IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Solo round at Minnesott this afternoon from the whites - finished with an 84 (45 on the front, 39 on the back). Β Front side was 7 bogies, 1 double and 1 par, for +9 on the front. Had 3 GIR - two of which had 3 putts for bogie and the other 2 putt for par. Β Another 3 nGIR, all of which were two putts for bogie on each. Β Back side was better with 3 GIR and 5 nGIR with 3 bogies and 6 pars. Β Takeaways from the round- damp conditions, play a club stronger; super soft greens, putt firmer; when in the trees, play safe not shoot the gap (hence the day’s lone dbl bogie); determine your line, and line up accordingly and lastly, enjoy the bad shots as well as the better shots. Β 

Ping G400 SFT 10degΒ  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot 81 yesterday, pleasant recovery after previous week's 96. Had 10 nGIR, 4 GIR, and 2 penalty strokes.

One of the penalty strokes was unfortunate. Hit what looked like a perfect 7-iron off the tee on a short par-4, but the ball clipped some overgrown eucalyptus branches. I thought I saw the ball deflect up and a bit toward the right, but where it should have been in the fairway on that trajectory, there was no ball, so hit 3rd from drop zone (tee shot has a forced carry over creek so there is a drop zone circle to keep play moving).

Balls striking wasn't very good, especially off the tee, but short game and putting made up for tee to green shortfall.

image.png.085dea6adb5efd3da81d3139c6a4acfb.png

-Peter

• :titleist:Β TSR2
  • :callaway:Β Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg:Β GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon:Β ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:Β  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Had a competition cancelled last Friday due to a waterlogged course. The organiser decided to run a comp at a Toptracer range instead.

I shot gross 77, nett 62, 15 under handicap at Royal St Georges.

I might give up the version of golf where you have to chip and putt and stick to the one where you only need driver, irons and a reliable 75yd wedge shot!!! I was only 2 shots behind the teaching pro who organised it.Β 

It may be an indicator as to where I need to spend my practice time πŸ˜„

Β 

77. If we were still posting it would have been a 6.2 differential. If I don’t play tomorrow, this might be the last round of 2022. We are in for 10 days of freezing nights and cold days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Only got to play 9 holes yesterday due to a tee time mix up. Shot 43, with 2 penalty strokes. It was one of those rounds where everything was going well until the moment it wasn't, and then it unraveled. I was +1 after five holes, and then the misses got unmanageable. I knew it was coming because it was a B-swing kind of day and everything has felt a bit off for the last few weeks with injury, illness and no practice, but I was cautiously optimistic after a decent start.

-Peter

On 10/20/2022 at 8:58 AM, NeilV said:

Played last Sunday, and for a change the course was empty πŸ™‚

After a poor start I was 9 over after 5 holes. Then had a run of 12 holes where I played close to single figure handicap golf to end up standing on the 18th tee at +15.Β 

Made triple and shot 90. Stupid game.

I need to figure out how to make those runs of focussed, high concentration, decent quality play last for 18 holes.

91 last weekend.

8 pars, including 4 in a row holes 8 through 11 which is a section that has ruined many a round for me, 6 bogies, 3 triples and a quad. This is getting infuriating now and I can't put my finger on the problem.Β  I was solid off the tee (8 FW and everything that missed was in play), putted about average for me (33 putts but 2x3 putts) and didn't miss anything inside 4-5'.

Β 

1st Par 4. Driver missed FW left, hit green with 9 iron, 2 putt.

2nd Bogie 5. Driver hit FW,Β  pull left with 7 iron just off the fringe with a poor lie and downhill chip, ran off the green about 15' past the hole, chip, putt.

3rd Par 3. Hit green with PW, 2 putt.

4th Bogie 5. Driver hit FW, 5 iron deliberately short (best miss), chip on, 2 putt.

5th Triple 7. Topped 3 wood short of FW, pushed 6 iron to a lie with ball 6" below my feet, somehow pulled a 9 iron into the pond on the front left of the green, drop, pitch on fringe to left, chip, putt.

6th Par, Hybrid missed FW just right, hit green with 8 iron, 2 putts.

7th Quad 7. 7 iron into bunker short of green. bunkers out of play. Thinned chip back into bunker twice after drops, chip over back of green, chip on, 3 putts.

8th Par 5. Driver hit FW, 5 iron, wedge, 2 putts.

9th Par 3. 6 iron onto green, 2 putts.

10th Par 4. Driver hit FW, 9 iron to back of green, chip on. putt.

11th Par 4, Driver missed FW to right rough, 6 iron deliberately short, pitch, putt.

