IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Ruptures Tendon, Out of British Open + Longer?

acetoolguy
Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it really lying though when Rory says he may play there on Saturday if rehab goes well and then the pro shop says he's definitely playing there and they just deny that he's definitely playing there? When the story initially leaked, there was probably a good chance McIlroy was not sure he was playing..he was just more hopeful. He needed to go through a lot of rehab this week first to see where he stands. After the rehab went well, then he decided to make the trip. My guess is they called the pro shop early in the week and said "IF rehab goes well, Rory will be coming in to play a practice round on Saturday."

You know that sounds like a politician, not a golfer. It's too much splitting hairs. How about saying nothing? I get that this is a very delicate situation but the "tickle and tease" that Rory and his people have been involved with all week has just not been very professional, imho. How about just going about your job? Do the rehab and then play. All the little tweets, denials, teases really put me off. And I say this as someone who is a BIG fan of Rory's. I actually hold my favorites to a HIGHER standard that I would guys like Patrick Reed and Sergio Garcia.

Someone in another thread complained about how the media is constantly telling us about Jordan's age. Well, this is one of the reasons. Because, he's 22 but way more mature than most his age or, to be quite frank, someone older like Rory who with this little game this week and quite a few other incidents over the past 3 years has shown how immature he still really is.

Since I am a fan of his, I feel I can be a little harder on him because I expect so much more. It's like when all the stuff went down with Tiger. I was VERY disappointed. Because I had bought into the media portrayal. It was even more annoying when so many members of the media said later "oh, we'd known about this stuff for years." Then why were you complicit in telling a false story?

Sorry to digress but, as a golf fan of over 40 years, I feel a little burned. Rory has such pure natural talent that I just want him to grow up some more. And that may be the number one reason that I find Jordan so much more compelling these days.

^ That is your choice. Sorry you feel that way. Many times assumptions and judging motives are a slippery slope. If I did that at work it would cause all sorts of problems. Obviously when you are talking about rooting for a golfer it isn't very important. He "could" be lying, he could be letting someone else handle the publicity, he could be keeping options open, etc. IMO...Rory is good guy from what I have seen. He is human and certainly isn't perfect, but I find nothing he has done since he hurt his ankle offensive.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. There is no privacy for a public professional athlete when he's doing something that involves his profession. None. Sure, if he wants to play in secret then he needs to find a place that is secret. Whistling Straits the weekend before the PGA is not secret. But the bottom line, for me, is that his people shouldn't have lied about it. This is a poor way to handle PR for the world's number one player. Then Rory teased all week with tweets and pics. If he wanted it private and secret, he shouldn't have done. That's the problem with PR and publicity. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to use it to benefit yourself you have to expect that it leaves you completely open elsewhere.

No, I don't think so. It's a practice round; he's entitled to privacy.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You feel burned by Rory for lying about not going to a practice round that he did end up going to???

I think you need to not take things so personally...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

When McIlroy posted to Instagram his ball toss off the lead ankle, I was a little annoyed at him not bring straightforward with his intentions but even he doesn't really know 100% what could happen, his recovery could regress. In retrospect, I see why he did it the way he did it. He was basically showing us what he was doing. He was transparent. Of course his PR team will try and protect his privacy. I totally see that. Compared to Woods' back recovery, we saw a lot more with McIlroy's ankle recovery. I think he and/or his PR advisors did a god job of showing just enough. That his ankle, the swelling was gone in about a week, a week and a half, it makes sense now that his recovery was so quick.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

^

That is your choice. Sorry you feel that way. Many times assumptions and judging motives are a slippery slope. If I did that at work it would cause all sorts of problems. Obviously when you are talking about rooting for a golfer it isn't very important. He "could" be lying, he could be letting someone else handle the publicity, he could be keeping options open, etc. IMO...Rory is good guy from what I have seen. He is human and certainly isn't perfect, but I find nothing he has done since he hurt his ankle offensive.

I made no assumptions. I based my observations of the facts that occurred this week. I certainly didn't say I found anything "offensive." I was disappointed in the lack of maturity I continue to see in Rory/his team.

I made no assumptions. I based my observations of the facts that occurred this week. I certainly didn't say I found anything "offensive." I was disappointed in the lack of maturity I continue to see in Rory/his team.

