IGNORED

TST's New IPS Forum - Post Your Bugs, Etc.

iacas
Note: This thread is 2648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks, much pappreciated

well I will eventually figure it out. I search for my name in threads I know I posted in, and it comes back nothing found. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have some UX enhancements...

The Quote and Reputation features should be aligned at the bottom of each box, not floating in the middle of it.  

The side profile info is too large, it takes up far too much space versus the typical post, which expands the page vertically farther than it needs to be.

The mobile experience is awkward and hard to navigate.  The login and menu are not well designed.

Bring back the MegaMenu for the forum topics.

Not really sure the narrower post layout is good.  The right sidebar is largely unused and just leaves less width for posts.

What happened to auto subscribe to a thread after you post in it?  That was a good feature.

You need to change the filters from "And"s to "Or" statements.  Especially with the new content filters.  Selected "Only Posts I have posted in" and "Only Threads I follow' should return results for both categories.  Currently it only returns results that meet both categories.  That is very awkward behavior for an "OR" or "checkmark" style filer.

Like most changes, this site feels awkward and not user friendly at the moment.  That will change.  

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

• Administrator

Not really a bug, it's that my message mail box (PM) is over-full.

Under our new system, capacity = 90; I have 241.

Any way to capture and store selected older PMs, or do I just have to whack some?

Delete the ones you probably already deleted. They "came back" because the way Huddler stored messages we had no real (easy) way to know who had deleted what, so if you were in a conversation and the other person kept the message, you're back in it.

Also not a bug, but are we allowed to give recommendations for posts in non-golf topics? Most notably the gun control topic going now. Hopefully we all restrain ourselves from giving tons of kudos for partisan issues when we are like-minded, and we stick to giving thumbs up to well-written, effective commentary on golf issues.

Yeah, there's no way that I can see to limit that right now.

The Quote and Reputation features should be aligned at the bottom of each box, not floating in the middle of it.

I don't see them aligned in the middle.

The side profile info is too large, it takes up far too much space versus the typical post, which expands the page vertically farther than it needs to be.

I like it. It stays. Some other things are coming which will help navigate post-to-post more quickly, but I like having the "postbit" contain the information it contains now, with the larger avatars, etc. It's not as different from the old site as you think, either.

In fact, on the old site, my minimum vertical height was about 475px. On the new site? About 475px.

The mobile experience is awkward and hard to navigate.  The login and menu are not well designed.

I like it more than our old site, and it's responsive design. I think it's better than it was.

Bring back the MegaMenu for the forum topics.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if you're talking about the menu at the top that let you navigate to a sub-forum directly, yeah, eventually I think that's coming back. If you meant something else, then I don't know.

Not really sure the narrower post layout is good.  The right sidebar is largely unused and just leaves less width for posts.

Theres not a lot we can do about it right now. See again the responsive design bit. This is one of the tradeoffs of a slightly more grid-based approach.

What happened to auto subscribe to a thread after you post in it?  That was a good feature.

Change your settings. It's still there.

You need to change the filters from "And"s to "Or" statements.  Especially with the new content filters.  Selected "Only Posts I have posted in" and "Only Threads I follow' should return results for both categories.  Currently it only returns results that meet both categories.  That is very awkward behavior for an "OR" or "checkmark" style filer.

I think you read it wrong. I see it - always have - as an "AND" style setup. Regardless, now you know it's AND, and can plan accordingly.

Like most changes, this site feels awkward and not user friendly at the moment.  That will change.  

Thanks for sharing your opinion Tony. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I think that most people have adjusted very quickly.

And, unlike with Huddler, IPS is under active development.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not sure if this is part of the ads system you work with, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  Is this a new sponsor I didn't see welcomed?

tst.jpg

Edited by newtogolf

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

I'm not sure if this is part of the ads system you work with, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  Is this a new sponsor I didn't see welcomed?

Google knows what you like, I suppose. I see ads for DNS hosts and other things right now. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Those are both due to the search index not being updated. That's running now. It may take a few days to complete. It'll constantly be getting better. 

Any estimate as to how far the index updating process has gone?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
(edited)

Any estimate as to how far the index updating process has gone?

I think it's done. If it's not great, it is what it is.

Edited by iacas

Google knows what you like, I suppose. I see ads for DNS hosts and other things right now. :-)

I'll have to check my router logs to see what sites my 16 year old son is viewing because Philippine women are definitely not from my searches, now if it was busty blonds, then I might be guilty as charged.  Now I'm getting girl scout cookie and Game Golf ads.  Thanks

Joe Paradiso

Delete the ones you probably already deleted. They "came back" because the way Huddler stored messages we had no real (easy) way to know who had deleted what, so if you were in a conversation and the other person kept the message, you're back in it.

