IGNORED

My Swing (SoundandFury)

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchepp

I recommend working on your backswing in excruciatingly slow motion. Slower than slow. Ideally with a mirror in your house then start to pick up speed. But you need to feel yourself doing it right and the backswing can be done in slow steps to make yourself feel the positions.

Obviously you should listen to @mvmac , but I also like a lot what Michael says here ^^^.

Use the mirror in your living room and make your backswing look like this or something:

Fold the right arm more, don't let the right elbow get trapped behind you, and steepen the club. You should be able to do this this stuff in front of a mirror in slow motion. Obviously it'd be impossible thinking of all that stuff when actually hitting a ball, but with mirror work, you can probably get away with it.

That's just for mirror work though. Nail down some new feels. The Justin Rose pics are just for general reference.

Setup wise, chin down a bit more, same stuff as @mvmac has already said.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundandFury View Post

This video above is me trying to keep it on plane and not get it sucked way inside. As you can see it's not completely working.  The club head is still inside my hands when my arms are parallel to the ground, the club is still very laid off at the top.  All this despite the fact that I feel like my left arm is going straight up and the club head is going back well outside the target line.

Ideas? Feels? Thoughts? Help...

;-)

http://thesandtrap.com/t/79312/my-swing-soundandfury/18#post_1098237

Quote:
It's just the position your right arm gets into on the backswing along with your pivot. Having said that I would address your posture and grip first. Grip looks a little palmy and I think it's effecting the rate you hinge your wrists and fold the right arm. Your right arm stays too straight on the takeaway which prevents the left arm from loading "up" enough and gets the arms too far behind you. Also your upper back looks very stiff with the eyes too far up and it may be causing some pivot issue with the hips on the backswing.

The flexion of the right arm helps the club head and hands ascend.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Obviously you should listen to @mvmac , but I also like a lot what Michael says here.

Use the mirror in your living room and make your backswing look like this or something:

Fold the right arm more, don't let the right elbow get trapped behind you, and steepen the club. You should be able to do this this stuff in front of a mirror in slow motion. Obviously it'd be impossible thinking of all that stuff when actually hitting a ball, but with mirror work, you can probably get away with it.

That's just for mirror work though. Nail down some new feels. The Justin Rose pics are just for general reference.

Setup wise, chin down a bit more, same stuff as @mvmac has already said.

Yup, that's what I'm trying to get to.  Screwing around in my office just now I started trying the "put the club in the catcher's mitt" idea.  Doing it slower and without a ball, but feeling like my right arm stay straight until the club is parallel to the ground seems to let me simply cock my wrists and take the club up to the top without it getting behind me.  Good idea?

feeling like my right arm stay straight until the club is parallel to the ground seems to let me simply cock my wrists and take the club up to the top without it getting behind me.  Good idea?

No! Not a good idea, lol :-D

Good on you for the slow motion stuff, but fold the right (trail arm) right away. This issue is causing a lot of other issues.

Like @mvmac is saying.

Do Justin Rose on the right.

Constantine

Ok, so the problem I have when I fold the right arm early is that it goes back, like I'm starting a lawnmower. Haven't figured out how to make if fold up.

Just fold it but keep it in front of the shirt seam, almost feel like the tricep folds into the side of the rib cage. Do it slowly, seriously at like 20% speed to prove to yourself you can do it.

Mike McLoughlin

Latest iteration.

Your elbow looks the same as your previous swings. You've cocked the wrists up faster, but the arms are still doing basically the same thing, which results in basically the same position at the top of the backswing. You probably need a new feel for the top altogether.

Why don't you film yourself doing that drill @mvmac posted in slow motion?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Your elbow looks the same as your previous swings. You've cocked the wrists up faster, but the arms are still doing basically the same thing, which results in basically the same position at the top of the backswing. You probably need a new feel for the top altogether.

Why don't you film yourself doing that drill @mvmac posted in slow motion?

Yup, I see it.  Can't go back to the range today, but I have been taking what feels like hundreds of practice swings at home, and might, MIGHT be on to something.  I noticed that I was really fully cocking my wrists; rather than hinge up my left wrist kind of bowed.  Worked this into my takeaway, and aimed to have a solid "L" when my arm was parallel.  Video taped it and it seems like the right arms works like Mike describes (and I can feel it folding).  It seems like when I hinge the club straight up by the 9 o'clock position, the right elbow folds without any thought/effort.  Possible that the right arm issue was something of a symptom of not having a proper wrist cock?

Will post another from the range tomorrow.

Yup, I see it.  Can't go back to the range today, but I have been taking what feels like hundreds of practice swings at home, and might, MIGHT be on to something.  I noticed that I was really fully cocking my wrists; rather than hinge up my left wrist kind of bowed.  Worked this into my takeaway, and aimed to have a solid "L" when my arm was parallel.  Video taped it and it seems like the right arms works like Mike describes (and I can feel it folding).  It seems like when I hinge the club straight up by the 9 o'clock position, the right elbow folds without any thought/effort.  Possible that the right arm issue was something of a symptom of not having a proper wrist cock?

Will post another from the range tomorrow.

Agree with what @billchao said. Uploading a video for you now, will send you a PM.

Mike McLoughlin

9.6? Lol.

Curious comment.  What do you mean?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Curious comment.  What do you mean?

Pretty sure he's referencing my hdcp. Which is funny, since I don't remember playing any rounds with the dude...And for the record, it's 10.8 now. I'll make sure to keep it up to date just for you bro.

9.6? Lol.

If you think that's funny, go take a look at my swing thread and you can really get a laugh at my 26+.. Maybe if you were a touring pro playing the masters you could get away with that comment, or at least get to a + handicap first. Until then there is no place for these type of comments!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Out of curiosity, would the glove/towel under the right armpit be a good drill to try?  Giving it a shot now and definitely seems to force me to fold my elbow.

Btw JPK, if you're ever in SoCal and want to play for money, I'll happily spot you 4 strokes.

Out of curiosity, would the glove/towel under the right armpit be a good drill to try?  Giving it a shot now and definitely seems to force me to fold my elbow.

Btw JPK, if you're ever in SoCal and want to play for money, I'll happily spot you 4 strokes.

He'd have to give you 6 strokes , but yeah, I think he was a little bit too insulting. I wrote him a PM about it too.

As we are both in So. Cal. we should catch a round together anyway. I play at Brookside a lot, but am thinking of taking a break from my monthly pass during tournament season. Send a PM to play around together. . .

The towel drill is a good drill but from the looks of it, your wrist is not cocked in the picture Mike posted so the club is ahead of your hands. Not sure if the arm positions are the problem?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!