IGNORED

Do You Golf Alone?

RussianCarl
Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do You Golf Alone?

• Yes
    • No

I hope all of you guys who "drop a couple balls" aren't posting those scores for your handicap.

Wow, now that is hardcore.
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

I play alone sometimes, mostly because I don't know too many that golf. Tomorrow I'll be playing alone in the morning, just for one last time of the season (it's getting cold here in the Midwest).

In my bag:

Burner 460 9.5* Stiff
1, 2, 3 Hibore Hybird (Regular Steel)
Big Bertha 4-PW Regular TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Shafts 54* and 60* CG12 Wedges Piper Putter Tour i Balls Stand BagMy Home Course: Oak Brook Golf ClubMy Stats for This Season

I go out alot by my self because most people are working. i like it it is like going to the range and practicing

Driver: Pinemeadows Bloc Driver 10
Hybrid: Adams A2 3 and 4 iron stiff
Irons: A2 hybrid irons
Wedges: Golf Smith 56 and 60 Degree
Putter: Pinemeadows bladeBall: Nike Power Distance softBag: Datrek Icon

• 2 weeks later...
I use to play alone all the time, just in the last 8 months, I've been playing regularly with my buddy who's a 3 handicapp golfer and we play match play each time.

I like the consistent play with my buddy and the learning experience but I also met new friends playing alone.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

It is when i go play by myself that i come to realize the numerous mistakes that i have in my game . When there arent many players around i see to it that i hit half a dozen balls and play 3 of the worst lies . Doing this makes me more proficient and in the long run i do not fear anymore where my ball goes as i know i can get it out of the worst situation . Also my handicap has gone down because of the practise i devote to the game . The feeling is kinda eiree at first but once you get used to the solitude you can find peace and solutions to the numerous problems in life . After the game i come out refreashed and ready to tackle life .

In the first 4 or 5 years I played golf, I would go out alone more. I would even go out when then temperature was in the 30's. Heck, other than the temperature I loved winter golf - you've pretty much got the course to yourself, and the ground is so hard you get some wicked roll on your drives. The rates are mad-cheap, it's dead quiet, and with no one else around I could hit two or three balls and get some good practice in.

For the past 5-6 years though, I've become much more of a fair-weather golfer, and I tend to not go out by myself as much. It's largely due to the fact that I've increased my pool of available golf buddies.

I'm considering joining a club next year, and I think if I do I'll probably be golfing more often by myself.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

I am glad I read this thread. So encouraging...

I never played solo in my first season, but know it will happen and that is the only way I can play as much as I want to. I was fearing playing solo was somehow bad.

If you enjoy it, I will as well!

In my Bag:

Big Bertha 460 11* Driver
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Staff Hybrid 21* Staff Hybrid 24* Big Bertha 08 5-SW Irons Lob Wedge Vokey Oil Can 60* Newport 2 Studio Style Putter Balls

That's not correct either. You can practice putt in stroke play - they just make a local rule disallowing it on the pro tours.

Yes, except I think in the PGA sponsored events they sometimes allow it. See attached for 1993 Tom Watson example.

Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

IMHO...

When I first moved and got a gig at a golf course, I played alone almost all the time. I kept myself honest and saw some great progress/scores. Being the last person on a stellar golf course in Myrtle at sunset was paradise.

I still enjoy playing alone (I'm an introvert by nature), but playing with actual human beings is crucial to growing as a golfer. You help your playing partners look for their balls, have conversations, learn to wait to take your turn, must pay attention to where to walk on the green, etc.

The above situations throw off one's tempo and mental approach as opposed to playing alone, i.e., the "nerve factor". In the long run, and again, in my humble opinion, one will be a better golfer playing with others.

Most of my rounds playing with others are impromptu. I've been known to ask another or two to play 9 holes (who are just out on the range hitting balls) with me for free (since I'm an employee).

And heaven forbid I get a hole in one by myself.

Hey terrier , do you drink alone?

Ah I kill myself...

When I'm up north during the summer I play a ton by myself. I actually prefer it to a certain extent. But there could also be more than one meaning of "alone." I rarely, if ever, have a partner/golfing buddy, so I'm normally always alone and get paired up on the first tee.

But in both senses, yes, I do play alone.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

Hey

Ahh...one of those me speaketh of that I drag off the range.

You'll overcome the "playing alone" factor, my friend. And you'll get better because of it. Agreed -- "alone" can be subjective. I show up at the course(s) alone and get grouped with strangers. Isn't that one of the aspects of golf? "If you play golf, you're a friend of mine". Case in point: meeting others that are as addicted to the game as you are. Getting to meet superior players, less than superior players (that are excellent conversationists), and even tour pros that just want to play at that time of the day. As far as drinking alone, Mr. Horst: George Thoroughgood rocks. In fact, he's quite...dare I say..."good"?

Absolutely.

As an only child I have grown to like being alone. I probably play 8 out of 10 rounds alone. I catch slower groups and sometimes join up, or I might get paired with another single or two, but I prefer to go at it alone.

In the bag:
Driver: R7 Quad
Irons: Eye 2 + (Red Dot)
Wedges: Vokey (52, 56, 60)Putter: Anser G2iBalls: (Pro V1, NXT, DT Solo, Whatever is handy)

I play alone.

Me and my Dad got paired with a JERK this summer in New Mexico (Paa ko ridge). He had such horrible etiquette, and it was ruining one of our precious few rounds. We made a courteous break for it at the turn. Ahh so much better with out him . . . and his poor wife!

I'm hoping to play my first round in about 15 years tomorrow and I'll be doing it solo.
In My Sun Mountain C-130 Bag
Woods: System Q
Hybrid: System Q
Irons: Acer XP905
Ball: Other EquipmentPush Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart V1My Home CourseGreen Knoll Golf Course

When I need to spend time working on my game I prefer to do it alone. If I am going to go play for fun I will go with a couple of buddies.

Driver Tour Burner 9.5*
3 Wood Burner High Launch 14.5*
Hyrbid Burner Tour Launch 20*
Irons: R7 4-PW
Wedges: CG12 50* 56* Vokey Spin Milled 60*Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2Backup: 2-ball XG Center ShaftBall: Pro V1xAge: 16

• 1 month later...
Any of you guys golf alone?

I can't do it..
I've tried.. twice...

I end up talking to myself and by the fourth hole I am bored and just flailing at the ball to try and finish up so I can go home.

A buddy of mine does it all the time. He says its a great time to work on your swing without pressure. He also says he plays 2-3 balls on every hole. I guess for him it's more fun then going to a driving range.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Usually when I go alone they pair me up with others so that they can keep things moving... But I don't get bored at all when I'm playing alone I just continue to try and improve my game.

Currently in my 2008 Grom bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 19*
Irons: 775 cb 4-GWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58*Putter: "Callie"

Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!