IGNORED

World Handicap System Now Out (2020)

iacas

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Southern by Choice said:

I was looking up information about a temporary rating for a new set of tees that my club is adding.  While doing so, I came across this info that seems to answer your situation, under Modification of Courses, Temporary Changes:

"For differences under 100 yards (100 metres), no adjustment is necessary and scores can be submitted as usual"  usga.org, Appendix G

The PCC (Playing Conditions Calculation) you mention might pick up the changes, too.

Perfect answer there, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Southern by Choice said:

Mauricio, you are probably much better informed than I since you act as a RATER.  (I tried taking the online course to become certified as a Course Rater but I couldn’t stick with it.  Congratulations to you!)

Our new tees are being added as part of the USGA and LPGA's "Play It Forward" initiative, instituted to be more in keeping with the drive yardage and swing speed of the "typical" female golfer.  Pretty exciting stuff!  It will give more opportunities for pars and birdies for women, senior women, junior players and new golfers. I’m looking forward to trying them out on occasion!

Just said that you made my understanding much richer from the new Rules of Handicapping Book. No big deal that I'm a Rater, as I said I still have doubts on how the Course Rating Manuals are used after WHS, since there's Rules of Handicapping the Course Rating Guide. 

Loved to hear about the "Play it Forward" amazing initiative, I've just read this week from Harold Varner, that if want to gain confidence you have to play always being in position, for par, birdie situations. That's a kind a thing USkids does with kids to empower their game. Hope this helps the game to grow and golfers to enjoy their time on the course!

Putter Odyssey DF550 , DRIVER SRIXON Z765, Irons Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, Hybrid 2 Taylormade Rescue TP,Hybrid 3 Taylormade Rescue, Hybrid 4 PING G30, 52º Titleist DCI BeCu Wedge, 56º Taylormade Rac TP

Maurício Costenaro Sato, member of Brazilian Golf Confederation Athletes Committee, rater

2 hours ago, mauricio said:

.......I've just read this week from Harold Varner, that if want to gain confidence you have to play always being in position, for par, birdie situations. That's a kind a thing USkids does with kids to empower their game. Hope this helps the game to grow and golfers to enjoy their time on the course!

I agree on gaining confidence.  In our league we have some very good players but at their age (some over 80) they simply can't get a GIR from the same tees I play.  They play forward and the handicap fixes any discrepancies and we can all have the joy of a birdie putt.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• 3 weeks later...

Need hope posting to GHIN.

I am trying to understand what score to post for a "Skipped Hole".  This weekend I needed to sip hole #4 due to a slow group in front and hoping to finish by sunset.  We played only 9 holes.  Per GHIN, my Course Handicap is 11 for the front 9.  The hole skipped was a Par 4 and was the #5 handicap overall. On the Front 9 it would be the #3 handicap hole. 

I am thinking it should be recorded as a Bogie-5.  I am assuming I would be 1 stroke on each hole then a 2nd stroke on the #1 & #2 Handicap holes on the front 9.  Since this is the #3 Handicap on the front 9 it would be only Par+1 = 5.

Am I doing this correctly?

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Need hope posting to GHIN.

I am trying to understand what score to post for a "Skipped Hole".  This weekend I needed to sip hole #4 due to a slow group in front and hoping to finish by sunset.  We played only 9 holes.  Per GHIN, my Course Handicap is 11 for the front 9.  The hole skipped was a Par 4 and was the #5 handicap overall. On the Front 9 it would be the #3 handicap hole. 

I am thinking it should be recorded as a Bogie-5.  I am assuming I would be 1 stroke on each hole then a 2nd stroke on the #1 & #2 Handicap holes on the front 9.  Since this is the #3 Handicap on the front 9 it would be only Par+1 = 5.

Am I doing this correctly?

That's correct. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Putter Odyssey DF550 , DRIVER SRIXON Z765, Irons Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, Hybrid 2 Taylormade Rescue TP,Hybrid 3 Taylormade Rescue, Hybrid 4 PING G30, 52º Titleist DCI BeCu Wedge, 56º Taylormade Rac TP

Maurício Costenaro Sato, member of Brazilian Golf Confederation Athletes Committee, rater

• 1 month later...

Noticed yesterday that my GHIN Membership was showing 2 courses for my home course.  One I had never played at. My GHIN membership is through the Golf Association of Michigan (GAM) and I saw the same on the GAM website.  I emailed GAM and got a response this afternoon.  Apparently there was a test each course needed to complete by Aug. 31st to allow them to continue to offer handicap posting and my home course did not complete the test.  As a result GAM assigned me to another course so I could keep my GHIN through Dec. 31st but will need to find a new home course when I renew my GAM for 2021, unless my home course does the exam before year end.

Has anyone else seen similar?  Any idea if the test is hard or costly? Any idea why my home course, a municipal course, would not have done it?

I know my HC is high but I still like that is is GHIN

Stuart M.

