IGNORED

How often should you upgrade irons?

Ashley
Note: This thread is 3050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On November 17, 2015 1:09:39 PM, inthehole said:

Now, if a person wants to change categories, say from Game Improvement to Players irons, that's a whole different story ...

This is a good point, and applicable to my situation: I feel like my iron play has improved (over the past what just happens to be 5 years since I started playing) a lot and am at the point where I "want" - not necessarily "need" - an upgrade.

In my case, am looking to switch from R9s - which are great and I love them, and could keep playing with them - into the new Apex CF 16s. So from a GI set into a forged 'player' .. or sometimes classed cross-over GI/Player... But plz note I did make a few trips to two different stores and spent lots of time hitting several different makes and models, and hitting them alongside my current R9.

* Bottom Line:
IMHO, replace clubs based on your particular playing factors (and propensity to splurge), and _not_ on a calendar schedule.
AND - go to a store, or demo days if you can, and definitely test test test a number of different models. 

Just as a side note: Lexi Thompson is still playing on tour with her 2009 Cobra S2 Forged. Has the "lack of tech" hurt her? I don't think so.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Grumpter for your advice and you are quite right, waiting a few years usually pays off because feedback has had a chance to circulate. Then it's only a question of working out the validity of such feedback.  I actually like waiting a few years after any major purchase, after all the teething problems, chances of product reviews and sometimes recalls.  Relatively speaking, a set of golf clubs isn't all that major.  Still, they cost money and there's nothing worse than having to resell an item for a lot less that just doesn't work for you.  It was interesting to see that the improvements to your game were due to your own customization and new product loft characteristics over old.  There is some merit to newer technology if it suits the individual.  Meanwhile I am still trying to fathom if my young daughter is a true lefty, which means buying her left handed clubs.  The instructor said straight away, she's left.  Now she tells me that she has a stronger right arm, writes okay with her right hand and is unsure what side she wants to play golf on.  I am completely confused and we have only a few weeks to go before Christmas :D. I took her out to play with a tennis racked attached to one of those pole spring set-ups and she hits quite strong with either hand.  The dexterity is not giving up its secrets, but she's only 7 so we have time and I hope I don't choose the wrong side.  I'm holding off on a decent set until I can be sure.  She loves golf, so this is a bonus in any case.  Cheerio.

12 minutes ago, Return2Golf said:

The dexterity is not giving up its secrets, but she's only 7 so we have time and I hope I don't choose the wrong side.  I'm holding off on a decent set until I can be sure.  She loves golf, so this is a bonus in any case.  Cheerio.

There may be no wrong side! As everyone knows, Phil Mickelson is a righty who swings left handed because he wanted to stand across from his dad while copying him.

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

There may be no wrong side! As everyone knows, Phil Mickelson is a righty who swings left handed because he wanted to stand across from his dad while copying him.

And Hogan was a true lefty that played right handed.

I play different sports with different hands (tennis, billiards, and archery left; throwing, batting, and golf right). It sounds like your daughter may be the same way. If you can't tell which suits her best, I think starting right handed would be advisable since it will be much easier for her to find equipment.

Edited by Baog

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Baog said:

And Hogan was a true lefty that played right handed.

Maybe.

Many believed that although he played right-handed as an adult, Hogan was actually left-handed. In his book "Five Lessons," in the chapter entitled "The Grip," Hogan said "I was born left-handed -- that was the normal way for me to do things. I was switched over to doing things right-handed when I was a boy but I started golf as a left-hander because the first club I ever came into possession of, an old five-iron, was a left-handed stick." This belief also seemed to be corroborated by Hogan himself in his earlier book "Power Golf." However, some mystery still remains about this since Hogan in subsequent interviews said that the belief of him being left-handed was actually a myth (noted in what was probably his last video interview and in his 1987 Golf Magazine interview).

In these interviews Hogan said that he was indeed a right-handed player who early on practiced/played with a left hand club that had been given to him because it was all that he had and that it was this issue that brought about the myth that he was left-handed. This may be the reason that his early play with right-handed equipment found him using a cross-handed grip (right hand at the end of the club, left hand below it). In "The Search for the Perfect Golf Swing", researchers Cochran and Stobbs held the opinion that a left-handed person playing right-handed would be prone to hook the ball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hogan (and other sources)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've just upgraded my irons now after my third year of getting back into the game.  My reason may (or may not) be a typical one.  I needed a new set when I started playing again and went with the TM Rocketballz based on the suggestion from the Golfsmith sales guy.  At the time, I wasn't sure if I was going to be really into golf the way I was when I was playing 15+ years ago so I went with a decent set that wouldn't break the bank.  I still like them but never really loved them so decided to get fitted for a set of Ping G30's (now that I know I'm hooked).  Have to wait until after Christmas to hit with them so won't know for awhile if it was the right decision. 

On 14 November 2015 at 10:50 PM, Natural Patrick said:

I'm not going to write an essay in hopes of satisfying an Aussi who is FOS.  An English term that means you are "Full Of Shit" just a figure of speech that means exactly what it says. Look no further than the materials used today vs 10 years ago. The Research, Technology and Testing is a little ahead of what was being done 10 years ago. Whether that is Meaningful to the 20 handicap or the Touring Pro. Is really not up for me or you to decide,

Drop the ad hominem bs. BS is an English term meaning... I'm sure you've heard it before. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a new set after having my old ones now for 5-6 years I asked the fitter how often should you replace irons he said you can keep irons as long as you like depending on the quality of the grooves but to actually notice a difference in technology he said I would wait at least 5 years and this was coming from the head fitter at Titleist Australia in Melbourne. 

Note: This thread is 3050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!