Jump to content
iacas

World Handicap System Now Out (2020)

587 posts / 99772 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Southern by Choice said:

I was looking up information about a temporary rating for a new set of tees that my club is adding.  While doing so, I came across this info that seems to answer your situation, under Modification of Courses, Temporary Changes:

"For differences under 100 yards (100 metres), no adjustment is necessary and scores can be submitted as usual"  usga.org, Appendix G

The PCC (Playing Conditions Calculation) you mention might pick up the changes, too.

Perfect answer there, yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Southern by Choice said:

Mauricio, you are probably much better informed than I since you act as a RATER.  (I tried taking the online course to become certified as a Course Rater but I couldn’t stick with it.  Congratulations to you!)

 

Our new tees are being added as part of the USGA and LPGA's "Play It Forward" initiative, instituted to be more in keeping with the drive yardage and swing speed of the "typical" female golfer.  Pretty exciting stuff!  It will give more opportunities for pars and birdies for women, senior women, junior players and new golfers. I’m looking forward to trying them out on occasion!

Just said that you made my understanding much richer from the new Rules of Handicapping Book. No big deal that I'm a Rater, as I said I still have doubts on how the Course Rating Manuals are used after WHS, since there's Rules of Handicapping the Course Rating Guide. 

Loved to hear about the "Play it Forward" amazing initiative, I've just read this week from Harold Varner, that if want to gain confidence you have to play always being in position, for par, birdie situations. That's a kind a thing USkids does with kids to empower their game. Hope this helps the game to grow and golfers to enjoy their time on the course!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mauricio said:

.......I've just read this week from Harold Varner, that if want to gain confidence you have to play always being in position, for par, birdie situations. That's a kind a thing USkids does with kids to empower their game. Hope this helps the game to grow and golfers to enjoy their time on the course!

 

I agree on gaining confidence.  In our league we have some very good players but at their age (some over 80) they simply can't get a GIR from the same tees I play.  They play forward and the handicap fixes any discrepancies and we can all have the joy of a birdie putt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Need hope posting to GHIN.

I am trying to understand what score to post for a "Skipped Hole".  This weekend I needed to sip hole #4 due to a slow group in front and hoping to finish by sunset.  We played only 9 holes.  Per GHIN, my Course Handicap is 11 for the front 9.  The hole skipped was a Par 4 and was the #5 handicap overall. On the Front 9 it would be the #3 handicap hole. 

I am thinking it should be recorded as a Bogie-5.  I am assuming I would be 1 stroke on each hole then a 2nd stroke on the #1 & #2 Handicap holes on the front 9.  Since this is the #3 Handicap on the front 9 it would be only Par+1 = 5.

Am I doing this correctly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Need hope posting to GHIN.

I am trying to understand what score to post for a "Skipped Hole".  This weekend I needed to sip hole #4 due to a slow group in front and hoping to finish by sunset.  We played only 9 holes.  Per GHIN, my Course Handicap is 11 for the front 9.  The hole skipped was a Par 4 and was the #5 handicap overall. On the Front 9 it would be the #3 handicap hole. 

I am thinking it should be recorded as a Bogie-5.  I am assuming I would be 1 stroke on each hole then a 2nd stroke on the #1 & #2 Handicap holes on the front 9.  Since this is the #3 Handicap on the front 9 it would be only Par+1 = 5.

Am I doing this correctly?

That's correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed yesterday that my GHIN Membership was showing 2 courses for my home course.  One I had never played at. My GHIN membership is through the Golf Association of Michigan (GAM) and I saw the same on the GAM website.  I emailed GAM and got a response this afternoon.  Apparently there was a test each course needed to complete by Aug. 31st to allow them to continue to offer handicap posting and my home course did not complete the test.  As a result GAM assigned me to another course so I could keep my GHIN through Dec. 31st but will need to find a new home course when I renew my GAM for 2021, unless my home course does the exam before year end.

Has anyone else seen similar?  Any idea if the test is hard or costly? Any idea why my home course, a municipal course, would not have done it?

I know my HC is high but I still like that is is GHIN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, StuM said:

Noticed yesterday that my GHIN Membership was showing 2 courses for my home course.  One I had never played at. My GHIN membership is through the Golf Association of Michigan (GAM) and I saw the same on the GAM website.  I emailed GAM and got a response this afternoon.  Apparently there was a test each course needed to complete by Aug. 31st to allow them to continue to offer handicap posting and my home course did not complete the test.  As a result GAM assigned me to another course so I could keep my GHIN through Dec. 31st but will need to find a new home course when I renew my GAM for 2021, unless my home course does the exam before year end.

Has anyone else seen similar?  Any idea if the test is hard or costly? Any idea why my home course, a municipal course, would not have done it?

I know my HC is high but I still like that is is GHIN

I attended a handicap clinic late last year, offered through my state association.  We did take a short simple quiz for record purposes, and I'd bet that's the test being discussed.  You're supposed to have a handicap committee at each course, and someone in the Committee is supposed to be somewhat qualified.  The responsible person may even be able to take the test through the GAM or through USGA online, at no cost.

That's my best guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I attended a handicap clinic late last year, offered through my state association.  We did take a short simple quiz for record purposes, and I'd bet that's the test being discussed.  You're supposed to have a handicap committee at each course, and someone in the Committee is supposed to be somewhat qualified.  The responsible person may even be able to take the test through the GAM or through USGA online, at no cost.

That's my best guess

Could be, GAM suggested I contact the course and encourage them to do the exam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/9/2020 at 8:13 PM, StuM said:

Could be, GAM suggested I contact the course and encourage them to do the exam.

