IGNORED

My Swing (GolfLug)

GolfLug

So, an extreme mixed bag at the PH tourney...

The PH courses are absolutely gorgeous. Also not very difficult courses if you can deal with the fast turtleback raised greens - only real defense.

Good news, I finished in the money! Two stellar rounds of 77 and 79 at #9 and #7 on day 2 and day 3.

Bad news: Broke my driver shaft clean on the 2nd hole on the last day at PH #4 and hobbled along using my buddy's driver for the rest of the round for an 87 and finished off the top spot. I loved the driver.

Driver was good to functional. Irons  and wedge play was stellar after day 1. Oddly irons go at least a club longer down in PH compared to home. Took a little adjusting to get distance dialed in on day one but paid by ballooning to an 86. Could hold nothing on concrete hard turtle back Donald Ross greens on #8. But I was not alone in that so didn't hurt me that bad.

All in all not bad. Now on to some swing work to go shallow to steep .

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good news, I finished in the money! Two stellar rounds of 77 and 79 at #9 and #7 on day 2 and day 3.

Bad news: Broke my driver shaft clean on the 2nd hole on the last day at PH #4 and hobbled along using my buddy's driver for the rest of the round for an 87 and finished off the top spot. I loved the driver.

Nice play, V! Too bad about your driver. I hope your buddy wasn't using that driver that day, or you may have breached rule 4-3a.

Oddly irons go at least a club longer down in PH compared to home.

Firmer fairways and greens leading to more roll, perhaps? Even here in NJ when we get drought conditions, there are times when I have to change my club selection because the fairways are dried out.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Nice play, V! Too bad about your driver. I hope your buddy wasn't using that driver that day, or you may have breached rule 4-3a.

Firmer fairways and greens leading to more roll, perhaps? Even here in NJ when we get drought conditions, there are times when I have to change my club selection because the fairways are dried out.

Thanks!

Yes, interesting you mentioned about the ruling. Both of us used his driver all day. None of the two groups thought anything of it till we finished the round when the pro at the shop brought it to our attention. I was out of money based on score for that round anyway since payouts were for individual rounds.

Nope, she was flying. All carry. Not sure but I felt the air was thinner. I live at sea level, so that might have something to do with it.

Vishal S.

So yesterday, was my first round (managed 7 holes) with a shallow sweep type take-away. Surprising, this is not going to take as much self-convincing as much as I thought it would when I left Erie after a session few weeks ago. I did not hit any hooks and was only 2 over through 7 holes.

I am finally starting to realize that whatever ones' width going back, you WILL be narrower coming down. If you already take away with a narrow wrist hinge or elbow fold right off address (like A-swing type), it limits your shoulder turn and will set you up for an even narrower down swing - which in effect will force you to swing across the line - as it will be at odds with shoulder turn plane  - (a) too steep over the top or (b) too shallow inside out. If you hit across and out enough with face closed to path - which I do frequently - it results in a super duck hook. It is a flat footed hit, which might be ok for some but not me. I think Kenny Perry does this but obviously he has better control of how much he drops the club in the DS.

So in effect, the soft shallower sweeping take away is also helping me turn better. I have a good hold on Keys #1 and #2 so the shaft and club head seem to be more on plane.

@iacas , yes, it definitely is a simpler move. #greatinstruction.

Vishal S.

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly migrating to the plan! Club takeaway is decidedly lower and am actually feeling comfortable doing it. I am finding that the downswing is feeling a lot less handsy.

Signed off for 39 again at Cypress Point yesterday for front 9. Did not have my driver or 2 hybrid with me but fast fairways + warm weather made short work of distances with the 3 hybrid from white tees. Irons striking is really starting to become a strength. Happy to say I have returned to using my 56 deg. Ping Glide with everything 105 yards and inside with occasional 58 degree for a softer pitch.

Missed two par putts from about 6-7 feet and a birdie putt from 5 feet. #workremains.

Vishal S.

