IGNORED

How would you play this shot?

Note: This thread is 3244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Vangator.  Is that 68* thing called the 'Flop Wedge'?  Hard to believe such an iron is not a home-made contraption, bent and ground down to resemble a bezel on a stick. And regarding the rough at Dublin OH this time of year, very unlikely to be Bermuda grass.  So you guys from FL would not know how to play the shot.  Nice try , though. :-P Did Spieth carry a 'chipper' iron?  That would be one way to just get the ball onto the green and let it run.  Check it out: [URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyss-lLroSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyss-lLroSE[/URL]

The wedge pictured is not the 68* because the bounce on the 68* is zero. But the heads look the same. If you'd like to order one... http://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-wedges/i128.html If you have an empty slot in your bag (I did), it really is a nice club for those shots when the 60* feels a little touchy. Plus, grew pin Jamestown NY and know what the northern rough I like. It can get pretty think around the greens, but I can't remember ever losing one. I love playing up north in the summer.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I'd either chunk it or skull it.

No seriously, I'd play a 9 iron and pitch it about 3 ft onto the green and just try to get it close.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd either chunk it or skull it. No seriously, I'd play a 9 iron and pitch it about 3 ft onto the green and just try to get it close.

Based on what I think the condition is, this would probably run the ball past the hole 20 feet. But it would be an uphill putt. :-D

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I note that on your list of clubs, the 68* is called the 'FW', which i 'assumed' was the Flop Wedge.  Might be you have another meaning for 'FW'.

Jamestown NY?  Capital city of Chautauqua Co., if i'm not mistaken.  Hardly since my first born arrived there.  Next was born in Westfield NY, along the Lake Erie. Great place in the summer. And, get this, near to Erie PA, home of super golf instruction.

Regarding the flop from near the green, too often, if fluffy, slide the wedge totally under the ball. A nice swing but no ball movement and yes, one stroke.

I note that on your list of clubs, the 68* is called the 'FW', which i 'assumed' was the Flop Wedge.  Might be you have another meaning for 'FW'. Jamestown NY?  Capital city of Chautauqua Co., if i'm not mistaken.  Hardly since my first born arrived there.  Next was born in Westfield NY, along the Lake Erie. Great place in the summer. And, get this, near to Erie PA, home of super golf instruction.  Regarding the flop from near the green, too often, if fluffy, slide the wedge totally under the ball. A nice swing but no ball movement and yes, one stroke.

Yep, FW is for Flop Wedge although I never flop with it. I always do a leading edge chip since there's no bounce. I'll be heading to Jamestown this fall to see my family. I'll do most of my golfing at the North Hills in Corry Pa. Love that course.

Did it today.. Told my friend who doesn't play our course much to stay left of the green.. What do I do put it right and almost impossible to put it close  25 feet downhill in thick ruff.. lol I practice this shot a lot and today it worked, open face 52 wedge chip stuck it by the pin..  :)

Based on what I think the condition is, this would probably run the ball past the hole 20 feet. But it would be an uphill putt.

I've had worse situations happen. :cry:

Really I'd have to see it. If it was like the 18th on my home course, I'd spend 3 minutes lining it up and hope to hole it out. A chili dip might not be the worst play.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Time for a new scenario.

You have this green complex. Lets say the pin is at elevation zero.

The bunker on the left sits about 7 feet below the pin elevation. The first grass bunker on the right sits the same. The 2nd grass bunker on the right sits about 15 feet below the pin elevation. The pin is marked with a cross. This is a two tiered green, with a tier running laterally from left to right. The top end of the tier is situated at near the top end of the bunker and has about a 5-6% slope that runs a good 7 feet wide.

The ball (red dot) sits in the 2nd grass bunker. The bunker itself is small, but has steep sides and is about 3 feet deep. The balls its about 1/2 the way up the side, so it would sit about 1-1.5 feet above the golfers typical ball position. The ball is also situation as such that the ground is slanting towards the pin and towards the golfer. Basically this bunker is a bowl shaped.

So how would you play this shot? Where the ball is severely above your feet and the ball is on a severe down slope and side slope.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Time for a new scenario.

You have this green complex. Lets say the pin is at elevation zero.

The bunker on the left sits about 7 feet below the pin elevation. The first grass bunker on the right sits the same. The 2nd grass bunker on the right sits about 15 feet below the pin elevation. The pin is marked with a cross. This is a two tiered green, with a tier running laterally from left to right. The top end of the tier is situated at near the top end of the bunker and has about a 5-6% slope that runs a good 7 feet wide.

The ball (red dot) sits in the 2nd grass bunker. The bunker itself is small, but has steep sides and is about 3 feet deep. The balls its about 1/2 the way up the side, so it would sit about 1-1.5 feet above the golfers typical ball position. The ball is also situation as such that the ground is slanting towards the pin and towards the golfer. Basically this bunker is a bowl shaped.

