IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Yesterday afternoon I got to play a course I have not played in almost 2 years.  I love to play it as it is an older par 71 track that has some of the best greens available to the public in the area.  I was paired up with one of the course members who looks to be a low 80's/high 70's player.  He was a great host and it was like having a caddie with me to explain what I could/should see, especially on the greens.  He estimated them to be about 12-1/2 on the speed (for comparison the course I normally play is probably a 6 on a really good day, the greens are slow and bumpy).  These were buttery slick and tricky in how they break.  The fairways were well manicured as any shot in the short grass was easy to get in the air for the next shot.  The rough, bermuda, punished you - had a 6" chunk w/the lob wedge because I was afraid of blading it to next week.  So how did it go.....wound up shooting a 92, partly due to course mismanagement on my part (dang low hanging limbs) and a number of triple putts on the greens.  A good number of holes were scrambles to make par of which 7 wound up being doubles.  I did manage to get a couple of pars and best hole of the day was 18, a 370 par 4 that I made in 2 (driver and 3h) with a 5' putt for birdie....which he recommended playing it to break a little to the right.  I drained it dead center.   Best part of the day was making a new friend, discussing the nuances of life and how golf can be one of the best outlets ever.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot 83 today, with 15 GIR/nGIR, 29 putts, and 3 penalty strokes.

Started off with a great drive on #1, then thought I hit an almost perfect approach but it flew the green, although I managed to get up and down for par from the back rough.

Then a lost ball +2 penalty on my tee shot on #2 resulted in a double bogey. Probably could have found it if I looked a bit more carefully because it wasn't terribly off line, but I after finding a tick in my hair a couple weeks ago, I wasn't excited to walk around in trees/brush looking for a ball.

Another penalty stroke driving into a red staked hazard on par-5 #8 also resulted in double bogey.

Aside from the two doubles on the front nine, it was a low event round. Full swing felt pretty good except for driver. I putted well and short game was solid except for two difficult lies that I didn't get good outcomes from (but this was more due to mediocre approach than bad short game).

Still a little stuck between old and new downswing motions, so this week I plan to really slow things down to boot the old move out for good.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Shot 84 in a round with my nephew. I blocked my first tee shot of the day and thought, oh boy, here we go. I managed to minimize the damage with a bogey on the par 5. From there, I was pretty pleased with my round and enjoyed the time with my nephew.

I have got to figure out why I'm pulling some of my putts. I had 4 legit birdie chances inside 8' and only made one of them. I've struggled the last couple weeks with this. Not sure if it could be my left hand pressure being to weak? I'll try to get some time on the practice green and experiment with it.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Last Thursday I played 18 with my bro and grandpa and I finally broke 80! I holed my approach from about 140 on the first hole for an eagle and that got me going. I also birdied the ninth to turn in 38, and I birdied the tenth to get back to +1.

After pars on 11 and 12 I unraveled just a little bit on 13-15, going bogey-double-bogey. Then I parred the last three holes to come in with a 39 for a final score of 77.

The best part about this whole round was on the last hole: a 160-yard par 3 over water. Only needing double to break 80, I knew all I really needed was one more solid shot. The second it was in the air, I had no doubt it was good, and it landed on the green and finished 25 feet from the hole. I rode up to the green knowing I’d finally done it, and I two putted with ease. I would’ve liked to make the birdie putt to shoot 76, but I was no doubt thrilled regardless.

This also dropped my handicap from a 12.8 to 11.8. I can now check breaking 80 off my list of golf achievements!! 😁

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

86 (44/42) adjusted to 85

Fairways: 10/14

GIR: 10/18

putts: 38. (4 three-putts, and a 4-putt). I HATE putting!!!

I did have 2 birdies and shot +1 on last 5 holes so I finished well. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Snuck out and played Pinehurst #8 today.  Played with some Guests from Michigan.  Tee times for Members are hard to get this holiday week.

