IGNORED

TST Interviews The Dan Plan (Dan McLaughlin) - You Get to Ask the Questions

mchepp
Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you had a chance to start the plan all over again, what would you have done differently? Why did you choose golf as the target of your experiment? Do you think you can get your handicap down to scratch, if so, what components do you think you need to improve to get there?

Dan Plan has been asked why golf, maybe his answer has changed given his experience. He said something like he sees nothing differentiating pro golfers from normal people - vertical jump, speed, strength, etc...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

In order, what are the three single biggest things holding you back from reaching your goal? Include everything: technique, monetary, time, knowledge, equipment, natural talent…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just hope this interview doesn't end up being Dan just sticking to some canned, vague answers about how great the plan is going.

Sadly, I think that's exactly how he'll answer the questions.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I just hope this interview doesn't end up being Dan just sticking to some canned, vague answers about how great the plan is going.

Sadly, I think that's exactly how he'll answer the questions.

He'll watch Bull Durham the night before and practice Nuke's responses.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/18#post_1114963"]   I just hope this interview doesn't end up being Dan just sticking to some canned, vague answers about how great the plan is going. Sadly, I think that's exactly how he'll answer the questions. [/QUOTE] He'll watch Bull Durham the night before and practice Nuke's responses. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/115744/] [/URL]

Happy playing a game I love, one day at a time, one day at a time, think positive. :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

If you had a chance to start the plan all over again, what would you have done differently?

Why did you choose golf as the target of your experiment?

Do you think you can get your handicap down to scratch, if so, what components do you think you need to improve to get there?

I also have a question for @mchepp , are you going to be able to interview him on the course? It would be interesting to have a Vlog of you two playing a stroke play game for 18 holes and answering the questions within the Vlog. Is this possible???

Actually, I just want to see how Dan plays against a 5.8 HC. :roll:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I also have a question for @mchepp, are you going to be able to interview him on the course? It would be interesting to have a Vlog of you two playing a stroke play game for 18 holes and answering the questions within the Vlog. Is this possible???

Actually, I just want to see how Dan plays against a 5.8 HC.

Based on my experiences playing with him, Dan would beat a 5.8 cap over 50% of the time.

@Lihu Dan has asked if I wanted to play a round together. I had to take a rain check on that because I am not in the Portland area on a consistent basis yet. We will probably play together but it will be after the interview.

I am not really interested in questioning his handicap. For me that is calling a guy who I have never met a liar. I don't see the value in that. I could ask why he feels he struggles to play to his potential in tournaments. I might ask that...

• Upvote 1

Michael

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/18#post_1116448"]   I also have a question for @mchepp , are you going to be able to interview him on the course? It would be interesting to have a Vlog of you two playing a stroke play game for 18 holes and answering the questions within the Vlog. Is this possible??? Actually, I just want to see how Dan plays against a 5.8 HC. :roll:   [/QUOTE] Based on my experiences playing with him, Dan would beat a 5.8 cap over 50% of the time.

[quote name="mchepp" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions#post_1116484"] @Lihu Dan has asked if I wanted to play a round together. I had to take a rain check on that because I am not in the Portland area on a consistent basis yet. We will probably play together but it will be after the interview.  I am not really interested in questioning his handicap. For me that is calling a guy who I have never met a liar. I don't see the value in that. I could ask why he feels he struggles to play to his potential in tournaments. I might ask that...  [/quote] Sure, but a real time vlog would give us a view of his game in an unedited manner with you filming. Like the Rick Shiels and Mark Crossfield videos. More fun to watch, I think. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Ask him if he regrets not getting quality instruction from the outset.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I think this is a tough question. Consider when he started he first went to a highly respected teacher in Oregon. Christopher Smith was at one time the teacher of the year from the Oregon PGA and is well respected. If you had just taken up the game you would think his credentials are excellent. Many of us who took up golf had to wonder around aimlessly before finding places like TST to discover where to get quality instruction.

Here is Chris's bio:

http://www.train2trust.com/AboutChristopher.aspx

I do plan to ask him if he should have spent more time studying the game on the internet before deciding on a plan of action.

• Upvote 1

Michael

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

I think this is a tough question. Consider when he started he first went to a highly respected teacher in Oregon. Christopher Smith was at one time the teacher of the year from the Oregon PGA and is well respected. If you had just taken up the game you would think his credentials are excellent. Many of us who took up golf had to wonder around aimlessly before finding places like TST to discover where to get quality instruction.

Here is Chris's bio:

I do plan to ask him if he should have spent more time studying the game on the internet before deciding on a plan of action.

You should try to interview Christopher as well to ask if he really suggested Dan to start off with 1 feet putts, or if Dan decided to do this on his own because he couldn't hit the ball at first?

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

You should try to interview Christopher as well to ask if he really suggested Dan to start off with 1 feet putts, or if Dan decided to do this on his own because he couldn't hit the ball at first?

Great idea, and if it was his idea, what was his thought process? If it was Dan's idea, why did he agree with it?!

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchepp

Quote:

Here is Chris's bio:

I dunno, it's kind of like asking he said she said. It's done and over with, can't undo or redo it, imho we should just move on and focus on the future. We all make mistakes, I know I certainly did with regards to trying to find a good pro.

• Upvote 1

Steve

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/0_40#post_1116613"]   [QUOTE name="mchepp" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/18#post_1116557"]   [QUOTE name="Phil McGleno" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/0_100#post_1116526"] Ask him if he regrets not getting quality instruction from the outset.[/QUOTE] I think this is a tough question. Consider when he started he first went to a highly respected teacher in Oregon. Christopher Smith was at one time the teacher of the year from the Oregon PGA and is well respected. If you had just taken up the game you would think his credentials are excellent. Many of us who took up golf had to wonder around aimlessly before finding places like TST to discover where to get quality instruction.  Here is Chris's bio: [URL=http://www.train2trust.com/AboutChristopher.aspx]http://www.train2trust.com/AboutChristopher.aspx[/URL] I do plan to ask him if he should have spent more time studying the game on the internet before deciding on a plan of action.  [/QUOTE] You should try to interview Christopher as well to ask if he really suggested Dan to start off with 1 feet putts, or if Dan decided to do this on his own because he couldn't hit the ball at first? [/QUOTE] I dunno, it's kind of like asking he said she said. It's done and over with, can't undo or redo it, imho we should just move on and focus on the future. We all make mistakes, I know I certainly did with regards to trying to find a good pro.

We need to clear Christopher's name! :-P I had two instructors before finding Mike, and neither of them told me to start off putting and chipping. In fact, the second instructor told me to do stuff that I am only now figuring out was the right thing, I just wasn't ready for that information back then. A good instructor knows what you ultimately need to do, the battle is gauging how much can the student absorb in the present.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchepp

Quote:

Here is Chris's bio:

I dunno, it's kind of like asking he said she said. It's done and over with, can't undo or redo it, imho we should just move on and focus on the future. We all make mistakes, I know I certainly did with regards to trying to find a good pro.

We need to clear Christopher's name!

I had two instructors before finding Mike, and neither of them told me to start off putting and chipping.

In fact, the second instructor told me to do stuff that I am only now figuring out was the right thing, I just wasn't ready for that information back then.

A good instructor knows what you ultimately need to do, the battle is gauging how much can the student absorb in the present.

Let me rewrite what I said:  We all make mistakes, I know I certainly did with regards to finding pros that I work effectively with.

Based on this video, pro suggested it. How about this question: How would you have progressed with Dan Plan if he stayed on?

Steve

Yes do that. Though I doubt he would have found good instruction on the Internet either. Just a bunch of people talking about how important the short game is.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!