IGNORED

Big Break Palm Beaches Discussion Thread

Slowcelica
Note: This thread is 3221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's Roberts show to lose.

I completely agree, he was under pressure but never showed it. Said his short game wasnt the better part of his game and was spot on. He just seems to be idling by comfortably. I'd really like to see him when the stakes are high.

Yeah, I think it's Robert's show to lose. Justin is pretty good, but not quite that good. Richy showed some nerves with those putts - missing both of them in the exact same way, yikes. I don't really care about him blaming the grass - I'm guessing that what he needs to think to maintain his confidence.

I think there were also some questionable decisions in the first immunity challenge. Justin played it perfectly, I think. But Richy and Robert laying back with irons? I sort of get Robert's thinking, to get in the fairway to increase the pressure on them, but even so, I can't help but think they should have tried to get a lot closer. A 160 yard shot into the green when you're trying to stick it close is not even close to ideal. Granted, I don't know the hole's layout at all, but it seems questionable to me.

Did anyone else notice after the first immunity challenge, Justin walking over to the other three guys for congratulations and they were all dwarfing him? It's obvious that Robert and Richy are bigger guys, but it looked like they had at least 6 inches on him. That doesn't really mean anything, golf-wise, but I wasn't sure how I didn't notice it before.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm surprised to read from some of you that without question it's Robert's to lose.  I feel completely different.

Justin has pretty much not had a bad episode, whether it be from his ability to physically complete the challenges or, as shown in the last episode, mentally complete them.  I loved his aggressive, no fear thought-process in the last episode.

Robert, I feel, hasn't really played under much, if any pressure; he hasn't needed to (and to be fair, Justin hasn't had to play under much pressure, either).  In the second immunity challenge, he knew Richy was pretty much done, what with missing two short putts and, I hate to say it, but Clay wasn't wowing people out there on this episode and you could tell he was playing badly.

Can Robert out drive Justin, sure, and whereas that's one of, if not the most important parts of playing good golf, I think Justin has been superior in every other facet.  I think it's pretty close as to which of the two should be favored.  If I had to pick one, I'd pick Justin.

That said, unless Richy surprises me by pulling through in the next episode, it should be a good final between Justin and Robert.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm surprised to read from some of you that without question it's Robert's to lose.  I feel completely different.

Justin has pretty much not had a bad episode, whether it be from his ability to physically complete the challenges or, as shown in the last episode, mentally complete them.  I loved his aggressive, no fear thought-process in the last episode.

Robert, I feel, hasn't really played under much, if any pressure; he hasn't needed to (and to be fair, Justin hasn't had to play under much pressure, either).  In the second immunity challenge, he knew Richy was pretty much done, what with missing two short putts and, I hate to say it, but Clay wasn't wowing people out there on this episode and you could tell he was playing badly.

Can Robert out drive Justin, sure, and whereas that's one of, if not the most important parts of playing good golf, I think Justin has been superior in every other facet.  I think it's pretty close as to which of the two should be favored.  If I had to pick one, I'd pick Justin.

That said, unless Richy surprises me by pulling through in the next episode, it should be a good final between Justin and Robert.

After last night, this is pretty much where I stand as well.  I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's anybodys show to lose, because all three of them are good, but if I was forced to rank them right now, I'd go Justin, young Jerry Seinfeld, err, I mean, Robert :-P , and then Richy. :beer:

After last night, this is pretty much where I stand as well.  I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's anybodys show to lose, because all three of them are good, but if I was forced to rank them right now, I'd go Justin, young Jerry Seinfeld, err, I mean, Robert , and then Richy.

You are a wise man, sir! :whistle:;-)B-)

Christian

I'd rank:  Justin, Robert, Richy.  I don't have any favorites from this list.

Poor Clay had a bad day that kept getting worse.  Tough when you only get to play a couple holes.  He puts a lot of pressure and expectations on himself.

I thought Justin looked a little peeved to have had to use the mulligan.  (despite happy to get the immunity regardless)/

I suspect he wanted to clean sweep without it at all.

this is a good season - all the players mostly likeable and the play is better than usual

Bill - 

Just to inject some reality here, Justin might be playing pretty darn well, but Richy crushed him in the Q-school for web.com in 2014. Richy just went pro and has made 4 of 6 cuts this year for web.com, and Justin has not played in any tournaments that I can see. Justin has been around a long time, but has not broken through. In my mind, Richy has the edge over Justin, despite Justin playing perhaps a bit more consistently so far. These last three are all good, but Richy and Robert (strong finishes last year on the Latin America PGA tour) are the two whose careers are going decent at the moment. Justin is not the clear favorite in my mind at all. If anything, somewhat of an underdog. Just my 2 cents.

