IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

I shot 87 yesterday in brutal South Florida winds, the type of day I'll wish upon the pros at Doral in a couple of weeks.

My chipping and putting were actually improved. I dumped a Vokey 58 for a 54, and decided to open the face on a Hogan 56 for lob shots. That paid dividends, more what I've always done. But I struggle bigtime with drives into the wind. Seemed like every hole was into our face, and across to the right. It was incredible how many guys in groups behind us were playing from one fairway to their right, and at the far edge of that fairway or even the rough. It was a slicer's nightmare.

I'm not good enough or long enough for winds like that anymore. As a teenager I would have roped it and never noticed.

My Haig Ultra irons are producing a nice high draw but it starts too far left. I went from Apex 4 in Hogan Grinds to R flex in these irons, plus I lenghtened them, so the flex is softer that I'm accustomed to.

shot 86 on a 7000 yard course in 25+mph winds. it was a great ball striking day but due to a 2 month layoff I had no feel with my irons. I misclubbed at least 4 greens and missed a lot of short putts. Not a great round, but for the first time ever playing the course, under those conditions, not too surprising. Can't wait to play a course with normal wind conditions and shoot 75.

At one point I hit 8 iron 125 into the wind, 3 holes later, 195 downwind... it's usually my 160 club so it was a 30 yard wind give or take. Makes you appreciate guys that can play the stinger so well!

Keep practicing your short game all....

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

Mostly 3-iron into a 25-30 mph wind at the driving range.
Pushed most of them right.

And a few swings with the 5 iron at the end, which felt easy in comparison.

It was so darn windy I wasn;t going to go at first, but I figured it was a good day for a low-lofted club and why not face my nemesis, the 3-iron.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I made my 2009 debut yesterday with a 103 at a pretty easy 6,000 yard course here in Jersey that I've played 12-15 times. Not bad considering the layoff from winter. I feel like I'm really improving and I think the days of me shooting 120+ are finally well behind me (thank god). It feels like I created a solid foundation for myself with all the studying and practicing I put in last summer.

This year I'd love to be in the high 80s consistently, and I think if I keep reading and working on my game, I should be well on my way by the end of the summer! Wish me luck!!

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ive played quite a bit so far this year, anytime the temps are over 40. But it was in the low 60's on Wedsnday and I shot my low round of the year. 73 with 5 birdie's. Ive been shooting 77 to 82 but my putter was hot that day.

Woods: Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 909 F2
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue
Irons: Titleist AP-2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey spin milled
Putter: White Hot 2 ball.

Just finished playing, seriously windy, like 30 mph at times. I shot 41-47 for an 88. Actually pretty respectable. I had a couple of holes on the back 9 where my putting was affected by the wind and I had a couple of 3 putts. n nAlso had a tripple on the front 9, the other holes were pretty good. All in all not too bad.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

I recently played Doral: Blue Monster from the tips and shot 78. What a course that is. The course is not difficult until you get to the 240 yard par 3's that are dead into the wind and you have to hit a long 3 wood to a peninsula of a green. What a golf course though. Just incredible.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

We have had a pretty heavy Winter and I have not played since October, but today my son's 5th grade basketball team "shot" their way into next weeks championship game.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I have a couple of high school friends that belong to Hallbrook CC. The wind chill was 24* and I shot a 104(normal for me). If was fun. I was able to make a few shot but my putting was pretty bad. Oh well. Snowing today and off to another track on Thursday. I am convinced that I can break 90. Putting will be the key for me.

Driver:TaylorMade R580 XD Stiff
3 Wood:Wilson FY-brid 15*
Hybrid:Adams A3 Boxer # 3
Irons:Titleist Square Toe 4
Irons:Callaway X-20 5-PWWedges:Adams Tight Lies GT SWPutter: Ping Anser 2Ball: Wilson Ultra or Precept Lady IQ180 or Bridgestone e6+

+2 over 7 holes.

Could have been much better because I hit 6/7 greens and missed some very make-able putts (6', 8', 5', 8' and 5').
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Today I shot 86, smashing my previous personal best of 90..

Very happy and attribute my score to course management, didn't pick up a single penalty (usually I take 3-4) and have happily shaved a full stroke from my handicap! (20.4 to 19.1)

I shot 82 (41/41) today in WINDY Florida.

I might have broken 80 except I knew I was close and felt the pressure, 3 putting the last 2 greens.

PS - It made me realize the pressure the pros must feel when their playing well actually means something.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

Today was good, 78. I played in the same group as a guy who knew me 25+ years ago, so I probably concentrated more and felt pressure to play close to the same level as when we played often.

I also brainstormed to play without a glove, like my first 45 years on this planet.

Some tips during the match play were worthwhile and I incorporated them. You always get quite a bit of amateur-directed stuff from Johnny Miller, and Faldo/Azinger went that route several times also:

* Right shoulder moving toward the target (Faldo)

* Stand tall while chipping (Azinger)

* Grip the top of the club while chipping instead of choking down (Miller)

* Keep your right shoulder high while chipping (Faldo)

* Left heel off the ground to avoid loss of distance, if you're 45-50 or older (Miller)

Miller is incredibly sharp. That's exactly when I had noticeable loss of power and distance, a few years ago at 45. In particular, I can't believe how much of a difference there is between draw and fade yardage as I've approached 50. Power fades are for the young.

played 9 in the freezing cold
8 over 36 for a 44... which is usual
hit 4 fairways much better than recently
2 girs
18 putts
damn snowman and a triple kicked my ass... both on par 4's
lots of scrambling... i need more girs... grrrr
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Sunday the wind was blowing hard, about 20 to 30mph. It was a cross wind on most holes. I was 3 under and bogey free through 12, but missed a couple 4 footers for par after a few loose chips and dropped back to 1 under. Coming in, I made birdie on 16 and hit a great 3 hybrid from 235 in a heavy right to left wind to 15 feet on 18 and sank the putt for eagle and a 4 under 68!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Today was pretty good again, 79. I'm not complaining about anything below 80 in these South Florida winds, even if I botched several birdie opportunities on par 5s today.

It was another slicer's nightmare cross wind. You should have seen the fairway immediately to the right of the driving range. Loaded with range balls, literally dozens.

I'm starting to believe more in reshafting. I prefer smaller headed drivers but in general they had shafts that were either OEM, or too stiff for me at this stage. I made some changes last week and today I had my longest drives in years on four specific holes, thanks to an old 225cc Steelhead III 9 degree driver at 44 inches, newly reshafted with a Fujikura Vista Pro R flex. Not obscene distances, but 265-282, which is great for me. My typical "good" drives are 250-255 in recent years with 460cc garbage that I can't get through.