IGNORED

Common Golf Myths That May Be Hurting Your Game

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

those who have been around for a long time on this site can personally attest to the fact that @iacas is more than willing to change his perspective on things when new and better info comes out.  rest assured that anything he says regarding the swing has been analyzed and broken down and is based on the most current science.

I try. I've said before and I'll say again now: as I come from a scientific background, learning that you're wrong about something is often far better than learning that you're right about something, particularly if you know why you're wrong. It's an instant chance to upgrade your knowledge. Confirming that you were right about something changes nothing, improves nothing, maybe gives you a bit more confidence, but… really, scientifically, changes nothing.

I'd much rather work on flaws in thinking than worrying about what I got right. I'd rather be working to upgrade my knowledge all the time, my abilities, etc.

those who have been around for a long time on this site can personally attest to the fact that @iacas is more than willing to change his perspective on things when new and better info comes out.  rest assured that anything he says regarding the swing has been analyzed and broken down and is based on the most current science.

Thanks.

I've said before and I'll say again now: knowing why you're wrong about something is far more exciting to me, coming from a scientific background, than confirming that I'm right about something. Being shown you're wrong and why provides an instant opportunity to upgrade your knowledge. Almost nothing changes when you confirm that you're right about something, but changes can be made for the better when you learn that something you thought true was not right or could be done or seen or thought of differently and better.

I responded to that mostly to test the slow replies on the site (which seem to be an AJAX issue, as the replies are posted right away), and so I apologize for the double posting. But I'm leaving it as I said it slightly differently each time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

Older article but still great list of items to consider!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

• 1 month later...

Always good to go back over this stuff. The drag the club back low and slow is one that strikes a particular chord with me. All that does is create an urge in me to jump from the top. Look at the pros, they don't waste any time getting the club back, not even Matsuyama. He just holds it back there for a beat before initiating the downswing.

Also, I find I play my best when I pay absolutely no attention to what my hands and wrist are doing. Grip? Yes! Hand and wrist activity during the swing? No!

• 3 months later...

Biggest myth of all, and I didn't see it on the list, is "keep your left arm straight throughout your swing".

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

8 hours ago, BallMarker said:

Biggest myth of all, and I didn't see it on the list, is "keep your left arm straight throughout your swing".

Because it's not the biggest myth of all, maybe?

• Like 1

Colin P.

10 hours ago, BallMarker said:

That's not really a myth, that's more of feel that may or may not help people. Some players have a straight lead arm, others don't. It's not factually incorrect like the other myths on the list IMO.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 1/17/2018 at 8:09 AM, billchao said:

That's not really a myth, that's more of feel that may or may not help people. Some players have a straight lead arm, others don't. It's not factually incorrect like the other myths on the list IMO.

Okay....

That's fair.

But I challenge you to try and hit with your left arm (if you're a righty) perfectly straight...espcially during you back swing.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, BallMarker said:

Okay....

That's fair.

But I challenge you to try and hit with your left arm (if you're a righty) perfectly straight...espcially during you back swing.

It can be done.

01.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!