12th Bogie 4. Hybrid short of green. chip on, 2 putts.

13thΒ  Triple 8. Driver hit FW, 5 iron round corner of dogleg to FW, 5 iron to about 55 yds, 2 chunked partial wedges, pitch on, 2 putt.

14th Bogie 5. Driver missed into left rough, fatted full GW, pitch on, 2 putts.

15th Par 4. Driver hit FW, 8 iron to fringe, chip on, putt.

16th Driver hit FW, 7 iron pin high right of green, chip on, 2 putts.

17th Triple 8. Driver missed FW just right. 2 chunked 5 irons,Β  drop for an unplayable, 9 iron to right of green, chip, 2 putts.

18th Bogey 6. Driver hit FW, hybrid into FW, punch 6 iron to front of green, 3 putts (misjudged the amount of dew that started to settle and left 1st about 8' short).

Β 

So, my observations after writing this down:

It's not trying the hero shot that's causing the big numbers which has been the case in the past

While it looked and felt like a lot of shots were dropped on short game, as many if not more were lost on long game. Mostly with irons.

If I hit a bad shot, I often compound the mistake with at least 1 or 2 more bad shots.

I was poor inside say 75yds. 18 shots inside that sort of range.

Where I did hit the green from inside 75yds, I only made 2 up & downs from 8 opportunities.

If you made it this far any comments are welcome. That was a valuable exercise for me and I need to think about solutions now.

Β 

Played back nine at Minnesott today with a good friend. Β It was his first time back on the course since a nerve injury to his neck. Β  Β Was a fun nine - wound up 7 over for a 43. Β Started with a triple on 10 and thought it was going to one of those days. Bogied 11, parred 12 and all seemed to be settling down. Β 13 turned into a double bogie (missed fairway, weak recovery, shorted pitch on the green). Β Got on the par train on 14, 15 and 16. Β Should have been par on 17, but a pushed putt resulted in bogie. Finished the day with a par on 18. Β Wound up with five pars, two bogies, a dbl and triple. Β Had 3 GIR and 3 nGIR. Β Total of 16 putts. Β Great day of playing golf with my friend. Β 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played Musgrove Mills Oak tees, 72.3/155, after a lengthy layoff taking care of my mom who fell and and fractured her upper right arm in a few places. Β Shot 47-43=90 with 12 fairways, 6 GIR, 32 putts and 2 penalty shot. Really happy with my driving, but my iron play was suspect. I moved my ball position up slightly but hope the lack of playing time caused most of the issues. 1 birdie on a par 5 but missed a 4-iron approach on the par 5 16th that went into the water on my 2nd shot. Really felt like I wasted my solid driving today!

86 from the white tees (69.1 / 123) at RiverBend today. Β Was a great weather day with temps easing into the 60’s. Shot 42 on the front and 44 on the back. Β Had two dbl bogies, three pars, a birdie and twelve bogies! Β Came away with 5 GIR and 7 nGIR. Β Shot of the day was on the par 3 sixth. Β Tee shot finished about 4ft from the hole. Β Nice birdie. Β Overall one of the more consistent days in terms of overall consistency in ball striking. Β Was a great day of golf with my son and grandson. Β 

Edited by WillieT

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Shot 83 today at Talamore in Southern Pines, NC from 6,500 yards.Β  I had 8 fairways and 8 greens.Β  Unfortunately, I had 37 (!) putts with four three putts.Β  I have really got to work on my scrambling....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Golfer20 said:

Shot 83 today at Talamore in Southern Pines, NC from 6,500 yards.Β  I had 8 fairways and 8 greens.Β  Unfortunately, I had 37 (!) putts with four three putts.Β  I have really got to work on my scrambling....

Hey hey!

Shot 70 at Southern Pines today with the kiddo. Made more birdies than usual, including a tap-in on the 18th. I hit the fairway and was able to go for 15 in two, and hit the 18th as well, which I'd never really done in my rounds there yet. So that was good.

• Thumbs Up 3

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hey hey!

Shot 71 at Southern Pines today with the kiddo. Made more birdies than usual, including a tap-in on the 18th. I hit the fairway and was able to go for 15 in two, and hit the 18th as well, which I'd never really done in my rounds there yet. So that was good.

Awesome!Β  I haven't gotten the chance to play SP since the reno.Β  Also, thanks for the help on Evolvr!Β  My ball striking has certainly improved.Β  Now I just need to practice my short game. πŸ™‚Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Shot a new personal best 76 today with 9 GIR (15 nGIR) and no penalty strokes (note: it's not my best round relative to par, as I have a 77 on a par 72 for a +5, but it's the lowest score for me, and best round on my home course).

