IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Even better than Moore / DJ:

hfyr6r.JPG

Why not high on Kuch for Ryder. Lack of distance?

I think I'd like those top two pairings flipped around. Holmes would pair better with a longer hitter.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Interesting...I like those for the most part but I don't like Phil and Kuchar playing this afternoon. I don't quite understand how DL3 could bench Snedeker in favor of those guys.

Lack of distance and grititness/killer instinct/whatever you want to call it for Kuchar IMO. He's a great guy to log top 10s week in and week out on tour, don't think he's got a great RC game.

I would not be playing Phil this afternoon. He has been erratic. 

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I think I'd like those top two pairings flipped around. Holmes would pair better with a longer hitter.

Why so? They're playing their own ball?

5 minutes ago, skydog said:

Interesting...I like those for the most part but I don't like Phil and Kuchar playing this afternoon. I don't quite understand how DL3 could bench Snedeker in favor of those guys.

Lack of distance and grititness/killer instinct/whatever you want to call it for Kuchar IMO. He's a great guy to log top 10s week in and week out on tour, don't think he's got a great RC game.

How has Snedeker's ballstriking been so far? On paper at least Kuchar is better there, though seems a bit cold so far. Great / hot putting is not what you need in fourball. It seems to me you want to maximize makeable birdie looks without risking par too much - and that comes from good ballstriking.

Everyone would be better with a longer hitter (who was still reasonably accurate). Kind of why I was bigger on Woodland or Berger vs. Moore, because their ballstriking was stronger and I saw that as a weakness looking at the original qualifying 8 as a group.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

3 minutes ago, natureboy said:

How has Snedeker's ballstriking been so far? On paper at least Kuchar is better there, though seems a bit cold so far. Great / hot putting is not what you need in fourball. It seems to me you want to maximize makeable birdie looks without risking par too much - and that comes from good ballstriking.

Yea I'm guessing DL3 is thinking Phil can hopefully rack up some birdies (and plenty of bogeys) and Kuchar can typically be counted on for par. I think he's giving Phil (and to a lesser extent, Kuchar) too much credit, but we'll see. I just love Snedeker's clutch-ness and heart in this event so I have a hard time with sitting him two matches now.

7 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I would not be playing Phil this afternoon. He has been erratic. 

He's always erratic. Unless it's a major.

I hypothesize that there are two of him. One plays the majors. The other goes to everything else. The Ryder Cup falls under everything else. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 minutes ago, skydog said:

Yea I'm guessing DL3 is thinking Phil can hopefully rack up some birdies (and plenty of bogeys) and Kuchar can typically be counted on for par. I think he's giving Phil (and to a lesser extent, Kuchar) too much credit, but we'll see. I just love Snedeker's clutch-ness and heart in this event so I have a hard time with sitting him two matches now.

Season-long, Kuch actually has the 6th highest birdie rate on the team. Hopefully Sneds will contribute a needed point tomorrow by being fully rested.

Kevin

8 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Why so? They're playing their own ball?

Holmes is long, but he plays himself out of holes; DJ and Koepka are more consistent. Having Holmes pair with one of those two, and Moore with the other, would balance those pairings.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

3 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Holmes is long, but he plays himself out of holes; DJ and Koepka are more consistent. Having Holmes pair with one of those two, and Moore with the other, would balance those pairings.

Koepka and Holmes (season-long) bogey about the same frequency. Given that Koepka is a better putter, it would seem that he's guiltier of playing himself out of holes where JB just struggles a bit more to make putts.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

15 minutes ago, Silent said:

Spectacular comeback from the Spaniards.

Indeed, Ugh :-( Momentum is with Euros now, but hopefully putting out their strongest teams so much leaves them a little tired this afternoon and tomorrow.

I wonder if cooler / breezier weather favors the Euros a bit? But tip of the cap to their good play in those two sessions to pull it even.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Haha, as much as I love the Ryder Cup, it's somewhat annoying that this tournament makes me root for the likes of Patrick Reed there. That was odd just now fist pumping to a putt he made. I feel dirty. 

Constantine

10 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

So in this format, after the hole is over. Anyone of the 2 on the team can tee off ?

No, they take it in turns on the tee, regardless of who finished the previous hole.

Wow... Dustin-Koepka, Rory-Pieters. This is awesome. They better have the pro-tracer ready to go.

Thank you, Ryder Cup Captains!!

• Upvote 2

Constantine

Note: This thread is 2755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!