IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

I honestly don't know anything about the "handicapping" system. I never really put much thought into it. How many rounds does it take to get one, and how do I go about getting one? Do all courses have a handicapping system?

I better get on the ball.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I honestly don't know anything about the "handicapping" system. I never really put much thought into it. How many rounds does it take to get one, and how do I go about getting one? Do all courses have a handicapping system?

Talk to your local club. They should be able to set you up.

You have a "15" listed in your profile and you've had it there as long as I can remember.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, I wanted something to show up on the handicap index. I knew I wasn't anywhere close to a 36. And I usually shoot in the low 80s, so I figured 15 would be pretty conservative as far as the handicap goes.

Although I think I did start it out at 12 originally. Then, I moved it to 15 for conservative purposes.

What is someone's handicap if they usually shoot anywhere from 79-85? That's what range I'm in about 95% of the time..

I guess I've just never really been that serious about getting a handicap index. I play just for fun about 99% of the time.

• Administrator
Well, I wanted something to show up on the handicap index. I knew I wasn't anywhere close to a 36. And I usually shoot in the low 80s, so I figured 15 would be pretty conservative as far as the handicap goes.

Probably about right, but get a handicap prior to the matches, OK? And put in your last 20 scores if you have them so that you can let me know what your index is in a few days. There are some free online services that let you keep a handicap, too.

Let's get this thread back to "What'd you Shoot Today?" now...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Last regular night of my couples league. My wife and I were officially eliminated from first place last week and we can't really move higher than 4th, so last night was more of a formality. Still, it was a perfect night to play and we both did reasonably well. She shot her best round in two months and I had a 38 (31 par). We knocked the 2nd place team out of the title hunt. Once again, the 52* was suspect, but much improved over the last two weeks. It only cost me 2 or 3 shots. OK, I only cost myself 2 or 3 shots with poor pitching. I was actually pretty steady with 4 pars, 3 bogeys and 2 doubles (52* struggled here). All I have left to shoot for is the scoring title. There are four of us within 7 strokes. I am 5 shots out of first, so I will need a little help from two guys. I need to shoot 34 to get my average under 40 for the year. I shot 33 last year, but my low this year is 35.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Shot 82 yesterday - 43 on the front, 39 on the back. And that's with an eagle on a short par 5 ... just couldn't make those 5 foot par putts yesterday. 82's not bad for me, but should have been lower.

Last 3 times I've been out 42, 43, 41. The 41 today was painful with 5 par putt's lipping out. Finally putting the tee ball in the fairway consistently, which is a plus.
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Tour, Aldila NV-75 Green
3-wood: Nike Sasquatch, Stock Diamana
Irons: Nike Pro Combo Forged, Stock Speed Step
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54*,60*
Putter: Titleist/Cameron Red X2Ball: Nike One BlackHome Course: Germantown Country Club

41 today again, still can't get the flat stick hot. Three 3-putts over nine holes is ridiculous even if the greens are rolling at 13.
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Tour, Aldila NV-75 Green
3-wood: Nike Sasquatch, Stock Diamana
Irons: Nike Pro Combo Forged, Stock Speed Step
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54*,60*
Putter: Titleist/Cameron Red X2Ball: Nike One BlackHome Course: Germantown Country Club

• Administrator
I shot around a 78 today. Played really well, but wasn't actually putting things out on the second nine as we played at a course called Harbor Ridge in preparation for a high school match there. I'm not sure whether the team actually took notes or what, but I hope they did.

Reached #5 there, a 502-yard par 5, with a 3W and a 5-iron.

72 (37-35) on a nice par 71 Nicklaus course down here called Salem Glen . Played the tips @ over 6800. Hit 9 fairways and 13 greens but 32 putts.

15 pars...2 bogeys...1 birdie.

The last 4 rounds have been some good numbers, but I've been really close to going low if I'd make some putts. I under-read a few that I thought I hit perfect. A little frustrating but I can't be too mad...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
I played the back nine yesterday in 36 (nine straight pars) for two-day total of 73. Today: Bogey, Birdie, Par, Bogey, Bogey, Par, Birdie, Par, Par.