Here are a couple of sources.  The GAM page talks only about in-person seminars, but there may be online options available at this stage.  It does say that someone from each club will be required to have one person pass the certification test before June 30.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/whsonlineseminar1.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

44 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Here are a couple of sources.  The GAM page talks only about in-person seminars, but there may be online options available at this stage.  It does say that someone from each club will be required to have one person pass the certification test before June 30.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/whsonlineseminar1.html

 

 

My state association held it virtually and posted to youtube. Then has a link to take the quiz to be certified. 

Edited by phillyk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Here are a couple of sources.  The GAM page talks only about in-person seminars, but there may be online options available at this stage.  It does say that someone from each club will be required to have one person pass the certification test before June 30.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/whsonlineseminar1.html

 

 

Thx for the link.  I should find time to do it myself.

OK, I just started the link....it is Free, only need to view 4 videos of which 1st is only @ 15 minutes.  Quiz is 20 questions, open book, need only 80% to pass and can take the quiz repeatedly until passing.  I see no reason my course could not have done this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FYI:   I am a member of TheGrint.   They calculate my handicap.   Recently I only had time for 9 holes.   I joined with another single during the round so it counted toward my handicap.   When I entered my round they took 1/2 of the course rating and the slope was different than what the USGA rating database showed for the 9 that I played.
 

I contacted them and they said they weren't capable yet of having the correct slope and handicap for each individual 9 hole course.   

UGH!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

FYI:   I am a member of TheGrint.   They calculate my handicap.   Recently I only had time for 9 holes.   I joined with another single during the round so it counted toward my handicap.   When I entered my round they took 1/2 of the course rating and the slope was different than what the USGA rating database showed for the 9 that I played.
 

I contacted them and they said they weren't capable yet of having the correct slope and handicap for each individual 9 hole course.   

UGH!

 

Its hard to believe that they can't do it. the data storage and computational requirements just don't seem that huge.  The 9-hole CR and Slope is readily available from the USGA website, the Grint simply needs to add it to their own database.  I know there are thousands of courses, its a big job, but they've had a year to get it done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, dennyjones said:

FYI:   I am a member of TheGrint.   They calculate my handicap.   Recently I only had time for 9 holes.   I joined with another single during the round so it counted toward my handicap.   When I entered my round they took 1/2 of the course rating and the slope was different than what the USGA rating database showed for the 9 that I played.
 

I contacted them and they said they weren't capable yet of having the correct slope and handicap for each individual 9 hole course.   

UGH!

 

Any reason you are not using GHIN directly?

I am a member of GAM (Golf Association of Michigan) ( Cost = $39) and I getI GHIN  handicap posting capabilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, StuM said:

Any reason you are not using GHIN directly?

I am a member of GAM (Golf Association of Michigan) ( Cost = $39) and I getI GHIN  handicap posting capabilities.

Not really.   I was grandfathered in to the cheaper rate of $19.99 / yr.    The cost isn't the factor, it's just $$.   I like the data they supply.   I use Game Golf but I'm not sure how long they will continue to be operational.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

England golf have now released handicaps under WHS, I presume the rest of the UK is the same.  My handicap dropped 1.7 shots down to 12.3.  Anyone else in the UK notice a big drop in handicap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RustUK said:

England golf have now released handicaps under WHS, I presume the rest of the UK is the same.  My handicap dropped 1.7 shots down to 12.3.  Anyone else in the UK notice a big drop in handicap?

I’ve dropped from 5.3 to 3.0. But I’ve only played 20 counting scores in the last 2 years. My six oldest rounds are all garbage as well so I won’t be going up anytime soon. No wins unless I get practicing 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/23/2020 at 10:57 AM, RustUK said:

England golf have now released handicaps under WHS, I presume the rest of the UK is the same.  My handicap dropped 1.7 shots down to 12.3.  Anyone else in the UK notice a big drop in handicap?

Mine jumped up from 12.5 to 13.6 which was pretty much as expecting as golf has been pretty awful bar the odd ok round for a while now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • I’d like to see this evaluation done with the Mevo+. I’d like to know how the horizontal launch angle and spin axis compares to GC4. I do know that for the regular Mevo, the data I get hitting into my net is very similar to what I see in lessons with GC4. Hopefully they get to it at some point. One thing about TXG guys is that I can’t tell how sincere they are - don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the content they create, and watch many of their reviews, but I haven’t ever seen them outright say something sucks, which makes me a touch skeptical of their motives.
    • I thought I heard them say that they'd be doing more launch monitors. I'd guess Mevo will be one of them - if I heard correctly.
    • Day 346 Superspeed workout. Just sticking with protocol 2 until January when the TST superspeed accountability/progress group kicks off. Also did some tempo drills while getting warm for the superspeed stuff. 
    • Day 75 - More swings inside, really focused on the first part of my takeaway.
    • They did do this in an episode, and I believe Mike shot -2, the differential was like 1.9 though. One thing that was brought up to them by a playing partner was it's one thing to carry a 0.0 handicap at a home course, but another thing entirely to do it at a larger group of courses. They said "that makes sense" "good idea" etc., but did not stick to that plan either.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AlexPodlogar
      AlexPodlogar
      (45 years old)
    2. big6_76
      big6_76
      (44 years old)
    3. gowpowdsp
      gowpowdsp
      (46 years old)
    4. mambo1888
      mambo1888
      (37 years old)
    5. Stanley51
      Stanley51
      (69 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...