So how would you play this shot? Where the ball is severely above your feet and the ball is on a severe down slope and side slope.

Given you're the new logo brand for bunker play on this site, I'd have to say this is a pretty difficult shot to make?

My only hope would be to flop it out of the bunker towards the wide part of the green then 2 putt for at best bogey. If I tried to flop it out in front of the pin, it would not check enough to stop on the green. I would end up in the left side bunker. That ball placement spells bogey for me.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Given you're the new logo brand for bunker play on this site, I'd have to say this is a pretty difficult shot to make?

My only hope would be to flop it out of the bunker towards the wide part of the green then 2 putt for at best bogey. If I tried to flop it out in front of the pin, it would not check enough to stop on the green. I would end up in the left side bunker. That ball placement spells bogey for me.

Ball is in a grass bunker, not sand bunker.

Another situation similar would be if your ball ended up on the grass bank of a bunker lip, but the area away from the green such that it is sloping away from you, not towards you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Ball is in a grass bunker, not sand bunker.

Another situation similar would be if your ball ended up on the grass bank of a bunker lip, but the area away from the green such that it is sloping away from you, not towards you.

I can't get enough spin on my flop shots to check on a down slope like that. The risk of blading it is too high. Probably need to work on my flop shot a bit more when I'm ready to work on my short game.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

To me it's a no-brainer in terms of shot selection (easier decision for me since I always use my 60 around the green). Choke down, flop it out; line up left, aim club face right of the pin and swing hard. Probably less than 50% chance at par but 70% or so getting it on the green. The only question I would have is do I have enough room behind the ball for a back and down swing. If not, may have to play to the real fat part of the green.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I would turn such that the ground isn't sloping in the direction of my target.  Assuming I'm reading your scenario correctly, that means that I'm aiming towards the back middle of the green.  Ideally I'd hit it into the tier and it would funnel back down towards the hole.  But realistically, because of the severity of the lie vs. the stance, and how awkward that will be, I'm happy to be anywhere on the green or fringe.  Even if it means a possible 3 putt double bogey.  Getting too cute with the shot means risking leaving it in the bunker, or dumping it in the next bunker or going clear across the green into the sand bunker.  Those all bring an even higher number into play.

Also, I'm having a hard time picturing a greenside bunker (sand, grass, or otherwise) that is 15' below the level of the green.  That is insane.

Also, I'm having a hard time picturing a greenside bunker (sand, grass, or otherwise) that is 15' below the level of the green.  That is insane.

It's a pretty nasty golf hole. It's on the crappy course I play ;)

From the back tees it's 172 to the middle of the green. The green is like 20 yards uphill. you can't see the putting surface. The right side of the green is a severe bank.

Google Earth has the green at 909 FT, and that spot at 986 FT. I was pretty close, 13 FT elevation change.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

It's a pretty nasty golf hole. It's on the crappy course I play ;)

From the back tees it's 172 to the middle of the green. The green is like 20 yards uphill. you can't see the putting surface. The right side of the green is a severe bank.

Google Earth has the green at 909 FT, and that spot at 986 FT. I was pretty close, 13 FT elevation change.

Lesson learned, hit long on that hole. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Take a 58º and open it a bit. Hit "ball first" with gentle lob motion and land it just on the green. What I'm looking for is the initial check spin to lessen forward momentum from the club, and just let gravity roll the ball down to the hole.

Caution: I have hit shots like this that are too spinny, and I end up with an 8-foot downhill cleanup putt.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Take a 58º and open it a bit. Hit "ball first" with gentle lob motion and land it just on the green. What I'm looking for is the initial check spin to lessen forward momentum from the club, and just let gravity roll the ball down to the hole.

Caution: I have hit shots like this that are too spinny, and I end up with an 8-foot downhill cleanup putt.

If you think that leaving yourself with an 8' downhill putt for par is a NEGATIVE then I think you aren't truly appreciating the predicament that you put yourself in with your tee shot. ;-)

• Grass bunker, which usually means a good amount of rough.
  • Ball 15' BELOW the level of the green.
  • Ball 18-24" ABOVE your feet.
  • Ball on sideslope facing your body (so your swing is a bit horizontal) AND ball on downslope towards the hole.

You are dealing with a ball that is 1-1.5 feet above your feet, on a downslope that is very severe. It is also out of the rough. I would say it is highly unlikely you would be able to impart spin to stop the ball.

If you think that leaving yourself with an 8' downhill putt for par is a NEGATIVE then I think you aren't truly appreciating the predicament that you put yourself in with your tee shot.

This^^

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!