IGNORED

Golfer shoots 57 with 3 aces, 2 of which were on par-4's

David in FL
Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's are his current GHIN scores:  looks like he enters lots of scores at one time.

Club Handicap Index Effective Date Low H.I.
Medal of Honor Golf Course
Virginia State Golf Assoc
+4.8 6/15/2015 +5.4
Revision Scores Recent Scores H.I. Hist C.H. Calc My Card
Used T Date Score CR/Slope Diff.
H 6/15 74 70.4/125 3.3
* H 6/15 64 70.4/125 -5.8
H 6/15 69 70.4/125 -1.3
* TI 6/15 62 71.4/139 -7.6
I 6/15 75 72.4/135 2.2
I 5/15 73 70.4/125 2.4
* H 5/15 66 70.4/125 -4.0
H 5/15 72 70.4/125 1.4
* H 5/15 68 70.4/125 -2.2
* TI 5/15 65 70.4/125 -4.9
I 5/15 76 70.4/125 5.1
* TI 5/15 69 73.1/144 -3.2
I 5/15 73 74.2/140 -1.0
I 5/15 74 70.4/125 3.3
* H 5/15 65 70.4/125 -4.9
* AI 5/15 60 70.3/129 -9.0
I 5/15 72 74.2/140 -1.8
* H 5/15 64 70.4/125 -5.8
H 5/15 79 70.4/125 7.8
* H 5/15 67 70.4/125 -3.1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually there are 15 scores, and that's playing every day for the first 15 days in May.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Here's are his current GHIN scores:  looks like he enters lots of scores at one time.

Club

Handicap Index

Effective Date

Low H.I.

Medal of Honor Golf Course

Virginia State Golf Assoc

+4.8

6/15/2015

+5.4

Revision ScoresRecent ScoresH.I. HistC.H. CalcMy Card

Used

T

Date

Score

CR/Slope

Diff.

H

6/15

70.4/125

H

6/15

70.4/125

H

6/15

70.4/125

TI

6/15

71.4/139

I

6/15

72.4/135

I

5/15

70.4/125

H

5/15

70.4/125

H

5/15

70.4/125

H

5/15

70.4/125

TI

5/15

70.4/125

I

5/15

70.4/125

TI

5/15

73.1/144

I

5/15

74.2/140

I

5/15

70.4/125

H

5/15

70.4/125

AI

5/15

70.3/129

I

5/15

74.2/140

H

5/15

70.4/125

H

5/15

70.4/125

H

5/15

70.4/125

I think everybody's scores list looks like that except your own when you are logged in.

Somebody on here once told me - and I don't know if its actually true, but even if not, it's a good side benefit - that it's so others, like say, your boss, can't track exactly when you played golf.  If the full date was there, and they were nosy, then they could find out you weren't actually sick last Wednesday because you played 36 holes. ;)

Spoke to several more people who have played these events and say he is a standup guy, still having a hard time believing it. I've played Laurel Hill many times and have driven the 7th and been in the green side bunker on 10. But three aces, this was all over our course the last couple of days. Even made the Washington Post. Laurel Hill is about 15-20 minutes from our course. Great course

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

It's a tournament, so he had witnesses, right? Ever seen the guy that wins another $500k from a scratch off while the news is doing a story on him for winning $250k the week before? Crazy, unbelievable things happen everyday.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

It's a tournament, so he had witnesses, right? Ever seen the guy that wins another $500k from a scratch off while the news is doing a story on him for winning $250k the week before? Crazy, unbelievable things happen everyday.

If I'm getting the story correct, the only witnesses are his two sons and his Air Force buddy.  You'd think at least one other random person on the course would've seen at least one or two of his hole-in-ones, which is why I think this story is bogus.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

If I'm getting the story correct, the only witnesses are his two sons and his Air Force buddy.  You'd think at least one other random person on the course would've seen at least one or two of his hole-in-ones, which is why I think this story is bogus.

That does seem odd. After the first ace on a par 4 it seems like the whole clubhouse would come out to watch the rest of his round.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

That does seem odd. After the first ace on a par 4 it seems like the whole clubhouse would come out to watch the rest of his round.

I'm with you, after the second ace on the 10th hole, which would not be able to be seen by players on the 11th tee, you would think a lot of people would've come and watched. Guy is supposed to be phenomenal but still hard to believe.

-Jerry

I'm with you, after the second ace on the 10th hole, which would not be able to be seen by players on the 11th tee, you would think a lot of people would've come and watched. Guy is supposed to be phenomenal but still hard to believe.

