IGNORED

What spot would you aim for.

9wood
Note: This thread is 3018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I think a decent player would do just fine on that hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Good observations. One thing you're not able to notice however is how fast the green actually is on this hole. 

Every ball I have ever seen hit the green has always ended up somewhere near that 542' marker, and that's a good distance uphill and back to the green

The 542' marker is not 20 yards off the green - more like 20 yards from the center of the green.  

As mentioned, it's very hard to evaluate with any certainty because we have never actually seen the course, but it really doesn't look as hard as you say it is - it may actually be, but none of the available data indicates one way or the other.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

Everything looks flat on Google Earth.

Here's hole 4 at Altadena that I alluded to in an earlier post in this thread. Actually, it looks much worse on Google Earth than in real life, although most golfers feel like it's this bad. :-P

56cf5ccf45386_AltadenaHole4Par3.thumb.pn56cf5ccc31ab5_AltadenaHole4Par3green.thu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

The 542' marker is not 20 yards off the green - more like 20 yards from the center of the green.  

As mentioned, it's very hard to evaluate with any certainty because we have never actually seen the course, but it really doesn't look as hard as you say it is - it may actually be, but none of the available data indicates one way or the other.

You'd have to see and play it before you could fully understand. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, 9wood said:

You'd have to see and play it before you could fully understand. 

I'm going to just come out and say it, and I'm sure you will disagree, but still…

I don't think that it's possible for a 138-yard hole with a little bunker to be anywhere near as difficult as you are portraying it to be. Not without the green being gimmicky firm or something, and in upstate New York, that's almost impossible given that your weather isn't going to be very different than mine.

I think you simply aren't giving credit to how good a player can be. PGA Tour greens are quite firm, and yet, they stop balls on them from 200 yards out hitting 5I downwind. I'm pretty sure a good player can stop a ball on a green that doesn't appear and doesn't measure in Google Earth to be severely tilted.

I fully believe that you've never seen anyone stop a ball on the green. But for that to be true, you've simply never seen a really good player hit a PW or 9I on that hole.

The sixth green at Whispering Woods takes anywhere from a 7I to a 3I depending on your length, the temperature, and how far back the tees are. It slopes away from you and is atop a hill. Golfers can stop the ball on the front third of that green, or hit the middle and stop it well before it goes off the back. And that's from 185-210.

If this hole is such that a good player cannot stop a ball on the green, it's gimmicky and not really worth discussion.

Outside of that, the answer to your question remains: hit the ball so it finishes as close to the hole as possible.

P.S. If you're asking people how YOU should play the hole, or how they would play it given some conditions that match up with your game (i.e. you're hitting a 7I and can't stop it on the green easily), then that's a different question altogether. I'd say hit an 8I so it bounces or trickles on to the front edge and play it from there. It sounds like you'd get closer doing it that way than bouncing a 7I off the back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Other than the fact that this is an impossible green to play unless you hole your shot, I would hit a cut to the pin so the chances are higher that my uphill putt will be shorter.

Austin Sachs - Mid-level Amateur in the Eastern United States

WITB: Titleist 915 D3, Cleveland 588 3 Wood, Nike Covert Tour Hybrid, Mizuno MP-4 4-PW, Mizuno MP-T4 52, 56, 60 degree, Taylormade White Smoke Putter

I think a urethane ball could hold just about any green if struck properly.  I'd usually hit a smooth 8 iron from 138, but I could get a SW there if needed.  That might be the shot if it really is that tough to hold.

There is a 200 yard par 3 that I play for just short of the green because I can't get a 4 iron to hold the green.  I usually play a cut to help it stop as well.

Back when I first started and played Rock Flites all the time, there was on par 5 that I could never hit the green and hold.  Too much clay in the soil.  The green was like asphalt.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

59 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think that it's possible for a 138-yard hole with a little bunker to be anywhere near as difficult as you are portraying it to be. 

I think you simply aren't giving credit to how good a player can be.

If this hole is such that a good player cannot stop a ball on the green, it's gimmicky and not really worth discussion.

Those who have played the hole say it's a very difficult hole

And finally I never stated in any of my posts that a good player cannot get the ball to stop on the green. If you go into the pro shop the word is that it is almost impossible to to get a ball to sit on this green. That comes from the management. 

1 minute ago, 9wood said:

Those who have played the hole say it's a very difficult hole

And finally I never stated in any of my posts that a good player cannot get the ball to stop on the green. If you go into the pro shop the word is that it is almost impossible to to get a ball to sit on this green. That comes from the management. 

Then management should fix the green, because a par 3 that is impossible to stick is bullshit. 

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just now, Ernest Jones said:

Then management should fix the green, because a par 3 that is impossible to stick is bullshit. 

People who play it love the challenge it presents so no change will be coming any time soon

I like a good challenge, then I like masochism. :-D

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

1 hour ago, 9wood said:

People who play it love the challenge it presents so no change will be coming any time soon

That doesn't sound like a challenge, it just sounds gimmicky. Good hole designs reward good shots and punish bad ones, give you different risk/reward options, etc. You hit the green with a good shot and it should stay there, not funnel all the way down the back for no real good reason.

This hole sounds like the golf equivalent of a carnival ring toss.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I don't think there's any 140 yard hole that I can't land on the green and hold it. Certainly not any I've ever played. And I'm not any good either, so...?

Colin P.

@9wood,

These kind of threads can be fun. We are all trying to improve our game and how to play different holes helps out. In the future, if you could provide a bit more information in the OP, even a Google Earth photo, it would make it easier to discuss. Details on why the hole plays a certain way help too. Things like ground condition, green hardness, etc.are helpful as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I don't think there's any 140 yard hole that I can't land on the green and hold it. Certainly not any I've ever played. And I'm not any good either, so...?

Ditto, here. I get at least 7000rpm with my 9i, I can't imagine not sticking that green if I hit it.

The times I've hit the green on this hole below which is a short 326 yard par 4 with LW to 8i approach depending upon what you use for the tee shot has a similar shot to the one described in the OP, I stuck it even when the ground was really dry. I also rolled off about half the time as well when it was that dry (Teflon greens). It's Brookside Course 2 hole 8. I hit it about 25% of the time, and stick it most of the time except when the greens are running really fast and dry.

56d05288ce8c4_BrooksideCourse2Hole8Green

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

11 hours ago, billchao said:

That doesn't sound like a challenge, it just sounds gimmicky. Good hole designs reward good shots and punish bad ones, give you different risk/reward options, etc. You hit the green with a good shot and it should stay there, not funnel all the way down the back for no real good reason.

This hole sounds like the golf equivalent of a carnival ring toss.

Personally, I find the hole challenging as do many other who play it. It's a hole that you have to work to just get par. 

3 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Personally, I find the hole challenging as do many other who play it. It's a hole that you have to work to just get par. 

Most par 3 are like that. You need to work hard for par.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

@9wood,

These kind of threads can be fun. We are all trying to improve our game and how to play different holes helps out. In the future, if you could provide a bit more information in the OP, even a Google Earth photo, it would make it easier to discuss. Details on why the hole plays a certain way help too. Things like ground condition, green hardness, etc.are helpful as well.

The greens on this course have the shortest and fastest turf of any course I have ever played. Take that combined with the firmness, slope and speed of the green and you have a challenging green. People who never played it say it's not difficult. Those who have actually played it say otherwise

Note: This thread is 3018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!