IGNORED

How to Tackle the 40-60 Yard Approach Shot

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I prefer to keep the ball as low as possible with a fair amount of spin, couple hops and stop from that 40-60 yard range. Of course that has to come from the fairway to get the ball cleanly to apply spin(and a decent premium ball). I like hitting the shot with my 52* gap wedge from the fairway and from the rough I'll usually change up to my 58* and go for a higher softer shot because it's just not going to spin as much.

But it's all "shot dependent" that's required. If it's a super tight pin with no room to take a hop or two before slamming on the brakes I'll hit the 58* from both the rough or fairway in that case.

I do a fair amount of range work from 30, 50, and 75 yards practicing both the low spinner and the high soft shots. I'll alternate at each target first hitting it high, then low, change targets and repeat over and over. For me it helps sharpen my wedge game for those funky distances inside 100 yards.

I don't do this(maybe I should) but one drill my sons instructor will do with him is a type of ladder drill where he will place towels spaced out at ten yards each and have my son work his way up and back down the ladder in 10 yard increments starting at about 20 yards out to about 70 yards.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Reading Erik's comments that it's a mistake to lay up for your "money shot" full wedge approach shot (for me, its always been a full swing 54° from around 85 yds out) - which is how I've structured my entire golf game to date  :-(

So, now it appears it would be in my best interest to rethink my strategy and get better at hitting the 40-60 yard half swing approach shots.    Obviously, there are a lot of options as to how we approach these shots - could hit an easy PW or a more lofted wedge, or even run it up with an 8i.

So then, in simplest, most generic terms (taking out all the myriad of variables ... lets say a perfect flat fairway lie, pin dead center in the green, no bunkers in the way, green is nice and flat) ... what club would you use to approach this shot from 40-60 yds ?

Thx

Lately a 60 degree half to 3/4 swing regular shot or a full flop shot for 40 to 60 yards. If the fairway allows some predictable roll, then I might bump and run with anything from a 52 to a 9i, but that situation is extremely rare for me.

In fact, this entire scenario is rare for me. I'm usually scrambling from behind a bunker, tree or other obstacle. I also hate island greens with a lot of backwards running slopes from where I usually land. Come to think of it, I'm going to have to start more serious LSW type thinking on where to play for my misses a bit better. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So then, in simplest, most generic terms (taking out all the myriad of variables ... lets say a perfect flat fairway lie, pin dead center in the green, no bunkers in the way, green is nice and flat) ... what club would you use to approach this shot from 40-60 yds ?

Thx

OK I would probably use a 9I or PW and try to drop the ball just inches past the fringe and let the ball roll up to the Flag Stick.  If the greens were faster than normal I would use a gap wedge.

Butch

Kind of like how you drive the ball by hitting it with a baseball bat?

Have you ever tried that? Hitting a golf ball with an aluminum bat? Awesomesauce. Anyways, to answer - prolly my 56° sand wedge. Pitch, not chip.

Colin P.

Have you ever tried that? Hitting a golf ball with an aluminum bat? Awesomesauce.

Haha, no. I feel it'd be way too embarrassing if I missed. ;)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Rarely face a shot of that distance. Never on a par 4 unless I totally blew a second shot, maybe once a round. Short par 5's are the only holes this happens for me. At 60 I can choke down to the steel and hit a full lob wedge and it will carry about 65. I had 47 yard shot yesterday and I hit a low 49 degree wedge that rolled about 15 feet. It was well short left me a long putt to save par that I missed. It is a tough shot I don' t practice enough.

Dave :-)

Rarely face a shot of that distance. Never on a par 4 unless I totally blew a second shot, maybe once a round.

Curious, to avoid the 40-60 yd distance (presumably on par 5's unless something goes wrong on a par 4) ... do you layup for a comfortable full wedge distance which would involve a lot longer approach shot; or do you muscle up and hit one of your longest clubs to try to get much closer to the green than that ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Rarely face a shot of that distance. Never on a par 4 unless I totally blew a second shot, maybe once a round.

Curious, to avoid the 40-60 yd distance (presumably on par 5's unless something goes wrong on a par 4) ... do you layup for a comfortable full wedge distance which would involve a lot longer approach shot; or do you muscle up and hit one of your longest clubs to try to get much closer to the green than that ?

This sounds harder.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I like a 3/4 to half swing 60 deg for those distances.

OR

Fluff first shot 10 yards along ground.

Top second shot 30 yards past green.

Finally hit the shot I meant to play first time! :-)

WOW...finally...My long lost twin brother!!!!

We must be twins...we seem to have the same game.  :)

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Rarely face a shot of that distance. Never on a par 4 unless I totally blew a second shot, maybe once a round. Short par 5's are the only holes this happens for me. At 60 I can choke down to the steel and hit a full lob wedge and it will carry about 65. I had 47 yard shot yesterday and I hit a low 49 degree wedge that rolled about 15 feet. It was well short left me a long putt to save par that I missed. It is a tough shot I don' t practice enough.