Shot a 92 (52-40) at VB National on Friday. No feel, terrible alignment, 3 water balls including a 9 iron. Went home and told wife if I am going to continue hooking so well maybe  I should try it moonlighting. Some good might come out of it.

Anyway, hit reset yesterday. Spent about 5 minutes rehearsing my low takeaway before teeing off. Played 9 with wife and son in tow. Hit ALL fairways (6) and 8 GIRs for a 37 with (three 3-putts). Moonlighting will have to wait.

Vishal S.

• Administrator
So yesterday, was my first round (managed 7 holes) with a shallow sweep type take-away. Surprising, this is not going to take as much self-convincing as much as I thought it would when I left Erie after a session few weeks ago. I did not hit any hooks and was only 2 over through 7 holes.

Very good to hear. It helps by reducing the amount of chaos in your swing. Going as steep to as shallow as you were was too variable.

So in effect, the soft shallower sweeping take away is also helping me turn better. I have a good hold on Keys #1 and #2 so the shaft and club head seem to be more on plane.

@iacas, yes, it definitely is a simpler move. #greatinstruction.

Thanks, yes. Exactly.

Slowly migrating to the plan! Club takeaway is decidedly lower and am actually feeling comfortable doing it. I am finding that the downswing is feeling a lot less handsy.

Signed off for 39 again at Cypress Point yesterday for front 9. Did not have my driver or 2 hybrid with me but fast fairways + warm weather made short work of distances with the 3 hybrid from white tees. Irons striking is really starting to become a strength. Happy to say I have returned to using my 56 deg. Ping Glide with everything 105 yards and inside with occasional 58 degree for a softer pitch.

Missed two par putts from about 6-7 feet and a birdie putt from 5 feet. #workremains.

Very nice. And then…

Shot a 92 (52-40) at VB National on Friday. No feel, terrible alignment, 3 water balls including a 9 iron. Went home and told wife if I am going to continue hooking so well maybe  I should try it moonlighting. Some good might come out of it.

Anyway, hit reset yesterday. Spent about 5 minutes rehearsing my low takeaway before teeing off. Played 9 with wife and son in tow. Hit ALL fairways (6) and 8 GIRs for a 37 with (three 3-putts). Moonlighting will have to wait.

BINGO. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Have been almost literally living at the airport for the last 2 weeks. But have gotten in two good rounds, including a round at a private club here in Suffolk - Cedar Point. Pretty course off the bay.

Encountered a new (well not really new from all time) issue  that had crept in - Aligning right of the target at set up just enough to loose the ball right of the green with short and mid irons. Cleaned up ok once I realized that was going on, but drove me nuts as to why it was happening since the shots were struck ok. I mean, I don't hit too many shots offline with 8 iron and in.

PUTTING: Have also seen marked improvement in putting by simply setting up with eye plumb over the ball. I didn't before. This is something @iacas had pointed out about my set up during our round as it changes aim line. It did not really register too well at that point but watching the pros at Greenbrier set up so close to ball made me think/realize. I had been setting up with the eye to ball to hole (three point plane) at a slant plane (ball too far from feet) and cause me to pull the ball with a yippy (gasp!) stroke. Lagging poorly is tiring enough but missing 3 and 4 footers routinely can eventually drive someone to set the putter on a one way flight to the bottom of a pond.

Anyway, as I mentioned I am a lot more plumb with eye over the ball and only one 3-putt in the last two rounds which is massive for me as that is a good 3 strokes a round. It does remain to be seen if this improvement carries on greens that stimp over10.

Vishal S.

• 2 months later...

So it's been a month (...ish) and haven't seen a course since Phoenix. Been travelling for a bit of pleasure but mostly for work. Want to get back to my swing soon. Wintuh's coming... 

So, the one great things that comes out when you play a ton of golf (like at Newport Cup) is that you get a very closer look, especially root cause of your one glaring miss. Mine is a torrid hook and it has everything to do with my grip. @iacas reminded me a few times to uncup my left wrist at top of BS but I just could not do it till the final day of singles to save my life. Problem was how far right I rotated my left hand RIGHT on the grip - bad habit that has plagued me in times of low confidence as it has a strong comfort feel at set up.

