IGNORED

Taking good balls from range buckets

Cupcakus
Note: This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A lot of courses will sell found, "lightly experienced" golf balls in the clubhouse for $1 a piece or some such. Would it be ok to take balls out of that tub without paying for them?

There's your answer....

No, but you did pay them for the bucket of balls at the range. Not exactly a good comparison.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but you did pay them for the bucket of balls at the range. Not exactly a good comparison.

You didn't purchase the range balls. You paid for the privilege of hitting them once, onto the designated range area, where they would be recovered and reused. In essence, you're renting the range balls. How the course decides to use the balls, whether to rent them or sell them is immaterial. At the point that the course recovers them, they belong to the course. They certainly don't belong to you or me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You didn't purchase the range balls. You paid for the privilege of hitting them once, onto the designated range area, where they would be recovered and reused. In essence, you're renting the range balls.

How the course decides to use the balls, whether to rent them or sell them is immaterial. At the point that the course recovers them, they belong to the course. They certainly don't belong to you or me.

They aren't losing money by someone keeping a regular ball from a bucket of range balls, they would be losing money if someone took it from the jar on the counter.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

A lot of courses will sell found, "lightly experienced" golf balls in the clubhouse for $1 a piece or some such. Would it be ok to take balls out of that tub without paying for them?

There's your answer....

I hadn't really thought about it in this manner. So, it's probably best to simply leave all balls alone on any course.

I always thought of it as removing trash, as I do any time I see it on the course. Also, the ball machines jam all the time and it is mostly premium balls that jam them because of their soft covers. I suppose, I'll just leave everything there in the future. Let the grounds keepers collect all the trash on the course too. Gives them something to do.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

to the OP:  If you have to ask, you probably know the right answer. What I told my kids growing up:  If it's not yours, it's never ok to take it. dave

There is a good quote to live by. Workers at a course I play regularly knows me well. Sometimes when I go to the range, some of them will actually give me pro v1 and v1x. I'll take those since they gave them to me. But when I find it in a range bucket, I will hit them back to the range - reserved for my driver of course. Haha

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave s

to the OP:  If you have to ask, you probably know the right answer.

What I told my kids growing up:  If it's not yours, it's never ok to take it.

dave

There is a good quote to live by.

Workers at a course I play regularly knows me well. Sometimes when I go to the range, some of them will actually give me pro v1 and v1x. I'll take those since they gave them to me. But when I find it in a range bucket, I will hit them back to the range - reserved for my driver of course. Haha

Technically, it's not theirs to give either, they work for the course. It's like if you took office pens home and gave them to your kids.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

They aren't losing money by someone keeping a regular ball from a bucket of range balls, they would be losing money if someone took it from the jar on the counter.

Theft has nothing to do with the intent that the owner has for the use or sale of an item. I imagine that you, like me, have all sorts of stuff in your attic that you'll likely never sell....or, for that matter even use again. The fact that you wouldn't be "losing money'" if it were lost, doesn't give someone the right to take that stuff from us.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I like how the course can find someone else's property and it's fine but someone else can find the same property and it's stealing.  You guys are great.

You "found" it in the same sense I might "find"money in your wallet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

There's your answer....

I hadn't really thought about it in this manner. So, it's probably best to simply leave all balls alone on any course.

Ah, the penny drops and the light comes on.

All of the moral ambiguities and ethical dilemmas vanish if we just remember one simple rule:  if it is not yours, do not take it.

Other than that all I see in this thread is a lot of rationalization for, and support, of stealing.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Since there are 300 million golf balls lost each year in the US and roughly 15,000 golf courses in the US that means each golf course has roughly  20,000 golf balls laying around somewheres.

What is there estimated value?

Perhaps the IRS should look into this hidden asset?

If you think there is a problem with it ask the responsible person. You think the pro would take a chance of alienating a customer in a declining market?

I always thought of it as removing trash, as I do any time I see it on the course. Also, the ball machines jam all the time and it is mostly premium balls that jam them because of their soft covers. I suppose, I'll just leave everything there in the future. Let the grounds keepers collect all the trash on the course too. Gives them something to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

There's your answer....

Ah, the penny drops and the light comes on.

All of the moral ambiguities and ethical dilemmas vanish if we just remember one simple rule:  if it is not yours, do not take it.

Other than that all I see in this thread is a lot of rationalization for, and support, of stealing.

I fully agree, you are on the golf course to play golf and not for any other reason.

I only pay $1 for basically used for one shot Pro-V1x, it's really not worth any moral dilemma.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I trade balls with good balls from the range. In my opinion and pro v1 does not deserve to be wasted on the range. not any other expensive ball I'm good condition. When I find top flutes or other old crap balls while I'm playing I save them and put them into my bag. While on the range I swap those crap balls with good balls because it doesn't make sense to waste the nice covers on some of these soft cover balls on a range.

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

The thread isn't about you hitting a ball into the range, the thread is about taking premium balls out of a bucket of balls you rented to use on the range.  Would you be okay if I went to the bowling alley and decided one of the loaner balls looked good and fit me well so I just threw it in my bag to take home? When you take property that isn't yours it's stealing.  You can attempt to justify it however you like, but it's property that doesn't belong to you and thus you have no right to it.

Jesus, I bet you're fun at a party?! It's a golf ball, get off your high horse! Hitting it into the range area doesn't automatically make it property of the club.

Jesus, I bet you're fun at a party?!

It's a golf ball, get off your high horse! Hitting it into the range area doesn't automatically make it property of the club.

It's stealing, that's what the threads about, stop trying to justify it.

Joe Paradiso

At my range these are balls hit with drivers by a couple of pros. They have about 9 holes worth of wear on them. I know whose they are from the brand and which tournaments are coming up. I save them for my driver, because I hit Callaway balls, and these are Nike or Titleist.

Technically, it's not theirs to give either, they work for the course. It's like if you took office pens home and gave them to your kids.

You've never taken pads or pens home from the office? Come on, that's a perk. Practically everyone has done it. Or at least did it until the late 90s when it got brought up on Seinfeld when Kramer did it.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

i take prov1s out of my range buckets all of the time. i also hit balls i find on the courses and along the side of the road ( live next to a fenced in private club)  i dont want at the range. the range is way ahead at this point.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Waaahhhh! Then the golf club shouldn't appropriate the balls hit into the range either should they? I buy a ball from the pro shop, tee it up on the 1st and slice it into the range. That's still my property, I have a right to ask for it back? But when have you ever seen a pro shop with "lost and found" golf balls for people to claim? Answer: NEVER! Have no doubt that the ball collectors take the good ones they find themselves, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I'm not trying to justify anything, just stating that if you think taking a decent ball from a range bucket is such a terrible act you're a sad act! Simple as.

maybe we should start collecting the tees we find that arent broken at the range and bring them to the front counter? :)   seriously, there are greater crimes. who is completely honest on their taxes raise your hand.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Agreed. Whether you justify it one way or another, it's still stealing. Stop kidding yourselves... At least be honest with yourself about it and say "I steal premium range balls". You may be a thief, but at least you'd be honest. Btw, I don't steal them.

Note: This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!