IGNORED

Tournament Etiquette

BallStriker
Note: This thread is 3194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

His behavior is actually similar to what we are told to do in junior tournaments to keep pace. Oftentimes they will tell us on the first tee to not wait for others to putt out of the landing area for the next hole is clear. Pace of play can get bad in junior tournaments without this, I've played a 7.5 hour round once.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

His behavior is actually similar to what we are told to do in junior tournaments to keep pace. Oftentimes they will tell us on the first tee to not wait for others to putt out of the landing area for the next hole is clear. Pace of play can get bad in junior tournaments without this, I've played a 7.5 hour round once.

Thats some pss poor teaching even in junior tournys.Not exactly the right way to teach the way the game is played.Playing faster is no excuse for bad etiquette.

Thats some pss poor teaching even in junior tournys.Not exactly the right way to teach the way the game is played.Playing faster is no excuse for bad etiquette.

I, for one, am thankful of it. I don't care if they watch me or not, whether there is perceived respect or not, because at the end of the day I'm hoping that I end up beating the stuffing out of them. I'd just rather not be out there for absurdly long rounds.

I, for one, am thankful of it. I don't care if they watch me or not, whether there is perceived respect or not, because at the end of the day I'm hoping that I end up beating the stuffing out of them. I'd just rather not be out there for absurdly long rounds.

Thats true.Personally I wouldnt need them watching me putt either but im saying if its taking that long to play then they should be taught how to play faster without giving up etiquette.

Maybe they are attacking the problem the wrong way.  Enabling slow play by sacrificing courtesy seems like a losing bargain in the long run on both accounts.  Maybe a better approach would be if junior golf adopted AND ENFORCED a stringent pace of play regimen with immediate penalty strokes and fairly quick trigger DQs for subsequent offenses.  That would speed up play PDQ.   A 7.5 hour round is far beyond absurd.

So maybe the young guy in the story does not deserve some of the harshness thrown his way, if he is merely doing what he has been told to do?

I am curious what the coaches at the HS and college level tell their guys about pace of play.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

They do this in my club in weekly competitions under "ready golf". You putt out, and go to the next tee, tee off before your foursome has finished putting. They're in a hurry to finish the round.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

He should not have been acting like that at all and I would have been pissed. It's very poor etiquette and just makes him look like a jackass and people like that aren't fun to play with. All you can do is ignore him or confront him which could make things worse.

He should not have been acting like that at all and I would have been pissed. It's very poor etiquette and just makes him look like a jackass and people like that aren't fun to play with. All you can do is ignore him or confront him which could make things worse.

Pretty harsh to call the individual guy a jackass if he is just doing what he has been told do to in junior golf.  If there has been any jackassery, IMO, it is in junior golf trying to solve a pace of play problem with a sacrifice of courtesy and etiquette.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 2 weeks later...
They do this in my club in weekly competitions under "ready golf". You putt out, and go to the next tee, tee off before your foursome has finished putting. They're in a hurry to finish the round.

So many people seem to be in a hurry to get nowhere in particular these days. Golf is a marathon, not a sprint. If you are getting worked up about the group in front of you maybe golf isn't the game for you? Mailman

Mailman

Isn't honors a rule rather than just etiquette?  If it was match play and he didn't have honors, you could make him rehit the shot - no penalty.

I guess there is no recourse in stroke play, just 200 years of tradition.

Occam's razor

Any chance he was playing different tees? We are out of order all the time in league because c-flight and 1st flight play tips and flights 2-4 are one up with 5th flight one up from there. Because of the way the holes are laid out there a some where honors would be silly so the play starts from the back tees and moves up.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!