IGNORED

Stupid mistake regripping my irons

Note: This thread is 3005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was a complete idiot and failed to realise that I needed to remove both sides of the backing on this grip tape.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Re-Grip-Kit-14-Golf-Clubs-HF-100-Solvent-8oz-Tape-Shaft-Protector-/121232086027?hash=item1c39fed40b

Nine grips down but they feel fine and there's no slipping... will I get away with this or have I wasted an annoying amount of time and money?

4 minutes ago, idiotgolfer said:

I was a complete idiot and failed to realise that I needed to remove both sides of the backing on this grip tape.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Re-Grip-Kit-14-Golf-Clubs-HF-100-Solvent-8oz-Tape-Shaft-Protector-/121232086027?hash=item1c39fed40b

Nine grips down but they feel fine and there's no slipping... will I get away with this or have I wasted an annoying amount of time and money?

Welcome to the forum. Grip tape usually only has one side that needs removed. If you applied the tape, then peeled the covering film, you should be all set. The outside would have been sticky.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use Pure Grips, and I've installed them without solvent and with regular masking tape underneath just to provide a little more thickness.  I've also used this method to install Golf Pride Niions twice, and in neither case have I had any problems with slipping or anything.

My (very UNexpert) opinion is that you're probably fine. :)

Welcome to the forum, @idiotgolfer ,  I'm guessing you found this out when you examined one of your tape strips, and found backing on both sides.  As long as your grip doesn't slip, it should be fine, although your grip is a teeny bit larger than you had planned, due to the thickness of the backing that you left on.  If you find it rotating, pull it off, remove the backing, and re-install it, but I have a feeling you'll be fine.  Pure brand  grips are often installed without any grip tape, using their specialized compressed-air installation tool, and that works pretty well.  Like @boogielicious says, if you get a roll of grip tape, it'll have backing on only one side, but in buying pre-cut strips I can understand why there's backing on both.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Welcome to the forum. Grip tape usually only has one side that needs removed. If you applied the tape, then peeled the covering film, you should be all set. The outside would have been sticky.

On a roll of tape yes, but the pre-cut strips of double sided tape have both sided covered. I figure @idiotgolfer put the sticky side on the shaft (impossible to do it the other way) so it should be good. I just have masking tape under my grips and they are fine.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Welcome to the forum, @idiotgolfer ,  I'm guessing you found this out when you examined one of your tape strips, and found backing on both sides.  As long as your grip doesn't slip, it should be fine, although your grip is a teeny bit larger than you had planned, due to the thickness of the backing that you left on.  If you find it rotating, pull it off, remove the backing, and re-install it, but I have a feeling you'll be fine.  Pure brand  grips are often installed without any grip tape, using their specialized compressed-air installation tool, and that works pretty well.  Like @boogielicious says, if you get a roll of grip tape, it'll have backing on only one side, but in buying pre-cut strips I can understand why there's backing on both.

This is exactly what happened.  Sounds like I might get away with it though, will keep my fingers crossed!  Thanks for your replies everyone.

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I use Pure Grips, and I've installed them without solvent and with regular masking tape underneath just to provide a little more thickness.  I've also used this method to install Golf Pride Niions twice, and in neither case have I had any problems with slipping or anything.

My (very UNexpert) opinion is that you're probably fine. :)

No solvent? That could be pretty cool. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 minutes ago, Lihu said:

No solvent? That could be pretty cool. . .

Yup, this is exactly what I was referring to.  I've had an air compressor and that gun for a few years now so I can always grip and un-grip when necessary.  It's very handy. :)

Just now, Golfingdad said:

Yup, this is exactly what I was referring to.  I've had an air compressor and that gun for a few years now so I can always grip and un-grip when necessary.  It's very handy. :)

Yeah, I hate the solvent getting everywhere. It even melts through latex and nitrile. Going to try my compressor next time I change the grips. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You'll be fine.  Some people do it on purpose for adding layers to thicken the grip anyway...

Bill - 

4 hours ago, idiotgolfer said:

Try with all your might to get the new grips off. If they come off, remove the backing you left on the tape and reinstall. If you have none of that spray left, Just use white spirits.

If you can't get the grips off, no problem, they're stuck on!

Either way no problem!

In the bag:

Driver Taylormade Burner 9.5. 3W Fusion Vantage 5W Taylormade Burner.

Hybrid: Dunlop Tour Red 18. 4-SW Taylormade RSI 1. Putter Taylormade Ghost TM 880 Tour

64.14 Dunlop HDD Lob Wedge

5 hours ago, idiotgolfer said:

This is exactly what happened.

You could remove them easily using air pressure. Then install them properly.

Take the clubs to any golf store if you don't a compressor. They will fix you up.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!