IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

87 on a par-68 course today (Brookside - in Moore: 9 holes, played twice).

__the stats__

1 triple

4 doubles

8 bogeys

5 pars

4/10 fairways

8 GIR

1 penalty

40 putts -- I suck

Weird moment of the day #1:  I chipped on, then the next guy chipped on, hit my ball, and knocked my ball into the hole.  (Yes, I replaced it and two-putted after that, but still cool to see.)

Weird moment of the day #2:  I hit a 7-iron on a 140-yd par-3 (blue flag), and it felt great, looked great.... hit the cup and bounced high and over the back of the green nestling into some tree roots ---- from stoked to double bogey bummer in a single bounce.

I thought I was alone in such depression

After shooting 79 (first shot OOB) for 17 holes on Monday (picked up on 11 after another OOB playing a 4 ball and didnt have a chance) I figured today I cold improve with a little more concentration.

The great golfing god decided differently and gave me a 98 .

How can striking the relatively well 1 day desert me a few days later?

I live in eternal hope.

Keep trying .

1 day it might happen

Yesterday (7/7/11) was a club tournament at my home course (Rancho Park). In the previous tournament, I had an ESC-98. The following weekend, I went out and shot 85 at SCGA ("Rancho California") then an 86 at Costa Mesa muni. Instead of dwelling on that, I went out and shot an 87 at this tournament that should have been lower. After an 8 on the par-5 fourth, I hit a bad tee shot on 5. I pitched out and then hit a wedge to a foot and made the par putt. Next hole: fairway, green, putt, tap-in for par. Next hole: fairway, green, mediocre putt, nail a par putt. Next hole, par 3: green, good putt, tap-in. Next: fairway, green, mediocre putt, good putt for par. Five pars in a row, which I believe is my personal best. I played the second nine poorly, starting off bogey-double-bogey, before making another par. Two bogeys followed, then a double, then another par. Then, on the par-5 18th, I hit a fine drive (so did Palmer that one time he played this hole) and had about 260 to the green. Like an idiot, I pull a utility metal when I could have hit 6-iron PW. I hit that O.B., drop my next at the same spot, hit the same club exactly where I first intended, but didn't pitch it well enough to make the bogey save. Walked away with a fairly disappointing 7 for an 87. I'll know soon enough how well that does, standings wise.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Decided to hit the range today instead of playing to work on some things including putting.  First 4 putts, holed 4 30 footers in a row.  Then I thought, "That's not possible", so I started putting like I normally do. Still working on playing laterally on most of my shots instead of rotationally.  Definitely what's giving me so much distance these days.  4-irons were flying 230 slightly downhill.  Drives were long gone.  I couldn't see them past 270 or so.  I only assume they didn't go sideways. The ball really feels squishy.  I guess that's because I'm actually compressing it now.  That takes some getting used to.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Shot an 85 today at Twin Shields golf course in Maryland!  The is my best score by 6 strokes, had never broke 90 before today.  I was completely in the zone today and my ball striking has vastly improved since taking lessons from the Class A PGA Professional I've been seeing.  (Marty Johnson @ Redgate).  Finished with birdie par birdie par birdie!  Too bad I had two pesky 7s in there or I would have been in low 80s!!

Had the most freakishly awful round today.  Playing a short par 62 executive.  I hit 14 greens in regulation and I three-putted every single one .  I three-putted 16 times today , once from only 4 feet .  If that isn't the yips I don't know what is.  Been pretty consistently shooting only 3 over at this place normally.

Tomorrow is another day and I think it will be spent on the practice green!  Might be time to demote my current putter to the closet for a few rounds too.

Brad

Wow, I've been doing a lot of reading in this thread, I have a long way to go. I played my last game maybe a week ago, weather was sunny low 80's with a soft breeze and I shot a 112  granted this is my first year. I have a consistenst slice to the left that I need to work out of my game, plus I'm learning that my swing is kinda slow, I think I may need to break down and start paying for some lessions :-)

79 on Friday at the club gold medal tourney . The champ shot 71.. I won the longest drive of the day and the prize is a Johnny Walker Blue Label Whisky . [IMG]http://tapatalk.com/mu/744d05b3-5676-67b9.jpg[/IMG] 75 on Sat on the same 9s. Was even par through 16 but blew the last 2 holes with bogey and double bogeys .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Played today at a new course, probably my best ball striking day ever.  I shot a 101 on their 18 hole course and a 46 with 4 GIRs on their 9 hole course right after.  I feel like I could have broke 100 during my first round but I got the driver out twice and got an 8 and 9 on the holes.  I need to learn to keep it in the bag sometimes!

i had an 80 yesterday at my home course... things were clicking.. i felt like this was going to be the first sub 80 round of the year.. no such luck.. missed some short/easy ones early on... the quest for a break 80 round in 2K11 continues!

Tour Burner 9.0 Reax Stiff
X-Speed 3+ Aldila DVS Stiff
S57 Blades... Rifle 6.0 Flighted
CG12 Black Wedges 52, 56, 60
Craze-E Orig ProV1x UPro

Shot 79 (+6) on 7/9.  8 GIR, 5 FWs, 30 Putts, 3 tap-in birdies on par-5s.