39 minutes ago, StuM said:

Noticed yesterday that my GHIN Membership was showing 2 courses for my home course.  One I had never played at. My GHIN membership is through the Golf Association of Michigan (GAM) and I saw the same on the GAM website.  I emailed GAM and got a response this afternoon.  Apparently there was a test each course needed to complete by Aug. 31st to allow them to continue to offer handicap posting and my home course did not complete the test.  As a result GAM assigned me to another course so I could keep my GHIN through Dec. 31st but will need to find a new home course when I renew my GAM for 2021, unless my home course does the exam before year end.

Has anyone else seen similar?  Any idea if the test is hard or costly? Any idea why my home course, a municipal course, would not have done it?

I know my HC is high but I still like that is is GHIN

I attended a handicap clinic late last year, offered through my state association.  We did take a short simple quiz for record purposes, and I'd bet that's the test being discussed.  You're supposed to have a handicap committee at each course, and someone in the Committee is supposed to be somewhat qualified.  The responsible person may even be able to take the test through the GAM or through USGA online, at no cost.

That's my best guess

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I attended a handicap clinic late last year, offered through my state association.  We did take a short simple quiz for record purposes, and I'd bet that's the test being discussed.  You're supposed to have a handicap committee at each course, and someone in the Committee is supposed to be somewhat qualified.  The responsible person may even be able to take the test through the GAM or through USGA online, at no cost.

That's my best guess

Could be, GAM suggested I contact the course and encourage them to do the exam.

Stuart M.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:13 PM, StuM said:

Could be, GAM suggested I contact the course and encourage them to do the exam.

Here are a couple of sources.  The GAM page talks only about in-person seminars, but there may be online options available at this stage.  It does say that someone from each club will be required to have one person pass the certification test before June 30.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/whsonlineseminar1.html

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

(edited)
44 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Here are a couple of sources.  The GAM page talks only about in-person seminars, but there may be online options available at this stage.  It does say that someone from each club will be required to have one person pass the certification test before June 30.

My state association held it virtually and posted to youtube. Then has a link to take the quiz to be certified. 

Edited by phillyk
  • Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

43 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Thx for the link.  I should find time to do it myself.

OK, I just started the link....it is Free, only need to view 4 videos of which 1st is only @ 15 minutes.  Quiz is 20 questions, open book, need only 80% to pass and can take the quiz repeatedly until passing.  I see no reason my course could not have done this.  

• Like 1

Stuart M.

FYI:   I am a member of TheGrint.   They calculate my handicap.   Recently I only had time for 9 holes.   I joined with another single during the round so it counted toward my handicap.   When I entered my round they took 1/2 of the course rating and the slope was different than what the USGA rating database showed for the 9 that I played.

I contacted them and they said they weren't capable yet of having the correct slope and handicap for each individual 9 hole course.   

UGH!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

42 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

FYI:   I am a member of TheGrint.   They calculate my handicap.   Recently I only had time for 9 holes.   I joined with another single during the round so it counted toward my handicap.   When I entered my round they took 1/2 of the course rating and the slope was different than what the USGA rating database showed for the 9 that I played.

I contacted them and they said they weren't capable yet of having the correct slope and handicap for each individual 9 hole course.   

UGH!

Its hard to believe that they can't do it. the data storage and computational requirements just don't seem that huge.  The 9-hole CR and Slope is readily available from the USGA website, the Grint simply needs to add it to their own database.  I know there are thousands of courses, its a big job, but they've had a year to get it done.  

Dave

4 hours ago, dennyjones said:

UGH!

Any reason you are not using GHIN directly?

I am a member of GAM (Golf Association of Michigan) ( Cost = $39) and I getI GHIN  handicap posting capabilities.

Stuart M.

34 minutes ago, StuM said:

Any reason you are not using GHIN directly?

I am a member of GAM (Golf Association of Michigan) ( Cost = $39) and I getI GHIN  handicap posting capabilities.

Not really.   I was grandfathered in to the cheaper rate of $19.99 / yr.    The cost isn't the factor, it's just $$.   I like the data they supply.   I use Game Golf but I'm not sure how long they will continue to be operational.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...

England golf have now released handicaps under WHS, I presume the rest of the UK is the same.  My handicap dropped 1.7 shots down to 12.3.  Anyone else in the UK notice a big drop in handicap?

6 hours ago, RustUK said:

England golf have now released handicaps under WHS, I presume the rest of the UK is the same.  My handicap dropped 1.7 shots down to 12.3.  Anyone else in the UK notice a big drop in handicap?

I’ve dropped from 5.3 to 3.0. But I’ve only played 20 counting scores in the last 2 years. My six oldest rounds are all garbage as well so I won’t be going up anytime soon. No wins unless I get practicing 😐

Stevie T

On 10/23/2020 at 10:57 AM, RustUK said:

Mine jumped up from 12.5 to 13.6 which was pretty much as expecting as golf has been pretty awful bar the odd ok round for a while now.