Par on the 1st hole which is always good, leaving the birdie 2 inches short. Next 3 holes were bogey,par,bogey.  Short par 3 was next and almost had the ace! Hit a baby draw right of the flag and it spun back under the cup. Tap in. Par on the next 3 holes and a closing bogey for a front nine 38.  Back nine started with a par and continued with pars the next five holes. Bogey on 16.  The 17th par five I reached in two and had an eagle putt that looked good all the way to the cup but just ran by a few inches, birdie felt good after the previous hole bogey. Finishing hole is an uphill 417 par 4.  Wind was making it play a bit longer, maybe another 15 yards. Pulled the tee shot left a bit and you just can’t miss left on this hole. Had a bit of luck and hit past the bunkers on the left and it kicked right somehow.  Was left with 170 to the hole. Hit the hybrid on a string at the hole leaving it about 18 feet uphill. Missed the birdie attempt and got the closing par. Shot  even on the back,36 for a round of 74.

27 putts!  Up and down all day, on the front I only hit one fairway and two greens. 13 putts overall (5 one putts). Back nine I started hitting fairways and greens. 5 FWY and 4 GIR’s and 4 one putts to save pars. One bunker all day, a fairway bunker that produced the only bogey on the back.

Shot 50 on Sunday.  Driving was a little better with hitting 4 fairways but 2 of my misses were lost balls which really hurt.  One I thought I should have found but did not.  My putting was sup-par with a -1.3 SG.  My problem was not sinking any 6-8 footers thus lost @ 1/2 stroke on those holes.  GG has 125-150 Approach as my worst SG category so I really need to spend some time on that.  I blew it on a Par-5.  I had a great drive then hit for the green in two with my 3H.  I ended up in a greenside bunker with a short-sided pin.  I was able to get out of the bunker but ended up in the rough on the opposite side.  I was able to count that a nGIR but had a bad chip then a 2-putt for bogey.  To be so close after 2 then end up with a 6 pissed me off, but that is why they put bunkers there, to make it harder.  Looking back I should not have attempted to make the green in 2.  That hole has a bunker @ 20 yards in front of the green and both left & right green-side bunkers.  The margin for error was very slim.  I'll call that an error in my shot-zone. I should have just tried to lay-up short of the front bunker then pitch on in 3 for a GIR.  Picture of green complex is below.

image.thumb.png.a02b1c9a5e96ba1bf772258f20e9fbac.png

Edited by StuM
Added picture of hole.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

This feels like a first posting to this thread two days in a row.

Played #4 today, White Tees at 6,428 yards.  Today the ball striking was if not the best all year, hitting all 14 fairways, and 12 GIR’s!  One birdie on the front and that was it! Putting was, well average at best. Of those 12 GIR 11 were very make able, just missing or burning the corners.  35 putts to be exact.  38/37, 75.  

Decided to play Minnesott today from the golds (just over 5400 yds, 66.1/112 rating).  Have to say that weather was about perfect as were the greens and fairways.  Started off with pars on 1 & 2, never have done that one.  Followed them with three bogies, two more pars, a double on 8 with a bogie on 9.  Finished the front with a 42.  Was thinking "Okay, the good holes are done time for the blow ups."  Bogied 10, which is pretty standard, parred 11 which I never do.  Birdie on 12 and was feeling like this could be my best round ever.  Went bogie - par - double - bogie - birdie and bogie for a 40 on the back.  Overall an 82.  What was the difference - I have to say decent tee shots although I was on 4 of 14 in fairways hit.  Still even on the misses I was just off the short stuff or in a position to play out and still make forward progress.  Approaches were good, even a few that bounced on and rolled off by maybe 2ft for 5 of 18 GIR, with another 4 nGIR.  Chips/bump and runs/pitches were landing where I wanted, rolling out to near the cup for easy 1 putts.  Best hole of the day was 17.  Sliced it into the trees on the right hand side.  2nd shot called for a low flier that could land short of the green and rolled out.  Choked down on the 5i and hit it near perfect as it stayed low and cleared the low hanging stuff.  I saw it hit and roll toward the green.   I was hoping for at least a good chance at par.  When I come around the bend the ball was sitting 3' from the cup, leaving me an easy tap in for birdie.   

image.thumb.png.329fe63ec18c0f76ca305c85af3f7429.png

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Not so good today - was a 98 with a lot of double bogies (5 total) and 2 triples.  Just could not seem to get the club accurately on the ball.  I want to blame the pace of play - was totally start/stop for the first 5 holes.  Overall, it was okay with no penalty strokes in play.  Best part of the day was the weather - excellent temps / humidity.  How was the score - 98 (51 / 47), 5 of 14 fairways hit off the tee (a lot of scrambling today).  Only 3 GIR, this is where the ball striking was way off - this is where I struggled.   Several approach shots with the irons were mishit fat.  Overall it was a good day to enjoy the course and time with my son.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Lack of greens in regulation and a poor putting day led to a disappointing 82.  Drove the ball fairly well, but the GIR escaped me.