That's two consecutive sub-80 rounds since ditching my game-improvement shovels and going back to an old set of MBs.  I just can't seem to get comfortable with the oversized look of the newer equipment.

Most exciting aspect of the round is that I seem to be regaining the driving distance I had when I played as a teenager.  After playing very little golf over the past 14 years (maybe twice a year), when I came back to the game in February I noticed that my average tee shot had fallen way off - averaging right around 250, compared to about 275-285 at my peak in high school.  On Saturday my GPS calculated my average driving distance at 267 yards, with the longest being 287.  And this is at sea level, no wind, and early in the morning on soft fairways. :)

Shot 43-42 on my home course. The 42 is my best nine, and the 85 is my best round of the year. It's the first time I've broke 90 since returning to golf this year.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5

Callaway X2Hot Hybrids 16*, 22*, 25*

Callaway XR Irons 6-AW

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54*,59*, 64*

Odyssey Metal-X Milled Rossie Putter

Bag Boy Revolver LE bag

Bag Boy Quad cart

Been scoring between 81 ad 83 (or +9-+11) consistently now for weeks. Last round 83 with a double par at a long par four where I had a very tight line to the green with my second, ball hit two trees before going out of bounds. A bad chip and a pulled putt to seal the deal. Recovered with a double bogey at the easiest par3 on the course :). Managed a birdie the next hole though. Some stats, hit 12 out of 14 fairways, 14 GIR and 37 putts. Still, I feel I'm getting closer to breaking 80 and staying there.

My Aerolite bag contains:

VR Tour Driver Project X 5.5
904F 17* 4-wood Sabre Stiff
MP68 3-PW Project X 6.0
52* Vokey Spin Milled -wedge

Redwood ZB

I prefer a ball, but may occasionally hit almost anything.

Originally Posted by iPutt

Shot a 93 for my career best. The funny thing is is that it came on the hardest course I've played all year (Bethpage Red). My driver wasn't even working that well but I was able to really take advantage of my short irons and short game and really grind for a score. My goal of breaking 100 for the 2011 season is over and now we move on to breaking 90

Well, I last posted here after shooting my 93 and talked about my new goal of breaking 90. Now I've been there, done that . Shot an 87 today at the same course, Bethpage Red. Started out the on the front 9 with a somewhat unimpressive 48. Only one par which came on the 4th hole where I hit possibly the best 7 iron of my life, 165 yards into the wind to 15 feet. Mostly unimpressive golf and some screw ups like the penalty stroke on the 7th where I hit the ball with my practice swing. Also on the 8th hole, I proceeded to drive it 295 yard right down the middle (downwind on rock hard fairways, still my longest drive ever though), hit it to about 20 feet with my 56* wedge, and then 3-putt for bogey. So after this nine, I really tried to refocus myself and just concentrate on each individual shot because I was hitting it pretty well up to this point. Ended up shooting a 39 (+4) on the back for my best 9-hole and 18-hole score. 5 pars, 4 bogeys, almost flawless. I still left a couple shots out there today (especially on the front) which proves to me that I still definitely have room to improve. The back wasn't even spectacular golf, just hit some greens and dropped some putts. One highlight was the open faced 4 hybrid out of a fairway bunker and onto the green on the 18th hole to save bogey (I had already went bunker to bunker on my second shot). Another was the 3 hybrid up the hill on 15th hole for the GIR which I then 2-putted for par. Overall I just drove the ball great today and putted well down the stretch for my career best 87.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

I've been seriously revamping my swing ( http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/47777/my-swing-joelcochran ) to incorporate some Stack and Tilt elements. Saturday was the first round with it and I shot a terrible 91.  I just couldn't get off the tee.  Sunday was better with an 83 but I felt I was playing recovery golf all day because of my poor tee shots.

Yesterday things started to turn around.  I had my best drives ever on 7,8,9,11,13,14,15, and 16.  I had a popup at 12 and the nasty low pull-hook on 18 (double crossed trying to fade the ball).  I even had a real 300 yard drive: I was 213 out on a 515 yard par-5 and the tees were back.  Unfortunately, before that I had a double and a quad (both on par fives).  I had a three putt par and missed 5-6 putts within 10 feet to shoot an 84 including two short birdie putts.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

98 (55 + 43) on a par-72 course today (Lake Chabot in Oakland).   Quite hilly after Oklahoma courses...  A fun challenge, but I played terribly for the first nine.

__the stats__

1 quad

2 triples

4 doubles

9 bogeys

1 pars

1 birdie

6/10 fairways

2 GIR -- I suck d1_bigcry.gif

3 penalties

29 putts

A couple days ago I tied my lowest round ever of 36. Back-to-back bogeys followed by back-to-back birdies. I really rolled the ball uncharacteristically well. Could've very easily gone two-under, as I missed a four footer for par on 4, and a 6 footer for three straight birdies (which I've never done) on 8. Hit the ball really well, though nonetheless. Second time I've shot even par, but this time I did it from the "tips" (only 3000 yards )

Played my first round of the year yesterday (played a nine-hole, executive style last month) and shot a 104 (51/53) with way too many balls OB. 31 putts with a couple lip-outs.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades