IGNORED

Choosing a new driver.

Note: This thread is 3391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm in the market for a new driver. I don't want to spend more then $200. I don't want a used club because I want to be fitted for one. Now that the 2015 models are out, I see online that Global golf, Golfsmith and Dick's sporting goods have some good deals on last years (2014) models.

Some of the ones I like in my price range are the Cobra Bio Cell, Callaway X Hot N14 and the Taylormade Jet speed or RBZ stage 2. Most of these have some kind of adjustability on them. I don't really care if it's adjustable or not. I just want a driver that fits my swing good. The way I see it. Once it's dialed into my swing, I'd never re adjust it anyways. I might be wrong though.

Dick's sporting goods is the closest place I have to go to get fitted. The problem is. Although I can find the 2014 models online, most the stores don't have them in stock.

I'm 53, and just started playing golf last year. I'm hooked on it now. I'm playing with an old set of king snake clubs that date back to the 90's. I'm hoping to up date all my clubs this year. I'm hoping to only have to do this once in my life. I'm not one that wants to up date my clubs every year or two.

My thing is. I have another set of old Macgregor tourney's with blade style irons and the old wooden woods. I think these date back to the 80's, and they're still in good playable shape. I'm sure they don't compare to the high tech clubs we have today. But these high tech clubs have a lot of gadgets and parts that look like they can fail or break over time. Do you think any of this new stuff would still be playable in 20,30 or 40 years from now?

Check out Tour Edge... you can get a Hot Launch Driver for $199... and that is this year's model... You can get an XCG6 Driver for $99... Tour Edge also has a limited lifetime warranty so if your head flies of your Driver shaft... they will give you a new one or fix it

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm in the market for a new driver. I don't want to spend more then $200. I don't want a used club because I want to be fitted for one. Now that the 2015 models are out, I see online that Global golf, Golfsmith and Dick's sporting goods have some good deals on last years (2014) models.

Some of the ones I like in my price range are the Cobra Bio Cell, Callaway X Hot N14 and the Taylormade Jet speed or RBZ stage 2. Most of these have some kind of adjustability on them. I don't really care if it's adjustable or not. I just want a driver that fits my swing good. The way I see it. Once it's dialed into my swing, I'd never re adjust it anyways. I might be wrong though.

Dick's sporting goods is the closest place I have to go to get fitted. The problem is. Although I can find the 2014 models online, most the stores don't have them in stock.

I'm 53, and just started playing golf last year. I'm hooked on it now. I'm playing with an old set of king snake clubs that date back to the 90's. I'm hoping to up date all my clubs this year. I'm hoping to only have to do this once in my life. I'm not one that wants to up date my clubs every year or two.

My thing is. I have another set of old Macgregor tourney's with blade style irons and the old wooden woods. I think these date back to the 80's, and they're still in good playable shape. I'm sure they don't compare to the high tech clubs we have today. But these high tech clubs have a lot of gadgets and parts that look like they can fail or break over time. Do you think any of this new stuff would still be playable in 20,30 or 40 years from now?

Despite the name, Callaway Preowned can get you a brand new 2014 Big Bertha driver for between $170 and 220 depending on whether you catch a 20% off sale.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

The "like new" Callaway pre-owned 2014 Big Bertha might be the way to go. They might even be in the condition that mine is in. You know - not beat on the driving range. Someone may have put carnauba wax on the head, too, and made it all shiny like I did with mine so that water beads up on it. It protects the head and at high speeds you know could add a mph to your SS by reducing air friction.

I have the 10.5 degree loft set at +2 degrees. I probably should have gotten the 13.5 degree loft in retrospect. Unless you're getting 250 yds or more carry distance don't be afraid of loft.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The "like new" Callaway pre-owned 2014 Big Bertha might be the way to go. They might even be in the condition that mine is in. You know - not beat on the driving range. Someone may have put carnauba wax on the head, too, and made it all shiny like I did with mine so that water beads up on it. It protects the head and at high speeds you know could add a mph to your SS by reducing air friction.

I have the 10.5 degree loft set at +2 degrees. I probably should have gotten the 13.5 degree loft in retrospect. Unless you're getting 250 yds or more carry distance don't be afraid of loft.

I got my current set from Callaway Preowned in like new condition and everything was still in the original factory shrinkwrap. The 3 wood had a ding in it and they replaced it with a mint one.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I'd go hit as many as you can and read reviews. For me drivers are as much about sound as anything. Finding the right shaft took a while too. Of all the drivers I've had my fave is still the GEEK FS3. Sounds good looks good and no adjustments just a good head.

Dave :-)

If I had to rank my criteria for choosing a new driver it would be,

1) Given me optimal launch conditions that I want

2) Feel, mostly sound and golf shaft

3) Look, I like more classic lines, nothing too extreme.

4) Price, usually not a problem.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Overall shaft type, mainly determined by clubhead speed.

Clubhead loft and internal design characteristics.

Shaft kickpoint for tweaking launch. (He emphasized that kickpoint and bend point adjustment were for fine-tuning, and had less influence on ball flight than many average golfers think).

And, you can use the launch monitor to help you select your ideal shaft + head combo which has:

Originally Posted by saevel25

... 1) Given me optimal launch conditions that I want ...

Optimal launch conditions are partially personal preference. All club fitting decisions involve tradeoffs. If you opt for max distance, you will sacrifice some control.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Optimal launch conditions are partially personal preference. All club fitting decisions involve tradeoffs. If you opt for max distance, you will sacrifice some control.

Not as much as you think. Most people would benefit for getting the most they can out of a driver.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!