I'd love to see Justin do well! He's the kind of guy the show was made for- Cinderella story to get their one big shot at a PGA event. Robert and Richy have avenues to get there, if they can do well this season. Justin, not so much. Big Break is probably his only shot.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Predictable, Clay just lacked consistent good contact, although that challenge from the trees was kind of nutty and cost him, still, he was the lesser golfer so it played out right.

Next is Richy, he's good, but Justin is a bit better with his approaches.

And those back-to-back missed putts by Richy were ugly, and then blaming the grass, not good, you want to be a pro those have to go in every time.

It's Roberts show to lose.

I'd agree. Clay doesn't play as much in competition so his consistency isn't yet at the level of the other guys. He was brilliant in the previous challenge, and his putting was steady throughout. He took out Kyle who has a very strong CV. He probably could have won other shows, but the talent level was higher than average on this installment.

The tree challenge should highlight something for Clay to work on in terms of path & impact conditions. Like Robert said the thing that's death in that lie is hitting fat. The split stance was a creative idea for positioning, but Clay pulled his left foot back and kept his weight back on the right foot. The fat contact was almost assured. If he had done the opposite, it might have worked out differently.

Not sure if I would pick Robert or Justin. Do they play 9 or 18? If it's 9 and only 2 par 5's then Justin could do it. More par 5's work to Robert's advantage. They are all good enough to take it if they have a hot day or the others falter. Should be interesting.

Kevin

Just to inject some reality here, Justin might be playing pretty darn well, but Richy crushed him in the Q-school for web.com in 2014. Richy just went pro and has made 4 of 6 cuts this year for web.com, and Justin has not played in any tournaments that I can see. Justin has been around a long time, but has not broken through. In my mind, Richy has the edge over Justin, despite Justin playing perhaps a bit more consistently so far. These last three are all good, but Richy and Robert (strong finishes last year on the Latin America PGA tour) are the two whose careers are going decent at the moment. Justin is not the clear favorite in my mind at all. If anything, somewhat of an underdog. Just my 2 cents.  I'd love to see Justin do well! He's the kind of guy the show was made for- Cinderella story to get their one big shot at a PGA event. Robert and Richy have avenues to get there, if they can do well this season. Justin, not so much. Big Break is probably his only shot.

This could all be true but in the context and format of the show, Richy has shown he can choke in big spots whereas Justin has shown he's ready to go when the bell gets rung.

Christian

This could all be true but in the context and format of the show, Richy has shown he can choke in big spots whereas Justin has shown he's ready to go when the bell gets rung.

The fact that Richy was more successful at Q-School is interesting. He may need to get into a rhythm with at least a few holes to play rather than the more practice-like challenge setups.

Could be that Justin was off form when Richy was on and not it's vice-versa or that Richy is longer and has an advantage that accumulates only over the multiple rounds of a tournament.

Kevin

The fact that Richy was more successful at Q-School is interesting. He may need to get into a rhythm with at least a few holes to play rather than the more practice-like challenge setups. Could be that Justin was off form when Richy was on and not it's vice-versa or that Richy is longer and has an advantage that accumulates only over the multiple rounds of a tournament.

I was thinking this, too. Richy might be longer leading to overall more success but in the short term of challenges or one round of golf, like with Robert, that physical advantage doesn't necessarily overtake Justin's possible mental and/or other advantages.

Christian

Finals will be Rohanna v. Werenski.

Werenski wins.

They'll beat George Bryan and Schaff to make it past the semi's.

After going through the profiles, I think it'll be pretty damn good. Tons of talent. I think everyone there has won at some level.  Every one of them probably has the ability to shoot well for a week or two- enough to take a prize like this. I've gone with the players that seem to have the most experience and best results for a large number of rounds. I think there could be some great storylines here, and honestly, I'm just glad we're back to the all-male format with a decent slate of players. Should be fun!

Nice Call on the finals!!..................and this was before episode1.  I agree there were some good golfers on this season.

Now that we're down to the final 3....

After watching the entire season, it's hard to argue against any of these guys for making it this far.  Clay was the last of the weaker players to get eliminated...IMO

My take on the final3:

!.........I pick Robert Rohanna to win it all.........this man looks like the best player to me and most likely to play on the PGA tour.  At least by his swing, he looks polished.

