IGNORED

What is the most important aspect of golf that you think can improve your score?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/78598/what-is-the-most-important-aspect-of-golf-that-you-think-can-improve-your-score/54#post_1084592"]   I don't really know what advantage it is to start off right and end up more right? Do you have an in to out swing with the face more open? It seems like if you turn the face in a bit you can turn it into a push-draw pretty readily? [/QUOTE] Big shout out to @Lihu . First check the date on this post.  12/12/14 Then about three weeks ago, I sez, hey maybe a stronger grip ?     [U]It has helped.[/U] No, nothing wrong here, spudhead !!! For all of you who say "check the fundamentals", thank you and just keep repeating it, eventually maybe it will sink in for me.  edit  4:16 by brian

Cool. Keep up the good work!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me it is striving for a swing I can repeat under pressure, I have always been able to hit my driver a long way, but it could go any where. Long battle trying to swing the club not hit the ball. Irons longer than 8 have always been bad, just switched to hybrids and what a difference. But will it last. Have been taking lessons for last two years weekly. Finally I am able to self repair when the weels fall of. Short game has improved drastically until recently from 100 yards and in it could take me 5 strokes, now normaly 3.

For me it is striving for a swing I can repeat under pressure, I have always been able to hit my driver a long way, but it could go any where. Long battle trying to swing the club not hit the ball. Irons longer than 8 have always been bad, just switched to hybrids and what a difference. But will it last. Have been taking lessons for last two years weekly. Finally I am able to self repair when the weels fall of. Short game has improved drastically until recently from 100 yards and in it could take me 5 strokes, now normaly 3.

There are a lot of posts on this, so I don't want top sound like a broken record, but your swing is repeatable. Just about everyone beyond rank beginners has a repeatable swing. I'm on mobile, or else I'd link the specific thread on it.

• Administrator

So many people believe it, we made it an entire thread:

Check it out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Personally for me I think it is chipping and putting. I can almost always get the ball around the green and give myself a chance for par but the last round I played I shot an 89, a 43 on the back nine and I was around the green and gave myself a chance for par on all nine holes but ended up getting bogies on 7 of the nine holes while only paring two.

Personally for me I think it is chipping and putting. I can almost always get the ball around the green and give myself a chance for par but the last round I played I shot an 89, a 43 on the back nine and I was around the green and gave myself a chance for par on all nine holes but ended up getting bogies on 7 of the nine holes while only paring two.

That is the trouble with short game. Don't sell yourself short, try to get on the green as many times as possible.

Even the average short game for the best players in the world is 60%.

Given a person can improve their short game and putting the quickest, but that just means they have much more time to work on their long game. Short game and putting only needs a small bit of time to keep sharp. The long game is were a lot more strokes can be made up and a golfer can have sustained success.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It seems to be a little too general because the perception of "bad contact" varies with handicap. Interesting, though.

Yes, how to characterize a bad contact will surely vary from person to person, but for me, the 1.4 additional strokes fit my golf scores quite accurately.  If it did not, I would have calculated my own figure so that I could look at the number of bad contacts I counted and hypothesized how much lower my score would have been if I could have cut my bad contacts in half, which was one recommendation on how to make use of this figure of merit.  Bottom line--a person can remove the general nature of the 1.4 strokes per bad contact by using personal scores and what he/she considers a bad contact and then calculating his own figure to help estimate potential improvements from improving contact

What the OP talks about is what every hacker goes through to become a person that can actually play golf, it's like the first step- learn to hit it long, because without that you have no chance, you shouldn't even be out there, so I agree length is probably the most important step for beginners.

But then there's the struggles of most bogey golfers- the short game and putting, I play with a guy who's good, shoots in the low 80's, very good with a 3w off the deck, something I can't even do, so he's always in position to par and lots of GIR, but he rarely makes them because he misses tons of putts, so for players like him it's all about the flat stick, he would be well served spending every minute he does on the range over at the practice green.

• 1 month later...
For me it is getting a good consistent swing where I can make good contact with the ball. Once i can hit it in the sweet spot then I can work on other aspects.

I intend to get some professional help this year.

I hope you're still referring to your golf game :bugout:

Bad decisions:

No, I am not going to carry that water, lay up.

Crap! I over clubbed that approach shot thinking somehow the ball was going to check on the green, why not give it a chance to roll on?

Just pitch it into the part of the fairway with a view of the hole from behind those trees because that direct opening is sort of like when an ice hockey goalie flashes an open five hole at a shooter to trick him into going for it, then shuts it down the second the shooter commits.

Don't use that 60 degree wedge except in the most extreme circumstances like pitching onto a really elevated green until you don't blade it one time out of four under pressure because the payoff isn't there. In fact, leave that out of the bag.

And that's just from yesterday.

I think I might have reached some kind of a breakthrough though, when it is starting to seem like bad decisions are costing me more strokes than fat shots, skulls, and banana slices.

Keep the ball in play. If the ball is in play I'm going up and down for pars not bogeys.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!