IGNORED

2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Phil is gonna have a big week.

he has done well here in the past, but i really think that age and his RA are really starting to catch up with him.  its funny that the older he gets, the less i hate him.  his douchery has diminished as he has matured.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read an article that was saying that a successful week for Tiger would be just making the cut. To do that he'd probably have to shoot two sub par rounds, since the winners of this tourney are usually so far under par.

Colin P.

I read an article that was saying that a successful week for Tiger would be just making the cut. To do that he'd probably have to shoot two sub par rounds, since the winners of this tourney are usually so far under par.

I read somewhere that Jack thought this was a good tournament for Tiger. He said sometime when he was struggling he would play a tournament where he knew he could score well to build his confidence.

I read somewhere that Jack thought this was a good tournament for Tiger. He said sometime when he was struggling he would play a tournament where he knew he could score well to build his confidence.

That makes sense.  Just like when they talk about rookie QBs and how it would be a good idea to start them off with lots of short, high percentage passes and stuff like that.

Tiger should have nothing to worry about, by the way.  Last night he played this course under tournament conditions and shot a 61.  And that was even with a 4 putt double bogey on 8, a bogey on 10, and a 3 putt par on 17.  He eagled both par 5's on the back nine on his way to a 29.  He'll be fine.*

*(That may have been me playing as him on my Wii, but still, it should count for something, right?) :-P

Tiger press conference highlights.

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/jan/27/tiger-woods-phoenix-open-press-conference-live/

Quote:

On his tooth being broken in Italy after he surprised girlfriend Lindsey Vonn

"That didn't feel very good. (There are) two different podiums. After every race is completed, they move that up on hill so the photographers can do their deal. Lindsey had finished, I had walked onto the top. I still had the mask on so no one would know who I was, trying to blend in, because there's not a lot of brown dudes at the ski race. That was whole idea why I wore the mask.

"All the camera guys were below me, moving all around trying to get a picture because she's hugging people, saying congratulations. ... The dude with video camera on shoulder kneeling right in front of me stood up and turned and caught me square in the mouth. He chipped that one, cracked the other one. ... Luckily, he hit the one I had a root canal on. That's the one that chipped. But the other one had to be fixed as well because it had cracks all through it.

"Flying home was a joke. I couldn't eat, couldn't drink until he fixed them, put the temporaries on. … Even breathing hurt. ... I had to fly home and get it done first thing in the morning, which was nice."

• • •

On his return to TPC Scottsdale

"It's great to be back. It's been a long time since I've been back. The golf course is in fantastic shape. ... It's springy. The greens aren't overly quick. ... The longer hitters have done extremely well here and the numbers to carry the bunkers are barely out of reach, even for the big boys. You're going to be playing to the side of them instead of over them. ... Everyone is going to be playing from the same spots.

"I had to take a bit of break there for a while. That flu bug got me pretty good for another three weeks. I lost a lot more weight. Finally able to start gaining weight again and started training. ... Each stage, we're ahead of schedule in the gameplan. ... I'm cranking up the speed ... and it's going to be a fun year."

• • •

On his chipping

"I was caught up basically between two techniques. ... We had to basically hit thousands upon thousands upon thousands of chips to get (the old release pattern) out of there. Now, it's better."

• • •

On Robert Allenby

"I don't know much about it. I know he got beat up. ... I saw a photo. He didn't look very good."

• • •

On hole-in-one at TPC Scottsdale's No. 16 in 1997

"I think I broke Fluff's hand (on the high-five). I missed his (Omar's high-five). Then old school, back in the day, raise the roof. And on top of that, smelling and hearing the beer hit behind me."

• • •

On boulder being moved at par-5 13th in 1999

"I thought it was lighter than it was. ... I thought I could move it. In the end it took about five other dudes to do it. ... They moved it the wrong way."

• • •

On going back to No. 16 this year

"I haven't seen it yet. ... They didn't have bleachers like they do now. It was just a hill and people were just partying."

• • •

On his swing changes with Chris Como

"My driving has come around a lot faster (than I expected). I'm a lot longer than I ever thought I could be again. I'm touching numbers that I did 15 years ago."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Tiger press conference highlights.

On his swing changes with Chris Como

"My driving has come around a lot faster (than I expected). I'm a lot longer than I ever thought I could be again. I'm touching numbers that I did 15 years ago."

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I watched the whole thing and he looked very jovial through the press conference. He seemed very optimistic on the state of his game as well, I'm definitely excited to watch him.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

So Colin talks about actually hating Phil, but because I don't smoke the Tiger hopium I'm a hater? Makes sense. I don't hate the man, never have and never will. I want him to succeed for the good of the game, unfortunately I don't believe there's any coming back from what his body has been through. Not much would make me happier than to see Rory, Tiger, and Phil all play well this year and all be in contention on Sunday at Augusta but I think that's a pipe dream.

Definitely looked relaxed. Actually looks younger when watching him practice. He's not limping around...he has more pop in his step....doesn't have that stupid looking goat-tee....and his swing looks as if he's not holding anything back like you could kinda tell last year. Hopefully all systems are go with that part of his game. I hope he can fix his short game because that's where the challenges lie ahead.

Super excited for this tournament. I was thinking about it while I was at the Hope last Saturday, and about how some year I aim to get out to see the Waste Management Phoenix Open. Clearly this year isn't going to be it. Going to wear out the remote on Sunday, like someone else said.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

So Colin talks about actually hating Phil, but because I don't smoke the Tiger hopium I'm a hater? Makes sense. I don't hate the man, never have and never will. I want him to succeed for the good of the game, unfortunately I don't believe there's any coming back from what his body has been through. Not much would make me happier than to see Rory, Tiger, and Phil all play well this year and all be in contention on Sunday at Augusta but I think that's a pipe dream.

Do Yankees fans like the Red Sox? It's kinda like that. Although as I have said in recent years, Phil has grown on me. I don't really hate him all that much, except if he's beating Tiger.

Colin P.

^^All good, I hear ya. Was just using your comment as an example- negative comments about other players are no big deal here but say anything less than optimistic about Tiger's future and wait for the cavalry to hurl tomatoes at you. Like I've said, I hope I'm wrong. I always consider this weekend to be the unofficial start of the golf season so I'm looking forward to it.

Tiger swing

http://instagram.com/p/yXY7cOELPE/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Tiger swing

http://instagram.com/p/yXY7cOELPE/

Can't get over how much his head drops.  Maybe its affected by camera angle or camera shake, but it looks like a good 6 inches or so.

Note: This thread is 3523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!