They aerated the back nine today, so the front today was on aerated greens while the back (yesterday) was on normal greens.

Hmmm, guess I should post the score as a normal round. Online...

• Administrator
Shot a pretty grinding 76 today, 39/37. If E is par and + is bogey (and - is birdie), the round went like...

E+E EE- ++E EE- EE+ E+E

I got a little tired on the back there and played just a little sloppy, but today was one of the most grinding kind of days I've had in a long time. I was really proud of the way I managed myself today. I focused on nearly every shot and really shaped the ball well off the tee.

After work I was the fifth of a group of a husband and wife along with two students of mine that wanted playing lessons. While trying to juggle being courteous to the couple, along with giving swing tips I had about the worst ball striking I've had in some time, and still managed to pull out an even par 35, with two birdies and two bogeys.

I've been on quite a roll lately, *knock on wood*. I haven't shot more than 1 over in the last six 9s I've played. Even holed a 9 iron for eagle a few days back in a group with a member, the atheltics director, and his friend in the group. Wound up 3 under only having played 7 holes that day.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator

I shot a 75 today for a net 68 (par 71) at Chatauqua Golf Club's Lake course. I started the round with a perfect drive and a pitching wedge to two feet. On the next hole I hit a 3W and another pitching wedge to two feet. I got a stroke on the first hole, too.

I was two under most of the front but bogeyed 7 and 8, one of which was from a bunker that had no sand in it. It went into another bunker that actually had sand, I put the shot to two feet, and made for bogey. Grrrrr. Two of the four balls I mishit all day were on one hole, so that was a bogey there too. The other was just a bad lie in the rough. 35 on the front.

On the back, I three-putted twice and failed to get up and down twice. I hadn't had a put longer than 10 feet for so long I had a very difficult time putting on the back. On the other five holes I didn't bogey, I lipped out three birdie putts and two others grazed the holes.

Today's round was in the once-a-month "third Thursday" senior travelling league. I've played in a few now. $50 to enter, and I won four skins (two net, two gross), the overall Southern Point (with my 86-year-old 27-handicap partner), and the low gross. So, $167 in winnings for $50 entry fee. Not too shabby.

BTW, we had 78 Southern Points (modified - 1pt for bogey, 2 for par, etc.). The twosome we played with had 77, and they had a double bogey on the last hole that cost them that point. One other team had 78 points, but we won because they say the sudden death playoff begins at the first hole, and I had those two 3s to start.

Unfortunately, the way the league is set up, the winners have to plan next month's event. Fortunately, as it's late October, it's at my home course!

After 3 years of trying I finally qualified to the finals of my County Open tournament... just to make a total ass of myself. 85, not even sniffing the cut line for the second round. It wasn't anything specific that wasn't working, just 11 bogey's, a double and 5 pars. I think I'm ready for a retirement... or at least a break in play, maybe I'm just golfed-out.

Started Double, Double, Double, Double. Thats what happens when you are putting from 20+ feet for bogey. Pars on 5, 6 and 7 and a pretty good bogey on 8. Had to hit a low cut from behind trees to an elevated green from 200 yards out. It looked perfect but took a hop to the left at the end. Tough chip and a lipped out 10 footer. Finished like I started with a double for 46.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• Administrator

Played my uncle and one of my cousins today and shot a 76. We played a combined-score "me+cousin vs. uncle+other cousin" match. $3 Nassau with birdies counting as a point. Going to 9, we were one down, and my uncle said "well, we can't lose!" So I put my approach to four feet and knocked the putt in for birdie to win +1 on the front. Heh heh.

On the back, we were even going to 16, and I birdied from two feet away. Then we won the last two holes, too, to win by 4 on the back. $9... however will I spend it all?

Anyway, 39 + 37 = 76. I had three birdies today, and only one was from outside of four feet (about 30 feet on #5, my uncle birdied too from 15 feet). That's more than I usually have in a round, that's for sure.

• Administrator

Played 8 and 9 as a warmup and then played the back nine. Shot 37 with two birdies and three bogeys, two of which were three-putts. When you haven't practice putted, you can't be sure how fast the greens are rolling. One birdie was a tap-in, one was on the 18th where I rolled in about a 50-footer.