

Overall, I played poorly.  Two crazy mishits today also; the first on the par 5 third hole.  After I hooked my tee shot and couldn't find my ball, I had to play the provisional.  Laying three, I didn't feel comfortable hitting my 3W to clear the water and decided to lay up with my PW just short of the water.  Not sure what happened but the ball went crazy right so had to waste a stroke getting it back on the fairway and then promptly hit the next shot into the water.  The second, after I dropped on the aforementioned 9th hole, I took a 9 iron and once again the ball just went in a crazy right direction.  This time, though, it went OOB and cost me a penalty stroke.  So, I had two holes today where I had more than one penalty strokes.  Bad bad bad.

The one positive was the sub 50 on the back and the string of 6 bogeys to start the back.  Some bad decisions and bad course management in less than ideal conditions really made this a bad round for me. 

Christian

• 2 months later...

So, I haven't been around here lately but I had a lot of life changes.  Started a new job, the young lady who I used to call my gf and I ended our relationship amicably, and I had to find a new place to live and move my stuff.  Because life got in the way, I didn't end up getting the irons as I had to use my nest-egg for life and I'm not favorable to the idea of going into debt for the irons.  I'll see how I feel later this year if that mindset has changed.  In and around that same time period, I was playing a round of golf with @colin007 when, on the first tee, I cracked the head on my driver.  Colin was nice enough to lend me one of his old drivers but it wasn't a good fit.  As a result, all these things combined have led me to not play much golf lately.

However, in anticipation of tomorrow's outing with @onthehunt526, @krupa, and the aforementioned Colin, I went out yesterday and got a new driver.  So, now that life has settled a bit, I'm hoping to play more.

As a result of not playing, I'm sure my game has taken a step back and whereas I am no longer keeping an official handicap, I would guess I'm shooting off a 30 now.  One thing that has remained consistent has been my going to the gym in the mornings, however, my diet this summer has suffered as a result of not maintaining it strictly which has resulted in my weight pretty much remaining within a 5 pound range for the last seven weeks.  This morning my scale said I weighed 232.4 and my goal was to get my weight down to 225 in July.  With a little over a week to go, I'm hoping to make it.  However, as opposed to last year, this year has been about losing weight and getting stronger and I believe my mindset of going to the gym regularly will remain with me and help me keep going.  The few times I've played this year, I've had to use a shorter iron to hit the same distance I hit last year, so, seeing as how I have the same clubs, it appears I am indeed getting stronger.

Anyway, here's to my game not embarrassing me tomorrow (I'll find other ways to embarrass myself tomorrow).:banana:

Christian

So, the outing went really well.  I only used my new driver times times on Saturday but I went out yesterday and OMG, I luvs my new driver!  According to GameGolf I used driver 13 times and on 6 of them I had drives of 271, 284, 287, 288, 290, and 319 (which is my longest driver ever)!  The course I played doesn't have any steep drops off the tee but the I certainly got some roll because it's been pretty dry lately so I know that helped.  I also know that yesterday was hot and somewhat humid so I'm under the impression it had a positive impact but I had played in conditions like that before and had never seen distances like those off the tee.  I guess there really is something to be said for getting fit for a driver.  That, and all the time I'm spending at the gym is paying off.  

Unfortunately, all that said, I still suck at golf.  Even with those drives and having short irons and wedges in a fair amount of the time, I couldn't control the direction or distance.  My short game continues to be a weakness, and my putting was pretty bad, too.  Unfortunately, any practice time is mainly going to be devoted to the full swing because it's a glaring weakness as my approach shots demonstrated to me last week.  One thing at a time I suppose but with this driver, I think I may see some improved scoring on days when everything else doesn't suck.

104 on Par 71

70.8/122

3/13 FIR (23%)

1/18 GIR (6%)

6 Penalty Strokes (only 3 with driver; two of the other three are head-scratchers)
37 Putts (2.1/hole)

• 2 - One putt
  • 13 - Two putts
  • 3 - Three putts

0 Birdies
1 Pars
8 Bogeys
3 Double Bogeys
6 More than Double Bogey

2016-07-24 - Scorecard.jpg

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/1067107

Christian

This one hurt.

Granted, I was playing in 85°-90° heat (not sure with the Index) but still this one hurt.  What made it hurt was that I made a 27 foot putt for birdie and made putts of 15, 15, 18, and 21 feet.  The bad side, though, was that I did this on a round where I had 11 penalty strokes and averaged 2.0 putt per hole.  Unreal.

112 on Par 72

68.3/122

3/14 FIR (21%)

2/18 GIR (11%)

11 Penalty Strokes 
36 Putts (2/hole)

• 3 - One putt
  • 12 - Two putts
  • 3 - Three putts

1 Birdies
2 Pars
5 Bogeys
4 Double Bogeys
6 More than Double Bogey

2016-07-28 Scorecard.jpg

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/1076854

Christian

I've decided that my goal for a round is to shoot to a 25 HC.  

And lately I seem to find better and better ways to feel disappointed after a round.