[quote name="Spiethismyhero" url="/t/83044/rory-mcilroy-ruptures-tendon-out-of-british-open-longer/150#post_1181908"] No privacy on a golf course when you are a professional golfer, and number one in the world. Simply doesn't exist either practically or philosophically. [/quote] [quote name="Spiethismyhero" url="/t/83044/rory-mcilroy-ruptures-tendon-out-of-british-open-longer/150#post_1181909"] That's not what I said. Please read the entire post in context. [/quote] Please multi-quote next time. [CONTENTEMBED=/t/69379/new-to-the-sand-trap-little-things-members-expect-and-ask-of-fellow-members layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED] If Rory wants privacy, he should get privacy. It's a practice round. Tournament round is different. But if his request to have some relative peace and quiet to re acclimate himself after returning from an injury, it should be granted. Plus, it's not as if they were supposed to tell people. They leaked it, or else Rory's team wouldn't have been upset.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbishop15

No, I don't think so. It's a practice round; he's entitled to privacy.

No privacy on a golf course when you are a professional golfer, and number one in the world. Simply doesn't exist either practically or philosophically.

I disagree.  It's a practice round a full week before the tournament - I don't see where he's under any obligation to publicly announce it, or even to confirm/deny leaks about same.  He is in fact number one in the world, and also recovering from an injury - which means that media and fans would be climbing all over the course to get a look at him and how his game is progressing.  With no ropes or marshals to hold the crowds back, I can imagine how all the "ba-ba-booey!!!" morons would behave.  Rory would hardly be able to hit a shot.  I can't say I blame him one bit for wanting to avoid a big, ugly mob scene.  Let the guy go out and hit the ball without a million people slobbering all over him.  If he was insisting on privacy during a Pro-Am, or a Thursday tournament round, I'd call bullshit and say he's out of his mind - but that's different than going out by himself to play a practice round that's not connected to the tournament itself in any way.

By the same standards, I guess if LeBron James was recovering from an injury, he'd be obligated to publicly announce any time he was going to pick up a basketball and do a shoot-around, or Rob Gronkowski should have to tell the whole world before he went to a field to run some patterns and maybe catch a few passes to test out a bad ankle or arm or whatever.  Doesn't compute with me, either practically or philosophically.

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I'll just agree to disagree. I just don't think public figures can have it both ways. You can't use PR/social media when you want to and when it benefits you and then not use it when you think it doesn't. It doesn't work that way. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

If it was supposed to be so "private" I still ask why post that ridiculous tweet with the plane and the flag? I just find that kind of tease to be immature and silly.

• Administrator
I'll just agree to disagree. I just don't think public figures can have it both ways. You can't use PR/social media when you want to and when it benefits you and then not use it when you think it doesn't. It doesn't work that way. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

If it was supposed to be so "private" I still ask why post that ridiculous tweet with the plane and the flag? I just find that kind of tease to be immature and silly.

You can find it "immature and silly," but this is not a case of him "having it both ways." He used his Instagram/Twitter/etc. for publicity and to connect with fans, etc. There's no privacy issue at play here.

I will add that I don't find it immature or silly. He is under no obligation to even use Instagram and Twitter. You pay nothing for it, and he is free to use it however he pleases, in ways that amuse him, benefit him financially, or whatever he wants to do with them. He owes you nothing. You are free to dislike him because of those things, but he owes you nada.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting hearing McIlroy talk about his left foot spinning.

Quote:
“To play golf it’s 100 percent,” he said. “To go back on a soccer pitch, it wouldn’t be quite ready. But to do what I need to do this week, it’s 100 percent.”
He said he played – and walked – 72 holes in Portugal.

“It actually feels better when I go at it as hard as I want because my left foot sort of spins out of the way whenever I hit the driver anyway,” McIlroy said. “If my left foot was to stay completely flat, like roll on to the left side like a lot of guys do, then it would obviously probably create a few problems. Because mine sort of spins out of the way, it takes a lot of pressure off it.”

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/golf/2015-08-10/rory-mcilroy-will-tee-it-wisconsin-pga-championship

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Interesting hearing McIlroy talk about his left foot spinning.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/golf/2015-08-10/rory-mcilroy-will-tee-it-wisconsin-pga-championship

I was more interested in the possible change of the top play. Rory should do well in this game if he wants to keep the top from Spieth.

Seems the winner prediction is not easy in this time.

Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!