IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

89 on Saturday which is the best round since the op in January. Pleased with it as there was only one triple in there because I made some good choices when out of position. Maintained concentration all the way round. Didn't hole anything outside 6 feet all day, so it was a good job that my distance control was good with the first putts.  

Really focused on not making 7s, and to be fair I didn't as the triple was on a par 5 😉

And round in 3.5 hours, which is (sadly) gold standard for my home course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Been a while since posting - a couple of rounds to report.  The first is the recent trip (last week) to the Dominican Republic to Club Med (Christmas gift from the kids) at Punta Cana.  Of course they wanted to make sure I got at least one round of golf in - had option of Corales (where Fed Ex Cup had been in March) or La Cana.  Knowing that I wanted my first course at a resort be really good, I opted for La Cana.  Also meant renting clubs as I opted to not ship my own just in case I decided to not play.  Getting to the course, we (my wife (just riding along) and I) got checked in, met our caddie, Forshay and picked up the cart and clubs.  The clubs were a real treat - full set of Titleists - TSR2 driver, fairway, hybrid (lofts all similar to what I hit), T300 irons (4-PW), SM9 wedges (48-54-58) and Scottie Cameron putter (forgettable model - was not my friend).  A few minutes on the range and I was feeling good about the clubs.   The course is set up as 3 9hole tracts.  The first was Tortuga.  Being on a new (to me) course, I was leaning totally on the caddie's instruction.  Push fade off the tee and we're off.  Managed a bogie on one, so I'm feeling better. BTW - these are some huge greens (most were larger than the practice green at my home course!)  Bogie on two, double on three (a par three) and finally nail a par on four.  FIve is a neat seaside par three that hit the green, ball releases to green side bunker, out of the bunker across the green into the ocean....Still the view is awesome! Finished the rest of Tortuga bogie-double-par-bogie.  So 47 it is.    The second nine is the other seaside tract named Arrecife.  Opened it with a par, then back to double, bogie (X's 3), par, dbl, bogie, dbl.  So 46 it is.  On the plus side - the Titleist clubs were the bomb and I felt at home with the clubs.  On the double plus side - it was a great adventure with the missus and our caddie was the man.  He was always encouraging and had great advice.  The biggest negative was the putter - I could not feel the ball coming off the head and I never was in sync with it like the Odyssey Versa I normally game.  Great memories and photo ops are to be had there.  Highly recommend and if we go back, I plan to play it again and of course set up a time to play Corales.  

Second post is about my round yesterday at my home course of Minnesott.  It was a solid 84 (41 front, 43 back).  It was as close as I have come to a "no-sixes" round with 4 total (two par 5's with a 6 bogie) and two fours with 6 dbl!  No trips or worse nor any penalty strokes!  Had 6 GIR, 10 nGIR.  Putting was decent, but not great with 33 putts.  Had a number of birdie ops that either barely missed right or left, or stopped less than an inch short.  Still tap ins for par are nice.   Best part of the round was knowing that my grandson was enjoying his first day of jr golf camp....

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Shot what should have been an "OK" round but completely fell apart on the Par-5 holes.  Shot a 52 (Par 36) and had an 8 and a 9 on the two Par-5s, Yes I was +7 on just 2 holes!.  The 1st Par-5 I sliced my tee shot into the woods forcing a recovery shot advancing the ball only @ 50 years and leaving @ 210 to the green and needing @ 170 to clear the waste area.  I often lay up on that hole but tried for the green and hit it long enough but it hooked hard left into a waste area that should not have been in play.  Took a drop, chipped on then 3-putted for an 8.  Next Par-5 was a total disaster.  Never lost a ball, just screwed up every shot and it took 7 just to get on the green then 2 putted for a 9.  I think I could have done better on that hole if I hit my putter off the tee and every shot thereafter.  Not that the other holes were anything to brag about but those two Par-5s just really stunk!

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

47 for the front 9.