Yesterday, I had a long workday.  When I got home, very tired, I dropped a ball down on my practice putting green... about 8 feet from the cup... drained it.  Thought to myself, "if I stop now, it's my best day in golf.  One swing and it went in the hole."

So I went to bed. 😊

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Round was sloow. We quit on the 14th hole 4 1/2 hrs in. Ranger was not on top of things, other than on his stool at the beer counter in the clubhouse. Front 9 a foursome had 4 groups backed up behind them by the time they hit #9.  Half the group quit at 9, but then we ran into people on the back looping around playing holes repeatedly. Pure BS. Never ran intro this BS at this course before, but the ranger never though his post was at the bar before either......

I didn't even bother with my score on the front, couldn't hit the ball worth a darn because we did too much waiting for me to stay loose.

Slept poorly last night and got up around 3:30 am after tossing and turning and being unable to get back to sleep ... 9:40 tee time.  I wasn't sleepy so much as just physically lackluster.  As a result, I played poorly.  This is the second time that I can recall recently where I didn't sleep well and subsequently played much worse than normal.  I started off okay, but as the round wore on, my ball striking was increasingly less crisp, I was not focused, and my tempo was off.  Physically and mentally diminished -- perfect recipe for poor play.  Shot 15 strokes over my course handicap. 

Saturday was a good day, one asterisk was that one birdie came on a temp hole.

IMG_4829 2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Played yesterday morning at Bent Tree. No new birdies... ☹️

I shot 45 on the front 9:

• 22 putts (including a 4 putt on number 9) 🤢
  • 5 GIR's (including 2 from fairway bunkers)
  • 2 NGIR's

I shot 43 on the back 9:

• 13 putts
  • 1 GIR
  • 3 NGIR's

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Struggled on the front with 2 doubles, one caused by an OB the other just not focused, along with just poor ball striking, shooting a 44 for the front 9.  My CH for this course is a 5, so I'm behind the 8 ball with my scoring big time.  Found my stride on the back and started hitting the ball better, as well as draining some nice putts.  37 on the back 9 to come in with an 81.  Not great, but I was just glad that I was able to right the ship and bring home a better back 9.

For me a rock solid 87 (42/45, 6/14 on fairways hit, 4/18 GIR with another 4 nGIR) today that could have easily been a low 80's score if not for the blow-up on 4 (got to thinking too much) and a LB penalty on 18 (danged pampas grass).   Playing from the whites at River Bend (just over 6,100 yds 69.1/122 rating), started the round bogie, par, par and then the approach on 4 was bounced on and then rolled off the back of the green by about 3 yards.  They keep it cut tall there, so it was pitch out time.  Choked on the 58 not once but twice for hear of flying the green.  Came away with a three over 7 on what should have been a par or bogie at worst hole.  Kept the cool and finished the side at +6 or out in 42.  The back was all about bouncing between bogie and par.  Then on 17 there was a bogie so I am thinking I am on track for another really good round for me.  18 had a great tee shot that left me a decent 6i for the approach.  I pushed it just enough to lose the ball in the pampas grass that borders the green and the backside of 9.  I hit a provisional as I have never found my ball once it goes in that stuff.  The end result was another triple bogie 7 on the hole to finish +10 for a 45 (par is 35 on the back).  I did do something different today - on the "odd" numbered holes (1, 3, 5...15, 17), I could only use the "odd" numbered irons and hybrid on that hole.  The same with the even numbered holes, using the even numbered irons and hybrid.  Made for some interesting shot choices and planning - some holes were forced layups while others played nicely.  Also I tried to balance tee shots between the driver and the 3w for more diversification.  Can honestly say I hit every club in the bag, some in places I would have not thought of using them before.  It was the most challenging and fun round I've played....

image.thumb.png.3cb8329a54831db15528d1f7e6567d0e.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star