Teed off in the cold and dark, so grabbed one of my well-loved Kirkland Signature balls at the bottom of the bag figuring I wouldn't feel bad if it got lost before the sun crested the hills. Ended up playing the ball the entire round.

Shot a 41 on the front, played decently aside from a double on the par-5 8th hole. Back 9 started okay, and then ran off a streak of birdie-eagle-par-par-par on the last 5 holes to get an even 35 coming in. The eagle felt a bit cheap because the tee area is under repair, so the hole was playing much shorter than normal.

image.png.7706d601ef76daae4547e2ae7042ebdb.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-Peter

Got out and played the Challenge Course at Monarch Dunes yesterday. Sun was out and 65 degrees or so. Just a nice day for a walk...

Β 

20221127_124709.thumb.jpg.c668169ef338cdc9221a3436dff7cdda.jpg20221127_123822.thumb.jpg.5a5513a0902ac0f432ef22230cb9f806.jpg20221127_123023.thumb.jpg.561959f7597c9bf06184819fd823645b.jpg20221127_121246.thumb.jpg.f05c1d618cc5b29d06a14471ed8be509.jpg20221127_115947.thumb.jpg.f5b7676efae5e5bccbbc33ca294208aa.jpg20221127_114842.thumb.jpg.8365c79835dc4b5b7aa933c2d0d305d0.jpg20221127_112035.thumb.jpg.d9f2e7e67a799dfb97fe980f01be1ecd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Shot 83 ( 42 front / 41 back) from the whites at Minnesott. Β Played solo behind the Friday men’s scramble, so it was a hit and wait kind of round. Β Was army driving as I was spraying it left-right-middle on the tee shots. Β Rest of the game was pretty spot on. Β Only 1 GiR but had 6 nGIR. Β Best part of the day was I had 9 up and downs for par. Β Only 29 putts taken including two 3 putts. Β Came close to a no-sixes round as I had a dbl bogie 6 on two par 4s, one on the front and one on the back. Β One other dbl bogie on 5 a par 3. Β 
image.png.ae6b5518fdd274ae6b8327a1de3c37f5.png

Β 

• Like 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played River Falls Rock tees 12/3 and shot 41-42=83. It is a tight driving course that I don’t play very often. Hit 9 fairways after missing 3 of the first 4, and 10 GIR (and 3 more nGIR). Β Greens are crispy in the fall in SC and they were near 12 on the Stimp. 34 putts with 2 3-putts (on GIR!).

The Ugly

missed 4 greens from 118 or less. Poor chipping. Airmailed the shortest par 3 and made a double.

The bad

big hooks on first few drives and only one hit the fairway. Β The 2 three putts both burnt edges but should have been made. 4 over on par 3s! Doubled 10 from 114 yards!

The Good

10 GIR. Great driving later in the round. Hit my longest and straightest drives ever on 9, 10 and 17. Β 300 yard drive in wet conditions on the 9th startled me, but missed the par 5 with my approach and could only post a par.

need to work on chipping and approach shots!

Played the back nine again at Minnesott with my son and my friend who’s working back from nerve injury to his right hand (numb little and ring fingers). Β He’s contemplating larger grips so we brought a couple irons - one midsize, one jumbo. Β He hit a few with each and said he could feel the clubs in his right hand better. Β He’s going to work with a fitter about the best grip for him. Β How did the round go? Β It was a bogie kind of day - one dbl, two pars and six bogies for a 44. Β Hit 5 of 7 fairways, the drives were finding the short grass today. Β Not quite the same on the par threes, caught the tee shot with heavy 9i on 12 to nearly pin high, but right of the green. Pitched the 58 over the bunker as the pin was tucked tight. Β Two putted for bogie. Β The other three, 14 was a 6i flushed that landed ball at the back of the green and bounced just off. Β Bumped the 50 to get the ball close - not close enough for a one putt par, but rather a two putt bogie. Β While it wasn’t the up and down saves for par, felt the overall game was consistent today. Β Best highlight was that there were only 18 putts - no three putts today! Β 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I played Quail Ridge GC in Sanford, NC on 12/7 and shot an 81.Β  I hit 6 out of 14 fairways with 7 greens.Β  My putting was lot better this round: 31 putts with only one three putt.Β  I recently changed my putting grip, and it has really improved my confidence on the greens.Β  I still need to work on my scrambling, but overall, I am pleased where my game is headed.Β 

Β 

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1