Was doing fine until the last hole (par 3) which I carded a 6!
Missed the green to the left and had to chip down to the green in which the ball was going to run from the hole.
Wouldn't you know it, the ball ran away from the hole and onto the collar. I duffed the next chip and 3 putted!
One of the few times I have ever, ever, ever considered throwing my putting in to the pond next to the green!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Played Minnesott today from three sets of tees (white (member), gold (fwd), red (more fwd)) - Starting with white on one, gold on two, red on three, white on four, gold on five, red on six, etc.  This put the overall yardage just over the "standard" for the gold at just over 5500 yards.  I like playing this mix-up as it changes the approach game.  How did I do - a solid for me 83 (41 on the front, 42 on the back).  Started with three straight pars, before hitting on the only double bogie on four.  Great tee shot, solid approach and then had the putter dance all over the green for three putts.  Par on five and then three straight bogies to finish with a par on nine.  Plus five on the front for a 41.  Moving to the back, I thought it was going to be a total blow up.  Solid drive on ten, hit the 4h for a long approach to the green.  Was a straight pull towards the woods on the left.  To keep things moving hit a provisional to the right side of the green.  Did not immediately find the first ball, so I took the penalty and played out the hole with a triple seven.  (Note: did find the ball later and it would have been playable, possibly saving a couple strokes).  Eleven was a bogie as my approach was heavy and well short of the green.  Pitch up with the 54 and a two putt.  Settling down now, hit the tee on twelve heavy and another shot for up and down.  LW on the green and 1 putt for par.  Thirteen a par five was good till I got greenside.  Fatted the approach and had to pitch up again with the 54 for a 1 putt save for par.  Fourteen, the second three on the back, solid seven into the green.  Best putt read of the day as I center cupped a slight left to right putt from about 10ft for birdie.  Fifteen was another up and down save for par.  Onto sixteen, the second five in the back, where I am GIR and sitting about 6feet below the hole.  Another good read has the ball falling for the second birdie of the round.  Heading to seventeen at just two over, I am thinking (wrong thing to do) about how the round has settled down.  Tee shot is high flying slice into the trees.  Provisional tee shot lands middle of the fairway.  I find the original and opt to try to punch out and down the line using the 5i (big mistake as the ball scurries along but stays in the light rough).   Second "rescue" shot is w/the 4h to punch through only to clip another  tree.  Third shot from the rough is a thinned 54 that scurries across the green.  Making a mess now.  Fifth shot is now another 54 pitch, this time it stops just below the flag in the fringe.  Two putts later and the second triple of the back is in the books.  Eighteen was another push right just into the trees off the cart path.  This time, I get it right with a slight lateral left 7i punch back to the fairway.  Trusty 54 again puts the ball below the cup about 30' away.  Two putt bogie and the round is over.  Despite all the scrambling to start and end the back nine I come away with a 42.  Stats for the round - 6 of 14 fairways hit, 5 GIR with another 4 nGIR, 29 total putts.  Of the 8 pars, 5 were up and down 1 putt saves (had the 54 working well to set up the putts).  Overall not a record breaking round, but one of the most solid rounds I've played even when things went sideways.  

image.thumb.png.d51e8197fb693810c764745da8ca8095.png

Edited by WillieT
grammar

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Yesterday shot 70 on a Par 71.  OK it was a scramble so I can't claim that as my round but I did have a note worthy shot on a Par 3 @ 150 to the pin.  Dropped my 8I @ 18" from the hole and won a Blue Tee Range Finder.

I also won "Shortest Drive" but there was no prize for that, only a lot of heckling form my group.  Not sure how I did it, ball only advanced @ 18 inches.  Yes, your read that correctly, less than 2 feet!  

• Funny 2

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I also won "Shortest Drive" but there was no prize for that, only a lot of heckling form my group.  Not sure how I did it, ball only advanced @ 18 inches. 

Now that is true skill. 🤪

JK - Congrats on the closest to the pin. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

78 (7.0 differential) at my “home” course, Leslie Park. Got another birdie for the Challenge. I was mildly concerned about the course playing too long as a result of substantial rain over the past 48 hours. I played the eight par 3 & 5 holes in +1 so not reaching some of the long par 4 holes was not as significant.

• Like 2

Brian Kuehn

Great round today.  Lots of pars and some bogeys.

6 par (first 5 GIR + 2 putt and 6th nGIR and up and down), 3 bogey, par, birdie, bogey, 3 par, 3 bogey.  Front 9 was 3 over and back 9 was 3 over.  Total 6 over.  Happy with the round.  1 birdie, 10 pars and 7 bogeys.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Played 12 holes at 5 over before it got to dark. Two doubles both on par threes. The wind off the ocean was screwing with me. Seems like I aim out to the right or left, good breeze blowing and as soon as I swing the wind stops. LOL. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

After seven holes I was 8 over and doing nothing right. Mental slap in the face and played the next eleven holes at 1 over for an 80 (par 71).

Brian Kuehn

45 on the back 9.
A double, Couple Bogies, Par and a birdie.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

2023-06-29.thumb.png.7d4b3f7c2f01861f912f2567065d8865.png

Started out with 3 boogies. Then got hot and made GIR's on 5 of the next 6 holes. Even converted hole ten into a birdie. 

I was rolling... until I wasn't. 
Topped my drive on 11. ... haven't done that in a while. 
Hit a scabby drive on 12 into a fairway bunker and made double. 

Got back on track with a great birdie look on 13...  didn't convert. 

Rallied from behind a tree on 14 to save par. 

Hit an acceptable drive on 15, but then my head fell off and made a triple bogey. 

An awesome drive on 16, then duffed a wedge into the water. 

GIR on 17 (Yay, that's 8 GIR's for the round.) I had a 12 footer up hill for birdie. Left a tap in. 

18 was set up brutal and I was happy to walk off with a bogey. 