I'm with you.  I try my best to avoid leaving that kind of yardage.  My thinking is if for some reason I can't reach the green...maybe blew my tee shot and left a yardage in I cant hit...then I want to lay up somewhere between 85 and 100 yards back.  I want a full swing in.  But, when I miss that yardage and end up too close...if the lie is not tight, I will attempt a lob shot (especially if it is uphill) to the pin with my either my gap wedge or lob wedge depending upon the distance..  For a pretty tight lie, I will pinch the gap wedge with an abbreviated swing.  The flatter the line to the flag...I may go with a bump and run 8iron.  For me, I have to "feel" what the type of shot is before I pick the club.

I'm with you.  I try my best to avoid leaving that kind of yardage.  My thinking is if for some reason I can't reach the green...maybe blew my tee shot and left a yardage in I cant hit...then I want to lay up somewhere between 85 and 100 yards back.  I want a full swing in.  But, when I miss that yardage and end up too close...if the lie is not tight, I will attempt a lob shot (especially if it is uphill) to the pin with my either my gap wedge or lob wedge depending upon the distance..  For a pretty tight lie, I will pinch the gap wedge with an abbreviated swing.  The flatter the line to the flag...I may go with a bump and run 8iron.  For me, I have to "feel" what the type of shot is before I pick the club.

Here's the thing @RickK , if I gave you ten shots from 50yds and another ten shots from 100yds, from identical fairway lies, you'd be lying closer on average from the 50yd shot. You're just simply not more accurate from farther away. But this is veering off topic. Back on topic, use a pitch and get it close.

Colin P.

Here's the thing @RickK , if I gave you ten shots from 50yds and another ten shots from 100yds, from identical fairway lies, you'd be lying closer on average from the 50yd shot. You're just simply not more accurate from farther away. But this is veering off topic. Back on topic, use a pitch and get it close.

Hmmmm...maybe but maybe not. I will stick with my comfort zone

Hmmmm...maybe but maybe not. I will stick with my comfort zone

There's not really a maybe here.  It's been proven that you'll be closer to the pin the shorter the distance your shot is.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator

There's not really a maybe here.  It's been proven that you'll be closer to the pin the shorter the distance your shot is.

Yup. And if you have a mental issue or lack the technique to hit the shot from 50 yards… take 15 minutes to learn it. You'll save shots.

@RickK , there are some great charts from our research in Lowest Score Wins : at every level of the game, whether the golfers were aiming toward the flag or the safe spot, they hit it closer and scored lower from closer to the green.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here's the thing @RickK, if I gave you ten shots from 50yds and another ten shots from 100yds, from identical fairway lies, you'd be lying closer on average from the 50yd shot. You're just simply not more accurate from farther away. But this is veering off topic.

Back on topic, use a pitch and get it close.

Hmmmm...maybe but maybe not. I will stick with my comfort.

Yup. And if you have a mental issue or lack the technique to hit the shot from 50 yards… take 15 minutes to learn it. You'll save shots.

@RickK

, there are some great charts from our research in Lowest Score Wins: at every level of the game, whether the golfers were aiming toward the flag or the safe spot, they hit it closer and scored lower from closer to the green.

Oh Man...how could I have missed it...no wonder...you are trying to SELL me something.

So, you are trying to SELL me something.

If I had the time to devote to such a shot, I would. Unfortunately, I don't. Maybe if I did, I could get to single digit. But, I was single digit before and never relied on that shot. If you are a good putter, you put more faith in your putter than you do those touch pitch shots. Also, I know a lot about research. I also understand the "curve" associated with research. There are those on either end of the curve. Nevermind...no need to debate this more. I'll stick with what works best for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by RickK

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

@RickK

, there are some great charts from our research in Lowest Score Wins: at every level of the game, whether the golfers were aiming toward the flag or the safe spot, they hit it closer and scored lower from closer to the green.

So, you are trying to SELL me something.

If I had the time to devote to such a shot, I would. Unfortunately, I don't. Maybe if I did, I could get to single digit. But, I was single digit before and never relied on that shot. If you are a good putter, you put more faith in your putter than you do those touch pitch shots. Also, I know a lot about research. I also understand the "curve" associated with research. There are those on either end of the curve. Nevermind...no need to debate this more. I'll stick with what works best for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, he's trying to SELL you a better game. ;-)

He doesn't even make all that much money off the proceeds of the book.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Nevermind...no need to debate this more. I'll stick with what works best for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Always good to meet fellow golfers with open minds. Geez man. You are probably better from 50 yards RIGHT NOW than 100 without ANY practice at all. You are also going to make more putts and three putt fewer times from closer to the green.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Ok, ok...I am not going to do a quote/reply.  That piece of this thread is getting longer and longer.

So, for those of you intent on "beating me up" on my statement about laying up to a yardage I like...let me see if I have this correct.

Let's say I am on a  par 5 and I am 275 out before my 2nd shot.  So, you are saying I should pull out the 3 wood and bomb it as far as I can, leaving myself less than a full club in cause at 69 years old I cannot hit 3 wood 275...do I have that correct?

In my case, I am going to hit something that leaves me say 85 to 100 yards out.  But, y'all think I would be better to just bang it as far as I can on every shot where I cannot reach the green...again...is that correct?

Note: This thread is 3401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!