Friday, the goal was to a 97 (it should have been 95 using the USGA database rather than the course scorecard).  I had 4 pars on the front 9 and still managed to shoot 49 in the front.  Par on those 5 holes was 22 and I managed to shoot 35, 13 over par.  Shot a 52 in the back for a total 102.  The most disappointing hole was #6 as after a drive that went left on me, I had 150 out of the rough.  I been hitting a 9I as my 150 club this season and so, I pulled out my 9I and proceeded to sail the ball way over the green for a penalty.  I took out my PW, thinking that it'd go short but preferred to be safe than sorry and plopped it on the green.  Getting a penalty stroke like that had been happening until I had adjusted my distances because of the strength I've gained from working out so to have it happen there sucked.  Anyway, three putted after that because I got aggressive with the putt.

Speaking of putting, I feel like I'm doing a terrible job of gauging distances lately.  I know it's something to practice but since I feel my full swing is a huge flaw, I feel that I need to really focus most, if not all of my practice on that.  

Anyway, here's the breakdown:

Goal: 97
102 on Par 72 
68.4/123 

5/14 FIR (36%) 
4/18 GIR (22%)
4 Penalty Strokes 
33 Putts (1.8/hole)

6 - One putt
9 - Two putts
3 - Three putts

0 Birdies
5 Pars
4 Bogeys
3 Double Bogeys
6 More than Double Bogey

2016-07-29.jpg

Game golf had it as two 9's:

Front 9
Back 9 

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

So, played a birthday round yesterday and wanted to shoot under 100 and I was very happy with the front 9 and felt confident about going real low (for me) - even had thoughts about shooting sub 95.  But, two blow up holes on the back 9 did me in.  I tried to implement some of the swing changes and in the beginning I felt I did a good job but as the round went on, I think I reverted back somewhat.  I think I really only focused on that on my tee shots, though, which led to me slowing my swing down and not hitting as far but hitting more fairways than I think I ever have.  Unfortunately, it didn't translate to many GIR's even though it was a fairly short course.  Short game and putting didn't rescue me, though, and I had a few holes that I really approached it in too timid of a manner which led hurt;  I need to really do fix that.

Anyway, here's a FO from the 18th hole:

99 on Par 71 
69.9/120 

7/14 FIR (50%) 
2/18 GIR (11%)
3 Penalty Strokes 
36 Putts (2.0/hole)

1 - One putt
16 - Two putts
1 - Three putts

0 Birdies
2 Pars
11 Bogeys
3 Double Bogeys
2 More than Double Bogey

2016-08-12 Scorecard.jpg

Game Golf

• Upvote 1

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

20160824_045602[1].jpg

So, it took a little longer than I would have liked, and it took since the beginning of June to drop the last 10 pounds, and the last three weeks to drop the last 5 pounds, but by fully committing myself the last week and change, I finally got to the 225 mark!

To say I'm happy is an understatement.

Last year when I dropped the weight, I didn't really have the right mindset to keep it off and allowed myself to balloon back up because I over-indulged.  This time around, though, and especially this summer, I've found a way to incorporate things I love like iced cream into my macros.  Most of the time, though, I'm incorporating frozen yogurt which is almost as good.

I will admit, there were numerous times in the last three months that I've been disheartened by getting so close to my weight goal and seeing it fluctuate and not reaching it.  And, to be honest, I felt I was going to reach it this week, but when I woke up this morning, I didn't think I'd reach it today, so that was a happy surprise.  What kept me motivated was seeing my body fat percentage decrease and my lean body mass increase so, whereas I wasn't losing weight at the rate I would have liked, the more important number, BF%, was decreasing. 

In other news, I start grad school on Monday.  I've been out of school for quite a few years so I'm a bit apprehensive about it but, overall, I think for where I want to go and what I want for the rest of my career, it's a good decision.  It'll be a challenging balancing at because I'm going to school full time and working 40 hours a week, but thankfully, from now until the end of the year, I expect work to be pretty slow.  Depending how I feel this semester goes, I may go part time in the Spring as that's when I put in a lot of hours.  Thankfully, though, my boss said he'll work with me on my schedule. 

So lots of major changes the past few months and moving forward between starting school, working out, keeping my nutrition in order, and no longer being in a relationship.  I'm hoping to be able to get on the golf course once a week and hang out with friends on a Friday or Saturday night but if I have to make some sacrifices, so be it. 

Anyway, I'm continuing my fitness journey.  A couple week ago I weighed 230 pounds with my BF at 23.23%.  So, next week I plan on getting it checked again and adjust my macros and caloric intake accordingly.  I'm not sure if I'll be providing regular fitness updates but I'll still use this thread for my own meanderings. :-$

• Like 1

Christian

6 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

If that's you in the profile picture that is a big difference judging by the swing video above.

I need to follow your lead. Good job.

Yup, that's me.  I would change the profile pic but I really like my reaction in it, haha.

Here's a pic I took last week:

IMG_20160818_071619[1].jpg

Well, if I can be of help. let me know.

And thanks!

Christian

• 2 months later...

Hey, all.

Life's been hectic between work and school and I've played very little golf lately.

Hoping to be around a bit more, though!

Christian

Broseph! What a transformation!

Just saw a picture of you in post #64! You are a physically different person now eh!

Well done on the positive change.

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

40 minutes ago, mailman said:

Just saw a picture of you in post #64! You are a physically different person now eh!

Regards

Mailman

I second that!

- Shane

1 hour ago, mailman said:

Regards

Mailman

26 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I second that!

Thanks, fellas!  :)

I'm probably twenty pounds leaner now than in the pic in post #320.  At 16% BF or thereabouts at the moment and hoping to get to around 10% in December!

Christian