2........Justin Martinson.............this guy has mad skills too with PGA tour potential.   Very good game!!

3.........Richey Werenski.............this kid has great potential, but I put him a notch or two below Justin and Robert.

So what do you all think?

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I've watched every show and honestly can't remember Richy choking any other time then last weeks show missing the short putt twice...I could be wrong though

These 3 remaining are def the more polished of all the guys this season imho and will be a great fight among them to get to crown the winner..looking forward to it.

I've watched every show and honestly can't remember Richy choking any other time then last weeks show missing the short putt twice...I could be wrong though

These 3 remaining are def the more polished of all the guys this season imho and will be a great fight among them to get to crown the winner..looking forward to it.

I don't think he was in a position to perform under pressure before the last show because, IMO, he, Justin, and Robert were head and shoulders better than most if not all the other competitors.  I don't remember if Robert's been in a position to be picked before, I only remember Justin being among a group of 3 or so other competitors that could have been picked for one challenge and he wasn't picked, and I think this is the only time Richy has been in an elimination.

Granted, the sample size is small, but, with respect to what we've seen on the show, Richy's the only one so far that's choked in a pressure spot.

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undr Par

I don't think he was in a position to perform under pressure before the last show because, IMO, he, Justin, and Robert were head and shoulders better than most if not all the other competitors.  I don't remember if Robert's been in a position to be picked before, I only remember Justin being among a group of 3 or so other competitors that could have been picked for one challenge and he wasn't picked, and I think this is the only time Richy has been in an elimination.

Granted, the sample size is small, but, with respect to what we've seen on the show, Richy's the only one so far that's choked in a pressure spot.

I'm with @Undr Par , and I'm not seeing much in the way of Richy choking. For the first 7 episodes, he got immunity 7 times. Nobody else did that. If he were a habitual choker, you'd likely not go 7 for 7 in immunities on The Big Break. By all accounts, pressure is enormous when you are there.

Yes, he missed the same putt twice in a row in Episode 8 or 9 (burning his mulligan- which he was only 1 of 2 to retain to that point), but the rest of that episode, he was pretty good. It didn't get to him. He pushed Robert to the limit by hitting good putts, and forced Robert to earn that last immunity with his own clutch putt. Richy didn't choke in the elimination round at all, but just played decent conservative golf and let Clay choke a bit.

If in all the episodes, the only "choke" is that missed putt, I don't see this as much evidence he will not perform down the stretch. In fact, based on his collegiate performance at Georgia Tech, his performance since the show on web.com and based on his pretty darn good performance in the Dec 2014 Q-School, which got him into web.com tour, I'd say choking is not something that you'd use to describe Richy.

It's anyone's to win at this point. I'd give Richy every bit the chance that everyone is giving Justin and Robert. These were the best 3 from the show, so it's a fitting end. Will be fun to watch!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'm with @Undr Par , and I'm not seeing much in the way of Richy choking. For the first 7 episodes, he got immunity 7 times. Nobody else did that. If he were a habitual choker, you'd likely not go 7 for 7 in immunities on The Big Break. By all accounts, pressure is enormous when you are there.

Yes, he missed the same putt twice in a row in Episode 8 or 9 (burning his mulligan- which he was only 1 of 2 to retain to that point), but the rest of that episode, he was pretty good. It didn't get to him. He pushed Robert to the limit by hitting good putts, and forced Robert to earn that last immunity with his own clutch putt. Richy didn't choke in the elimination round at all, but just played decent conservative golf and let Clay choke a bit.

If in all the episodes, the only "choke" is that missed putt, I don't see this as much evidence he will not perform down the stretch. In fact, based on his collegiate performance at Georgia Tech, his performance since the show on web.com and based on his pretty darn good performance in the Dec 2014 Q-School, which got him into web.com tour, I'd say choking is not something that you'd use to describe Richy.

It's anyone's to win at this point. I'd give Richy every bit the chance that everyone is giving Justin and Robert. These were the best 3 from the show, so it's a fitting end. Will be fun to watch!

This doesn't negate my point and, if anything, just reinforces it.

Richy's the only one so far that's choked in a pressure spot. Justin was in a pressure spot by burning his medallion and sticking it close and, as you said, Richy put Robert in a pressure situation.

Like I said, it's only a small window.  IIRC, you're very big in what they've accomplished before the Big Break, and there's of course something to that, but I think we also need to account for what we've seen so far on the show, too, and roll it all together to make our determinations.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!