IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The odds in golf seem awful to bet on...

In football you are playing against a spread and two teams.  You either hit that or you dont.  50/50

In golf, you have 1 golfer out of 150 or so entrants.  1/156 chance.

Also, if you pick a slate of 5 or 6, you are essentially making a +250(or so) money line bet similar to  baseball or hockey

Also, if you pick a slate of 5 or 6, you are essentially making a +250(or so) money line bet similar to  baseball or hockey

Betting $250 to win $100?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Speith off the tee vid.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

100 to win 250.

Not a perfect description (depending on who/if you win numbers change drastically) but just pointing out the more picks you make (to a point) the closer it gets to a 50/50 type bet you describe.

Correct me if I am wrong here.

Say the odds for the top 5 golfers are:

Spieth 11/2

Rory 9/1

DJ 11/1

Day 15/1

Scott 18/1

I place a $20 bet on each golfer, totally $100 wagered.

If Spieth wins, I win $110.  But then when you subtract the $80 wagered on the other 4 golfers, I really only win $30.  Not much of a payout.

If Rory wins, I win $180.  Minus the $80 lost on the others, I walk away winning $100.

So basically that covers your losses.

Tony  

Correct me if I am wrong here. Say the odds for the top 5 golfers are: Spieth 11/2 Rory 9/1 DJ 11/1 Day 15/1 Scott 18/1 I place a $20 bet on each golfer, totally $100 wagered. If Spieth wins, I win $110.  But then when you subtract the $80 wagered on the other 4 golfers, I really only win $30.  Not much of a payout.  If Rory wins, I win $180.  Minus the $80 lost on the others, I walk away winning $100. So basically that covers your losses.

Yup, that's why Spieth isn't worth the pick unless you are really sure he is going to win. His value isn't there. Rory at 9/1 isn't bad. You probably will never see his value this good ever again.

Changing the subject from gambling. A little sorry Tiger didn't make the Champion's Dinner last night? I think so. Don't want to thrash him but I think it was disrespectful to Rory who hosted. Curious to hear other thoughts.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Correct me if I am wrong here.

Say the odds for the top 5 golfers are:

Spieth 11/2

Rory 9/1

DJ 11/1

Day 15/1

Scott 18/1

I place a $20 bet on each golfer, totally $100 wagered.

If Spieth wins, I win $110.  But then when you subtract the $80 wagered on the other 4 golfers, I really only win $30.  Not much of a payout.

If Rory wins, I win $180.  Minus the $80 lost on the others, I walk away winning $100.

So basically that covers your losses.

So in this example just eyeballing the math -based on an average NET payout you are betting 100 to win 154 (234 avg win less the other 80 in losers), while the odds are suggesting you have about a 48% of one of your guys winning.  I have no idea what the expected value is here but point being, you pick a slate of guys sit back and have fun watching and as ChrisP says, hoping  you are in the hunt on Sunday afternoon.

Changing the subject from gambling. A little sorry Tiger didn't make the Champion's Dinner last night? I think so. Don't want to thrash him but I think it was disrespectful to Rory who hosted. Curious to hear other thoughts.

it wasn't in their Nike contract to attend that event together?

Tony  

Headless cap tossed to bodiless arm.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Anyone else think Patrick Reed if flying under the radar this week?  I know the big stat is FW%, but still I just can't write him off and he is at 55-1.

To cheap to pass up in my book.

LOL. He's already faded away. But heck he probably still thinks he's one of the 5 best golfers in the world :)

So I watched a lot of the news conferences. I watched a lot from The British Open, The U.S. Open and the Masters as well. Maybe it's just me that's noticed it, but every single golfer that gets interviewed, there's a Japanese reporter there and they ask the same question over and over and over to every different golfer: "What are you impressions of Hideki Matsuyama?"

LOL. He's already faded away. But heck he probably still thinks he's one of the 5 best golfers in the world :)

He's in 9th place for the FedEx Cup.

He may not be the best equipped for Whistling Straits......but he is WAY under valued at 55-1.

Idk if I'd call someone whose won four times in two years and once already this year "faded away".

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

So I watched a lot of the news conferences. I watched a lot from The British Open, The U.S. Open and the Masters as well. Maybe it's just me that's noticed it, but every single golfer that gets interviewed, there's a Japanese reporter there and they ask the same question over and over and over to every different golfer: "What are you impressions of Hideki Matsuyama?"

Yeah they used to do that with Ishikawa. But his ship has long sailed.

Riley

• Administrator

Odds are made by people placing bets...

Common misconception.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

PGA tee times and TV schedule:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/pga-championship-tee-times--which-include-rory-mcilroy-221257831.html

7:15 a.m. (10)/12:30 p.m. (1): Victor Dubuisson , Matt Kuchar , Charl Schwartzel
7:25 a.m. (10)/12:40 p.m. (1): Sergio Garcia , Bill Haas , Louis Oosthuizen
7:35 a.m. (10)/12:50 p.m. (1): Justin Rose , Brandt Snedeker , Geoff Ogilvy
7:45 a.m. (10)/1 p.m. (1): Bubba Watson , Paul Casey , Jim Furyk
7:55 a.m. (10)/1:10 p.m. (1): Hunter Mahan , Lee Westwood , Ernie Els
8:05 a.m. (10)/1:20 p.m. (1): Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler
8:15 a.m. (10)/1:30 p.m. (1): Tiger Woods, Martin Kaymer, Keegan Bradley
8:25 a.m. (10)/1:40 p.m. (1): Gary Woodland, Francesco Molinari, Marc Warren

12:20 p.m. (1)/7:05 a.m. (10): Davis Love III, Darren Clarke, Steve Stricker
12:30 p.m. (1)/7:15 a.m. (10): Jimmy Walker, Tommy Fleetwood, Justin Thomas
12:40 p.m. (1)/7:25 a.m. (10): Webb Simpson, Bernd Wiesberger, Shane Lowry
12:50 p.m. (1)/7:35 a.m. (10): Nick Watney, Ian Poulter, Joost Luiten
1 p.m. (1)/7:45 a.m. (10): Luke Donald, Graeme McDowell, Patrick Reed
1:10 p.m. (1)/7:55 a.m. (10): Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson, Brooks Koepka
1:20 p.m. (1)/8:05 a.m. (10): Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth, Zach Johnson
1:30 p.m. (1)/8:15 a.m. (10): Jason Dufner, Phil Mickelson, Padraig Harrington

Television schedule

Thursday, August 13 (First Round) - 2-8 p.m. (TNT)

Friday, August 14 (Second Round) - 2-8 p.m. (TNT)

Saturday, August 15 (Third Round) - 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. (TNT) and 2-7 p.m. (CBS)

Sunday, August 16 (Fourth Round) - 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. (TNT) and 2-7 p.m. (CBS)

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!