Overall it was a round that could have been great. My game kind of disappeared on 11 through 16 with only the tee shot on 13 being any good. I suddenly stopped hitting the driver well over that stretch. I also started to hit fat approach shots. Everything seemed to come back on the last two holes though. So, yeah, it's golf. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

9 hole league match tonight. Played the first 5 holes at 3 over, which is pretty good for me. After making par on the #1 handicap hole, I had 3 disaster holes in a row in which I made over 30 feet of putts to save double bogies. Could easily have been triples. And then I one hopped my tee shot off the flagstick on the last hole for an easy birdie. Hit every fairway/green except for the 3 disaster holes. 14 putts including a 3 putt and finishing with 5 straight 1 putts for a 43 vs par 35. Woulda, coulda, shoulda been better or worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

War Eagle!

81 from the gold tees at River Bend in New Bern NC.  Course is a par 71 at just under 5400 from the golds.  Round was a tale of two nines as the front was a 7 over 43 (par 36) - only one GIR and three nGIR.  Five bogies, one double and three pars.  Thinking as we make the turn that the back nine (par 35) should be a little easier.  Start par, bogie and then three more pars heading to fifteen, the second par 3 of the back.  8i is just short of the green, an easy pitch with the 54 goes a little long.  Slippery putt back for par that scoots by about 3'.  Come back is off and tap in for double.  Plus three and the mind is screaming "here goes the side".  Sixteen is the only par 5 which I make GIR and two putt for par.  Seventeen I am a yard short of GIR, putt close - tap in for par.  Eighteen calls for a short iron in, I overclub and the 9i lands on the back of the green that has a middle pin.  40' to come back and I under stroke it and it comes about 6' short.  Par putt is a smooth glide in for a 38 on the back.  A good friend this past week reminded me to "trust the club".  Today was about doing that and I saw the ball consistently going where it needed to be. 

image.thumb.png.9344b3a348896af8f6cc50026c96df02.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Standard 49-40 for 89 (par 71) in less than 3.5 hours. Hit my driver as good as I ever have today but couldn't figure out my irons until the back side. I took an 8 on the 9th hole due to a case of the shanks and sidehill below feet lies. It is amazing how much easier it is when you hit driver well, although I did pull my driver into the water on the 14th hole (#1 hdcp). I think only 2 3-putts, but no 1-putts. I have broken 90 before for 18, but not very often. I don't even play 18 very often. I shot 41-42 in back-to-back weeks of league play about 3 years ago, but I don't know if that counts.  The 40 is my best 9 holes on this course. 

War Eagle!

5 over for a 40(par 35) two doubles and a single bogey. Missed every birdie putt (due to our greens running anywhere from 2 to a 17 on the Stimp, depending on which side of the hole you're on.  Last two times now I have ended the day at 5 over. New goal to beat.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Another close but no cigar today as I played Minnesott from the white tees (just under 6,100).  Close in that I came very close to breaking 80 as my score was 80 (37 front, 43 back).   It was one of the most consistent ball striking days I've ever had and around the green saves for par was unreal.  I had par on the first six holes - never done that one.  Of those pars - all but one was nGIR/up and downs for par.  (The work with the 54* SW in the back yard really paid off today). Bogie on seven and par save on eight, straight par on nine.  Back nine - ten and eleven are the two hardest holes on the back, had a GIR par on 10 and an up and down par save on eleven.  Then the round magic left.  A wayward tee shot on twelve (an easy par three) had me pitching from sand/grass.  Came up short, putted off the green and still had a two putt after that.  Dbl bogie - first of the day.  Thirteen, a par five, approach with the 8i was just right of the green, roughly pin high.  SW (54*) to the rescue (FYI - it has become my work around the green club).  Land the ball just on the green - longish up hill slight left to right.  Finish the putt to the left about a foot past - tap in for bogie.  Bogie on fourteen as I hit the wrong club and came up short.  Pitch on, two putt for bogie.  Fifteen - another scramble of up and down for par (the 54* working well).  Sixteen the other par five  - topped the tee shot, had to lay up with the 6i.  Hit the 5i heavy and I'm hitting the 50* to get on the green.  Two putts and another bogie.  Seventeen - a hard dogleg right.  Plays well to a fade.  Hit a solid 3w, come up a little short of the turn and have to hit a low runner through some trees.  Still had a ways to go, SW is heavy this time and I am just short of the green.  PW and I manage a chip in par save - a first.  Eighteen - tee shot right, again working through trees.  5w stinger - first attempt gets a tree and sends it back my way.  The second shot (third of the hole) - ends up right of the green.  The SW comes though again putting me about 15'  above the hole.  I misread the break and leave the putt just past the cup slight downhill.  Tap in for dbl bogie and 43 on the back.  A couple of stats - 4 of 14 fairways hit (lots of just misses today); 3 GIR and 9 nGIR (a new record for me), putter was on with just 25 putts.  A good round for me for sure - as it was a personal best.  

image.thumb.png.83416222bd375627cd376015b579e6fa.png

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star