Yeah, there's no way that I can see to limit that right now.

I don't see them aligned in the middle.

I like it. It stays. Some other things are coming which will help navigate post-to-post more quickly, but I like having the "postbit" contain the information it contains now, with the larger avatars, etc. It's not as different from the old site as you think, either.

In fact, on the old site, my minimum vertical height was about 475px. On the new site? About 475px.

I like it more than our old site, and it's responsive design. I think it's better than it was.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if you're talking about the menu at the top that let you navigate to a sub-forum directly, yeah, eventually I think that's coming back. If you meant something else, then I don't know.

Theres not a lot we can do about it right now. See again the responsive design bit. This is one of the tradeoffs of a slightly more grid-based approach.

Change your settings. It's still there.

I think you read it wrong. I see it - always have - as an "AND" style setup. Regardless, now you know it's AND, and can plan accordingly.

Thanks for sharing your opinion Tony. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I think that most people have adjusted very quickly.

And, unlike with Huddler, IPS is under active development.

This is what I meant with the floating:

lS44aue.png

I guess the vertical post layout will just take some time getting used to.

I know the perils of responsive design, and vastly prefer adaptive views for mobile.  They just are easier to create a better UX for.  

Yes, a menu menu with direct links to the sub forums was great UX, this new site needs that back.

I see what you mean with the grid, they only option would be to move that content to the bottom of the page.

I guess we disagree about the "and" and "or" layout of a checkbox filter, but just letting you know the best practice for that situation is a "or" filter.  If you want them to be "And"s then you should give them different headers.

And you are welcome.  I'm in the business of web site design and user experience and realize my critiques could sound harsh.  That was not the point. I was simply letting people know whenever you make a change to a site people will hate it at first.  Then they get used to it and see the improvements.

Cheers to your upgrades and I look forward to the further enhancements. 

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

• Administrator

Re: the buttons for rec/quote… I disagree. They're fine where they are, because they're always there - right below the content you want to quote. Or rec. Put them bottom-aligned and the location changes depending on whether the user has a signature, whether they're showing signatures, etc.

The vertical post layout is almost the same as it has been for over a decade. Almost to the pixel.

For the rest of your feedback, thanks. I'm comfortable with what we have right now and the planned changes I'll make as I have the time, the software gets upgrades, etc.

P.S. Also, nobody seemed to hate much of anything.

I'll have to check my router logs to see what sites my 16 year old son is viewing because Philippine women are definitely not from my searches, now if it was busty blonds, then I might be guilty as charged.  Now I'm getting girl scout cookie and Game Golf ads.  Thanks

FWIW, I got something similar early today and I'm on my work laptop which I definitely don't do searches like that. It went away though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

FWIW, I got something similar early today and I'm on my work laptop which I definitely don't do searches like that. It went away though.

Google AdSense ads are all that are running right now. I think they monitor them, but occasionally some slip through. I think you can actually report the ads by clicking the "X" or the other little icon in the top right (usually?) of the ad.

I think you can actually report the ads by clicking the "X" or the other little icon in the top right (usually?) of the ad.

Yeah.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-07_at_9.27.32_AM.thu

And you can adjust your settings.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-07_at_9.34.07_AM.thu

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

How do I change my profile pic?  It was non-square, so it looks bad on the new forum.  I looked around various menus but didn't see a way to change it.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

How do I change my profile pic?  It was non-square, so it looks bad on the new forum.  I looked around various menus but didn't see a way to change it.

At top right of the page, click on your user name and then select "Profile" (or just click on your pic to open it up).  Then click on the little landscape icon in the bottom left of your current profile pic:

profile_pic.thumb.png.6590f0424a2b884d05

This opens a window that allows you to upload a new one. 

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig

At top right of the page, click on your user name and then select "Profile" (or just click on your pic to open it up).  Then click on the little landscape icon in the bottom left of your current profile pic:

profile_pic.thumb.png.6590f0424a2b884d05

This opens a window that allows you to upload a new one. 

Hmmm.  I tried that button before, but it didn't work.  I just tried it now and it did.  Oh well.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Hmmm.  I tried that button before, but it didn't work.  I just tried it now and it did.  Oh well.

Yeah, you've got to touch the little icon, not just the picture itself (the mistake I made before).

Craig

Note: This thread is 2648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!