Again, why isn't he on the tour then? If he's shooting legit rounds in the 50's, the fact that he ISNT on tour is a little suspicious.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsgolfer

Again, why isn't he on the tour then? If he's shooting legit rounds in the 50's, the fact that he ISNT on tour is a little suspicious.

IDK, I know a few +2 to +4 handicaps who are quite happy playing as amateurs. I think they make a lot more money than if they played the tour. What is the average tour player making on the bottom half?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not really.  GD did an article recently showing that Tiger Woods current handicap, were he to keep one, would be in the +6's.  The Tiger Woods who can't make a cut and has shot 3 rounds in the 80's this year.

A 59 year old with a handicap two strokes worse than that probably isn't fairing too well on tour.  Plus, perhaps, as @Lihu said, some people don't even necessarily want that lifestyle.  (I wouldn't either - way too much of a grind)

I'm buying it. From what I have read (and @jsgolfer 's digging), I'll take it as a given that he is these things:

1. Damn good golfer.

We know the guy is great (because of his handicap, plus he won  the event last year --> http://www.golfstylesonline.com/ArchiveResults/2014SolsticeResults/SS14_LHResults.html)

2. Respectable person, very likely of decent integrity (I realize this is what it all hinges on)

I think he is respectable, because if there were suspicions about him, the tournament might've been watching him closer after last year's victory. We might have even heard some snickering with the people @jsgolfer had checked with.

If ever this crazy achievement would happen, it would be with a great golfer who is playing "forward" tees. For the round this occurred, the setup was:  6,386 yards, par 71, 71.3/137 (http://www.golfstylesonline.com/ArchiveResults/2015SolsticeResults/SS15_LHResults.html). Not exactly easy, but he knows the course well, obviously. In the snippet below, there's more detail about how "easy" the course is for low handicappers.

So the conditions were right, and there's been zero hint from anyone involved that there is any suspicion. Here's their main page:

http://www.golfstylesonline.com/

Snippet here from that story:

Quote:
For comparison, the USGA 2013 Public Links Championship was contested at Laurel Hill. For the two-day, 36-hole qualifying, the course was set up 700 yards longer, a par 70 – not 71 for everyday play – faster greens and higher rough than the day Wills faced the Solstice Survival’s second round. So, really, it’s not much of a comparison, but it should be noted that 32 Public Links players – some of the country’s best amateurs but only those who play out of public courses – shot under-par rounds with one 64, a 65 and several 66s recorded. The two-day medalist score was four players at 8-under and 20 players total were under par.

The Solstice Survival is a different animal of a golf tournament. Some players feast on it, others are devoured by it. I’m in the former camp, having shot under par for 54 holes on a few occasions and routinely shooting scores that aren’t reproduced in other amateur events. I’ve shot 7-under and 8-under as a 2 and 3-handicap, something the Pope of Slope devotees will tell you is impossible. In the Solstice, it’s easy to get in a comfort zone, knowing the course’s nuances, pin positions and local knowledge. Sometimes, though obviously not in Wills’ case, your game becomes unglued and sideways shots and worse accumulate with no letup or mercy. Hence, the Survival half of the event’s name. Having played in 112 of them to date, my observation is that the good player can thrive in a Solstice, the medium-range player gets the good, the bad and the ugly, and the high-handicapper struggles in the midst of a fun but challenging day. Kind of like golf in the real world.
Normally after a net tournament, the grumbling about handicaps is most voluble from those who did not have their best days. But the Solstice Survival is a net and gross event and at Laurel Hill, it’s the gross scores that produce the most malcontented accusations of disbelief. Of course, it doesn’t help that the plus-4 handicap also placed first in the net division. Nevertheless, it’s the Solstice Survival where Patrick Wills has found his golf wheelhouse, and for those relatively good players who refuse to believe, without a whiff of proof otherwise, the snickering is petty. The Solstice Survival at Laurel Hill is contested on a public course. Spectators are welcome.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

If ever this crazy achievement would happen, it would be with a great golfer who is playing "forward" tees. For the round this occurred, the setup was:  6,386 yards, par 71, 71.3/137

Not sure about anybody else, but I have ZERO problem believing that a guy like this could shoot a 57.  I don't dispute that at all.

It's the 3 holes-in-one in one round, with two of them occuring on par 4 holes that has me perplexed.

Not sure about anybody else, but I have ZERO problem believing that a guy like this could shoot a 57.  I don't dispute that at all.

It's the 3 holes-in-one in one round, with two of them occuring on par 4 holes that has me perplexed.

Yep, that's my exact position, too.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Not sure about anybody else, but I have ZERO problem believing that a guy like this could shoot a 57.  I don't dispute that at all. It's the 3 holes-in-one in one round, with two of them occuring on par 4 holes that has me perplexed .

Agree.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!