IGNORED

Do you enter a score every single time you play?

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you enter your score for handicap every time you play?

• Yes
    • No

I always post my rounds. I like to make baseline shifts under real conditions.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

I had a 102 in my last 20 at one of the toughest courses here. I played it again last week, determined to get my revenge. I posted an 85 and that included an 8 on the par 5 ninth. Pretty happy with the result.

79 with a triple. Suck it Angeles National.

79 off the whites? Any way you play it, that's a pretty good score. I hate those greens they're like teflon. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

79 off the whites? Any way you play it, that's a pretty good score. I hate those greens they're like teflon. . .

Blues. It's in pretty good shape actually.

Nice. They were super fast and hard last time I played there, and really windy. . .How was it like when you played?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Nice. They were super fast and hard last time I played there, and really windy. . .How was it like when you played?

Fairways were the same as always, firm and fast, but in way better shape in Robinson Ranch is right now.  My favorite thing about AN is that it seems Nicklaus Design put downslopes in just the right place place if you hit a good tee shot.  So a lot of the really daunting par 4's, like the 9th which I think plays 449 can still give you a 8 or 9 iron into the green.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the greens today.  They rolled fast and true (which I think is perfect), but I didn't have any trouble stopping shots on 'em.  Worst I saw was a couple 100 SW's that rolled out about 4", and I was able to stop a 5 iron on 13 (short par 5) within 6" of it's pitch mark.  To be fair, I hit a pretty high ball, but still, I've seen greens where I can't stop a 9 iron of 10+ feet.

Definitely windy though.

So if your out practicing playing 18 holes how do you practice "not really trying hard". Seem like you would want to try to be good when you practice.  Also do you look at your last (20th round) before playing and see if a low score is going to fall off? If you've got a big swing in scores it will move your trend but it is what it is.

Not caring if I hit the greens. ...not worrying about landing spots for chips and pitches......not reading putts......If I'm practicing on the course, I'm usually working on tee shots and different types of

shots into and around the greens. So I'm not "really trying hard" to hit the green or chip it close or drain the putt. I'm working on different ball flights with different clubs.

No, I don't check what my 20th score is before I play.

I enter a score for every round I play with others. When I play by myself in the evenings, I hit multiple balls, practice around the green, drop at different distances, etc. So, I'm not playing a regular round most of the time. I could probably just keep score of one ball, but I don't see the point, and don't really care that much.

So if your out practicing playing 18 holes how do you practice "not really trying hard". Seem like you would want to try to be good when you practice.  Also do you look at your last (20th round) before playing and see if a low score is going to fall off? If you've got a big swing in scores it will move your trend but it is what it is.

I'd differentiate between "not really trying hard to score well " and/or "not really trying hard to improve ".  Sometimes when I'm out alone and the course isn't crowded, I'll do things like try four or five different types of short game shots around the green - chips, bump and runs, flops, 3H putts, etc.  There are a couple holes on my home course where I often struggle off the tees, so I've stood there and tried driver, 3W, hybrid and an iron to see which one gives me the best shot.  Sometimes I'll try hitting a full shot on an approach, then experiment with clubbing up and taking a 3/4 swing or 1/2 swing.  I'll experiment on uphill/downhill/sidehill lies (which you can't replicate on the driving range).  I'll hit different clubs out of bunkers in an effort to work on my distance control.  I even practice hitting out of the abundant desert waste areas on our home course, because I often end up there at least a few times per round.  All those things are "trying to be good when I practice", because I'm working on specific things for specific reasons - it's just that scoring well isn't one of my specific reasons on that day.

I don't know - it just seems alien to me that some people find the concept of a practice round unthinkable or somehow unethical/illegitimate.  Sometimes I'm out there to "golf", sometimes I'm out there to "play" (practice).  There are a lot of sports in which non-scored practice sessions/scrimmages are held on regulation playing fields - why is golf any different?  When I am playing for score, I'm not always hitting from perfectly flat lies to 200-yard wide fairways with dilapidated, limited flight range balls or chipping/putting on the same green the whole round, so why practice that way if you're fortunate enough to not have to?

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Just a follow-up - while @iacas isn't addressing the issue of posting a score every time you play (and I'm not trying to put words in his mouth since he's already said that he rarely plays "practice rounds"), his post in this thread talks about the fact that the course is a place for practice/learning too: http://thesandtrap.com/t/73316/get-off-the-darn-range-and-go-play-golf#post_965329

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

• Administrator

Just a follow-up - while @iacas isn't addressing the issue of posting a score every time you play (and I'm not trying to put words in his mouth since he's already said that he rarely plays "practice rounds"), his post in this thread talks about the fact that the course is a place for practice/learning too:  http://thesandtrap.com/t/73316/get-off-the-darn-range-and-go-play-golf#post_965329

You seem to have misread that post. It doesn't encourage people to play practice rounds, it encourages people to play golf, which counts as practice (another form).

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="Jim Ludden" url="/t/82777/do-you-enter-a-score-every-single-time-you-play/72#post_1159686"]   So if your out practicing playing 18 holes how do you practice "not really trying hard ". Seem like you would want to try to be good when you practice.  Also do you look at your last (20th round) before playing and see if a low score is going to fall off? If you've got a big swing in scores it will move your trend but it is what it is. [/QUOTE] Not caring if I hit the greens. ...not worrying about landing spots for chips and pitches......not reading putts......If I'm practicing on the course, I'm usually working on tee shots and different types of shots into and around the greens. So I'm not "really trying hard" to hit the green or chip it close or drain the putt. I'm working on different ball flights with different clubs. No, I don't check what my 20th score is before I play.

These seem reasonable. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I said no, but 95% of them I do enter. The 5% I don't are practice rounds for tournaments

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

So I was thinking, if you're going to enter a score every time you play (except when you decide it's a practice round before you tee off), does that mean you follow every rule to the letter?  Not talking the obvious ones, I mean stuff like pulling pins when you're playing by yourself, etc.

So I was thinking, if you're going to enter a score every time you play (except when you decide it's a practice round before you tee off), does that mean you follow every rule to the letter?  Not talking the obvious ones, I mean stuff like pulling pins when you're playing by yourself, etc.

Not me.  I don't even know all the rules.  But I try my best to follow the rules that can impact the outcome of the round.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Not me.  I don't even know all the rules.  But I try my best to follow the rules that can impact the outcome of the round.

Same here, I just follow them as well as I can. However, now I am hitting multiple balls to work on my "game", just to make the practice round "officially" a practice. :beer:

I played 16 holes today, but they were all on the same 9 holes. I stopped because there were too many people and I got in a bucket before I would have finished the round. I bet the guy I partnered with wished he did the same when I bailed off the course, because I saw the people in front of us 1 and a half hours later for 4 holes?? Wow, slow. Not just slow. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Yep.  Don't see any sense in doing it any other way.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!