Feel like I am raring to get that cleaned up. Hopefully the rains will clear up soon so that I can get back out there.   

Vishal S.

So it's been a month (...ish) and haven't seen a course since Phoenix. Been travelling for a bit of pleasure but mostly for work. Want to get back to my swing soon. Wintuh's coming... 

Good to know that I'm not to only one "suffering" this misery of not playing. :-P  It stinks!

Totally with y'all. I've played maybe twice since Arizona. I've either been working or the weather has kept me away. Dying to get out and play! 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator

So, the one great things that comes out when you play a ton of golf (like at Newport Cup) is that you get a very closer look, especially root cause of your one glaring miss. Mine is a torrid hook and it has everything to do with my grip. @iacas reminded me a few times to uncup my left wrist at top of BS but I just could not do it till the final day of singles to save my life. Problem was how far right I rotated my left hand RIGHT on the grip - bad habit that has plagued me in times of low confidence as it has a strong comfort feel at set up.

Feel like I am raring to get that cleaned up. Hopefully the rains will clear up soon so that I can get back out there.   

Vishal, to be honest, you really, really just need to re-emphasize what you were doing here in Erie. Your swing is back to the upright and then dropping down and in move rather than the "shallow to shallow" move we had you doing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good to know that I'm not to only one "suffering" this misery of not playing. :-P  It stinks!

Hoping to change that this weekend... No golf misery no good.

Totally with y'all. I've played maybe twice since Arizona. I've either been working or the weather has kept me away. Dying to get out and play! 

Si.. You prolly have a good 2 months of season left.

Vishal, to be honest, you really, really just need to re-emphasize what you were doing here in Erie. Your swing is back to the upright and then dropping down and in move rather than the "shallow to shallow" move we had you doing.

Agreed.. I struggled to find the feel I had done so well playing with through the year since Erie.

Reset. 

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Agreed.. I struggled to find the feel I had done so well playing with through the year since Erie.

Post a video of you doing it as slowly as you think is necessary, and @mvmac and I will critique.

Your holding on to the club to to tight and your left hand grip is probably to strong resulting in a severely shut face going back and to much tension.. Try this practice idea next time you go to the range it really works and is almost required to allow the brain to realize what straight is vs being hook blind or a life time slicer..  OK here it is throw the technical jargon out the window and try to hit some slices and awful hooks in unison one after another. Basically try this with a wood it's easier to. Open your stance a lot and make a big out to in swing and forget where it goes just do it like 7 times, Then close the face and feel like your hitting a line driver hook all while maintain the same grip and swing speed without tension. Results should be awful here it doesn't matter the brain will now be reset and you can go ahead and hit your normal shots realizing now what bad is. I do this all the time it's never really been taught, but it's a miracle cure I hit big slices for a while when i'm snap hooking it then go back to normal and the ball will now go high draw. If your doing the same thing over and over again that's all your brain will know how to do it's called muscle memory and is very real.

Then close the face and feel like your hitting a line driver hook all while maintain the same grip and swing speed without tension. 

Have you read through the entire thread @Mike Boatright

@GolfLug works with @iacas and they've been making some nice progress. @GolfLug has a unique way of addressing the ball due to forearm mobility issues and he couldn't possibly get the face more "closed" than he already has it. This is why you have to be careful to just "pop in" to threads and throw advice around.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@GolfLug works with @iacas and they've been making some nice progress. @GolfLug has a unique way of addressing the ball due to forearm mobility issues and he couldn't possibly get the face more "closed" than he already has it. This is why you have to be careful to just "pop in" to threads and throw advice around.

Such a large thread I just watched his videos. Just my take on what I see I was actually going to delete this and transfer it to another topic I opened figured it would be more relevant and fresh.

Post a video of you doing it as slowly as you think is necessary, and @mvmac and I will critique.

That will be much appreciated!

Thanks @mvmac!

Vishal S.